Author Topic: Monster A Go-Go's Shock-A-Rama Poster Show (in Blood-Curdling Freak-O-Vision!)  (Read 348612 times)

guest4955

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
 thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

Good stuff as ever, MAGGS! I always enjoy stopping by your thread. A lot of framed ones in the last couple of updates - was that just for the photos? Or do you have all of those hanging? Happy collecting!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket

DIE SISTER, DIE!:

I dig this fun, creepy, nightmarish poster. Too bad NOTHING like this happens in the snore-inducing movie.

Interesting composition, and nice artwork of Ms. Brinke Stevens, and all. 8) Although that style is a little dark for me, seeing a poster or dvd/video cover like that would be compelling to check out the movie.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Hi Monster!

Your bookshelf selections are helping me understand why your neighbor(s) may be booby trapping your home entry points!  I expect your bookmobile may be sanctioned only by that "other company" library.

You are frame wealthy, my brother, and apparently closet, closet wealthy!   

That's sure a lot of eye brow hair peaking out of those Prom glory peepholes.

Buff, go, and snow, sure can make for a golden ski adventure!

"Big Top Pee Wee" was just too close to "Pop a Tent Wee Wee", and we know the fate of that story...

"We are going to eat you," said Charles to Camilla. Sorry, does anyone even remember that tawdry, tabloid talk anymore?  It is a bit of the walking dead now.

I think Faye Dunaway is watchable in any film, and Tommy Lee Jones seems to always deliver as well.

Nice going, Monster!

Okie

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder

Hi there. It's time for another Shock-O-Rama Poster Show. It's still summer and I thought I'd just use up the gifs that were bottom o' the barrel that have been sitting in my files forever. You'll see why they're left overs. Ha! Mostly they are guys--and is that some boy band? Whatever---this really is the last of the crappy beach/summer gifs.  The posters are rather hodge-podge themselves. Not a lot to see---as you'll see.

Did everyone tune in for the great Heritage Auction major auction today? I watched---but didn't bid. I'm broke and in the process of refinancing my house. I was told not to make any big purchases until escrow closes. Sigh. There were so many goodies. I'd have loved to just scored one. oh well. Next time, perhaps. How did YOU do?

Let me quickly say hello to my visitors.

Hi Mel. Yes, you have me pegged. I like my MONSTERS. I may have to look for that book. Any good?

Tob, yes many shown recently are framed. In addition to showing new acquisitions, now that i am more settled back into my house, i thought I'd go ahead and show some of my other posters I had long before joining APF. At one time I valiantly-yet-foolishly tried to frame all of my posters. I have more than 200 in frames. I do have many up on my walls---but most are unfortunately crammed into closets or where ever I can fit them. The hundreds...well, probably THOUSANDS of others are crammed in boxes or tubes. I still have a long way to go before i know just what I have.

Neo/Brandon, I am glad you like the art for DIE, SISTER, DIE. The poster is the best thing about the film...but that is NOT Brinke Stevens. That is supposed to be Antoinette Bower. This is from 1978 and not very good. But you are right. The artwork DID get me to check out the movie. Ha!

Okie...your usual, funny, weird ramble is always welcome. (And I do remember the Charles/Camilla scandal)  Glad you liked the posts.

Thank you all for visiting.

Now let the poster games begin....

HERBIE GOES BANANAS:

Ever have one of those moments where you see a poster for auction and think 'I know! I'll start collecting that series.' Thus I have HERBIE GOES BANANAS. Oops. What was I thinking? I only saw the first two HERBIE movies---when I was a CHILD. I never saw this one (or HERBIE GOES TO MONTE CARLO...or even the remake/sequel thing with Lindsey Lohan). Oh well.

TIARA TAHITI:

I have no clue as to what this movie is. I had never heard of it before until I saw the poster. Tahiti sounded tropical. Future tiki room (bar) poster? Maybe. It was cheap...but not that exciting. (Maybe it would look better after a few Mai Tais?)

GOR:

I have no idea what this is. I've seen the GOR books--but never read any. This movie looks like it was probably BAD. Ha! This was a cheap-o. Why not?

THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM (Italian 4F 1975 re-release):

I kind of wish I had NOT gotten this. There are a couple of things about I'm not thrilled with. The guy on the slab and the blade are the same artwork as on the US poster...and I didn't realize until too late that it is a 4 foglio size---meaning it is in 2 pieces, which I hate. They're just TOO BIG! Oh well. The image of Vincent Price is a nice added feature.

SON OF SAMSON:

Yes, I already have this poster---but it was less than $7 and I do like my "Hercules movies". Have I seen this? Hmm. I think I have (probably have), but do not recall now.

THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE (3D):

Well, YAHOO! Another vintage 3D title from the 1950s. This was part of the 3D explosion of 1953 (following the breakout success of BWANA DEVIL, the first 3D feature length movie in 1952) that saw the release of 29 3D feature films and numerous 3D shorts. While I have several vintage 3D posters....this one was not one of them until now. This is allegedly in better shape than it looks. I've never seen this, but it stars Agnes (Endora from "Bewitched") Moorehead? Oh my. I can NOT imagine her in a musical. Ha! Wish I could see it (but only if it were in 3D, of course).

THE YELLOW HOUSE ON PINNASBERG:

Ha! Talk about phallic... This poster made me laugh---so, since it was under $5, I bought it. I looked this up (after buying it). Apparently it is a West German sex comedy from the early 1970s about a brothel for frustrated and lonely housewives (staffed by mostly men--hence the shape of the house, perhaps?). Also known as "The Sex Nest" apparently. I've never seen it---it would probably suck--but the poster is ribald fun.

CONCORDE AFFAIR (aka CONCORDE AFFAIRE '79 and S.O.S. CONCORDE) (Italian 2F):

Zowie! Italian filmmakers, especially in the '70s and '80s, were the kings of copyright infringement. Thank goodness, or we wouldn't have such jewels as ZOMBIE or BEYOND THE DOOR, etc. Universal Studios was prepping to unleash its 4th AIRPORT flick on the world, THE CONCORDE: AIRPORT '79, when the Italians beat them to the punch with this ripoff---CONCORDE AFFAIR (which was widely released as CONCORDE AFFAIR '79. See the confusing similarity? Ha!). This is one of the few disaster flicks I've not yet tracked down and watched, but I have seen the French trailer(under the "S.O.S. CONCORDE" title: ). It looks like the movie is all over the place, ripping off more than just the AIRPORT series. The trailer I saw has a shark, a boating disaster (small scale), chase scenes (on land), etc. And this film apparently does its best to combine THE CONCORDE: AIRPORT '79 with the previous AIRPORT '77 by having it crash/become submerged under the ocean on a ledge (as shown with a ridiculously lousy model). This isn't the most interesting poster ever (far from it), but I am happy to have it to add to my disaster collection.

