Author Topic: Before / After Lumiere Restoration  (Read 8433 times)

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
Re: Before / After Lumiere Restoration
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 09:05:02 AM »
I would think you could do both... start local to figure out the logistics, hone your messaging, and work out the kinks, then travel with your exhibit.  

As for local venues -- and speaking from experience https://www.pinterest.com/mpjohnst/film-art-from-behind-the-iron-curtain/ -- college galleries can be great, low pressure venues to get your feet wet  :)

You might look into universities with significant Jewish studies and/or Holocaust studies programs.  I'm sure those experts could help develop contextual materials to highlight your collection in the most appropriate/educational way possible.  Also, the more organizations you can get involved in a single event the broader the appeal will be as well.  A 2 minute search turned up:

Melton Center for Jewish Studies at Ohio State
https://meltoncenter.osu.edu

Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus
http://columbusjcc.org

Jewish Federation of Columbus
http://jewishcolumbus.org

If you could get those three organizations to support it, you could have them displayed at Ohio State.  It will likely have well-established on-campus art galleries with large mailing lists (to drum up visitors far and wide), built-in prestige and plenty of insurance/protection for your collection.  

And lets be honest... at the end of the day, the best contemporary uses for these monstrous artifacts will likely be to educate, and I suspect shock, many of our youngest citizens.  Demonizing others for your country's problems sadly seems to be coming into vogue again...  The importance of these posters cannot and must not be understated.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help!

What a plethora of advice!!!  I will definitely take it!!! It seems as though you know the ins and outs of this.. Once I get a few more posters in my stable I will approach the Jewish Federation.. I just have to look into to the pricing of insurance ..   Thanks for your Advice!!!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 05:53:06 PM by erik1925 »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 09:20:59 AM »
To be clear, if you display at a respectable gallery, they should have their own insurance.  It's not something you should have to pay out of pocket for...

No offense intended to your collection, but believe me they are used to dealing with MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE exhibits :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 09:23:12 AM by Harry Caul »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 09:24:46 AM »
That is great advice. Mac also bear in mind your exhibit is likely to generate much more reaction, both good and bad, so in a public place you need to be vigilant not just for your property but also from a personal security perspective.

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 09:53:08 AM »
To be clear, if you display at a respectable gallery, they should have their own insurance.  It's not something you should have to pay out of pocket for...

No offense intended to your collection, but believe me they are used to dealing with MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE exhibits :)

No offense taken!!!  I'm sure most galleries exhibit million dollar collections, but regardless if my collection was worth 500 or 500k no one wants there collection damaged..

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 10:02:24 AM »
That is great advice. Mac also bear in mind your exhibit is likely to generate much more reaction, both good and bad, so in a public place you need to be vigilant not just for your property but also from a personal security perspective.

You are absolutely right bud!!!  I'm sure my collection will bring out mixed emotions , but I'm a firm believer people for the most part are generally good, no way to prepare for crazy's who may show up..  
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:12:55 AM by Mac-Apple »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 10:24:52 AM »

If displayed without context, yes.  But if this was done in a university setting with Jewish studies departments and Jewish groups in support I doubt you would have problems. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 12:28:17 PM »
I am glad I saved it's life aswell!!!  I stumbled upon this poster on a militaria site where it had been sitting for 3 years in a 5$ frame..  Below is the poster I sent to Mario last night .. It's 4 feet tall and will look awesome framed..

Another very interesting poster, here, Mike. And I'm sure Mario will do it proud. It looks to be in very fine shape.. and has survived quite well, too, looks like.

Congrats on this acquisition, too.
 clap clap
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:29:15 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 01:54:50 PM »
Hmm I am in Washington DC and there are quite few places that may be interested. The Holocaust museum for one. And yes that yellow frame is the shiznit.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 02:03:07 PM »
No offense taken!!!  I'm sure most galleries exhibit million dollar collections, but regardless if my collection was worth 500 or 500k no one wants there collection damaged..

So true, Mike.

And even if the material isnt super valuable (im not meaning yours, just saying in general), but more rare with not many pieces around, Im sure many institutions might be interested, by that fact alone. (And if rare and more valuable, that's just more icing on the cake!)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:14:18 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »
Dam this site is awesome!!!  I've never been on a forum with such helpful ,and thought provoking folks, if only the other forums I frequent had such participation..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 05:54:37 PM »
I am glad I saved it's life aswell!!!  I stumbled upon this poster on a militaria site where it had been sitting for 3 years in a 5$ frame..  Below is the poster I sent to Mario last night .. It's 4 feet tall and will look awesome framed..

Hey Mike.

How did this one finally turn out? Did Mario work his magic on it?

-Jeff

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 10:08:03 PM »
The poster turned out great Jeff!!!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:09:16 PM by Mac-Apple »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 11:13:58 PM »
Beautiful, Mike!!

clap clap clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2015, 11:52:32 AM »
Double what everyone else has said.  These need to be seen by a wide audience.  notworthy.gif
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.