Author Topic: I'm done using USPS as my shipper  (Read 7344 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
I'm done using USPS as my shipper
« on: August 26, 2015, 11:18:59 PM »
So I sent these 2 posters through USPS via Parcel/Standard mail on 8/11/15 from Jacksonville FL. I shipped them inside one of Emovieposter's tubes which we all know are super strong. The posters arrived today 8/26/15 to Chicago, IL. See the pics. There is a UPS store a mile from my house that I will be using for any and all package shipping.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:20:42 PM by Chop-Top »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: I'm done using USPS as my shipper
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 11:52:36 PM »
Unfortunately EMP tubes are only gorilla proof. Handling by other means is pot luck.

That sure sucks though, as the tubes should be reliable for most situations. I guess factoring in the occasional destruction would be reasonable. You can only do so much. Nothing much will protect against a fork lift truck accidentally ( or not) backing over it.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 04:41:28 AM »
I sent a poster to UK with one of these, and it seems they left it in a PUDDLE until soaked through, THEN drove over it with a truck.
Seriously.
lucky I had a spare to send the buyer.
(Not USPS obviously)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:52:28 AM »
When I am forced to use USPS, I always spend the extra for priority mail.  You get a tracking number and I think the process of having to scan that at each station protects the package somewhat.

My son is in the Air Force, and can only receive USPS shipments.  I haven't had one damaged yet via priority mail.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 12:11:21 PM »
Sorry to see that, Chop! UGH!

Just when we all think that those gorilla tubes are almost indestructable!  Doh.gif

-Jeff

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 04:40:26 PM »
UPS probably won't yield you much better results.  Their packages are routinely mishandled as well, and you'll likely be spending more per package.  Always go Priority Mail with USPS -- then your package is usually shipped around the country via air and will go through less sort facilities where these mishaps can happen. 

Those thick Yazoo Mills tubes are pretty strong.  I've never seen one crushed like that before.  What a shame.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 01:26:59 AM »
That is an unfortunate freak occurrence for the USPS, Chop.
I have always found the reverse to be true, with UPS and FedEx being the culprits I will NEVER ship with.  NEVER.
Sorry for your loss, dude.
Those were nice posters.

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 01:32:57 AM »
Phea, who sells the Thai posters, taught me to send posters in a PVC tube.  Super strong!

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 01:52:01 AM »
Darn, that's rough.  I had a tough Yazoo Mills tube similarly crushed by the USPS.  Thankfully, everything worked out with the insurance claim and luckily the seller had one more copy of the poster that I really cared about.

However, I've had (non-poster) packages similarly destroyed by UPS and FedEx.  So I'm not sure there is much you can do other than pay for insurance and hope for the best.

As mwright mentioned PVC tubes are a good option if the additional shipping cost is justified for the items in question.  I haven't shipped in PVC myself, but I have checked a large PVC tube of posters on a flight from SFO -> SEA.  And if you've seen the way the baggage handlers at SeaTac treat luggage, this was a far scarier prospect to me than USPS/UPS/FedEx.  When I picked up the tube in baggage claim I saw that it had been opened and a sticker left noting that it had been examined by TSA (it looked like a pipe bomb I guess?).  My heart sunk as I feared that posters would be missing or damaged.  But everything was fine!  How is that for a ringing endorsement?  If PVC can withstand the TSA, then surely it can hold up to USPS/UPS/FedEx.

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 03:37:33 PM »
I agree that PVC tubes are the best. However, in this case, seems like your package somehow made its way out of the USPS vehicle, and got run over by the same vehicle.  faint2.gif
Rudy

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 10:15:14 AM »
I have always found the reverse to be true, with UPS and FedEx being the culprits I will NEVER ship with.  NEVER.

Me too.  The only poster tube I've ever had broken into was courtesy of UPS (luckily they didn't take anything) and, at least for deliveries here in cracker valley, FedEx seems to feel that tossing them in the creek and hoping they float their way to me is sufficient to call packages "delivered."

But yeah, PVC is the way to go although it is astounding that they managed that with an EMP tube.  Somebody took a special interest in destroying that package.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 02:46:34 AM »
Even IF the risk where the same with USPS vs. UPS/FedEx, which I don't believe for one minute, I'm STILL going to give my money to a company that is competing honestly in the private sector. Giving a monopolized state-backed agency any more money than is required is what I will not do anymore. Heck, if UPS or FedEx is worse, I won't go back. I'm done.

Mirosae

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 05:50:47 AM »
Very sorry. It looks like the package was targeted, what a terrible shape. Very sorry they have damaged your posters. If you are considering a claim good luck. Though of course the claim won't bring the posters back. I hate shipping with  passion moron1.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 08:08:22 AM »
I don't believe the truck theory.  It looks to me that it went lengthwise into a sorting machine, got jammed from behind by another package and caught in the mechanism.  The workers pulled it out and sent it on its way.
-Jay-