Author Topic: Woodstock posters on Ebay  (Read 18848 times)

Through the Stones

Re: Woodstock posters on Ebay
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2013, 03:50:12 PM »
and Terminator, Back the Future and Bladerunner price decline begins, I'm sure the Thing and Excalibur piles were there somewhere as well.

Good!  Maybe I can get my hands on a Back to the Future finally!

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2013, 04:35:00 AM »
Ahhh..some more questionable provenance of the "late to the market" Woodstock style C...That is style C for Con artist crap, C for crummy crony capitalist hucksterism, C for corny free later release handout, C for clean copy creationist conspiracy....ahhhh nothing in the "research" that Mel wrote will ever make me pay $10 for this poster ..especially now...is there a single collector/dealer on this forum that handled this poster in the 1970's, 80's or 90's in regularity...it is common as shit now...and I think this new story raises more questions than it answers...

I would avoid this poster like the plague...

First Mel quotes..."he says the theater chain in Ohio for which his father worked received 1,000 of these "Style C" posters as promotional giveaways for the re-release"...

Later Mel quotes....  "He sold 1,000 of them cheap three years ago to a collector in Nashville, who apparently resold them to dealers"...

Uh... yeah ....I will buy all of these for $1 a piece right now...and put them in storage wrapped around Country Joe McDonalds ..fish n chips ...and sell the nicest copy through Christie's ...after destroying all but ONE of them...just to make them a hint rarer...

Personally this questionable poster just got more questionable as the hazy memory somehow became provenance...there is no documentable proof Mel...sorry...this silly poster is a now dead for me...I will advise people in the future to stay away...

So maybe a new thread is needed...what is the rarest bootleg poster?... The hairy belt, the haggard 3 sheets, the Minty white Saturday night fever insert....or the woodstock style C...for COMMMON COPY!!

Tait

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2013, 11:38:33 AM »
More great work Mel.

The thing about the NSS restrikes is that, unless I'm wrong, distinguishing them from the ones printed at the original time of release is now virtually impossible, right?
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Charlie

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2013, 11:41:51 AM »
All you can eat BBQ, $1.89

Just caught this?  Man you could have eaten there 20 times for the current cost of one poster shipment from Australia!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2013, 12:21:15 PM »
Articles about the NSS Kansas City facility dumping its film trailers in 1997:

http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/screen-test/Content?oid=2180748

http://mimezine.blogspot.com/2005_09_04_archive.html

The building that was throwing out the trailers was the National Screen Service building - in the old days of drive-ins and independently run theaters, Kansas City was a distribution hub. Continues Huggins, "NSS had been sold and the company that bought the building made movie tie-ins, stuff like Harry Potter collectible cards. They needed room, so they threw out this completely priceless and rare film. They had a dumpster, 18 feet long and 6 feet high - they filled that up!"

Another article about Charlotte NSS closing:

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/2006/10/national-screen-service-and-collecting.html

When the Charlotte branch closed, they hauled every bit of that stuff to a landfill. Policy dictated that none of it be sold or given away. This was at least twenty-five years ago. Someone with a transfer truck and a stout back could have put themselves by way of a lifetime annuity that day. Of course, these things wouldn’t be such e-bay magnets now if they'd had greater foresight then.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:37:45 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »
Look at that picture!  What a treasure hunt that would have been  :'(
Chris

Through the Stones

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2013, 09:35:18 PM »
That blog post from John McElwee and the NSS is amazing Mel!  The other pictures are just as fantastic too!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2013, 06:58:43 PM »
This is the Facebook page of Brian Pheneger, the source of the Style C Woodstock posters:

https://www.facebook.com/bpheneger

Check it out and decide for yourself whether he seems legit....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 06:58:49 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2013, 07:26:38 PM »
This is the Facebook page of Brian Pheneger, the source of the Style C Woodstock posters:

https://www.facebook.com/bpheneger

Check it out and decide for yourself whether he seems legit....

I've lost where it says/shows where he is actually selling them
David

guest4955

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2017, 12:41:14 PM »
Woodstock "Style C" US 1S (2017 rehash/update)

This is the toughest/most controversial authentication I ever attempted. The authentication is here:

http://moviepostercollectors.guide/MPC_Authentication_Woodstock_Style_C.html

The basic story - as you'll learn if you read this thread and the authentication - is that I bought this rolled poster and it appeared to be a stone-cold 1970s original - with perfect artwork, perfect tiny union 1970s logo, serial number on back, exactly 27"x41":

The "c" inexplicably was handwritten:

I interviewed the original source of these posters (this thread contains more details on my interviews):

Brian P., a former usher and theater manager, says that he and his father worked together in a theater in Lima Ohio.  His theater received over a thousand Woodstock Style Cs.  Brian can’t recall the exact date but believes it was in the late 1970s or early 1980s.  Apparently, these were supposed to be distributed to other theaters in the same chain but never were.  The posters were supposed to be given away to patrons but no one took them.  The theater manager told his father to throw them away but the father kept them and Brian later inherited them.  Brian says he has been giving copies of these away for years.  Brian moved to Nashville and has been a theater manager and union stage hand.  Three years ago he sold 400 of the “best copies” to a Nashville collector, who resold them to various movie posters dealers.  Brian says he still has 700 of these posters.

