Author Topic: Thai movie posters  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Rooster112

• Beginner
Thai movie posters
« on: September 12, 2023, 01:36:35 AM »
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone knows of some Thailand movie poster sellers I am trying to find Boogie Nights 1997. No luck with Ebay. I found a shop in Thailand on the internet but I don't think the owner speaks english or ships items and I am in the U.S. so going to the shop is kind of out of the question. Any leads would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Thai movie posters
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 10:00:14 AM »
Hi Rooster112! Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure if she's still active on this board, but try sending a PM to the member Thaimoveposter: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=4549

There are some Thai sellers on Instagram too - perhaps try messaging them? I have not bought from them before, so make sure you use a safe method of payment such as Paypal (Goods):
https://www.instagram.com/tar.movieposter/
https://www.instagram.com/fivestar_thaimovieposters/
https://www.instagram.com/thai_movie_posters_forever/

Offline Rooster112

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 07:37:17 PM »
Hi Tob! 

Thank you for the welcome and the sources,  I will definetly see where they lead. Thank you!

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 02:58:20 AM »

To find local sellers, type "โปสเตอร์ภาพยนตร์ไทย" (translation of Thai movie poster in thai)
Here, two FB groups:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1617305505221305
https://www.facebook.com/groups/180699582483919/
Beware with thai posters   :-\
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline Rooster112

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 12:29:55 PM »
Hi BwanaDik!

Thank you for the links I don't  have Facebook but I think a few people I know have it. I will have to check to see if they do. Hopefully one of these groups will lead to one!  :)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 02:23:06 PM »
Thai posters are cool.  I really like them and I wish I had more of them.  For some reasons, it seems that less and less of them go up for sale.  Someone once told me that it was harder legally to let Thai artistic goods out of the country.  I don’t know how true that is.

What’s the interest in this specific poster, if I may ask?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Rooster112

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 11:14:02 PM »
Hi T!

Yes they are cool, there are so many with beautiful artwork. Sure you may ask, well I watched the movie when it came out in the theater and just loved it. The late 70s has always been a vibe I dig. Probably back in about 2010 I ran across a 5x25 mylar on ebay and bought it. Thats pretty much what started it I started collecting just about anything I could find that was from the movie, press kits, movie promo merchandise, t shirts, magazine articles etc. I have the posters from several other countries that I want but just cannot seem to be in the right place at the right time for the Thai version. As far as For the Thai posters it does not have the hand painted artwork like so many of the other movies. It is essentially just the U.S. poster with the Thai writing stuck in where it would fit. But it is Boogie Nights so I would love to have one, and also Thai symbols have a certain Beauty to them and are fascinating to look at even though I have no clue what it actually says haha. Thanks for your interest T!

Troy

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 04:54:31 AM »
Thai posters are cool.  I really like them and I wish I had more of them.  For some reasons, it seems that less and less of them go up for sale.  Someone once told me that it was harder legally to let Thai artistic goods out of the country.  I don’t know how true that is.

What’s the interest in this specific poster, if I may ask?

T

Many Thai posters have waves or other damages due to humidity.  For sure, Thai 2 sheets are rare... 1 sheets for foreign movie are plenty...
I have been in Thai collecting groups run by Thai only and selling mostly 2-sheet posters of Thai movies and indeed, many collectors mentioned that these posters must remain in Thailand and not to be sold abroad.  Thailand has indeed strict laws for sale of historic items, including work of art having historical values; the question is "do movie posters fall in this category?", I don't think so.
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline Rooster112

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 12:41:52 PM »
Thank you to everyone for the help. I located it.  :)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 01:05:17 PM »
Awesome!!!  I love it when it happens.

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2023, 01:26:56 AM »
Many Thai posters have waves or other damages due to humidity.  For sure, Thai 2 sheets are rare... 1 sheets for foreign movie are plenty...
I have been in Thai collecting groups run by Thai only and selling mostly 2-sheet posters of Thai movies and indeed, many collectors mentioned that these posters must remain in Thailand and not to be sold abroad.  Thailand has indeed strict laws for sale of historic items, including work of art having historical values; the question is "do movie posters fall in this category?", I don't think so.

Hi BwanaDik,
When I lived in Thailand, I could buy 2-sheet posters when I could find them.  I don't recall anyone telling me you couldn't export them. I just think the 2-sheets are more scarce.  Okie