Author Topic: Before / After Lumiere Restoration  (Read 8438 times)

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
Before / After Lumiere Restoration
« on: July 14, 2015, 08:33:12 PM »
I took Jeff's advice and tried someone new instead of Postermountain and I couldn't be happier!!! Poster Mountain did a great job on my previous 2 posters, but the prices I paid I thought were high so I chose to give someone else a try..  Mario did a fantastic job , and today I just sent him another to restore..  Below are the before and after photos..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Before / After Lumiere Restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 08:36:43 PM »
Bravo, Mike!!

It looks fantastic!!  thumbsup.gif

And that's a great looking frame, too. It compliments the poster SO well!

What year is this poster from again?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:45:57 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
wow what a great job.  Mario is the man.  Can you tell us more about the poster? 

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:45:06 PM »
This is nazi propaganda anti Semitic poster from 40 to 42..  Below is the translation of what the poster says..  Don't worry I am not a nazi supporter!!  I am a Jewish guy who collects these posters for history.. The poster I have is in Cyrllic ,and the poster below is in Polish..  They both say the same thing..

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:46:02 PM by Mac-Apple »

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 09:48:02 PM »
Bravo, Mike!!

It looks fantastic!!  thumbsup.gif

And that's a great looking frame, too. It compliments the poster SO well!

What year is this poster from again?

Jeff,

I think I like the frame more than I like the poster!!!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 10:37:23 PM »
Amazing poster, and amazing resto, and yes, the frame is perfect
I'm not often jealous of others posters, but I am a little here.

The subject matter is so disturbing, but important to remember.

Good stuff.

Ari
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 10:42:33 PM »
Quite disturbing what humans can become.  Great restoration job though!
-Brian

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 11:14:31 PM »
Amazing poster, and amazing resto, and yes, the frame is perfect
I'm not often jealous of others posters, but I am a little here.

The subject matter is so disturbing, but important to remember.

Good stuff.

Ari

Ari,

There are at least a hundred different anti Semitic posters similar to this, they may not have the same verbiage,but the images are just as disturbing!!  I plan on exhibiting my collection in a couple years when I get about 5 or 6 more..  I think 12 to 14 of these kinds of posters is all I can stomach..

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 12:18:45 AM »
I bet there is, and good luck with exhibit, I'd certainly see it if I was able.
It could probably travel, like John Kisch with his separate cinema archives.
An Error Has Occurred!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 12:29:44 AM »
Amazing.  This is probably the most interesting poster I've seen on this forum in quite some time.  A true historical artifact.  It is both awful and fascinating.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 12:32:21 AM »
 clap
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 12:56:56 AM »
Mike, your poster's significance cannot be denied. A time in history that should and wont ever be forgotten.

Great to know you are the caretaker of these kinds of pieces! Lest anyone ever forget.

clap clap

-Jeff

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 12:58:59 AM »
Amazing.  This is probably the most interesting poster I've seen on this forum in quite some time.  A true historical artifact.  It is both awful and fascinating.

T

WoW, there must be some pretty boring posters on here then 😇😇😇. Just kidding..  This is a pretty common poster, so it can be had rather easily..  I know where an untouched unused one is for 1700. I want posters that have history ,and were used.. This one had the right tatters for me..  I will post my other I sent to Mario in a couple weeks..

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 01:03:46 AM »
Mike, your poster's significance cannot be denied. A time in history that should and wont ever be forgotten.

Great to know you are the caretaker of these kinds of pieces! Lest anyone ever forget.

clap clap

Jeff ,

That's the only reason I collect these types of posters!!!  Most people frown upon them , and there is nothing wrong with that , but I just consider them a time capsule of a despicable time on the other side of the globe.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 01:06:31 AM »
Jeff ,

That's the only reason I collect these types of posters!!!  Most people frown upon them , and there is nothing wrong with that , but I just consider them a time capsule of a despicable time on the other side of the globe.

You da man, Mike! And to be commended.  thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:08:30 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 01:07:17 AM »
I bet there is, and good luck with exhibit, I'd certainly see it if I was able.
It could probably travel, like John Kisch with his separate cinema archives.

I will look into it Ari, I have to approach our Jewish Federation , and see if they would allow it..  We have quite a few Holocaust survivors in Columbus, Ohio so it may not go over too well.. Once I get a few more posters I will approach them..  I have 6 posters total now , and I want a few more..

Mirosae

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 01:51:59 AM »
Glad you brought this back to life. Do you have more posters like this? It is incredible to see this sort of posters/ propaganda.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 02:11:57 AM »

I will look into it Ari, I have to approach our Jewish Federation , and see if they would allow it..  We have quite a few Holocaust survivors in Columbus, Ohio so it may not go over too well.. Once I get a few more posters I will approach them..  I have 6 posters total now , and I want a few more..

I Would imagine there's places like this all over the world, and done in the right way I am sure it could be handled so as to be viewed as its intended.

http://sydneyjewishmuseum.com.au

An Error Has Occurred!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 04:46:48 AM »
Incredible poster and amazing restoration indeed.

Thanks for providing the translation, Mike.
Even though its absolutely disgusting propaganda, I had to chuckle when I read, "Who had all the best apartments?"
How desperate and evil the Nazi was...

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 07:04:43 AM »
Glad you brought this back to life. Do you have more posters like this? It is incredible to see this sort of posters/ propaganda.

I am glad I saved it's life aswell!!!  I stumbled upon this poster on a militaria site where it had been sitting for 3 years in a 5$ frame..  Below is the poster I sent to Mario last night .. It's 4 feet tall and will look awesome framed..

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 07:19:00 AM »
I Would imagine there's places like this all over the world, and done in the right way I am sure it could be handled so as to be viewed as its intended.

http://sydneyjewishmuseum.com.au

Ari,

I'm sure I could try the Sydney Venue, but I want to get my foot in the door in my home town first..  I would also have to seek legal advice on how to ensure these posters make it back safely .. The 6 posters I have are worth quite a bit , and cannot be replaced.. This one I posted is probably the cheapest one I own..  The one poster I have was appraised by Swann ,and its estimate was 12 to 15k, and I think that was a light estimate, so I have to be careful where these posters go..

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 07:47:24 AM »
I would hope you can travel with the exhibit, but regardless, hope mostly you get them shown in your home town.
Big one looks great also.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 08:21:19 AM »
Ari,

I'm sure I could try the Sydney Venue, but I want to get my foot in the door in my home town first..  I would also have to seek legal advice on how to ensure these posters make it back safely .. The 6 posters I have are worth quite a bit , and cannot be replaced.. This one I posted is probably the cheapest one I own..  The one poster I have was appraised by Swann ,and its estimate was 12 to 15k, and I think that was a light estimate, so I have to be careful where these posters go..

I think there's a thread in here somewhere where liability/insurance is discussed when loaning posters for exhibits or display...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 08:25:50 AM »
I would think you could do both... start local to figure out the logistics, hone your messaging, and work out the kinks, then travel with your exhibit.  

As for local venues -- and speaking from experience https://www.pinterest.com/mpjohnst/film-art-from-behind-the-iron-curtain/ -- college galleries can be great, low pressure venues to get your feet wet  :)

You might look into universities with significant Jewish studies and/or Holocaust studies programs.  I'm sure those experts could help develop contextual materials to highlight your collection in the most appropriate/educational way possible.  Also, the more organizations you can get involved in a single event the broader the appeal will be as well.  A 2 minute search turned up:

Melton Center for Jewish Studies at Ohio State
https://meltoncenter.osu.edu

Jewish Community Center of Greater Columbus
http://columbusjcc.org

Jewish Federation of Columbus
http://jewishcolumbus.org

If you could get those three organizations to support it, you could have them displayed at Ohio State.  It will likely have well-established on-campus art galleries with large mailing lists (to drum up visitors far and wide), built-in prestige and plenty of insurance/protection for your collection.  

And lets be honest... at the end of the day, the best contemporary uses for these monstrous artifacts will likely be to educate, and I suspect shock, many of our youngest citizens.  Demonizing others for your country's problems sadly seems to be coming into vogue again...  The importance of these posters cannot and must not be understated.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 08:41:23 AM »
I think there's a thread in here somewhere where liability/insurance is discussed when loaning posters for exhibits or display...

Yes, I remember being involved in that previous discussion...  I ended up displaying my Eastern European collection at two different college galleries -- one with insurance and one without.  I was VERY nervous about the second gallery -- especially given that it wasn't a traditional (enclosed) gallery but instead "gallery walls" within a high traffic lobby in one of the many educational buildings on campus.  But once I saw the students interacting with the exhibit, my fears kind of melted away.  They were either fascinated and respectful, or they just walked on by without taking any notice.  The frames were attached to the walls with security hangers (basically tethered to the wall) to discourage casual/impromptu theft and there were campus security cameras as well.  Not sure I'd rush to display them again in a gallery without insurance, but it turned out fine in the end and it got the posters in front of more people...

By the way, I walked through one of the art buildings and saw a lithograph collection donated by a former professor.  While I was beside myself with nerves about displaying some of the pricier posters in collection (the Sunset Boulevard is $5K+), here were $50k+ Warhols and Lichtensteins that were totally unprotected!  There were dozens of them and they had been on display for decades.  Again, most students didn't even take notice...

Food for thought...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:43:52 AM by Harry Caul »