Author Topic: 5 of your favourite films.  (Read 16455 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
5 of your favourite films.
« on: July 22, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »
O.K.  I'm starting this as I'm running out of good/interesting films to watch(I must be getting really old). Mainly ones I've never seen, and not too new. From a few years ago and back over.

So if you could list,  ...well as many as you like, it would be good. Yes, I may have seen them, but who knows some of you may well post some gems I have yet to see. :D 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: 5 of your favourite films.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 04:26:56 PM »
Well Paul you could always start working your way through the dark Film Noir alleyways?
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 05:03:04 PM »
Paul, I'm probably the last here to offer good movie suggestions, but I guess people may like to know what stuff you like to see like genre's, foreign?

I'll offer one I'd like to see before I may find some others to suggest:
A Swedish Love Story (1970)

I also will work my way through an IMDB filter I created to find some goodies.

Mirosae

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 05:35:15 PM »
This a great idea Paul. I am running out of good films to watch ...

I will think of a list...Twilight is one  to go in >:D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 05:35:49 PM by Mirosae »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 11:15:32 PM »

I also will work my way through an IMDB filter I created to find some goodies.

Careful - Steve's custom IMDB filter is really just "large boobs"
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 01:42:16 AM »
Chris, I've started working my way through a pile of Noir', and must say enjoying them immensely .....now I'm much older... eyeroll

Watched Dead reckoning the other night, This gun for hire, and Blue Dahlia last week, and a half dozen more over the past few weeks.

Steve, I'm not averse to watching some ..er films with boobies... ;)  Yvonne is not so keen, but I've never seen the likes of, well any Mary millington stuff, and ones of that elk, so may well check out some those.

I'm not tied to any Genre, otherwise it would all be Horror/sci-fi, so just looking to see others favourites, that I haven't seen, or ain't seen in years.       

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 01:53:55 AM »
My top four, I am sure you've seen.

Hell drivers
The wicker man
Suspiria
Metropolis

Others that I find move around but might be SOMETHING you haven't seen.

ADIOS UNCLE TOM, absolutely the greatest film in slavery ever made
The ninth gate, I think it's the only great film starring j Depp.
An inspector calls, re watched again last night, it's such a perfect little film.
Some Aussies incase you missed them.

The last wave, harlequin, THE CARS THAT ATE PARIS, wake in fright, Patrick (not remake) long weekend (not remake)
almost Aussie , where green ants dream (Herzog) walkabout (Roeg)

Some others
Even dwarfs started small (Herzog)
The machine girl, Tokyo gore police (make a great double feature)
Jigoku
The baby cart series, followed by shoguns assasin
Anything by shaw bros

Bless the beats and the children
Strike me deadly,

Top gun
:)

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 02:40:43 AM »
Probably you've seen all these but since Noir was mentioned I have to list Out of the Past, Laura, and Double Indemnity.

Some of my other top movies (not any obscure or earthshattering suggestions here):
Breaker Morant
The Last Picture Show
Du rififi chez les hommes
Wicker Man (mentioned above)
Labyrinth

And of course The Wild Bunch.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:41:09 AM by DekeThornton »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 01:25:49 PM »
This is why this forum and you guys are great.

I haven't seen An inspector calls in years, will order that up on disc. Also Adios Uncle Tom, I may venture to a few of those others too Ari.
You know Me Ari, re-watched the Wicker Man last week.. :D

Same with the Wild Bunch, I only have it on tape, so will pick that up too. Out of the past and Laura, I'm getting to, I have the Blu disc of DI.
Need to check out Breaker Morant, and Du Riffi Chez Hommes..

Thanks Guys.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 09:39:29 PM »
Ari recommended the original Long Weekend.
I wholeheartedly second that one, Paul. Absolutely haunting from beginning to end.

Tibor Takacs' I Madman (1989) is also worth a look. Takacs also directed The Gate (1987)
Have you ever seen Pin (1988)?  I liked this obscure little film quite a bit.

