Author Topic: Professor Powers's fake website  (Read 89162 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Re: Professor Powers's fake website
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »
Was this Dan guy in Canada? When I first started collecting in 2003, I remember seeing a website that when into detail about fake Blade Runner, Alien and Raiders posters among others. I sent him an Escape From New York rolled one sheet to get authenticated (I was a newb) and the post office mangled the package. Since it was insured, I got my money back and bought another rolled Escape From New York.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2010, 11:13:35 PM »
I find it quite funny that I was defending Andy Neal then, when I couldn't care less about the guy now.

How things change.

Yeah, come to think of it, I no longer love you.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2010, 11:18:22 PM »
The main problem with Jeannie's site (of which I was the first poster)  ....
T

That's funny, what came first, Thierry or the poster?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2010, 11:25:11 PM »
I had a lot of email conversation with Dan around the time he pulled the site.  He was tired of the hobby and tired of the would-be professionals out there.  He had a bone to pick with a particular few dealers.  As others have said, he could care less about whether people bought books or looked at his site.  He was just moving on.  He sold a lot of his good stuff a few  years ago, and a lot of it landed in my collection, including the Donnie Darkos, all of which came from him.  His site was neat, but to tell you the truth, it was not that broad-spectrum.  He didn't have but 20 or so authentications on the site, though for some good posters.  In comparison to what's out there today, the information would be a bit stale, frankly.

As far as they argument of "he should preserve it for the greater good, as we all should", just as frankly, we get tired of it - or at least i do.  The same questions over and over again, when they could be answered with the flick of a search button.  I was looking at MPF the other day and someone started the whole "Bruce has a shill" argument again  puke  After answering the same questions 100 times, I think we just stand silent.  Thankfully, there's  a few like Ed and Sue over at LAMP who have made it their career to preserve and provide this information to new collectors.  My hat's off to you, Mel, who would like to carry the torch for the new collector.  But, let's have a conversation 5 years from now.  If you're still carrying the torch, you're a better man than I, for sure.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2010, 11:45:25 PM »
Was this Dan guy in Canada? When I first started collecting in 2003, I remember seeing a website that when into detail about fake Blade Runner, Alien and Raiders posters among others. I sent him an Escape From New York rolled one sheet to get authenticated (I was a newb) and the post office mangled the package. Since it was insured, I got my money back and bought another rolled Escape From New York.

Yup, there are some dealers that loved to call him the Canadian poster Nazi.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2010, 11:57:17 PM »
Yup, there are some dealers that loved to call him the Canadian poster Nazi.

That was a pretty cool site.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2010, 12:08:58 AM »
He didn't have but 20 or so authentications on the site, though for some good posters.  In comparison to what's out there today, the information would be a bit stale, frankly.

Actually, his site went thru a couple mutations.  The original one had way more posters authenticated, and also Dan's poster collection (which is what I sent you on paper, Holiday.)  Then Dan redid it all, started from scratch and added a new authentication a month.  I have the original poster collection on file.  I wish I had copied the first authentication site too.  It was way more useful than the 2nd one.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2010, 12:23:15 AM »
It seems that this topic comes up every six months or so, and the same misinformation keeps getting posted by the same misinformed people.

I’ll post this again…..this is probably the 20th time now….

No authentication information was “stolen”.

I initially asked Dan if I could post on my site 2 or 3 pieces of authentication info. from his site (mainly Star Wars bootleg info. regarding minty whites, hairy belts, and hairy backs). He said yes……it was done with his full permission and we linked to his site several times. I did not ask for a reciprocal link back to my site at the time. We were friendly and on good terms.

Some time goes by and he announced he would be adding links from his site to other movie poster dealers....so I kindly asked to be included....and he refused (he said I wasn't established enough yet)....so I removed all references to his site from my site. Why should I link to someone....who thinks I'm not good enough to link to?

I left the info. on my site as it had become an integral part of it. He didn’t like that, so he complained to his friends, claiming that the info. was stolen. Then he took his site down shortly thereafter. Did he take it down solely because of me? No, I don’t think so….but I probably had a little bit to do with it.

I even bought stuff from him on ebay after he pulled his site down.