SKYSCRAPER:

I know this is probably just another Dwayne Johnson movie....but it looks like it could be very TOWERING INFERNO-esque (just with Dwayne Johnson getting in the way doing Dwayne Johnson-type things). The disaster element was the draw for me here. No, I have not seen the movie yet---but I may. (I sat through SAN ANDREAS and RAMPAGE for the earthquake/Kong-esque parts.)

SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (Italian 2F 1963 re-release):

I had a French re-release of SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, which I sold a while back. I kind of regret that (classic Universal horror in any form is kind of hard to find), but I just was not wild about the poster. This Italian poster has different art than I've ever seen for a Frankenstein flick. It's nice. I'm not sure if I love it or not, yet. The creature's skin tone is the same as the other guy's...not green, gray or pastey or bluish. He is wearing his typical, stylish outfit though (blazer, t-shirt, pants--although they almost look like blue jeans). With the chain, this almost makes it look like a Frankenstein juvenile delinquent story. It is a colorful poster, though. I'm hoping it will grow on me.

That's it for now. I'll let you get back into the swim of things and enjoy the rest of your summer.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia

THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM (Italian 4F 1975 re-release):

I kind of wish I had NOT gotten this. There are a couple of things about I'm not thrilled with. The guy on the slab and the blade are the same artwork as on the US poster...and I didn't realize until too late that it is a 4 foglio size---meaning it is in 2 pieces, which I hate. They're just TOO BIG! Oh well. The image of Vincent Price is a nice added feature.

nice poster. enjoy the beach

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder

Welcome back! It's another look at my "classic collection"--posters I had BEFORE I started posting online. This time, we are surrounded by more "classic" books that never existed (the leftovers from before---and these really are the last of 'em. Promise!).

Hi RICH. Glad you liked the PIT/PENDULUM poster. Thanks for visiting.

Now, let's see what I dug up today, shall we?

DIARY OF THE DEAD:

Yet another sequel to the amazing NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. George Romero churned out six of these--NIGHT, DAWN, DAY, LAND, DIARY, and SURVIVAL (OF THE DEAD). They were not always great---and none after equaled the shock of the first two--but they were all at least good and better than a lot of the other junk that has gone straight to video.

KING KONG LIVES:

One of the all-time worst sequels/movies---I loved it! Ha! So bad it was awesome. So, of COURSE, I had to have the poster. If you have not seen this flick, you owe it to yourself to do so...for it's jaw-dropping unbelievability. See KONG get a Volkswagen-sized artificial heart. See KONG and "Lady Kong" (really!) escape together and spend a romantic night on Honeymoon Ridge (really!). See the birth of (totally out of proportion) "Baby Kong"! You'll be amazed this was ever released---let alone MADE! Zowie! You just can't make crap like this up. Ha!

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (remake lenticular):

Yes, I rushed out to see this. NOT because I thought the movie would be good, but because it was in 3D.  This was, I think, the first BIG hit in the modern 3D revival. I wasn't thrilled with the film--nor was I thrilled with the posters for it, but I was lucky (?) enough to snag the lenticular version. Now i just need the lightbox to hang it in. (Sorry for the reflection of the other posters on my wall)

SHARKBOY AND LAVAGIRL (lenticular):

No, I did NOT see this flick...but gladly bought this poster for it as it was a groovy lenticular. Love those lenticulars...

MOTHER'S DAY:

This was an awesome, yet harrowing, movie. I believe it was unrated. In many ways, it reminded me of I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE. Thrilled with the poster. Classick horror.

GRINDHOUSE:

I was fortunate enough to go to the sneak preview showing of this in my town. I expected the theater to be packed and got there hours early. Not many people were there. I was stunned. When the film flopped, I was equally stunned. While I wasn't a fan of DEATH PROOF, i loved PLANET TERROR and all of the fake trailers (I'm still hoping they'll actually make THANKSGIVING like they did with MACHETE).

WEEKEND MURDERS and THE BLACK BELLY OF THE TARANTULA (combo re-release):

I dig having this combo double feature poster more than I would having posters for each individual film (which I may have?). I love the images and the double feature adds to the cheesiness of it all. No, I've never seen either flick. Do I need to?

CONAN THE BARBARIAN (remake):

I won this poster in a contest promoting the film---and I am thrilled about it. I saw the flick in 3D. It was okay. However, what makes this poster special is because it is autographed by three of the stars in it; Jason Momoa, Rose McGowan and Rachel Nichols.

Rose McGowan

Jason Momoa

Rachel Nichols

CORPSE BRIDE:

Tim Burton's stop-motion follow-up to A NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS was not the big hit Jack Skellington's flick was---but it was still quite visually stunning in Burton's own unique way. I dig the poster.

MULHOLLAND DR.:

Here is the other style of poster for David Lynch's masterpiece (I posted the other style a while back). Of COURSE I needed these. Love my David Lynch stuff. I'm savoring the 25-years-later third season of TWIN PEAKS now. I am glad to see Naomi Watts (from this film) appearing in the series.

SILENT MADNESS:

Here's one of the 80s 3D flicks I missed---as it NEVER played here. Waaaagh! Although i am sure it is crap-o-rama awful, i'd love to see it in axe-n-your-face 3D. Zowie!

FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER and CURSE OF THE VOODOO (half sheet):

The first time I ever heard of this movie or saw the poster art for it was when I stumbled on the auction for this half sheet. WOW! The poster was in rough condition---something I would normally avoid---and was a half sheet (I also avoid those) but I HAD to have it. I bid way, way, WAY too much---but I really needed it. I won it and had it framed. I was have since gotten a pristine one sheet for this combo---which is hanging in my hallway now. Crappy movie---but I LOVE the poster.

Okay--that was actually 12 posters (instead of my usual 10)(I was using up all of the "book" spacer photos). There are LOTS more in the closests, boxes,and tubes. Stay tuned. And now, what an ordeal. It's time to get some rest. Tomorrow is another day.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder

Welcome back to the Shock-O-Rama Poster Show! Today we are returning to the vaults for more "classic" posters from my collection (posters I had BEFORE I started posting them online). With the exception of the first two, the bulk of this post will be devoted to JAWS knock offs. Joy! I do want to apologize for the photos---I am no photographer (and you'll see why I usually post the photos from the auctions I win from). So let's let the poster parade begin!

REVENGE OF THE SHOGUN WOMEN (3D):

I love this poster.I've never seen the movie--and probably never will. It's a long forgotten martial arts movie from the '70s. Snore. But why do i love the poster? It's just the art. It really tries to convey the 3D experience. The characters and their weapons are popping off of the painted screen while the audience members below scramble to dodge out of the way. Couple that with some eye=popping color and you have a fun poster. In fact, this was the VERY FIRST framed poster I hung up in my house as an adult.