Also from '88 and not often seen is Bill Hinzman's Flesh Eater.
You'll remember Hinzman as the first zombie seen in Romero's original NOTLD.
He directed and stars in Flesh Eater, his tribute to Night.
Jolly good fun.

If you liked Pan's Labyrinth, then you must see Guillermo del Toro's The Devil's Backbone (El espinazo del diablo). A brilliant film about treachery and the supernatural during the Spanish Revolution.

Then, there's Alex de la Iglesia's Dance With the Devil, starring Rosie Perez and Javier Bardem.
Bardem is brilliant and unforgettable in this film.
Track it down now.

If you haven't seen Melissa George in Chris Smith's Triangle (2009) then you're in for a treat.
Its not a romantic triangle at all, but a supernatural thriller that turns all sorts of corners.

Lastly (for now) is Gerard Butler in Beowulf & Grendel (2005), a terrific adaptation of the classic myth.

I'll be back with more.
 cheers

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 12:44:25 AM »
Thanks Ted,

I have over the years shied away from Long Weekend, for what ever reason, but will now track that one down.

I have the Devils backbone, but never seen Dance with the Devil, so will add that too. Never seen Triangle either, I'm now intrigued.. 

Amazon are going to love me... ;)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 09:22:22 PM »
i'm really bad at this.  That said, some random "hey maybe paul hasn't seen"

Run Lola run, Cube, Killing Zoe, the barbarian invasions

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 09:43:38 PM »
ADIOS UNCLE TOM, absolutely the greatest film in slavery ever made

Just had a flick through this one. Geeez, that's a different kind of movie I would have never seen otherwise. Hundreds of naked slaves throughout the film, often treated appallingly. There are lots of boobs which makes the film a bit better. Crickey.

I think reviewing Ari's film suggestions prior to screening is advisable!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 09:20:50 PM »
Hey Steve , does that mean you watched it?

regarding their treatment, well thats why its a great film, not this romanticised garbage we usually see (its tough but some strong hero type manages to do OK). They were considered animals and treated as such.
Not a fun film, a great film.

there is two versions, one european cut and an american cut, both good as the other, hard to choose, but i'd go euro.

saying that, all the other choices are much more palatable,  :)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 12:39:36 PM »
Keep the suggestions coming Chaps, I've see a couple of good films through this thread.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 03:01:48 PM »
Re-watch the Antoine Doinel series, The 400 Blows, Antoine and Colette, Stolen Kisses, Bed and Board and Love on the Run.  Truffaut's best, especially Stolen Kisses, which has always been one of my favorite movies.  Add La Nuit Americaine to it and you're in heaven, at least I am.

T
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:16:02 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 03:07:25 PM »
How about a little Wenders, with The American Friend, Hammett, The State of Things, Paris Texas and Wings of Desire?

Coppola produced Hammet for Wenders, and ran out of money half way through because of the One From the Heart debacle.  To keep his team busy, Wenders directed The State of Things, which is a remarkable B&W movie.  Truly remarkable.  And Paris Texas is just a masterpiece.

T
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:11:37 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 12:35:50 AM »
So no, Paul?  Truffaut and Wenders get no love in the Waines household?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 01:42:03 AM »
They certainly could, I've only seen one of those you mention. I'll bet tracking them down is not an easy task, but I'm on the case...

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 12:56:39 AM »
Hmm. There are great films that are off the beaten path, but you are probably familiar with.

Jodorowsky's "El Topo", "Holy Mountain", or "Santa Sangre" are equally amazing in their own distinct way.

David Lynch's "Mulholland Dr." isn't for everyone, but I find it constantly fascinating. I love Lynch anyway, and I think "MD" is his best.

I stumbled upon a movie called "The Doom Generation" several years back and was totally taken with it at the time. It's by Gregg Araki, who has made a lot of movies apparently but, despite digging TDG, I've only managed to watch one other of his films. That film was "Kaboom"---which, while quirky and interesting, I ultimately did not like. But I really liked "The Doom Generation" (but may have "outgrown it" by now).

"Doom Generation" reminded me a bit of "Repo Man"--which was also quirky...not really sure I'd recommend that though--or would I? Haven't seen it in years.

Horror movies--my fave is the original "The Haunting", which may seem dated and dull by today's audiences...but watch it alone, at night, with the lights off...and it still can be creepy! I also really dig things like "Suspiria" (someone else mentioned it), the little seen quirker "May", the original Brazilian Coffin Joe flicks "At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul"/"This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse" are primitive but fascinating for their time.

My go to unintentional camp favorites that i can watch over and over and over include things like "Peyton Place", "Valley of the Dolls", "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls", "Airport 75", "The Concorde: 79", "Earthquake" (Love my disaster movies), and "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure"...those are all very main stream, but all rather old so you may have NOT seen them. There are also two obscure Jayne Mansfield movies I love (for the wrong reasons). One is "The Wild Wild World of Jayne Mansfield" (made AFTER she died, yet "narrated" by Jayne--or someone pretending to be her--utilizing cutting room floor scraps, home movies, borrowed scenes from her lesser films and filler, filler, filler! It's a MESSterpiece--they made something from literally nothing. It gets bogged down in all of this nudie filler towards the end--but I find the film brilliant in it's own ripoff genius way) and "Dog Eat Dog" (kind of dull at the beginning--but once they get to the island with the Norma Desmond-like grand dame and her Max-like butler, the film explodes into this bizarre, unintentionally avant garde mess. Jayne runs around in a negligee and bad hair and almost seems like she's in a completely different movie. Cameron Mitchell gets blood on his face---and never wipes it off! Bizarre-o-rama wonderful!).

Intentionally campy/wanna be cult flicks you might consider: the 1989 remake/sequel "Dr. Caligari", the all-male comedy (men play all of the women and men) "Girls Will Be Girls" is pretty funny (like a warp, twisted modern "Valley of the Dolls" in Hollywood), "Shock Treatment" (the failed sequel to "Rocky Horror Picture Show") could be worth a look if you haven't seen it.

Some of the obscure moldy oldies out there ("Shanty Tramp", "Common Law Wife", "Another Day Another Man", "Monster At Camp Sunshine") that are unintentionally hilarious...stuff that Something Weird Video specializes in. Not all are classics--or even very good. Some are downright terrible--but some are just amazing gems.

There are probably dozens of things I could mention/recommend, but --of course---I just can NOT think right now.  I'm probably way, WAY off of the mark---but that's the kind of stuff I dig.

Cha-cha-cha!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:01:47 AM by Monster_A_GoGo »
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 12:21:13 AM »
The Room.

There's always a screening somewhere..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2015, 01:15:24 AM »
The original The Haunting, is great. Creepy to the max.

And such a great flicker, too!  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2015, 01:22:23 AM »
The original The Haunting, is great. Creepy to the max.

And such a great flicker, too!  thumbsup.gif

That's what I said (see above).

As for "The Room"--like everything else, it is an acquired taste. Unfortunately when I saw it, I did not acquire the taste for it. It may be the "best worst movie ever" (I thought that title belonged to "Troll 2"),but I thought it was just dreadful and so tedious to sit through. Go see it if you like but I can not recommend it.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2015, 03:24:50 AM »
That's what I said (see above).

As for "The Room"--like everything else, it is an acquired taste. Unfortunately when I saw it, I did not acquire the taste for it. It may be the "best worst movie ever" (I thought that title belonged to "Troll 2"),but I thought it was just dreadful and so tedious to sit through. Go see it if you like but I can not recommend it.

Right...i was reiterating your comment, MAGG.  ;D

-Jeff

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2015, 04:11:46 PM »
Well, I won't give you my favorite 5, but I will give you 5 off the beaten path.  Those will be more likely to accomplish the objective.

1. Twilight Samurai
2. The Man From Earth
3. Talvisota
4. Tropa de Elite
5. Der Tunnel
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery