Author Topic: Damaged Cuban VIETNAM poster by Rene Mederos - Advise?  (Read 9102 times)

Scratch

Damaged Cuban VIETNAM poster by Rene Mederos - Advise?
« on: November 18, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »
New guy here, with a poster question. Not sure if this belongs here or in the Valuation Forum, but I'll try it here first.

I recently bought an estate of Vietnam War-era military stuff, and in it was this (propaganda? travel?) poster.  According to my quick internet research, the poster is by Cuban propaganda artist Rene Mederos.  One site devoted to the artist says of the poster "The original silkscreens were done in poster size and for this limited edition book they were all redone for the smaller size. Only a few of these still exist."

As you can see, it is in a poor state.  Is it really that rare? Looking at this strictly as an investment, is it worth sinking money into to get it repaired?  Any idea what it's value would be before/after repair?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 02:38:26 PM by Scratch »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Damaged Cuban VIETNAM poster by Rene Mederos - Advise?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »
That's a beautiful poster.

I would for sure at least get a quote to see what it would cost to have repaired and possibly linen backed.

And  welcome1 to the forum!!

Glad the Reg. went smoothly.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 03:41:39 PM »
I would send your pic(s) to Mario Cueva at Lumiere Poster Restoration and see what he feels it might cost. It certainly is one that I think I would have conserved and repaired, too, considering when and where it was from.

His website is: http://www.lumiereposterrestoration.com/index.html

He has done the work on some of these posters here (those posted by Mac Apple):

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,7226.0.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:44:13 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 03:43:41 PM »
was poking around on the internets and heres a link that doesnt value it but the the archivist finds it the most appealing poster.  thumbsup.gif

https://uclasaa.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/fields-of-endeavor-bo-doub/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:44:03 PM by jedgerley »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »
New guy here, with a poster question. Not sure if this belongs here or in the Valuation Forum, but I'll try it here first.

I recently bought an estate of Vietnam War-era military stuff, and in it was this (propaganda? travel?) poster.  According to my quick internet research, the poster is by Cuban propaganda artist Rene Mederos.  One site devoted to the artist says of the poster "The original silkscreens were done in poster size and for this limited edition book they were all redone for the smaller size. Only a few of these still exist."

As you can see, it is in a poor state.  Is it really that rare? Looking at this strictly as an investment, is it worth sinking money into to get it repaired?  Any idea what it's value would be before/after repair?

I know someone who collects Cuban posters and I'm pretty sure they have this exact poster. I'll inquire with them...

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 10:17:39 PM »
Hey Scratch, welcome!

Cool poster.  Score any more cool estate finds?