Author Topic: Winchester 73 - Two Different Versions of French One-Panel  (Read 6146 times)

Offline Roughoutline

• Beginner
Winchester 73 - Two Different Versions of French One-Panel
« on: August 01, 2015, 03:38:12 PM »
There are two different versions of the Winchester 73 One-Panel, but I can't find any information or history of this unknown (see below) one-panel.

Known version - https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e9/8e/ad/e98ead91a76fa9600c012a2cd2a6c2c9.jpg
Unknown version - http://cdn3.volusion.com/bxqxk.xvupj/v/vspfiles/photos/FRENCH146-2.jpg?1327064021

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Winchester 73 - Two Different Versions of French One-Panel
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 05:48:19 PM »

First thing that caught my eye was that the printer's info is not the same on both posters. The larger image says "Editions P.I.L.E. Paris"

The smaller image i cant read but it has much more info there.

Some other things I noticed was the more transparent, lighter shade of blue that was used in the upper right credits on the smaller image file. You can see thru some of those letters to the yellow background vs a blue sky on the other. Also, the art of the Indian to the right of Stewart's elbow is more just a brown 'blob' in the smaller image. It lacks the detail of that on the other.

That made me wonder if that one is a possible, later RR? Or could the smaller image maybe be not a 47x63 1P but the smaller, moyenne size? It also looks to lack the same fold lines the 1P above it has. But even if the one is the smaller paper size, both would have the same printer's info, if done for the same release, (I would think)?

T, are you able to make out the printer info on the smaller image?

I like the imagery, too.  thumbsup.gif  It reminds me a little bit of Soubie but it isnt signed.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:21:19 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 07:03:42 PM »
No, they're not Soubie.  Don't know who the artist is.

The second one looks like Richier-Laugier.  Not sure.  Both look 47x61in.  At first glance, I would probably say that the bottom one is first.  The colors are more defined.  Maybe the artist did 2 different versions.  Or they added the blue sky later.  I honestly don't know.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Roughoutline

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 08:05:49 PM »
Thanks a lot both of you! :D

Hopefully I'll have a definitive answer soon, will reveal all on here, as and when.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 08:24:14 PM »
No, they're not Soubie.  Don't know who the artist is.

The second one looks like Richier-Laugier.  Not sure.  Both look 47x61in.  At first glance, I would probably say that the bottom one is first.  The colors are more defined.  Maybe the artist did 2 different versions.  Or they added the blue sky later.  I honestly don't know.

T

Yeah...i was just meaning that some of the artistic style used in this one reminded me of his work.

A Nice poster, regardless.

-Jeff

Offline Roughoutline

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 12:46:57 PM »
Okay, this is what an expert on the subject had to say...

"The 2nd one (the unknown version) is definitely the 1st release. As you can see there's a difference between the 2 printers and posters printed by PILE are often re-releases from the end of the 40's / beginning of the 50's. And of course there's a gap in the quality of the printing. For instance take a look at the drawing, like the faces of the characters : painting is more diffuse on the 1st poster and the drawing less precised."

I thought the poster with the blue sky would've been the first release, but apparently thats a re-release. Very interesting!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 12:59:25 PM »
Interesting info. 

Checking on imdb, this film was first released in France in Aug of 1951. So if P.I.L.E. did more RR posters only thru the early 1950s, when would this later RR have been done (and when was that next RR of the film), I wonder?

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 02:21:16 PM »
Okay, this is what an expert on the subject had to say...

"The 2nd one (the unknown version) is definitely the 1st release. As you can see there's a difference between the 2 printers and posters printed by PILE are often re-releases from the end of the 40's / beginning of the 50's. And of course there's a gap in the quality of the printing. For instance take a look at the drawing, like the faces of the characters : painting is more diffuse on the 1st poster and the drawing less precised."

I thought the poster with the blue sky would've been the first release, but apparently thats a re-release. Very interesting!

So I was right.  Yeah ME!!!  By the way, the guy I sent you to is one of the foremost French poster collectors, so you can totally trust his opinion.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 02:25:56 PM »
Interesting info. 

Checking on imdb, this film was first released in France in Aug of 1951. So if P.I.L.E. did more RR posters only thru the early 1950s, when would this later RR have been done (and when was that next RR of the film), I wonder?

Pile printed posters throughout the 50s and 60s, Jeff.  Some were first releases, some were re-releases.  My buddy didn't say ONLY, he said OFTEN.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 02:39:09 PM »
Pile printed posters throughout the 50s and 60s, Jeff.  Some were first releases, some were re-releases.  My buddy didn't say ONLY, he said OFTEN.

T

Thanks, T.

Is PILE still in operation today?

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 03:10:06 PM »
Thanks, T.

Is PILE still in operation today?

Nope.
My Personal Collection