Author Topic: Why Dont Dealers or Auction Houses Mention Restorers' Names?  (Read 23688 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Why Dont Dealers or Auction Houses Mention Restorers' Names?
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2016, 09:22:46 PM »
the US OS it is the only format that honours Ford's landscape and cinematography. The only one where  you can see the horizon and skyline  without any lettering.

I think the Japanese poster makes a great, lower-cost alternative as well! I put them up side-by-side below and adjusted the output dimensions to match their actual relative sizes.  Even though the Japanese B2 is a smaller poster the size of the actual art is quite close. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2016, 09:23:54 PM »
I did see an eBay listing once where the seller touted that the poster had been restored by Chris Cloutier of Posterfix.  I definitely did not bid on that one.

The Elmer's Glue paper repairs would be one of the dead giveaways, Deke.  Doh.gif

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2016, 09:58:49 PM »
The Elmer's Glue paper repairs would be one of the dead giveaways, Deke.  Doh.gif

Don't forget the brown-orange rings from rusty cans being set directly on the image surface  :o

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 10:13:31 PM »
Don't forget the brown-orange rings from rusty cans being set directly on the image surface  :o

Yup...

That's because "rust orange" isnt a true, water color pencil shade. So it has to be gotten from the true rusted source...  ;D

But getting back to the point here. We still know his name, and he often does less than "stellar" work.

Who are those doing the good work for the auction houses? Why is it OK to only know the names of the ones that are sub par?

Seems backwards.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:16:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 11:57:34 PM »
They can't go by here say either. If I say Dario did this they need actual proof he did, to be able to say he did. :)

I also agree with some of the other comments. Most people who are spending thousands don't really care who did the work. They just tell Jeeves to get me this. Obviously, if it was glaringly crappy most places wouldn't even auction it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 12:13:30 AM »
They can't go by here say either. If I say Dario did this they need actual proof he did, to be able to say he did. :)

I also agree with some of the other comments. Most people who are spending thousands don't really care who did the work. They just tell Jeeves to get me this. Obviously, if it was glaringly crappy most places wouldn't even auction it.

I guess my point, Anthony, is that if all the pre-restoration flaws/damage are pointed out, as a matter of descriptive fact, and then those flaws, or damage are then be spoken of, as being "expertly addressed & repaired, restored or conserved" which is also as part of a poster's auction descriptive), then why isnt the person who did that work, also named in that paragraph? Just the same as an auction house or dealer will mention the name of the poster artist, if it's known.

Im not meaning it needs to be announced with a 21 gun salute or anything...LOL, but simply included, as a matter of course.  :)

-Jeff

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 12:31:04 AM »
I agree. If they know for certain who did it then they should mention the info. I just think a lot of times they're not going to know for certain who worked on it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2016, 12:46:08 AM »
Yes, true. If the restorer is unknown, then so be it.

BUT -----

In many situations (again, not all), a seller, dealer or auctioneer does know this info (or better yet, a Dealer/Auctioneer has sent a poster off to be restored him/herself) to be worked on, prior to auctioning it.

Why then, is that person described, subsequently & generically, only as "the restorer?"

Don't they deserve credit for the work they have done?

I think they do. 

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2016, 01:25:16 AM »
last time I got something done (the Searchers half sheet) I showed front & back before & after pics & explained that Mario Cueva did the work

of course, I can only do this when I get the work done, which is rare, as I believe that paper must be allowed to roam free, like free range chickens.

Agreed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:29:32 AM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2016, 01:30:40 AM »
If people cant simply explain and "fess up" as to what was done and want to go thru all the trouble of a "fictional fabrication...."

..... then so be it.

I would expect more, though, from "world recognized" auctioneers and dealers.  :P

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2016, 01:30:58 AM »
I think the Japanese poster makes a great, lower-cost alternative as well! I put them up side-by-side below and adjusted the output dimensions to match their actual relative sizes.  Even though the Japanese B2 is a smaller poster the size of the actual art is quite close. 

That Japanese poster is a beaut.  Thanks for sharing that.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2016, 01:35:57 AM »
A hologram sounds good like of image of restorer like of Chris Cloutier plus have additional 12 point security features just to be sure.

Also good to know the exact name of the restorer and the number of years experience the restorer had at that time, for example "Chris Cloitier - 2 months experience" plus if the restorer was going thru a life crisis like marriage breakdown, good extra information too.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 01:46:05 AM »

+ 1, Matt.

