Author Topic: Ebay Categories - problem. Help.  (Read 7657 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Ebay Categories - problem. Help.
« on: June 23, 2015, 04:37:49 PM »
Is anyone having, or has had, problems with search criteria in ebay?

On both ebay.co.uk and .com, I have saved searches with a bunch of key words to be ignored.  When clicking the link, the search criteria stays true but I am returned everything in All Categories.

When I change the category (back) to the Film Memorabilia related one, it again turns everything up in All Categories.

I sent my link over to an ebay Help person and he said it was working for him.

I have deleted cookies and am running a Scan through AVG.

What in the name of all things holy, is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Ebay Categories - problem. Help.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 02:15:35 PM »
Has no one experienced this issue?

It is driving me insane.  And I have backed out IE11 to IE 8, tried it on Firefox. all with the same results.

The first and saved link can sometimes work.  But when I stick another search in the same Entertainment, or Film Memorabilia section, it brings up results in All Categories.  And no matter the number of times I try to search only in my Categories, it leaves me in All.

Can people try it to see.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 02:31:21 PM »
Hi Simon,

I had this happen just a handful of times yesterday, too.. maybe 3-4, then it corrected itself when i was doing the same Ent Memorabilia/Poster search.

I think it may be ebay. I noticed, too, just this AM, all the pics in my saved list were the generic photo icon, without the actual photos. So maybe they are tweaking things on their end.

*update.. pics are now again re-appearing in my Saved/Summary list.  :)

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 02:33:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 05:30:31 PM »
Ok, thanks fella.

I will see what happens in a few days.

Cheers sir.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 08:32:53 PM »
For it being shiite and all, its pretty cool that you can call ebay at almost any time of day and speak to a real human being who will solve (or work to solve) any issues you are having with anything. 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »
Yup. Past 2 days it seems every other search is resulting in DVDs and merchandise and all manor of crap.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 02:34:13 PM »
Yup.

'Tis definitely ebay.

I have tried it on multiple laptops, two different browsers, two different versions of IE... all the same results.

I will be speaking to them tonight.

Cheers fella.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 02:58:55 PM »
Yup.

'Tis definitely ebay.

I have tried it on multiple laptops, two different browsers, two different versions of IE... all the same results.

I will be speaking to them tonight.

Cheers fella.

Thanks!  Please keep us updated...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 05:08:12 PM »
Well, that was frustrating.

The first girl swore blind that this was how it always worked.  She sounded barely 17, and my saying that, 'once one had chosen ones category from the drop down menu to the right of the search box, one was permitted to Stay in that category - and this was how it had worked for the last 15 years', probably didn't register.

So then I moved on to a supervisor person, who did understand the problem and promised to send my feedback, back up the chain.  Who knows whether it will or not.  My point to her being that if I wanted to stay within Film Memorabilia, or its US or French cousin, to look for photographs, I didn't then want to see results for Kawasaki motorcycles or air filters.

Ah yes, she said.  Very understandable.

And then I said, that if ebay didn't want to change this functionality back, then they have effectively rendered redundant the drop down menu altogether, because it is now forever ignored.

Ah, I see, she said.

Anyway.  If this is how you are all seeing it, maybe something will get sorted.  For now though, I can't be arsed to search for anything on ebay.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 05:09:13 PM »
And now I'm going to start another moaning thread.  Heritage.

Coming up...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 06:46:02 AM »
The ebay issue seems to be sorted...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 10:11:24 AM »
Thanks for getting it sorted! My searches were back to normal this morning… Yay!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 12:00:44 PM »
So if an ebay seller doesn't ship internationally or to my country, I can't even ask him a question, the system won't let me send him a message to tell him that if I win he can ship it to a US address of a person I know?  To boot, the only real reason I know about the auction is that I saw it on a third party site like collectorsweekly, otherwise it wouldn't even be visible to me. 

Aren't sellers (and ebay) loosing out on mucho dinero because the platform doesn't allow this sort of discussion to take place?  moron1   

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 12:17:20 PM »
I've seen this issue too.

Think you need to set up a search function that states specifically Items only within a certain country.  And then save it.  Advanced Search options.

