Author Topic: Why is the original Matrix poster so scarce and expensive?  (Read 12653 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Why is the original Matrix poster so scarce and expensive?
« on: July 23, 2010, 01:02:38 AM »
Since the Matrix is a relatively new movie, shouldn't these posters be all over Ebay? All I can find are real ones that are priced at $5,000,000 or fakes that are priced at $8.00. I would love to have an original Advance DS, but I can't find any that are priced on a working man's level.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Re: Why is the original Matrix poster so scarce and expensive?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 05:18:53 AM »
Since the Matrix is a relatively new movie, shouldn't these posters be all over Ebay? All I can find are real ones that are priced at $5,000,000 or fakes that are priced at $8.00. I would love to have an original Advance DS, but I can't find any that are priced on a working man's level.

In a word: Demand.  Much like Lost In Translation, Usual Suspects, Shawshank and so on... 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:57:59 AM »

Have patience, Chop.  Keep checking all the auction sites regularly.  I snagged my original DS for $90 off the 'Bay.   See the thread on this poster in the Authentication section on this forum.  We're not sure if DS repros of this are floating around but ask the seller if the poster being sold has the double bullets at the bottom and the April 2 date, not March 31.

In the meantime, if you want a video one sheet - which is virtually identical to the theater version - PM me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:24:49 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 01:15:02 PM »
Thanks for the offer, but I only collect a few video posters.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »
You think the regular DS 1-sheet is rare?  What about the international "lightning" 1-sheet!  I've heard of exactly 2 surfacing so far...

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 04:54:09 PM »
You think the regular DS 1-sheet is rare?  What about the international "lightning" 1-sheet!  I've heard of exactly 2 surfacing so far...

Do you have a pic?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
The picture is taken from this site.  The blue arrows were added to aid in authentication. 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 11:41:42 PM »
The picture is taken from this site.  The blue arrows were added to aid in authentication. 

Yep, posters like these are insanely rare - but we gotta have challenges:

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 01:48:39 AM »
Why is the Matrix poster folded?

eyeroll

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 12:26:43 AM »
Not sure.  I think Holiday has a rolled copy.  And come to think of it, I've seen exactly 3 copies... not 2.  This folded one from one sheet index, Holiday's, and there was one that popped up on eBay about a year and a half ago.  The eBay one was also rolled if I remember correctly.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 12:37:25 AM »
Not sure.  I think Holiday has a rolled copy.  And come to think of it, I've seen exactly 3 copies... not 2.  This folded one from one sheet index, Holiday's, and there was one that popped up on eBay about a year and a half ago.  The eBay one was also rolled if I remember correctly.

When exactly was that sale? Are you sure it was the real deal and not the 38.5" Sonis reprint?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 01:11:25 AM »
I prefer not to link to MPF, but I started a "lightning" thread there to discuss the eBay sale.  I was watching it without really knowing what it was (at the time), but the auction ended early with a $100 BIN (or right around there)!  The consensus in that thread was that it was original.  Quite a bargain... I'm still betting it would sell well north of $1000 at auction.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 12:06:17 PM »
I have the Lightning one that I bought from Twinkle.hk.  It checks out as original.  i don't think they are really as rare as you think. They are just in people's collections.  Pretty sure it's rolled and single-sided.  Regarding the Matrix stuff, I don't think they had any idea how good the movie was or the kind of following it would develop.  Consequently, I don't think the publicity campaign was very big relative to the support most releases see. Just my opinion.

By the time the sequels came out, they had character posters, several holofoil one-sheets.  Revolutions had 5 or more different one sheets as well as different domestic and international art in some cases. It was a blitz for two movies that were terribly disappointing.  All the sequel material is relatively easy to obtain except for the variants like the twins w/ guns, and maybe the final holofoil Revolutions.

I was fortunate to score that L.A. Confidential as well.

I am still looking for the elusive DS Donnie Darko.

We all have these want posters in our collections.  Just keep looking.  You will score one eventually.

