Author Topic: New member introduction  (Read 6267 times)

btcarfagno

New member introduction
« on: August 01, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »
Hello to everyone!

I just wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself. I started collecting movie paper when I was in my Sphomore year in high school which was a bit more than a quarter of a century ago (dear lord was it really that long ago???). I mostly bought and sold to help pay the bills for college, then when I got married and started a family around twenty years ago, priorities changed and funds were redirected other places.

Back in the day I used to set up at shows in West Berlin NJ (Holiday Inn I think??) as well as at show in NYC once or twice and one in Ocean City NJ as well. Used to belong to the MOPO listserve, which I think was in its infancy back then.

About four years ago I started to get back into collecting baseball memorabilia. I started to have some (not much) disposable income and got into the older stuff that I would gawk at as a little kid growing up. Once I started to actually make some money doing that, it sort of fed the addiction more and more.

Every once in a while I would see movie posters for sale in an auction and would always wonder what had happened with values etc since "back in the day". Finally, I saw an auction of a few vintage posters that, to me, just had to be worth more than they were going for. So, I jumped in. Hopefully to stay.

Most of what I have is available for sale. I have started a collection of my own, mostly of posters from my childhood that mean something to me. But most of what I post is available for sale. I don't have any reputation on this board, so I can certainly understand if people want to use caution with me. All I can do about that is to build trust through good transactions. I have done that on a vintage sports memorabilia board called net54baseball for the past several years, and my Ebay rating is over 2500.

I love vintage posters as I love vintage movies. I hope to be somewhat active on this board, but ask patience while I learn the "do's and don'ts" around here.

Tom C

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
Re: New member introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:27:55 AM »
 welcome1 to APF Tom.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 12:06:57 PM »
 welcome2.gif enjoy the show..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 06:40:12 PM »
Hello to everyone!

...........I don't have any reputation on this board, so I can certainly understand if people want to use caution with me. All I can do about that is to build trust through good transactions.

........., but ask patience while I learn the "do's and don'ts" around here.

Tom C

Very open and magnanimous of you sir.

Welcome.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 09:26:56 PM »
Very open and magnanimous of you sir.

Welcome.

^
 cheers

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 09:38:19 PM »
Hi Tom,
What's the C stand for? Some of us other old bastards might remember you from mopo.

Ari
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

btcarfagno

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
Thank you everyone.

Having been a member of a similar board for vintage baseball memorabilia for about four year now, I know sometimes noobs can step on some toes...and that on occasion it isn't meant that way. Other times the person is just a jagoff, which I'd like to think isn't me. So I do get it and will watch the way things happen here.

Ari...the C is just for my last name, which is in my screen name. The baseball board I am on feels it is important to put your name with your posts so that there is less flaming coming from anonymous interwebs sources. If someone's name is behind a post the thought is that he or she might be a little more toned down. At least on a consistent basis anyway. On MOPO I think my screen name was cgrantfan but am not sure about that.

In another thread someone asked if I kept the stuff I had two decades ago. Most of what I had and brought to shows were things I could afford on a student's budget. I had some lower level posters, but moreso had things like magazines, sheet music, tearsheet ads, cigarette cards, postcards etc. I did the Holiday Inn show in West Berlin NJ regularly for a couple years. Did an NYC show once or twice. Did shows in Ocean City NJ three or four times. But my inventory was such that it isn't much of a shame that I didn't keep it. Really just kept the Cary Grant posters that I had and a Harvey three sheet which is hanging in my house.

These days, like I said, I am buying and selling when I see things I think are too cheap. Helps pay the bills and keeps the wife off my back so I can be near these items that iI love. Have bought some items for myself...mostly posters from childhood movies like Animal House, Stripes, E.T., Bull Durham, etc. Want one for the Breakfast Club but my goodness they are not cheap!! Star Wars and Empire Strikes back are next if one evr slips through the cracks a bit.

Tom C
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:34:12 AM by btcarfagno »

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 03:09:19 PM »
Howdy  welcome1.

I am still somewhat of a newbie here as well.
Rudy

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 09:40:20 PM »
aha I do remember you, or the name, (in my head read Cary Grant fan).

welcome
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 10:00:33 PM »
Cary Grant fan

Hey, that's me...

:)

btcarfagno

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 12:08:47 AM »
Hey, that's me...

:)

My wife and I named our first dog Archibald Leach. And our first born (twins) were born on his birthday.

Tom C

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 01:32:41 AM »
Thank you everyone.

Having been a member of a similar board for vintage baseball memorabilia for about four year now, I know sometimes noobs can step on some toes...and that on occasion it isn't meant that way. Other times the person is just a jagoff, which I'd like to think isn't me. So I do get it and will watch the way things happen here.

Ari...the C is just for my last name, which is in my screen name. The baseball board I am on feels it is important to put your name with your posts so that there is less flaming coming from anonymous interwebs sources. If someone's name is behind a post the thought is that he or she might be a little more toned down. At least on a consistent basis anyway. On MOPO I think my screen name was cgrantfan but am not sure about that.

In another thread someone asked if I kept the stuff I had two decades ago. Most of what I had and brought to shows were things I could afford on a student's budget. I had some lower level posters, but moreso had things like magazines, sheet music, tearsheet ads, cigarette cards, postcards etc. I did the Holiday Inn show in West Berlin NJ regularly for a couple years. Did an NYC show once or twice. Did shows in Ocean City NJ three or four times. But my inventory was such that it isn't much of a shame that I didn't keep it. Really just kept the Cary Grant posters that I had and a Harvey three sheet which is hanging in my house.

These days, like I said, I am buying and selling when I see things I think are too cheap. Helps pay the bills and keeps the wife off my back so I can be near these items that iI love. Have bought some items for myself...mostly posters from childhood movies like Animal House, Stripes, E.T., Bull Durham, etc. Want one for the Breakfast Club but my goodness they are not cheap!! Star Wars and Empire Strikes back are next if one evr slips through the cracks a bit.

Tom C

Any pics of the Harvey 3 sheet ?,it's my favourite movie :-)

Stew

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 01:41:54 AM »
 welcome2.gif  Tom and enjoy the forum.  Lots of great people here and look forward to seeing some of your collection, too!!  thumbsup.gif

Jeff

-Jeff

btcarfagno

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 08:46:43 PM »
My wife and I named our first dog Archibald Leach. And our first born (twins) were born on his birthday.

Tom C

I'm sure I can take one or two. It has faded a bit over the years but that's OK with me. Never will be for sale.

I also have a Harvey Broadway program signed by Jimmy Stewart.

Tom C

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 11:14:34 AM »
Welcome Tom!
Chris

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 07:22:46 PM »
Another new person! Hooray!  Welcome to the fold (or are we the rolled?). I'm sure you'll like it here. GREAT people on here. Please share photos of your collection when you can.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!