I only became aware of some Saint lobby cards after coming across a spurious 3rd party site that rounds up just lobby cards!  Once I had got my head around why I was not seeing them in an ordinary ebay.com search from the UK, I sorted the amended search out.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 03:03:26 AM »
Vick, if it's a UK or European seller, feel free to PM me the questions and seller and I can message them to get you connected.

Mirosae

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 03:22:51 AM »
Vick, if it's a UK or European seller, feel free to PM me the questions and seller and I can message them to get you connected.

Same here Vick, i am happy to help

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 06:17:19 AM »
Not sure the 'hooking up' will help as I have tried to ask the US seller I had come across to open up her boundaries to the rest of the world.

She wasn't seeing anything untoward and so I created a separate search whereby in the Advanced section, I specified the US in the Locations box.  Since then, her wares came up!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 08:49:06 AM »
appreciate the offers, much obliged.  This particular seller is in the US.  Even using one of my american friends as a proxy seems ridiculous.  Why wouldn't I be able to ask the seller a friggin question?  Heck, he doesn't even have to answer if he doesn't want to.   I tried to "view seller's other items" to see if I could find one of his auctions where's he's not so xenophobic and of course ebay doesn't let me see any of his stuff that way because i'm not in the US.  Maybe i'll call them and complain.  Globalization is dead folks.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 02:44:00 PM »
^ maybe try using a proxy server based in the US to makes your web browsing look like you are in the US. Some methods:
1.use a free proxy site like http://www.theproxyfree.com/ and enter the eBay web address in the field half way down the page
2. If you use a vpn, select a server in the US

Mirosae

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2016, 05:01:37 AM »
^ maybe try using a proxy server based in the US to makes your web browsing look like you are in the US. Some methods:
1.use a free proxy site like http://www.theproxyfree.com/ and enter the eBay web address in the field half way down the page

I will use it to watch BBC and UK broadcast abroad. I can't find a reliable proxy.... thumbsup.gif

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 05:41:22 AM »
Hmm.

Having just had a quick look at their site, they variously say,

"TheProxyFree.com will protect you privacy and may keep you away from spy-ware and virus. So, you can safe safely and anonymously."

and...

"We has provided free web proxy services since 2006. Our prominent features include:"

It all sounds rather like one of those emails we are told to avoid.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 06:16:42 AM »
^ Hey, I am the spelling police on this site!

Theproxyfree is a free site and I haven't had any problem and it has been around for years and i can't see any bad reviews. You're welcome to find another free site that suits you better and recommend it here, I would be keen to know!

Otherwise, do what I just did only minutes ago, I bought (renewed) my VPN subscription for 2 more years ($60). VPNs can be a bit tricky to set up so that they don't slow your system down.

For this purpose, unless you have a VPN already, I suggest a free proxy service like I mentioned above

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 09:25:10 AM »
appreciate the offers, much obliged.  This particular seller is in the US.  Even using one of my american friends as a proxy seems ridiculous.  Why wouldn't I be able to ask the seller a friggin question?  Heck, he doesn't even have to answer if he doesn't want to.   I tried to "view seller's other items" to see if I could find one of his auctions where's he's not so xenophobic and of course ebay doesn't let me see any of his stuff that way because i'm not in the US.  Maybe i'll call them and complain.  Globalization is dead folks.

I think you can also set up an address in the appropriate country in ebay , then set that to default to browse and contact sellers.  That works for me.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:28:09 AM by jedgerley »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 12:18:22 PM »
I think you can also set up an address in the appropriate country in ebay , then set that to default to browse and contact sellers.  That works for me.

Right on Jason.

Ive set up (registered) on a couple of the foreign ebay sites in this way, and it works like a charm.   thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 07:27:54 PM »
the proxy site seems to be for mobiles, I'm old school desktop (pls don't tell anyone how i live)
i'll have to see if my 11 year old niece can show me the VPN stuff.
I think ebay.com also has my canadian address, so it doesnt seem to work any better.  Hopefully I can change that for a US address and it doesnt mess with my ebay.ca info. 

Notwithstanding all this helpful advice re workarounds, it's still pretty silly i can't just send the fawker a bloody question!  Thanks ebay !  thumbsup.gif