HILLBILLYS IN A HAUNTED HOUSE:

Ferlin Husky (who?) is B-A-C-K. After the moderate success of LAS VEGAS HILLBILLYS (featuring Mamie Van Doren and Jayne Mansfield!), a sequel came about---this time set in a haunted house. Yowza! Joi Lansing filled in for Mamie...and horror has-beens John Carradine, Lon Chaney and Basil Rathbone are on hand for the horror hijinks. Silly--and filled with country music performances (O' the horror of that!).

JAWS (re-release):

Until I got my copies of the original JAWS poster, I had to settle (for years and YEARS) with this re-release poster. That was okay--it was still the same iconic image--but every time I looked at it, it made me want the original that much more. Ironically, I never saw JAWS in the theater until the re-release. Ha!

PIRANHA:

This was a great little flick (--and it's already been remade twice! Jeepers). I had been shipped off to my bio-father's house for the summer (he lived in the mountains--miles from any theater) when this came out---so I didn't get to see it at first. I later caught it as a co-feature for another film (the poster for it is below. I'll mention it when we get there) and loved it. This is probably my favorite JAWS knock-off.

PIRANHA II: FLYING KILLERS:

PIRANHA II: FLYING KILLERS (aka PIRANHA II: THE SPAWNING) was a dud. The flying piranha were cool---and they made for a nifty poster--but the over all movie was WEAK. I first saw this poster while traveling through Europe in 1981. Zowie! The art made me really want to see the film desperately...but I had trouble with the title as it was usually printed in another language (Spanish, French, Italian, German? I was all over that summer...). I missed it in my home town (I was travelling), but from what I could see, it only played at a drive in when it was here. Oh well--the poster is cool.

KILLER FISH:

I remember seeing the ad in the paper for it when it came out. Ooooo I wanted to go so badly. I didn't get to see it until it debuted on TV (NBC, as I recall) in the fall of 1981. I remember that as I had just gotten back from my stint as an exchange student to Chile. When I saw this flick, I was so taken with it because it featured the Brazilian airline Varig (which had been the airline we had flown from Florida to Rio and then over to Santiago in Chile---and back). While on Varig, at the tender age of 16, I was pleasantly surprised when the stewardess (they were still called stewardesses then--not flight attendants) gave me a bottle of wine with dinner---without asking for ID or charging me for it. Zowie! On the way back home, I had stopped in a duty free shop and purchased a stuffed real piranha while in Rio. So a piranha movie with Varig airlines taking place in South America really resonated with me at the time. The movie is just so-so (dig that cheesy tornado that comes and goes so quickly. It looks like someone doodled it onto the film stock. Ha!), but fun in a campy way.

GREAT WHITE (Teaser):

When this came out, I was in high school. I'd look at the San Francisco Chronicle and Los Angeles Times movie ads in the school library. I saw this picture in the SF paper WEEKS before the film came out...but already knew I HAD to see it.

GREAT WHITE:

When this film came out, it was immediately slapped with a lawsuit by Universal Studios for copyright infringement/plagiarism. I read about the court case in the paper daily. Oh my stars! I HAD to see this. I rushed down to the theater showing this one day via foot/bus---that's how badly I wanted to see it. Yes, it was pretty crappy...but in an awesome way. I am so glad I got to see it, because the very next day it had been yanks from the theater and some double feature of movies that had recently had their run was put in to finish off the week. Universal won the suit---I mean, the lead character is a writer (not a police chief) named Peter Benton (similar to JAWS author Peter Benchley). There is a mayor bent on keeping shark talk hush-hush for fear it will scare away summer tourists and summer dollars. And there is Vic Morrow doing his very best Robert Shaw as Quint imitation.

CROCODILE:

I caught this on video back in the VHS era...and was surprised to find it had played theatrically when I came across this movie poster. Of COURSE I bought it instantly. What a cool poster.

UP FROM THE DEPTHS:

Back in the late 70s and early 80s, I would spend the weekends with my grandmother and we would go to the movies. I usually ended up dragging her off to see some horror flick---which she hated. After going to see DAWN OF THE DEAD with her (I had to---the theater was treating it like an R Rated film and I was only 13 at the time), I knew I could not do that to her any more. (She had walked out of DAWN OF THE DEAD and spent the rest of the movie in the lobby.) So I began to look for alternate movies she could watch while I watched my horror flicks. When UP FROM THE DEPTHS came out, it opened at a 4-plex and was co-billed with PIRANHA.  Ooooo I HAD to see that double bill. But what was there for grandma (and my younger brother, who was also along that weekend). I sent them to THE MUPPET MOVIE (which started a long time after my double bill did and finished way earlier than mine). Towards the end of UP FROM THE DEPTHS, my grandmother and brother snuck into my theater to wait with me and watched the rest of the film with me. They had hated THE MUPPET MOVIE. Ha! Oh well. I tried to appease them.  UP FROM THE DEPTHS was lousy and the dialogue did not match the mouths--it was just a tad slow. But I dug it any way. The poster was one of the first things I sought out when I first discovered eBay. SOLD!

Thanks for joining me. That's all today. Now, don't go all to pieces. I'll be back again soon with more posters to share.

CHEERS!

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
So much good stuff here.

Die Sister Die---must find one of these for my good friend Amanda for X-mas!
Corpse Bride---so good---I'm a Burton junkie though.
Piranha---love it and have that one as well!
Great White---ditto.
Love the double features---basically two posters for the price of one!  I'm such a sucker for these.
Mulholland Drive--Naomi is just so pretty imo.  Big Lynch fan as well.
Crocodile---haven't seen this one.  I think I saw Alligator as a kid---the one with gator in sewer. 
Grindhouse/Death Proof--I have this one too but have never seen---thinks it's the only Tarantino I've missed.

Good times!
-Brian

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Some of my favorites, and nice way to cap off Shark Week.  cool1

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder

Greeting! I'm back again with more of my "Classic Collection," which is posters I had BEFORE I started posting online. (Remember, I have been collecting since I was 11 back in 1976.) Although there is nothing about the original KING KONG in this post (I didn't get my 1956 re-release poster until after I started posting online. My 60's international poster I got a second copy of while I was already online as well---so those will not be included in the "classics collection"). However, there are a few later KONGS and a KONG wanna be. So why not salute the BIG guy anyway?

Before we get to the posters, let me say hello to my recent visitors...

hepcatpunk: Hi there. Thanks for the note. It sounds like we have similar tastes. We even have some of the same posters, it sounds like (PIRANHA and GREAT WHITE). Good luck finding a DIE, SISTER, DIE for your friend. The poster is cool, but the movie is utter crap. Because of that, I believe you can still find copies at fairly reasonable prices (but even as I say this i notice how poster prices keep going up and up! Jinkies!). Stop by here any time.

Neo/Brandon:  It is always a pleasure having you visit. It was Shark Week? Ha! Who knew?

Okay---FINALLY. Here are 10 more "classic" finds from closet...

KING KONG ESCAPES:

Zowie! It's KING KONG VS MECHA KONG in this wild Toho take on the great ape. The 2nd (and final) Japanese Kong is still obviously a man in a (bad) monkey suit---but hello? It's KING KONG! You gotta love it.

KING KONG (1976 remake):

The 1976 remake may not hold a candle to the original, but it did introduce us to (future) Oscar winning actress, Jessica Lange and di have several other things going for it (like an incredible score by John Barry),. It also had a great poster. This image was EVERYWHERE in the fall of 1976. It was on magazines, on T-Shirts, on beach towels, on lunch boxes, on Slurpee cups at 7-11 and even on trading cards. True--everything is out of scale (the girl, the ape, the aircraft and the buildings), but it is still an awesome look at what the movie promised. (And it was so ingrained in people's minds that it was borrowed for GODZILLA VS MEGALON, with the two monsters duking it out on the World Trade Center, even though that scene never takes place in the film!) I actually got to go up on the roof of one of the towers once (in 1998). I am terrified of heights, so I didn't stay up there long. (I also visited the Empire State Building---hitting all of Kong's hangouts, ya know...) I never got close to any railing to look down (if that was even allowed), but I did go to a widow back down in the visitor's center (top floor) and look down. YIKES!

A*P*E (aka SUPER KING KONG) (Turkish):

Made quickly to cash in on all of the publicity surrounding the new KING KONG remake in 1976, A*P*E was sued by RKO when it was first announced (originally it was to be called THE NEW KING KONG), before receiving its title change for US markets. But overseas, it was marketed as a KING KONG film, as you can see by this wonderful Turkish poster below. A*P8E was also made in 3D amazingly, especially considering that this movie only had a budget of $23,000 (in 1976) and was shot in 14 days. TV's "GROWING PAINS" mom, Joanna Kerns, stars in the film (although she is billed as Joanna Deverona (or something like that) in the movie...  God knows where they came up with Gilda McDonall for the poster, though! Ha!)

CARRIE:

This is one of the oldest (meaning I've had it the longest) posters in my collection, probably the 2nd poster I ever owned or so. I love this poster for CARRIE. I wanted to see it so bad as a kid---but got taken to AIRPORT '77 instead when my chance came. Drat it all. The movie is a true classic and holds up so well, despite the clothes and the hair. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie both deserved their Oscar nominations for this amazing film. Forget the remakes and sequel (Yes, there really was a sequel. THE RAGE: CARRIE 2. Look it up!). The original is still queen of the prom.

A NIGHT IN HEAVEN:

Normally I probably would have passed on this flick, but when I had the chance to meet Christopher Atkins once, I snagged this poster and had him sign it (see close up of signature below). I actually got two copies for him to sign (thinking I could maybe sell one down the road---have not done so yet).

ZOTZ:

William Castle was the king of the gimmicks. Everything from Percepto (tiny shocks to the seats of audience members) in THE TINGLER, to a death by fright insurance policy for MACABRE, or a ghost that floated over the audience (EMERGO) in THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL helped him sell his little horror films back in the 1950s and 60s. I'm a Castle fan and have all of his horror movie posters (with the exception of the beautiful and terribly expensive HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL poster). ZOTZ is about a magic coin...and plastic ZOTZ coins were given out to theater patrons. I have one somewhere (an ebay find many years ago).

MY BLOODY VALENTINE:

Here's the poster for a classic 80's holiday slasher flick. I think I've picked up other copies over the years (it's always nice to have a spare). Apparently this original version of MY BLOODY VALENTINE was savaged by the MPAA to get an R rating. I thought I had heard talk of a special edition video release or something like that with the censored parts restored, but I don't think anything has come of it. The remake was a lot more gruesome and bloody (and in 3D to boot) than the original ever thought of being.

ALICE IN WONDERLAND ('70's re-release):

'Tis Brillig! I got this poster at the Disney MGM Studios (I think it has since changed its name) in Florida at a small shop that was there (back in 1989) that sold original movie memorabilia for Disney flicks. ALICE IN WONDERLAND was always one of my favorites because it is so nonsensical. The color on the poster is wild, too.

CREEPSHOW:

Although I may have picked up another copy of this a while back (and I know I got the original version with the boy reading the comic book---before Warner Bros bought the film), I know I have had this particular poster since long before I started posting online. This was a fun film, too. Great use of color and a great musical score.

HOUSE OF WAX (1970's re-release):

Although I have the original release poster and the 80's re-release poster, this 70's re-release poster for HOUSE OF WAX is my favorite. This is the poster that was displayed outside of the Country Squire Theatre (no longer in existence) when I went to see it. This film is a fun classic and the 3D in the flick made me a die hard fan of the process and of gimmicks of all time. The fire in 3D made it look as if the chairs right ahead of us were burning (amazing) and the paddle ball sequence was just fantastic. Wow! Wow! Wow! I am ever so glad I got to see this as a kid in proper old school 3D. It was sooooo in-your-face fabulous!

Okay--that is another 10 classics. I need to sign off. And remember, It wasn't airplanes. It was beauty killed the beast.

CHEERS!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket

Neo/Brandon:  It is always a pleasure having you visit. It was Shark Week? Ha! Who knew?

Thank you, good sir.  It's always a pleasure to see your passion for these amazing artworks, flicks, etc.

Shark Week used to always be on the first week of lobster season here in Florida.  Now it's on about a week early.  That's how I remember when it begins.  8)  I'll mention it here next time for the folks here who may be interested.

Another nice set of monsters and what not here.  Quite the intense, dramatic ending, also.  Well done.  clap

guest4955

ALICE IN WONDERLAND ('70's re-release):

'Tis Brillig! I got this poster at the Disney MGM Studios (I think it has since changed its name) in Florida at a small shop that was there (back in 1989) that sold original movie memorabilia for Disney flicks. ALICE IN WONDERLAND was always one of my favorites because it is so nonsensical. The color on the poster is wild, too.

Ha! Yesteryear the APFers used to give me the "Bronx cheer" for simultaneously posting/collecting animated and porn MPs!

But I do like this one!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder

Step right up, boys and girls. It's time for the next edition of the SHOCK-A-RAMA POSTER SHOW!  What will we have on display today? Some good stuff, some lame stuff...and some stuff I don't usually buy (I'm talking non-horror stuff. I'm looking at YOU, Mel. Ha!). Oh my! Dare you venture inside?

But first: MEL...glad you dig the WONDERLAND poster. Thanks!  8)

BRANDON/NEO: Thank you for the note. Shark Week continues with (poster spoiler) THE MEG below, Ha! Glad you enjoyed the last post. Cheers!

Okay it is poster time. Let's go take ourselves a little looky-loo! 

MY BLOODY VALENTINE (3D Remake Final version):

I probably have this already, but was not sure. I know I have the one that plays up the 3D aspect of the film in the poster, with the audience shown being in peril by stuff from the screen coming out. But this one? I just don't know if I have it or not. So.... here it is. I DID see it in 3D at the cinemas. Some of the 3D was okay---but overall, the film just seemed to be an excuse for gore, gore and more gore. Eh... Missed opportunity, I think.

