Author Topic: U.S. Comics  (Read 6699 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
U.S. Comics
« on: July 17, 2010, 03:37:33 PM »
I have a bunch of U.S. comics I have sorted out from my Monster mags collection. I am after selling them, but have no idea about this kind of thing. They were mostly from boxes I bought with other items I wanted, and over the years seem to have built up. There must be about 1000 of them, from the 60's to the mid 90's.

The question is do I sell in a job lot, in batches, or individually?  I have no idea if there is anything of value, so any help here would be of great help to me. 
It's more than a Hobby...

Dr Hackenbush

Re: U.S. Comics
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 07:49:57 PM »
All those comics from the 90's are best served as kindling on a cold winter day.  They're of little value, save a few independents and certain issues.  As for the others, the 60's books will have some value depending on year, condition, and title.  The books from the 70's & 80's need to be in high grade (NM or better for the 70's stuff, NM+ or better for the 80's) to fetch even a few dollars.  There are exceptions, of course.  They should be sold as a lot.  If someone opts to take a look at what you have, they'll invariably want to cherry pick the best books, offer you 30-60% of guide for them (if they're keys they may offer a bit more), and leave you with the drek that can't be sold.  There may be a buyer that wants them as readers or to fill holes in their collection, but few dealers will even bother with 90's comics unless they're keys (origin or first appearance of characters, etc).  If someone offers you .10 per book for that 90's stuff, accept it before they change their mind.  Hell, offer to help lug the long boxes to their car - whatever it takes to get them in the buyer's possession as quickly as possible.  If you want, shoot me a PM with the titles, issue numbers, and approximate condition (a letter grade, please: G/VG, F, VF, NM) and I'll let you know if you have anything of value…that I can cherry pick.  Just kidding, just kidding  ;D

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 03:57:55 AM »
Thanks for the info Doc, I'll start making a list. Most of them are in bags do I leave them in, or take them out so it's easier to check them?  I am not expecting to make loads of money, It's more I need the space( for more posters ). So would just swap them for film stuff if anyone was interested.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 05:18:47 AM by paul waines »

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 01:27:38 PM »
It depends on what you have but, generally speaking, I'd jump all over a trade.  Definitely take them out of the bags and inspect the interiors for folds/creases, tears, foxing or tanning of the pages (for the older books), moisture damage, etc

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:52:35 PM »
I have a bunch of U.S. comics I have sorted out from my Monster mags collection. I am after selling them, but have no idea about this kind of thing. They were mostly from boxes I bought with other items I wanted, and over the years seem to have built up. There must be about 1000 of them, from the 60's to the mid 90's.

The question is do I sell in a job lot, in batches, or individually?  I have no idea if there is anything of value, so any help here would be of great help to me. 

Paul,

Did you ever trade or sell any of these, both to make room, as you mentioned, and help to get more posters?   ;)

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »
Yes Jeff, got rid of the lot.

I still have some nice Batman issues, and a few other Horror related items, but that lot went quite a while back, thanks to Angelo..

I wonder why he never comes back on here? Great guy.   

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:48:14 PM »
Yeah, I miss Dr. Hack.  Good guy.  And a "vintage" collector too  ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 09:10:18 PM »
And a "vintage" collector too  ;)

What's that?  ;)
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 09:32:25 PM »
On a random note.. I was so excited to discover that I did seperate my Wolverine comics as I recently agreed to let my dad take my 400 or so comics to a local auction house.  I was kicking myself, but I found them all wrapped up in a box on Saturday. The 82 miniseries and the first 50 so of the 'wolverine' title. Also a crap load of those Marvel presents Wolverine series...  They are probably worthless un slabbed but it warms my heart to know they didn't just get auctioned all cold like...

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »
My wife has been cleaning in the basement "aka, moving my sh!t around!" and I think I may be about ready to start thinning out my comics as well.

Notice I said think... have somewhere in the 30 long box range, I would think I could cut 10 or so out, by weeding out mini-series and titles I dont care as much about. Just a shame the back issue market seems about dead unless you have bronze age keys or silver age on back.

I know I am part hoarder so it is going to be a tough cut!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 12:59:15 PM »
I'm a bit like that with some of my film Mags at the moment... Stuff I never look at now, Starlog, Fangoria, etc. Should I just move them on...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 01:07:17 PM »
I'm a bit like that with some of my film Mags at the moment... Stuff I never look at now, Starlog, Fangoria, etc. Should I just move them on...
I would move em.,
If any of the stuff I have starts to lose interest it goes,what`s the point in endlessly storing stuff I don`t want?
One of those mag`s your unloading could be another person`s Unicorn?..

Stew

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 01:12:43 PM »
I would move em.,
If any of the stuff I have starts to lose interest it goes,what`s the point in endlessly storing stuff I don`t want?
One of those mag`s your unloading could be another person`s Unicorn?..

Stew

Well said, Stew.

You never know. It could be the one issue (rare or not) that someone has been searching for, to fill in part of their collection.   thumbup

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »

Just sell those Paul, and get another round of Famous Monsters  happy1
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 02:20:50 PM »
I could finish my set of Famoso Monsters del cine... ;D   and get that Legend Horror classics #6 I'm missing...

Popculturefan

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 03:35:46 PM »
Great topic! What series are you people into, just curious. I'm a collector of the batman volume 1 series, detective comics volume 1 and some various stuff i jut buy because of the joy of reading.

Charlie

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 10:45:30 PM »
Wolverine!  I did the whole Spawn thing in real time.  Superman death series was fun.  I have that poster somewhere damnit...

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 02:15:32 AM »
Back in the day I use to collect Spawn. Then I decided I did not want them anymore and ended up throwing them in the trash. I regret that now. Even though they aren't worth a whole lot they were still cool comics.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 09:36:47 AM »
I have about everything superhero related, many Vertigo titles, lot of the image stuff, you name it, i probably have it. Xmen and Daredevil were the only titles I ever worked backwards on, some most of my stuff is mid80's-2011. I ran out of room so quit buying the new stuff. I am getting the itch though everytime I go to the bookstore, thus the thin what I have to get more in :)