Author Topic: Autographs on Posters  (Read 2307 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Autographs on Posters
« on: October 21, 2015, 07:27:45 PM »
I saw that EMP will be having an autograph-based auction this coming Sunday, on 11/25.

With all the discussion of how easy it can be to forge a signature, and because a number of the poster descriptions in this auction state they are from a long time collector but who cannot recall how the sigs were gotten or when, how is a winning bidder ever certain, if the auction house cant say something is 100% genuine?

Lots of other cool looking, official paperwork, letterhead stationary and letters, that kind of thing, too, in this auction, so I'm not meaning that kind of material.

More just the signed posters.

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Autographs on Posters
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 08:16:01 PM »
Many people who are into autographs seem to think that they, or a service such as PSA/DNA, can authenticate them.  Maybe the eMovie folks simply don't want to send everything to someone such as PSA/DNA for their supposed stamp of authenticity, as they think the signatures, story, consignor, etc. are enough to authenticate them.

As you said, and has been shown here with the bogus "signed by cast" one sheets, there are so many forgeries out there.  I think eMovie is doing the right thing with the descriptions, and ultimately, it's up to the buyer to make the decision to believe something is legit or not.

Personally, I think legit autographs and a lot of the stuff that have autographs are cool pieces of history.  Of course, the only 100% way to know a signature is legit is to see the person sign it him/herself.  A lot of people buying autographs may not have 100% faith in any that they haven't seen someone sign, and they're just going off of some probability that they accept.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »
Many people who are into autographs seem to think that they, or a service such as PSA/DNA, can authenticate them.  Maybe the eMovie folks simply don't want to send everything to someone such as PSA/DNA for their supposed stamp of authenticity, as they think the signatures, story, consignor, etc. are enough to authenticate them.

As you said, and has been shown here with the bogus "signed by cast" one sheets, there are so many forgeries out there.  I think eMovie is doing the right thing with the descriptions, and ultimately, it's up to the buyer to make the decision to believe something is legit or not.

Personally, I think legit autographs and a lot of the stuff that have autographs are cool pieces of history.  Of course, the only 100% way to know a signature is legit is to see the person sign it him/herself.  A lot of people buying autographs may not have 100% faith in any that they haven't seen someone sign, and they're just going off of some probability that they accept.

I do, too, Brandon. And the key word here, is "legit."

Otherwise, it is just someone else's scrawl that adds nothing to the poster or still.  :-\

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 08:39:40 PM »
real autograph collectors focus on documents

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 11:42:25 AM »

Interesting.  So documents with autographs are more sought after by some folks, than random things with autographs?

That would make sense.  I really don't see the appeal of something like a blank piece of paper with someone's signature on it, unless it was personally signed to the person.  Something like an old poster, still, etc. with an authentic autograph is another part of the history of the piece, and a historical document is significant in its own way, of course .

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 12:58:39 PM »

As oppose to fake autograph collectors, who just collect signatures??
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 04:55:49 AM »
As they say, even if it comes with a COA, what precisely certifies the COA?

Not interested anyway, but would never buy an autograph for the above reason.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 06:51:06 AM »
As you say Simon a COA is worthless, and I don't care who it's off.

I have several hundred Autographs I collected from being a Kid. The only ones I've bought were off a friend of mine, we both collected together starting at school, being like minded Monster Kids....  We would get them through the post, as "celebrities" were a bit more accommodating back then, well most of them.. Now-a-days, things are so different.

In recent years I've had items signed, as I've met quite a lot of the people involved with films I like, you get to meet them and watch them sign your item.

To "buy" any signature is a bit of a minefield, which is always open to fakes, more than any another field I think. The problem is if you want a person' signature who is dead, you have to tread that minefield, and this is where research, and more research is vital. It's not for everyone, but then again neither is collecting dusty old posters....   
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 12:35:46 PM »
As you say Simon a COA is worthless, and I don't care who it's off.

I have several hundred Autographs I collected from being a Kid. The only ones I've bought were off a friend of mine, we both collected together starting at school, being like minded Monster Kids....  We would get them through the post, as "celebrities" were a bit more accommodating back then, well most of them.. Now-a-days, things are so different.

In recent years I've had items signed, as I've met quite a lot of the people involved with films I like, you get to meet them and watch them sign your item.

To "buy" any signature is a bit of a minefield, which is always open to fakes, more than any another field I think. The problem is if you want a person' signature who is dead, you have to tread that minefield, and this is where research, and more research is vital. It's not for everyone, but then again neither is collecting dusty old posters....   

Great thought here, Paul, and oh so very true. On all counts.   thumbsup.gif

-Jeff