JOHN DIES AT THE END:

I know I saw this flick on Netflix while visiting friends in Oregon a year or so ago--maybe longer? I remember liking it (or did I?), but I do NOT remember the film at all. The poster is...interesting and it is a movie by Don Coscarelli, the director/writer/creator of PHANTASM...so why not?

MEG (Final?):

I got a different MEG poster not long ago.I know that the box office predictions for this are that it will be a BOMB and fail miserably, but I for one am really looking forward to this flick. It looks fun and adventurous. And, hello? It TOOK long enough to get made. I've been hearing about this movie for YEARS. I'll be seeing it in 3D the week it comes out. CHOMP! CHOMP! CHOMP!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEMINI:

I've never seen the movie, but I've tried for a while to get this poster with art by (Jack Davis???  Is that his name?), who did a lot of work for MAD Magazine. (I think this is the right artist.) I'm surprised I have not seen this---since Madeline Kahn is in it. She was so awesome.

THE THRILL OF IT ALL:

I've never heard of this old Doris Day / James Garner romantic comedy. It wasn't too expensive, so I thought, why not? Like other things I've purchased lately, my mind is on future resale---not so much my keeping it. (But then i have to get off of my but and actually SELL the thing. UGH!)

FULL HOUSE (3-sheet) :

No, this is not in the best of conditions and yes, I HATE 3 sheets. So what am I doing with this BORING poster? Hello? It features an early MARILYN MONROE. I got this to hopefully resale down the road. I only paid $36 for it. Too much? I've never seen the flick. Any good?

KISMET:

This is actually in a bit worse shape than FULL HOUSE. I don't usually buy posters in such poor condition, but this one I have heard of---and it stars MARLENE DIETRICH!?! Zowie! Again, this is for possible resale down the road. I shelled out $56 for it. Too much? A bargain? Hmm. It will sit in a box until I decide to do something with it, I suppose...

ALPHA (Advance):

I haven't seen this yet as it has not been released yet. However, the preview was intriguing---the fictional story of man and his "best friend" (a dog) meeting for the first time. This takes place in caveman-ish times, but it looks good and I LOVE dogs, so of course I want to see it. The poster wasn't expensive, so why not?

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (Hammer remake):

Years ago, I bought the military-style version of this poster. Despite the lack of color on that military poster, I was entranced by the stunning artwork of the Phantom, stradling a blazing chandelier that is falling onto the audience. I had never seen Hammer's version of the classic tale at the time and could only imagine how the rest of the film played out. (I've since seen the hammer version and ...eh.) When I came across this color version of the same poster--despite the tiny bit of paper loss in the upper right corner and wrinkle/extra fold at the right center fold, I wanted to make this mine. That old military poster will eventually be sold off (if I ever get around to digging it up and sending it off).

INFERNO (Spanish):

Not the best of Dario Argento's films (it never even received an official release in US theaters!), but still interesting and part of the Three Mothers Trilogy started with SUSPIRIA.  It wasn't expensive, so why not?

Okay, kiddies. That's all for now. Please put your speaker back on the stand before you exit and drive safely. Thanks for visiting and we hope to see you again soon.

CHEERS!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 03:20:23 AM by Monster_A_GoGo »

guest4955

bravo - and many moons ago I had a GF with a moron cat named Kismet, which LOVED to perch on my head while I was sleeping >:D

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder

Greetings!  It is time for another Classic Collection edition of the Shock-A-Rama Poster Show featuring posters I had BEFORE I started posting online. Today, pulled from another closet, is MORE of my framed stuff. Let's take a look:

But first, MEL, I knew you'd have something to say about the non-horror posters I picked up. Ha!

Okay, on to the posters:

BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS:

Planned as an indirect sequel to VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, but mercifully turned in to a sort of parody of Hollywood (Jacqueline Susann sued 20th Century Fox over this pseudo sequel and won posthumously), this is a really weird but fun cult flick---written by (future) movie reviewer Roger Ebert (!) and directed by Russ Meyer (!!). Jaw-dropping in an awesome way. LOVE it!

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE (80s re-release):

Yes, this is one of the re-release posters from the 1980s. (The oldest original I have is DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.) I am okay with the 80's re-release posters as they use the same artwork as the original releases. Sure, i'd love an original---but these will do until I win the lottery. I dig my James Bond and these re-release posters are the only way I could complete my collection.

THUNDERBALL (80's re-release):

This is one of my favorite BOND posters. I saw one in a comic book store in my teens and wanted it desperately---but they wanted too much for it, like $60 or so. Ha! Had I known then what the prices would be today I'd have somehow gotten that poster. Oh well. This 80s re-release fills the void nicely.  I know this is a fan favorite in the series, but I didn't like the movie THUNDERBALL all that much.

A VIEW TO A KILL:

Unless my brain is shorting out, I believe this was the last of the Roger Moore Bond films. It was okay--not great, but not god awful either. I loved Grace Jones as May Day. Christopher Walken was good as the bad guy. Tanya Roberts though... Bad choice. She's had an incredible career and I've never really understood how or why. CHARLIE'S ANGELS, BEASTMASTER, SHEENA, this 007 flick, THAT 70's SHOW and even one of my fave genre flicks TOURIST TRAP. Whatever. Just like Bond on the poster, the aim was off on this one. Oh well. It was Bond and it was enjoyable.

NEW YEAR'S EVIL:

One of the earliest "holiday horrors" in the wake of HALLOWEEN, this flick left a LOT to be desired. Roz (Pinky Tuscadero from HAPPY DAYS) Kelly (this may have been her last gig before she fell off of the planet) and former Universal contract player (and former Mr. Linda Lavin) Kip Niven is the killer (Not a spoiler---you know it is him from the git-go. So much for the whodunnit aspect of suspense). Forgettable---but I dig the poster. I used to hang it in my entryway between Christmas and New Year's. Now it sits in the closet...

DOCTOR BUTCHER (aka ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST):

This poster just screams CHEAP---crappy art, sleazy and sensational verbiage.  It's clearly a grindhouse classic. This 80s zombie flick (which kind of seems to ripoff ZOMBIE, which itself was a knock off of DAWN OF THE DEAD---HA!) is cheesy fun. I had this poster hanging in my bedroom for several years. It lives in the morgue...er, closet now.

THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE and IN THE DEVIL'S GARDEN (combo):

I love this double feature poster and it used to be in my bedroom on the wall. THE DEVIL'S NIGHTMARE is a fun Euro-flick with a succubus. There is NO exorcism in the flick (???), so clearly the ad copy on this was trying to cash in on THE EXORCIST in a big way. The devil figure on the left is not in the movie (although I've seen that same image used on a poster for THE WHO). The devil in the movie is really some skinny, creepy/geeky looking tall bald guy with bad teeth in a black robe (right above the word "Devil's"), but he is hardly in it. I like the movie--it's nothing great, just a fun little old school horror flick with marvelous atmosphere. I've never seen IN THE DEVIL'S GARDEN (aka ASSAULT). From what I read, it sounds like it is a kind of slow and plodding British police procedural with possible horrific elements at the end.But the poster is very cool.