To this day July 21, 2010 he has NEVER asked me directly to remove the info. from my site……and I wouldn’t anyway if he did. My site is one of the most visited dealer websites on the planet and it has helped hundreds (if not thousands) of collectors, dealers, and auction houses from all over the world. I get thank you messages almost daily for having authentication  info. readily available. Does the info. help me sell posters? Who knows? Probably somewhat……but that is not the reason it is there. It is there to help out poster collectors. Period. There are about a dozen or so authentications listed on our site now….and all have been done by us, in house.

kauaitx

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2010, 03:54:16 AM »
Hello, All.  I hope everyone has been well and productive outside of APF and NSFGE and anywhere else you may frequent.  I, however, have been in a hectic and chaotic whirlwind since April and have not had a moment to just be still, except when I'm sleeping (which was also lacking, by the way) until two weeks ago when I took a much needed break -- from everything -- so that I won't embark on my new endeavor in a cranky, near-postal and frenzied state.  So thanks (not) to a certain person for forcing me from my rest and enjoyment for the moment necessary to address a few things that have been so misguidedly brought up.

(1)  Please refrain from naive conjectures and poorly formed conclusions regarding Movie Poster Authenticating.  It is far from abandoned.  It is far from "unupdated".  And it is far from any single person's personal view about what it ought to be.  My absence from the online forums does not mean my absence from MPA.  MPA was not built to be a factory to roll out haphazard, unresearched, slapped together authentications on an assembly line.  Unlike dealer's sites that steal other people's information to present as their own, the folks at MPA do present authentications that they have actually worked on themselves.  As Thierry noted, it is time consuming and tedious work.  If you're doing it right, or as "right" as can be considering that this isn't the scientific method for medical research, it's going to be tedious work.

MPA is a repository of information, not a suppository of crap expelled monthly at the dollar store.

It is meant to sit and just be there ready to be accessed and useful at anytime for free without commercial influence. Even if another authentication never gets posted, it will still be there to be helpful for what information it does have up already.

(2)  MPA wasn't meant to be "my" website -- although it technically is and I do have final say and I can thumbs up or thumbs down a poster and I am editor, master, commander and chief overlord of it... OK, it is MY website, but that's not the point.   The point is, MPA is a collective endeavor and each author has complete control over his/her own authentication and will always own his/her work.  That was why MPA was set up as a blog, so that each author can always log into MPA to access his/her work at any time.  A person wishing to do an authentication is taking on a responsibility and he/she has a duty to do it with at least some creditable work.  One does not need a PhD, but one certainly needs rational thinking, sound judgment and some vetted sources in order to come up with conclusions that can be defended when one's assertions are being challenged.

The nature of the hobby is that there are so few, company-of-origin sourced information and so we have to rely on the information gathered from non-primary sources.  That means that if you don't have a care for doing some research, a modicum of detail-orientedness, cogent arguments and a desire to be as creditable as you can, then authentication work is not for you. Linking to other people's work does NOT an authentication make.

So, yes, MPA has standards.  If the authentication cannot meet them, it does not get posted.  I made the mistake of allowing a couple of shoddy authentication attempts up on MPA in its early days, but eventually took them down when I realized I could not let the desire to be nice and polite hinder me from trying to maintain some kind of quality control. 

(3) For those who are critical that no new authentication has been posted recently, I welcome you to become one of the people who are actively trying to give back and do some good in this hobby instead of just talking about what other people should be doing in the hobby.  Well done, solid authentications are always desired, needed and welcomed.  I can't do this alone.  We can either bicker about how MPA should be -- and there have been a multitude of opinions expressed by individual people who have their own ideas of how MPA should be, way before APF's inception -- or we can all work together to make the information available on MPA so that everyone can benefit. Until that happens, it's just a bunch of talk without the walk.

(4) I do not need anyone to "spur" me to do anything.  I do what I choose in the priority that I give it.  Although some may feel things should be different, MPA and the forums are not my top priority, and they never will be.  I work on MPA because of the desire to contribute to the hobby and I participate on the forums because I want to have fun with the hobby among my compatriots who understand the love for colorful bits of movie paper.  When these things either consume an inordinate amount of my time or start to interfere with my real work and actual life, they drop even lower on my list of priorities.  If this is not satisfactory to some people, perhaps satisfaction should be sought elsewhere. 

Now, having written all this, I'm going to go back to my rest and recreation and to spending as much time with my family and friends as I can before I have to leave.  I still haven't replaced my dead Powerbook and have been bumming off other people's computers.  This means I'm going into hibernation again and will see y'all some time in August or September.  Or when I bolster up the energy to kick up some dust.  And frak if there doesn't need to be some dust kicked around here.   I wish everyone well and much fun and enjoyment in our hobby. 

Talk to y'all soon,
Jeannie

P.S.  I'm so happy to see Arch (aka Jason No.2) finally on APF.  BTW, I do not know how it was determined that Archie was the anonymous coward who posted that racist comment about me on NSFGE, but I assure you, that was not Arch.  So let me emphatically clarify:  There isn't a racist bone in Arch's leech and he would never post something like that.  I consider Jason No. 2 a pal on NSFGE, so, please, let's clear him of this well-intentioned but erroneous accusation.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2010, 06:58:54 AM »
Some time goes by and he announced he would be adding links from his site to other movie poster dealers....so I kindly asked to be included....and he refused (he said I wasn't established enough yet)....so I removed all references to his site from my site. Why should I link to someone....who thinks I'm not good enough to link to?

