Author Topic: Insuring Valuable Shipments of Posters - How?  (Read 4679 times)

Offline Roughoutline

• Beginner
Insuring Valuable Shipments of Posters - How?
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:13:19 PM »
I'm from the UK and the main services like the Royal Mail and Parcel Force will advertise compensation up to £2,500, but when you read the small print, it states that they will only pay out compensation based on the price paid YOU have originally paid for the item.

Now if you have managed to buy a poster for a good price, and are able to sell it for a price that is ten times greater than the original cost to you. You probably won't be too happy about the amount of compensation you would potentially receive if this valuable poster was lost or stolen etc.

Does anyone know of a reasonable way to insure shipments that covers the cost of the sale price, not your cost price?

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: Insuring Valuable Shipments of Posters - How?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:53:57 PM »
There must be some 3rd party insurers out there who'd take this on I imagine? Perhaps you'd need to have some sort of value appraisal though?

I have heard really good things about Flight Logistics for shipping art, but they are quite pricey so probably only worth it if it's a valuable poster.

http://www.flightlg.com/services/shipart/

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 10:37:00 PM »
In my mind, the most cost effective insurance is a Bruce tube carried inside a PVC pipe with the end caps glued on.  Negotiate with the shipper to make it Royal Mail proof.
-Jay-

guest4531

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:44:06 AM »
You will find lot of topics in this fine art forum in regards of shipping and insurance - http://urbanartassociation.com/board/237/art-insurance

From what I understood your poster may worth more than 2,500 GPB... Indeed, the tiny print is worrying, I would opt for a third party insurance to cover full cost.

Good luck

Mirosae

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 06:48:47 PM »
Good luck with it. I never wanted an insurance, I hate shipping posters but never insured them. I always trusted my (bad) luck to be good. Hope it all works out for you.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:49:07 PM by Mirosae »