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD:

A zombie classic---the film that introduced "brains" as the zombie food of choice. I was a bit put off by the movie initially because the zombies could talk---but have grown to dig it more and more over time. Followed by 4 sequels. I liked the first sequel, but after that....snore. Great 80s punk zombie art on this jewel.

ABBY:

The blaxploitation take on THE EXORCIST! This flick is kind of hard to find. Warnor Bros threatened to sue for copyright violation. It never did (They DID sue the makers of BEYOND THE DOOR...and LOST), but the studio withdrew the film out of fear they would be sued. Since then it has been tough to track down. But also, it's just not all that good. I was super disappointed when I finally did see it. The poster is kind of fun and look! BLACULA (William Marshall, also the 2nd King of Cartoons on PEE WEE'S PLAYHOUSE) has become THE EXORCIST for this flick. Zowie!

THE EVIL DEAD:

I finally track down my poster for the original EVIL DEAD. I got this (and EVIL DEAD 2) from the same dealer who said he used to work in a theater and was saving the posters to help with his kid's college fund. He should have hung on to them a little longer as I got this (and the other one) for maybe $50 or $60 bucks or so years and years ago---and they are worth far more now. I feel bad for the guy---but glad for me.

And that is it for now. I still have more framed posters in the closests to share---and boxes and boxes to go through. Thanks for joining me. CHEERS!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder

Welcome to another Classic Collection edition of the SHOCK O RAMA POSTER SHOW, where we look at posters that were in my collection before I started sharing them online. Today, I am afraid, we get a little bogged down with BATMAN stuff (Blame my nephew...). But there are fun things before and after all of that. Let's take a look:

THE HOUSE OF EXORCISM:

Mario Bava's "LISA AND THE DEVIL" was found to be unmarketable in the wake of THE EXORCIST. So, someone went back, shot scenes of Elke Sommer being possessed and added in a priest, spliced it altogether, and voila! You get HOUSE OF EXORCISM.  Most of what was LISA AND THE DEVIL remains--and it is Euro-intriguing. The exorcism at the end necessitated the original "shock" ending...but you get the gist of it without that ending. Telly Savalas sucks on lollipops---just as he did in KOJACK. Ha!

BATMAN FOREVER (BATMAN):

My nephew was once into BATMAN in a big way. This was long before the recent series (with Christian Bale). Anyway, my mother asked me to get some BATMAN posters (and frames for them) from some of the BATMAN films to decorate his room. I got seven of them. When he outgrew them, I "saved them". (His mother was going to sell them in a garage sale for $1 each---hello? The frames alone are worth more than that!) Eventually I will get around to swapping them out for other posters. For now they sit in my closet.

BATMAN FOREVER (ROBIN):

Another of my nephew's old BATMAN posters.

BATMAN FOREVER (RIDDLER):

And another BATMAN poster from the depths of my closet...

BATMAN FOREVER (TWO-FACE):

Yet another BATMAN poster that needs to have something else put in its frame...

BATMAN FOREVER (DR. CHASE MERIDIAN):

I don't know what my nephew thought of this poster. WHO is Chase Meridian (other than the love interest for that particular film?).

BATMAN AND ROBIN (VILLAINS):

Huh? Oh that's right. There WAS a third villain besides Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze. But who he was (totally downplayed....guess they couldn't get a big enough star to play him?), I do not recall.

BATMAN AND ROBIN (HEROES):

This was the one with George Clooney as Batman, right? Alicia Silverstone was off unemployment for a while doing her Batgirl gig (Has she had a job since then?). Is Chris O'Donnell still around?

CARNIVOROUS / RAW MEAT (combo):

Ooooo. I do remember when this combo came to town. it only played at one drive in...and o' I soooo wanted to see it. The ad copy screamed "Secretly filmed--absolutely authentic scenes of cannibalism as practiced today! Filmed by hidden cameras." Zowie! How hideously horrifying it all sounded. Years later when I finally tracked this down, I discovered that it was actually a re-titling of JUNGLE HOLOCAUST from 1977. But I love this poster. Just wish it was more colorful.

SLAVE OF THE CANNIBAL GOD:

This is a stunning poster. I really appreciate the artwork. As a cannibal movie---it's okay. Ursula Andress and Stacy Keach must have really been hard up for cash to agree to star in this grindhouse epic. But the poster is just gorgeous!

That is all for this time. NOT the best selection---but at least I got those Batman posters out of the way. Ha! Thanks for visiting.

Cheers!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Monster, I'm speechless, and then I started talking oddly when my heart stopped beating.  I'm overwhelmed by your machine gun posts and I can't get up.....  Er, catch up...
  Okie

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Slave of The Cannibal God... I really appreciate the artwork too  thumbsup.gif  Well done
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:59:04 AM by 50s »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Some nice stuff there, particularly Inferno, Evil Dead and Slave of The Cannibal God.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder

Zowie! Welcome back. You are just in time for another edition of the Classic Collection here at the Shock-O-Rama poster Show. Yes, it's more of the posters I've had since BEFORE I started sharing online. I do have to apologize for the awful photos. I am no photographer---which is why I USUALLY use photos from the auctions I win. Oh well.

Before we get to the posters, though...let's say hello to my recent visitors:

OAKIE: The reason for the rapid posts of late is because, instead of waiting for 10 new purchases to post, I've decided to post my collection from BEFORE I started sharing it online. I had literally hundreds (thousands, really) before i ever started sharing on the internet. There are LOTS left to share---TONS!

STEVE/50s: You LIVE!!!  You seemed to have fallen off of the Earth for a while. Great to see you here again. I'm glad you liked the poster. Ursula Andress... She was in her early 40s when she made that film.

THIERRY/EATBRIE: Zowie! What an unexpected surprise to see you here. Glad there was a few things in my postings that you found interesting.

Now let's see what I have in store for you today:

THE CORPSE GRINDERS:

I do believe that this (or maybe either release of ASTRO ZOMBIES) is the best poster for a Ted V. Mikels movie.  Golly, if this poster didn't make you want to rush out and see this schlock fest, nothing would. You've got to love the terrified girl being pushed, legs first, into a horrifying-looking machine with the promised of "Bone-Crushing Terror! Sine-Tingling Chills" and "turns bones and flesh into screaming, savage blood death!" So---it may be an exaggeration. The people put into the very cardboard-looking machine are already dead (So no terrified, screaming victims as depicted) and, instead of turning them into screaming, savage blood death, they are turned into... cat food. Really. Me-OWWW! But what a poster!

ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE ('80's re-release):

Of the early James Bond flicks, this is probably my favorite---even though it features (in my opinion)  the weakest actor portraying Bond. Diana Rigg was absolutely enchanting in this. Blofeld's hideout in the Alps, with the aerial tram to and from, was interesting and made for great snow action---like the bobsled run.

VIVA JAMES BOND (Film Festival poster):

This is an unused (?) poster for a James Bond film festival that was held at some point. The empty square beneath "Bond" was where the title of whatever film(s) was/were playing would be filled in with a snipe or hand written in. I prefer my copy, which leaves the box unmarred. Very cool.

BLOOD AND LACE:

I've never seen this flick, but what a jaw-droppingly horrifying/gruesome poster for a film rated "GP" (the precursor to the "PG" rating). "Shock after shock after shock" as the giant, bloody hammer comes crashing down on the screaming girl's head. EEEK! I used to have this hanging in my bedroom once upon a time. Now it sits in my closet...

VALLEY OF THE DOLLS:

This is a guilty pleasure of mine. It's the unintentional camp classic VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. Sure, it's boring as hell, but I LOVE this movie. The poster could have been better (MUCH better), but it is what it is, and I am thrilled to have one. "Sure, I take dolls. Gotta get some sleep, don't I?, so I can get up in the morning and 'Sparkle, Neely. Sparkle!'" HA!

THE HINDENBURG:

During the 70's disaster era, I found it very difficult to get my mom to take me to see any of the disaster movies. For "THE TOWERING INFERNO," my babysitter took me and my little brother (one walked, two of us had bikes and we traded off) to  see it---miles and MILES from the house. "EARTHQUAKE" I didn't get to see initially...but eventually caught it as a co-feature with "THE GREAT WALDO PEPPER". "The Poseidon Adventure" and most of the "Airport" movies I had to catch on TV. NOT fair when you are a movie-obsessed (specifically disaster movies) pre-teen. The one movie i did get my mother to take us to was THE HINDENBURG. SNORE! It was interesting to look at---getting a glimpse of what dirigible travel must have been like---but utterly boring, with the only excitement at the very end of the movie (Duh!). But the poster? WOW! It totally captures the tragedy.

STRAIT-JACKET:

William Castle was one of my movie heroes from the 50's and early 60's. He was the king of the gimmicks---and, as I've said numerous times, I am a sucker for a gimmick. STRAIT-JACKET was pretty much one of the few gimmick-free horror flicks he produced in this era---although the poster does shout that the film "vividly depicts ax murders" and I heard small cardboard axes were given to theater goers---but have never seen any to back that up. Joan Crawford stars and the results are a camp classic of 50s horror. This copy is framed, but is missing a bit o' paper at the crossfold on Joan's cheek. Somewhere I have another/better copy to replace this one with eventually.

FLESH GORDON:

Back in the day when I walked into a long-gone comic book store back in the 1970s and first saw movie posters for sale, I was hooked instantly. Of the posters on display (including LOGAN'S RUN and CARRIE---both purchased there and the original STAR WARS, which I bypassed....and could kick myself for now as it was only $25 back then), the poster for FLESH GORDON was also on display. I never got it back then (How does an 11-year-old explain to his mother that he wants the poster for an x-rated sci-fi porno parody?), but remember being so entranced by the cool artwork. YEARS later I scored this copy on eBay. I am still surprised at how cheap you can find this poster at times. In my opinion, it is just stunning and worth so much more than it seems to be. (And this photo does NOT do it justice).

DAWN OF THE DEAD:

I got this on eBay back in 2005 or so, not long after moving into my house and I started hanging movie posters on my walls for the first time since I had been in high school back in the 1980s. This was a "must have" poster that I remember battling it out for the night it closed. (I've since picked up another copy that went way too cheap.)  I've told this story before, but when I was a kid, I loved the movies. Getting to see horror movies though was a rare occurrence. By the time I was 12 or 13, I would convince my grandmother to take me to see these horror flicks. That's how i got to see the original "Halloween" in theaters, among other things. My poor grandma---the horrors I put her through. Anyway, when I was in 8th grade in 1979 (all of 14 years old), DAWN OF THE DEAD came out. It was unrated, but the blurb on the poster reads that NO ONE UNDER 17 WILL BE ADMITTED. Fortunately, the theater showing it interpreted that to mean it was the same as an R rating (instead of what would be an NC 17 today). I got my grandmother to take me to see it (it was playing with another film called "THE DARK"). DAWN OF THE DEAD is a grisly, gross mess-terpiece. My grandmother couldn't take it and went out to sit in the lobby for the rest of the movie. But WOW! What a great experience seeing this as a kid. It is a classic after all. My grandmother was awesome taking me to this and so many others flicks like it.

SUSPIRIA:

I got this poster the same night I got my first copy of DAWN OF THE DEAD on eBay. As I recall, there were several posters being sold off from an obvious horor film collector. I do not recall what others were up for grabs, but I was eyeing several...and was preparing to pounce at the auction's end.  There was another bidder after these. This was years ago, back in the day when you could look up and see who you were bidding against and contact them. The other bidder who was hot for the same titles I was struck up a deal. He was going to bid on two of the posters we both wanted without my bidding against him and I could bid on DAWN OF THE DEAD and SUSPIRIA without interference from him. It worked out for both of us (I wish I remembered what it was he was going for---and i wish I had stayed in contact with the guy), but I was THRILLED to have landed my DAWN poster...and especially this SUSPIRIA, which is a poster you almost NEVER see. And what a great film it is, too.

And that's all for this installment. Stay tuned. There are HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of "classic collection" posters left to go-go.

CHEERS!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder

Welcome back to another Classic Collection posting, featuring posters I had before I started posting them online. Here are ten more for your perusal. Nothing too fabulous necessarily (and my photography is TERRIBLE), but stuff I have.

VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (Fake? Benton Window Card):

I don't usually buy/like window cards. I got this (and I think I have another for KING KONG purchased at/around the same time) early on from eBay just for the title (One of my all-time favorite bad movies). It was only after getting it that I found out that there were FAKES floating around. It had never occurred to me that anyone would want to bother making fake movie posters (or--gasp!--want to bother running off fake window cards), but based on the amount the seller had and the fabulous condition, I am sure it is a fake--despite his denials at the time. Whatever. This got framed---and I really have nothing to replace it with (except, perhaps, that fake KONG), so it stayed in the frame...

EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC:

Yes, I bothered to frame this notoriously awful sequel poster (but this was before BOTH Part 4s stole the crown). I actually (gasp!) LIKED it---because it was awful. Actually Part 2 was the first one I ever got to see. It was on HBO one summer when I was visiting my father. I actually (much later in life) read the "making of" book (they had envisioned such a grand, amazing classic---and look how it failed) and remember the whole rush to tack on a new ending when the film hit an iceberg at the box office and sank faster than the Titanic in a valiant effort to try to save the film. Ha!