I interviewed two reputable dealers who had purchased stock from Brian. They were convinced the posters were original and that Brian's story was true. They had actually seen the original source rolls.

I took a "long-shot in the dark and searched the 'net for more info. Remarkably, I found an ad from the May 23, 1972 version of the Lima Ohio newspaper proving that local theaters in Lima were giving away original Woodstock posters:

Based on all the foregoing, I was convinced the "Style C" posters were 1970s originals.

But along came a spider.

In September 2011, MPGrading.com reported that the "Style C" suspected bootleg was printed on paper used beginning in the late 1980s.  Accordingly, it was "most likely a bootleg or a commercial poster."

Table 1. Fiber Identification of B-Style

Softwood bleached kraft – Hard Pine (Except Red & Scotch)

Hardwood bleached kraft – Redgum, Sycamore, Yellow-poplar, Blackgum, Maple

Coating flakes are yellowish

Appears to be a Southern Mix

Spot test implies this sample is most consistent with paper from before the late 1980’s.

Table 2. Fiber Identification of C-Style

Softwood bleached kraft – [Spruce and/or Hemlock], Hard Pine (Except Red & Scotch)

Hardwood bleached kraft – Populus spp., Birch

Hardwood bleached sulfite – Populus spp.

Coating flakes are yellowish

Appears to be a Northern Mix

Spot test implies this sample is most consistent with paper from the late 1980’s and after.

As reported on NS4 in 2011: 

"Here is a side by side visual comparison to show there is absolutely color differences in the two posters. Under a loop there is nothing detectible. However, the ink used in the style C is very different especially when we placed both posters on a light table. The Colors of the style B stay bold, but when the style C is placed the the light table the colors wash out almost completely. Picture of the light table colors will also be posted shortly."

In that thread I pointed out the LPIU logo only was used from 1972-1974 and in 2005 Ha.com had sold a machine-folded Style C (with handwritten C), indicating the Style C posters were also distributed to theaters for lobby use.

So that's where I left it when I exited the hobby in 2014.

In 2017 it appears that MPgrading is out of business. I remain convinced that the Style C posters are 1970 originals based on all the evidence. I note that at least one current seller on eBay is selling another folded Style C:

So what do y'all think?

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »
Good work, all around.  Maybe being a detective is your true calling, Mel.  Or a treasure hunter.

A heckuva rollercoaster ride there.  It's like a trail of breadcrumbs that leads to the diamond, which then turns out to be a potential fugazi.  faint2.gif

I wonder what the deal is with the OG source Brian and how he had and still has hundreds of these.  Maybe his story about the theater having this style poster is true, although possibly not as many as he claimed, and then 'someone' made very good fakes from one or more of those originals. 

In any case, it's good to know that the MPgrading guy was able to do solid, scientific analysis.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 01:16:02 PM by Neo »

guest4955

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2017, 05:49:23 PM »
So I'm putting on my "enthusiastic amateur" authentication hat again.

I won a folded "Style C" Woodstock 1S MP auction cheap via 3rd party from my BF Tom Locust. He apparently has a cache of these bc he's saying he has "2" available, which he also claims for his unlimited stash of bootleg Star Wars:

But HA sold an identical "wilding" folded C in 2005:

Woodstock (Warner Brothers, 1970). One Sheet (27" X 41"). The, "Woodstock," pressbook encourages theater owners to acquire several copies of this style "C" poster for "wild posting in your neighborhood." This classic poster from the three-day love fest film, most likely, never appeared in front of the box office, but were seen on buildings and fences all over the city. This glossy stock one sheet has some heavy fold lines, slight edge and fold tears, and a few instances of minor crumpling and faint staining. Fine.

It's possible that TL bought them from Brian Pheneger, the Nashville source of the hundreds of rolled C MPs that hit eBay a few years ago. TL definitely bought/resold some of those. But as far as I know BP only had rolled Cs

My folded C is identical to my prior rolled C except that the ink has flaked off in small spots throughout the poster - something I've never seen before - and doesn't have the mysterious serial number on the back like all the rolled Cs. They both have the microscopic, perfectly detailed union logo, which is impossible to recreate digitally:

So given everything - the precise folds, perfect union 1970s logo, the 2005 HA sale, the existence of the similar rolled Cs, the relativelysmall demand for Woodstock movie posters - I surmise it's legit. Still the flaking and TL's involvement are concerning. But I got it for $40 so my investment is minimal.