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 01:33:59 PM »
What's so special about the L.A. Confidential poster? Rarity? Otherwise, the poster looks kinda "meh"...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 02:36:43 PM »
I have the Lightning one that I bought from Twinkle.hk.  It checks out as original.  i don't think they are really as rare as you think. They are just in people's collections.  Pretty sure it's rolled and single-sided.  Regarding the Matrix stuff, I don't think they had any idea how good the movie was or the kind of following it would develop.  Consequently, I don't think the publicity campaign was very big relative to the support most releases see. Just my opinion.

Cool.  Looks like they still have one available in wrinkled/fair condition at $250.  Do you mind my asking what you paid for one in good condition?

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 04:46:46 PM »
Hi Harry,

I don't remember exactly. I bought it back around when the sequels we released and think it was in the neighborhood of $150US.

Regarding Twinkle: I have had some luck ordering things from them in the past.  There were supposedly closing the site down, but changed their minds or a new partner came in the mix.  I think I first heard about them from BRGirl back in MPT days.  Their inventory system is hard to muddle through, and you really need to pay attention to what you are looking at.  For example, Old Boy is a Korean origin movie, but they are selling the HK versions of the poster.  I have had good experiences, but your mileage may vary.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 07:42:27 PM »
$250 is too rich for me for that Matrix.   AfterHours85 was trying to sell one for that price a couple of years ago in NSF.

The sky's the limit for that Canadian (?) LA Confidential.  It sold for $400 Buy It Now four years ago.  I think it would blast through that price if it went up today.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 03:29:58 PM »
$250 is too rich for me for that Matrix.

Even if it was in good rolled condition Mel?  I'm not interested at $250 if its in poor shape... but I would consider spending close to double that for a nice one.  I thought you were the same.  Seems like you've been yammering on about the lightning one sheet as long as I have!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »
Even if it was in good rolled condition Mel?  I'm not interested at $250 if its in poor shape... but I would consider spending close to double that for a nice one.  I thought you were the same.  Seems like you've been yammering on about the lightning one sheet as long as I have!

I'm not a huge Matrix fan so I'm not a serious player for that poster. Plus it's similar to the US domestic and you can find the German version much cheaper. Plus I'm poor nowadays due to uninhibited poster purchases! Maybe I'll change my mind when my finances recover, if it's still around.

guest8

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 05:43:25 PM »
I have the german version I got from Mel (thanks bud!) I wouldnt mind finding the 1S though .. ;) I was going to go after all the Matrix material at one time.. But the 1st one really lacked on the artistic side therefore the posters would be just something to get because the movie was so groundbreaking for the time .. the other movies had huge campaigns but the movies just couldnt compare to the 1st one so the posters are a dime a dozen .. Although I am still a fan of all three films :P

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 09:24:49 PM »
Well the DS advance for the Matrix just went for $501 on Emovie.

WTF?

I understand demand and I understand very cool looking poster but my understanding only goes so far.

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 09:57:43 PM »
Well the DS advance for the Matrix just went for $501 on Emovie.

WTF?

I understand demand and I understand very cool looking poster but my understanding only goes so far.

The most I've paid for a movie poster was $300 for Taxi Driver followed by Evil Dead for $240. I'm not paying $500 for a Matrix poster. It just ain't gonna happen.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 10:38:19 PM »
Im not saying that I wouldnt ever drop $500 on the right poster but it would be Grant, Bogart, Hitchcock, Leone, Bond(Connery ONLY) etc type stuff.

I do really like that Matrix poster alot and I want one but I will never have one if thats where they are headed. Lets just say Im a bit dazed and confused.  jawdrop   :o

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 10:44:57 PM »
Be patient, keep it on your list, check Ebay from time to time, and I guarantee you will find it for less than $100.  If you're in a hurry, pay the money, if you can wait, everything eventually pops up.  Well, almost everything.  And there are enough Matrix posters out there to please everyone.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 11:09:07 PM »
Im not saying that I wouldnt ever drop $500 on the right poster but it would be Grant, Bogart, Hitchcock, Leone, Bond(Connery ONLY) etc type stuff.

I do really like that Matrix poster alot and I want one but I will never have one if thats where they are headed. Lets just say Im a bit dazed and confused.  jawdrop   :o

That's even above high retail price. Two bidders got into an irrational bidding war over this one - occasionally happens but not too often.   Somebody paid $580 for a regular Pulp Fiction last year - way beyond the typical auction price for it: