Author Topic: Snipes? Do you remove them or keep them?  (Read 10777 times)

Online bigmike

• Collector
Snipes? Do you remove them or keep them?
« on: October 11, 2015, 03:38:34 PM »
What are your opinion on snipes (ratings, stickers,etc)? Do you remove them or keep them as part of the posters history?

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
Re: Snipes? Do you remove them or keep them?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 03:45:04 PM »
I like to remove them if they are concealing an error or credit change as the original is usually more interesting.

Mark

Online bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »
Same with a rating change too?

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 04:19:27 PM »
Yes. But this is a personal preference. I can totally understand someone wishing to retain the snipe.

Mark

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 06:42:23 PM »
What are your opinion on snipes (ratings, stickers,etc)? Do you remove them or keep them as part of the posters history?

Mike, do you have a specific poster you are referring to, that you own? Or just the idea of snipes -keeping or not, in general?

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 07:03:03 PM »
Yeah, personal preference... remove 'em from one, stick 'em on another

Online bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 08:59:23 PM »
Nothing in particular. Just curious. I only have 3 posters with snipes on them and they are from the 70s-80s. So nothing really special.  Just curious on others opinions in general on the snipes.
I had a snipe on a Goodfellas poster, and decided to remove it. I'm just not fond of having stickers on the poster.

I was just curious, as I heard (not really related to snipes) was that on the earlier Italian posters, some had stamps on them. Similar to postage stamps. And that some collectors actually preferred to have the stamps on the poster. Was just curious as what collectors thought of the snipes. Like I said I am not really fond of having snipes, or stamps on my Italian posters.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:01:15 PM by bigmike »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 09:53:20 PM »
each poster is different, some snipes are ok, some snipes suck, some snipes RULE!
I generally leave them myself, they would need to be in the wrong spot (covering too much art or something)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 09:57:17 PM »
Nothing in particular. Just curious. I only have 3 posters with snipes on them and they are from the 70s-80s. So nothing really special.  Just curious on others opinions in general on the snipes.
I had a snipe on a Goodfellas poster, and decided to remove it. I'm just not fond of having stickers on the poster.

I was just curious, as I heard (not really related to snipes) was that on the earlier Italian posters, some had stamps on them. Similar to postage stamps. And that some collectors actually preferred to have the stamps on the poster. Was just curious as what collectors thought of the snipes. Like I said I am not really fond of having snipes, or stamps on my Italian posters.

Belgian posters, too, if used and in theaters, will very often have tax stamps on them. I have several like this and would never, personally, remove those, as they are a part of the poster's history, showing that it was used and put up for display.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 11:14:56 PM »
I have many with tax stamps and have never made an attempt to remove.  I usually leave pasted snipes intact as well.  The exception is when the snipe is particularly obnoxious.  An example is this half sheet I bought from Bruce.

At this point, the snipe covering the rating has been removed.  The big ugly one was glued on with wheat paste.  It is coming off slowly by using wet q-tips and patience peeling it off.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 12:05:56 AM »
A Belgian I have that has both the glued snipe at the top and a tax stamp on the upper right. Both will always remain in place, as neither detracts from the image or gets in the way.

Never Say Goodbye (1956), with Rock Hudson, Cornell Borchers & George Sanders

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:24:20 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 04:52:14 AM »
I prefer the posters, and FOH / Lobby cards, without to be honest.

I have replaced the cards that had snipes, with ones that don't.

I have had removed a snipe from a poster that I didn't think I would ever find again in my lifetime.  (I am not (knowingly) dying any time soon, you should understand.  Just an element of realism at work here)

Cheers.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »
I think it is complicated.  If it is a stamp, you either find another, or live with it.  If it is a pasted snipe, it kind of depends on whether the snipe enhances the history of the poster and whether the snipe is removable.  If the snipe is removable with some effort and the poster price suffered because of the snipe, then it is probably best to try and remove it.  If it sold for near market price, than exchanging for a better one or simply waiting is the better choice.  That American Graffiti one I showed sold for $70-100 less than other recent sales and is in pretty good shape other than the snipes.  Worth it to me to carefully remove them.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 03:35:40 AM by erik1925 »
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 02:28:43 PM »
I think it is complicated.  If it is a stamp, you either find another, or live with it.  If it is a pasted snipe, it kind of depends on whether the snipe enhances the history of the poster and whether the snipe is removable.  If the snipe is removable with some effort and the poster price suffered because of the snipe, then it is probably best to try and remove it.  If it sold for near market price, than exchanging for a better one or simply waiting is the better choice.  That American Graffiti one I showed sold for $70-100 less than other recent sales and is in pretty good shape other than the snipes.  Worth it to me to carefully remove them.

In that case, I would say that's the right move, jay. Plus, as you noted earlier, it was placed in a very blatant area, smack dab, just off center, and is distracting to the poster, as a whole.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:34:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 01:32:54 PM »
I'd say I love snipes as part of history as long as they are not unnecessary big. I've seen posters with snipes plastered for 25 % with other paper. Yikes.
I think the historic context is important. For example the German Blow-Up has to have a snipe as that is the title on which it is released. They changed the title when the posters were already printed. I've gone so far that with restoring a Macbeth poster used for the Dutch release, I've asked Dario to put the distributor's snipe back on, although on an esthetically smarter place.

Send pics later, links don't seem to work

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:05:29 PM by Mondo Hazardo »

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 01:56:02 AM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 02:11:55 AM »
 clap clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 05:36:08 AM »
WOW
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 08:47:16 AM »
Another stunning piece.
Looks like you've cornered the market on Welles' Macbeth.
Will this one be displayed side-by-side with the other?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:13:28 PM by erik1925 »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 08:53:54 AM »
That was a really clever solution.   thumbsup.gif
-Jay-

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 10:41:09 AM »
Keep em!  I buy posters just because they have the snipe...  If you are backing them, you can have them backed separately or added to the support.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 12:03:09 PM »
Removing Snips is sacrilege, I like Charlie buy posters just because they have them on. This is Cinema History to me, but then again I collect for the love of film and the Cinema, and not just for pretty pictures... :D
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 05:08:49 PM »

Again, beautiful before and after here.

I wanted to ask -- was the snipe moved to the upper right corner? Or was the logo re-created? The reason I'm asking is because I can't see the edge of the paper snipe; it is blended in & the same color as the background poster paper.

Or was most of the white background on the poster airbrushed to the more tan shade (as well as some of the reds in the upper right?) The un-restored poster looks much more white (white balance of the first pic being considered, too  :) ).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:47:54 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 07:32:21 PM »
I believe that is just the photo exposure, Jeff.
You can clearly see the Centra Film logo edge cutting into the red background.

What I'm more curious about though, is the angle of the Centra logo.
It is tilted on the resto.
I'm assuming that is the correct angle?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 04:40:12 PM »
There is this smaller snipe that I have debated about whether to leave or not. The snipe paper is pretty thin, so the original distributor's logo (IDIF) can be seen and made out underneath. Plus, it's up in the top, right corner, so really out of the way, and not that intrusive.

So I might just leave it alone, considering the logo underneath was also printed in white.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:17:15 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff