Author Topic: Some of my Polish Collection  (Read 13017 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Some of my Polish Collection
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2015, 07:58:36 PM »
The paper that was used during the communist reign in Poland was quite thin and it does age and goes slighty of colour (a lot of the posters I have from Poland are frail and easily tear). This poster was in fairly good condition but it had a central fold which was quite deep (I don't like to frame folded posters if I can help) and it had a couple of small edge tears.  I thought the backing of the poster which I believe includes cleaning it would make the poster look cleaner and I can have it framed without the fear of any further damage. I have had two Polish posters back for the same reason though I have a few others that were already backed which I picked up from emovie. I know some people prefer not to back posters but I do like backing particularly for Polish posters as the paper is so thin and frail on the older ones.

Hi John.

Sounds like it was the right move for your copy.  I only have one Polish poster, from 1986 (by artist Andrzej Pagowski) and i also noticed how thin the paper is that was used.

Again, I think this design by Walkuski is just fantastic.  thumbup
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:01:32 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Zoongrew

• Beginner
    • The Dodo Bird Shop Movie Posters
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2015, 08:15:31 AM »
That Rosemary's Baby is one of my favourite Polish posters. I have a linen backed copy which I had done at Poster Mountain in LA. Nice job they did of it too.

Was the first release in 1984 in Poland ?

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2015, 05:27:43 PM »
Hi John.

Sounds like it was the right move for your copy.  I only have one Polish poster, from 1986 (by artist Andrzej Pagowski) and i also noticed how thin the paper is that was used.

Again, I think this design by Walkuski is just fantastic.  thumbup

Which poster do you have Jeff? And in 1986, the paper is better that it was during the golden years of polish poster art too!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2015, 05:34:42 PM »
Which poster do you have Jeff? And in 1986, the paper is better that it was during the golden years of polish poster art too!

Hey John, I have this one. And just as an FYI, there is also a Polish thread in the Posters By Country section, too.  :D
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6938.0.html

Bialy Smok (White Dragon):

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:37:04 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2015, 05:37:17 PM »
Hey John, I have this one. And there is also a Polish thread in the Posters By Country section, too (just as an fyi  :) ) http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6938.0.html

Bialy Smok (White Dragon):

Nice, I don't have that one, good poster.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2015, 05:41:21 PM »
Was the first release in 1984 in Poland ?

Yes it was only published in 1984 when the film was released.

Incidently, the same artist did a new edition (similar design) of that poster a few years back (2011). Limited edition of 100, all signed. I didn't buy one at the time I kept putting it off then when I came around to buying it, they had sold out -gutted!. Here's the newer version.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2015, 05:44:32 PM »
There was also another poster done for Rosemary's Baby at the same time on release (1984) by artist Andrzej Pagowski. This is still on my wants list if anyone has it ! :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2015, 05:46:18 PM »

Incidently, the same artist did a new edition (similar design) of that poster a few years back (2011). Limited edition of 100, all signed. I didn't buy one at the time I kept putting it off then when I came around to buying it, they had sold out -gutted!. Here's the newer version.

That's a really striking retake on his own artwork. It looks like a classical painting, almost. Beautiful.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2015, 06:12:11 PM »
That's a really striking retake on his own artwork. It looks like a classical painting, almost. Beautiful.  thumbsup.gif

It is isn't it. I've been trying to find one but they were all snatched up. I really should have bought one when they were $30!!

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2015, 06:15:36 PM »
There was also another poster done for Rosemary's Baby at the same time on release (1984) by artist Andrzej Pagowski. This is still on my wants list if anyone has it ! :)

https://horn.musicman.com/bigsearch.php?bigsearch=1&t=1443219001&new_search=rosemary#

Style A I believe, but John has it. Great dealer also, he is a member DarvishJo. Tell him I sent you haha!
This Space For Rent!

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2015, 09:35:08 PM »
https://horn.musicman.com/bigsearch.php?bigsearch=1&t=1443219001&new_search=rosemary#

Style A I believe, but John has it. Great dealer also, he is a member DarvishJo. Tell him I sent you haha!

Thanks bud, will take a look.

Offline Zoongrew

• Beginner
    • The Dodo Bird Shop Movie Posters
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2015, 06:42:55 AM »

What a beauty !

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2015, 11:29:40 AM »
Here's a couple more of my favourite posters from 50s/60s, in my collection.

Wild Strawberries, Ingmar Bergman, designer: Jerzy Flisak (1960)

Friends for Life, Italian / French film by Franco Rossi, designer: Jozef Mroszczak (1959)

The Magic of the Kite, France, China, dir: Roger Pigaut, deigner Wojciech Wenzel (1960)

The Story of Tosca, Polish Movie Poster Italy, Carl Koch designer: Jerzy Srokowski (1953)

True Friends, Polish Movie Poster, film, Russia dir: Mikheil Kalatozishvili designer: Eryk Lipinski (1954)

Do Not Mention the Cause of Death,"Uzrok smrti ne pominjati". (Yugoslavia) director: Jovan Zivanovic. designer: Marian Stachurski, 1969

Some more tomorrow if I get time

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2016, 09:37:55 PM »
Killer collection Poster Art!

I love the Polish design style as well. I have a real hard time buying posters for films I've never seen though... have you seen all of the Polish only films as well as the American titles with Polish posters? My first and only Polish pick up thus far is one you seem to have as well, 'Family Plot' by Klimowski. Keep on sharing!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2016, 10:19:07 PM »