It knocks it out of the park.

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 01:47:55 AM »
Lawl @ Steve.

I see what you mean, Jeff.  I edited my comment, although I was referring to what a consignor could do, as far as saying one thing when actually something far from that may have taken place.  A fancy hologram, correlating to a report from the resto. company would be a good way to prove it's all legit.

Anyway, I missed what you said here, which I agree with.

cheers

Yes, true. If the restorer is unknown, then so be it.

BUT -----

In many situations (again, not all), a seller, dealer or auctioneer does know this info (or better yet, a Dealer/Auctioneer has sent a poster off to be restored him/herself) to be worked on, prior to auctioning it.

Why then, is that person described, subsequently & generically, only as "the restorer?"

Don't they deserve credit for the work they have done?

I think they do.  
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:11:39 AM by Neo »

Mirosae

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 05:50:01 AM »
I think the Japanese poster makes a great, lower-cost alternative as well!

]

Matt it is always a pleasure to read what catches your eyes. The Japanese  is wonderful . Their Stagecoah is so playful too, with a tiny John Ford head at the top. Love them...(don't you think their Western posters are amongst the best, like the Italians.

Thank you for posting this.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 12:16:23 PM »
Lawl @ Steve.

I see what you mean, Jeff.  I edited my comment, although I was referring to what a consignor could do, as far as saying one thing when actually something far from that may have taken place.  A fancy hologram, correlating to a report from the resto. company would be a good way to prove it's all legit.

Anyway, I missed what you said here, which I agree with.

cheers

Yeah, Brandon, I know there could be some potential for deception, but if a consignor sends off a piece that has been wonderfully restored, then you would think that, along with telling the auction house what was done, repair-wise or other, that the name of the person who did that work would also be included in the "packaging notes." If the work was less than, then I could see someone fudging the identity, maybe.

This way, the dealer/auctioneer knows this info, even if they werent the ones who had the work done, and can also include the name in the poster's description. 

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2016, 01:49:09 PM »

There is also the illusive UK quad!  Again, I tried to roughly approximate the actual size compared to the US and Japanese posters...

And of course, we can't forget the 6-sheet :-)

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 02:12:19 PM »
Nice seeing them relative to their sizes. Good work!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 04:04:11 PM »
while all those posters shown in the thread are cool looking, I wonder what pertinence they have to this thread?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2016, 04:06:21 PM »
It was worth restoring Rich. Searchers is a splendid film. While the HS might not be as visually elegant  as the US OS it is the only format that honours Ford's landscape and cinematography. The only one where  you can see the horizon and skyline  without any lettering.

Splendid.

You started it  :P
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:07:21 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2016, 07:31:07 PM »
Earlier, Rich mentioned and gave an example of a poster he sent to be restored, prior to him auctioning it. It was a (Searchers HS, done by Mario Cueva @ Lumiere Poster Restoration). It turned out beautifully, too. So kudos to Mario, for his fine work done on that piece.  clap

Hopefully Bruce will chime in this thread, as it would be great to know his thoughts on the subject, too.  :D

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2016, 08:24:56 PM »
Also the use of a sliding scale: for example, according to EMP a 1950s poster can look much shittier than 1980s one, yet both be "very good".  This makes sense, but it makes it even harder to land on a common system.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2016, 12:43:53 AM »
Also the use of a sliding scale: for example, according to EMP a 1950s poster can look much shittier than 1980s one, yet both be "very good".  This makes sense, but it makes it even harder to land on a common system.

Vick, I like the idea of a sliding scale for identifying restorers and what posters they worked on. Maybe that's the way to do it!!  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
A year and a day since my last post in this thread, and the main query has yet to be fully explained.  crying   ;D

When people consign to auction houses, is there a line or section on the consignment form that asks about restoration, the specific retouch/repair work done and by whom, (if an item that is sent off to that auction hosue is already linen backed)?

If not, it seems like it would make sense to have that, so that the auction house could then know what was done and by what restorer.

And to then be able to pass that information along to bidders, in the lot description.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:38:19 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »
While I agree it would be great to know who has worked on which posters (and exactly what was done to them) - I think the difficulty lies in when posters have been resold many times over.  Confirmation of the original restorer is simply lost by that point since there really is no standard or accepted documentation method in the hobby that stays with the poster over time...
Chris