You always gloss over the fact that Dan was putting together a trusted dealer program with specific criteria (10 years in business I believe) that applied to everyone.  He didn't single you out for exclusion.  No matter how you try and spin it, removing all his references, while keeping his information was a low class move.

I get thank you messages almost daily for having authentication  info. readily available. Does the info. help me sell posters? Who knows? Probably somewhat……but that is not the reason it is there. It is there to help out poster collectors. Period. There are about a dozen or so authentications listed on our site now….and all have been done by us, in house.

Yes, it is called Goodwill and corporations spend billions of dollars annually to acquire it.  Let's face it, altruism is not exactly your strong suit.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2010, 07:21:30 AM »
P.S.  I'm so happy to see Arch (aka Jason No.2) finally on APF.  BTW, I do not know how it was determined that Archie was the anonymous coward who posted that racist comment about me on NSFGE, but I assure you, that was not Arch.  So let me emphatically clarify:  There isn't a racist bone in Arch's leech and he would never post something like that.  I consider Jason No. 2 a pal on NSFGE, so, please, let's clear him of this well-intentioned but erroneous accusation.

Thank you for the kind words (and right back at ya), but, to clarify, DPM wasn't trying to say that I was one who made that post.  He was trying to draw equivalency between that post and my posts on MPF, which is a comparison of Faux News proportions.

PS - Mel, if you are going to 'print screen' us to death, can you at least re-size them down a bit... thanks.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2010, 01:29:07 PM »
hmmm.....a whacking off scarecrow thinks I made a "low class move".

gimme a minute to process that..

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2010, 02:17:35 PM »
If you dig very very deep back into the internet archives - all publicly available - you'll find Dan's story and bits and parts of his old websites, although not complete:

I was born in the late 60's and grew up in Richmond B.C. Canada in the 70's and 80's.I always had a love of cameras and taking pictures. I started collecting movie posters around 7 years old. I covered every square inch of my room with movie posters, across the top and across the bottom and on both walls. I would stand on my bed, or chair and jump to the ceiling to stick them up at the top. I used Scotch Tape to keep them up but at night the tape would lose it's strength and I would wake up with a blanket of posters on me in the morning. I also had a 16mm set up in my basement with a 1 inch flat lens with a 8 foot picture and ran many movies for my friends. I was also the kid running the projector at school. I once carried a 16mm print of Blazing Saddles from my house to my elementary school and ran it for my Grade 6 class.

The first poster I remember wanting to keep was a teaser poster for "The Enforcer" and I still have that very same poster today.  The second one was a poster for "The Gauntlet".

In April 1984 I began a career in video retail for a company called Video Stop. I rented/watched movies for about 3 years,then went to video distribution for a year. I worked many odd jobs until finally getting a licenced ticket in automotive repair through a private shop in 1992. I now work at a large automotive dealership.

I discovered the internet in 1996.I spent the next 4 years learning how to use a computer and visited almost every poster site out there. In September 2001 Spiderman Twin Tower reprints were being sold as originals on E-Bay and collectors were getting ripped off. As a collector it made me upset to see this so I uploaded a test site on a friend's server called "MyMoviePosters" and posted the information on how to tell the originals from the fakes. It became very popular with buyers and not so much with some of the sellers.

In 2004 I had computer problems and I lost the site.

On January 1st 2005 I started over, created a new site and renamed it “MoviePosterAuthentication".

Here's the list of authentications he had as of January 2006:

After Hours  
Annie Hall  
Clerks  
Dazed & Confused  
Enforcer  
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial  
Fargo  
Finding Nemo  
Flash Gordon  
From Dusk Till Dawn  
Gauntlet  
Godfather  
Goodfellas  
Goonies  
Grease  
Heat  
Heavy Metal  
L.A. Confidential  
Lost Boys  
Matrix  
Mean Streets  
Nightmare Before Christmas  
Over The Edge  
Reservoir Dogs  
Saving Private Ryan  
Shawshank Redemption  
Silence Of The Lambs  
Singles  
Species 2  
Spiderman  
Spiderman 2  
Spy Kids 3D  
Star Trek 2 Wrath of Khan  
Star Wars  
Superman The Movie  
Unforgiven  
Usual Suspects  
Wanderers  
Warriors  
Wings Of Desire  

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:02:35 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2010, 03:06:35 PM »

laugh1

That is actually funny.  :)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2010, 03:35:29 PM »
After answering the same questions 100 times, I think we just stand silent. 

Now Im pretty embarrassed at some of my questions  :-[ ...well maybe not so much embarrased as much as more understanding of some of the answers or lack of.  8)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2010, 03:59:45 PM »
Talk to y'all soon,
Jeannie

Now, look who's alive and well!!!  Glad to see you, my dear.  I'm going to call you soon, so you better freakin' pick up.  And none of that bullshit busy talk  ;D  Otherwise, I'll sell your body to the first taker on the freeway!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2010, 04:04:16 PM »
If you dig very very deep back into the internet archives - all publicly available - you'll find Dan's story and bits and parts of his old websites, although not complete:

Like I said, Mel, the original site had more authentication.  A few of us on here still have access to the 2nd authentication site (with all the movies you posted), but by respect for Dan, it won't get out of our personal files.  It's the first one that I would love to have.  All I have of that time is a copy of Dan's personal collection, with a few amazing pieces that I'm still trying to find.

T
My Personal Collection

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2010, 05:23:49 PM »
Someone made bootlegs of "Finding Nemo" & "Spy Kids 3D"?  Seriously?  Was there a huge demand for those posters that it necessitated fakes being printed up?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2010, 05:47:44 PM »
So I've been going back and reading through many of the most popular NSF threads - lots of high-quality information there NSF people.  (It's just too bad the NSF/MPF split ever occurred!)

Anway, all the same issues discussed here were hashed out endlessly on NSF more than two years ago here.  In fact, the amount of verbiage ABOUT MPA vastly exceeds the verbiage ON MPA itself.  

Since the let's-let-one-person-be-in-charge approach hasn't worked, maybe we should try the opposite: start a Wiki page that anybody can edit.  Hell it worked for Wikipedia and NOBODY initially believed the multiple editor approach would ever work.  I think Holiday mentioned that approach way back.   Looks like somebody tried to start one here - although it obviously didn't succeed.

Anybody have interest in that or have the technical knowledge to do it?

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2010, 07:07:35 PM »

If it takes you a minute, then I've given you too much credit.

'I thought he was just waving at flies...'

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2010, 08:20:51 PM »
Anway, all the same issues discussed here were hashed out endlessly on NSF more than two years ago here.  In fact, the amount of verbiage ABOUT MPA vastly exceeds the verbiage ON MPA itself.

Much of the real hashing out was done on MPT before it closed shop, but that threads probably a good summation. 

Since the let's-let-one-person-be-in-charge approach hasn't worked, maybe we should try the opposite: start a Wiki page that anybody can edit.  Hell it worked for Wikipedia and NOBODY initially believed the multiple editor approach would ever work.  I think Holiday mentioned that approach way back.   Looks like somebody tried to start one here - although it obviously didn't succeed.

Anybody have interest in that or have the technical knowledge to do it?

It was the approach that I and Mr. Rosen suggested back when MPA first started up.  Anyone could add information (which would be listed as unsubstantiated) until a trusted source was able to verify the information.  (Change red text to black or some other signifier)  I am in the process of working on a solution.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2010, 08:46:46 PM »

I wouldn't pay attention to a single word Dave has to say on the subject of authenticity... not because neally all of 'his information' is second hand from MPT, Dan R. and others, although it is, and not because what isn't borrowed is mostly rumour designed as enhanced selling tactics, although it is. 

I would ignore Dave, because his base assessment is 'real until proven fake', when truly reputable dealer work the other way around.

now that I have time to be back again, I'll be responding to lots of stuff that I'm just starting to read.. but to Jason's analysis - he is incorrect when he says "I would ignore Dave, because his base assessment is 'real until proven fake', when truly reputable dealer work the other way around."

what is correct is that any reputable dealer holds his judgement one way or the other - it's neither a bootleg or an original - it's a questionable poster..

that said, I agree that the Star Wars posters believed to be bootlegs are indeed bootlegs because I have originals to make comparisons, and because I know where my posters came from. Someone shows me a Pulp Fiction bootleg, and I know it is absolutely 100% a bootleg.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2010, 08:59:28 PM »

the scarecrow doesn't need 60 seconds

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Bruce

« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2010, 09:29:45 PM »
Anyone notice that whenever the discussion turns to whacking off, Rich is there like a bear? No matter how "busy" he is doing other things. Odd!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2010, 09:32:56 PM »
Anyone notice that whenever the discussion turns to whacking off, Rich is there like a bear? No matter how "busy" he is doing other things. Odd!

I did notice Bruce.  And then I smiled...
Chris