MACABRE:

I LOVE the gimmick films of William Castle from the 1950s and 60s. Even though the films were usually fairly pedestrian in their quaint, low budget way, the gimmicks added a (cheap but effective) extra added dimension to the films. This one, MACABRE, is rather snore-inducing. However, it was the first of Castle's gimmick horrors. This one featured "Death by Fright" insurance policies for every theater-going patron. Zowie!  No one collected, though...too bad there wasn't also insurance for "Death By Boredom" as well. Ha! Great art, though.

MR. SARDONICUS:

Here is another great William Castle gimmick film, MR. SARDONICUS.  This time, the gimmick is explained using about half of the poster to do so. Essentially, theater goers were given glow-in-the-dark "Punishment Poll" cards. The cards could be held either showing a "Thumbs Up" or a Thumbs Down" depending on what the audience member thought the fate of the title character should be. During a moment towards the end, the action in the movie stops as Mr. Castle appears and asks for audiences to vote. He then tallies the votes up. Thumbs up or thumbs down--mercy or no mercy?...and the action resumes. It sounds like there should be two possible endings....but hello? You know what everyone will vote---thumbs down. So only one ending was ever filmed. Such a scam....GREAT gimmick, though.

HOMICIDAL:

William Castle strikes again!  William Castle's actual films often leave a LOT to be desired. HOMICIDAL is no different. It's rather slow and pedestrian and not much happens. Ho hum. Before the film ends though, there is a FRIGHT BREAK wherein audience members had a chance to get their tickets refunded. I can see many wanting to take this offer up---as the film is a yawner. However, Castle wanted to ensure that no one went for a refund. During the fright break, those that were too bored, er...TOO SCARED had to walk to the very visible, labeled in large letters "Coward's Corner". To get to the Coward's Corner, the person had to walk on a specific path that had a big yellow line down the middle of it. There, they had to sit--the cowards--through the end of the movie, fully on display for the rest of the crown to see and laugh at ("Look at the 'fraidy cat") before getting their refund. NOT many wanted to endure that humiliation, so very few refunds were given.

The 7 DWARFS TO THE RESCUE:

I had never heard of this movie when I came across it on eBay YEARS ago. It looks like some live-action foreign flick sequel to SNOW WHITE that was imported here for the kiddie matinee crowd. O' the horror. I'm sure it is just awful and all of the children who were forced into seeing it have blocked it from their memories... EEEK! I dig my Kiddie Matinee posters---and Childhood Productions (which this poster is from) had the best posters. I'd love to see it. It must be a complete disaster. Should be good for a few laughs. And is one of the dwarfs in drag? Ha! Who knew?

RETURN TO OZ:

I'm always interested in a new OZ movie. I remember there being a tremendous amount of publicity over this film's release...and the backlash it received from those saying the flick was too scary for children (I'm thinking the electroshock machine scenes?) and the spectacular flop it became. I liked it well enough. Sure--it wasn't the classic WIZARD OF OZ, but pulling off another one of those will never happen. I thought this was a good attempt. It has since kind of become a cult hit, but Disney has still kind of distanced itself from it. Too bad.

SAVAGE WEEKEND:

I think I have picked up another copy (or two?) of this along the way. The movie is lame (I finally saw it not long back), but I've always dug the poster. I used to have it hanging in my guest room, to make my guests feel welcome---NOT! Ha!  Now it's in the back of the closet...

DR. TARR'S TORTURE DUNGEON:

Inspired by a story by Edgar Allan Poe, but (to me) a dull and tedious production that is not nearly as colorful and interesting as the poster makes it out to be (and I do apologize I'm not a better photographer---this poster looks so much better in real life).

DAY OF THE DEAD:

The last of the original Dead trilogy started with NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (director/writer George Romero would go on to add LAND, DIARY and SURVIVAL OF THE DEAD to the series) was not nearly as good as its predecessors, but still interesting and intriguing in its own right.  This poster does not come up that often---so I am glad I got it back in the day when I did.

Okay---and that is today's presentation. Thanks for stopping in. I hope to see you back very soon.

CHEERS!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
I should have bought those 80s Bond re-releases.  10-12 years ago, a co worker at Amblin' offered them all to me for $50 (that's right, $50 for all of them) along with a bunch of Amblin' releases (a few Back to the Future, Goonies, etc for dirt cheap) and I said no because I didn't collect re-releases.  Idiot!!!  I took all the Amblin' stuff though ;)  BttF was $10, rolled, mint.  I will always remember, we were sitting on the Forrest Gump bench outside the studio.  Ha, memories!!!

Good stuff, GoGo.

T
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 08:24:06 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder

Greetings! It's another visit to the Classic Collection, posters I had BEFORE I started posting online. Let's take a look at the current batch and see what I've got this time:

Thierry:  Too bad you didn't get those Bond posters. That was a good deal, as even those reprints are worth $$$ these days. The BACK TO THE FUTURE was a steal. BRAVO! Thanks for sharing.

And now, today's offering...

GHOST DIVER:

I had never heard of this (and still haven't tracked the movie down) until running across the poster. Something rare (?) from the 50s? Sold!  This is the poster that called my attention to an actress I had alsop never heard of (and who I have since nicknamed "Tatter"), Audrey "Tatter" Totter. Tatter Totter has been in quite a few things, it seems, including the 3D noir "MAN IN THE DARK"! Anyone ever see this flick?

WICKED, WICKED:

Gimmick alert! This film boasted a new movie-going gimmick (that has never been duplicated) called DUO-VISION, which was an experiment in using a split screen. I saw this on a bootleg DVD and, well... Eh. It's a thriller, but not very thrilling, where you have two points of view (almost) continuously--one the killer, one the victim. Oh well. i'm a sucker for a gimmick, so of course the poster was purchased.

GHOST IN THE INVISIBLE BIKINI:

The last of the Frankie & Annette Beach Party movies---and Frankie and Annette are no where to be seen! However, the rest of the Beach Party gang is on hand, along with newcomer Nancy Sinatra (!). Horror "has beens" (as they were seen back then...such a shame) Boris Karloff and Basil Rathbone add some supernatural shenanigans to the mix, along with Susan Hart, who dons the "invisible bikini" (a blue screen bikini, so she appears not to have boobs or a crotch at all! EEK!). Harmless fun. Geronimo!

THE LAST DAYS OF POMPEII / SHE (re-release combo):

I love this poster and was so delighted to win it for very little money and even less competition. Sure, it's only a re-release poster for two flicks from 1935...but the poster for this is from 1948. That was 70 years ago. I'm shocked no one else tried to snag it up. As a bonus, with any luck, I will be visiting the ruins of Pompeii next spring. Whoo hoo!

THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT:

This Edgar Rice Burroughs dino flick made a good enough amount o' cash to inspire the production of AT THE EARTH'S CORE and the sequel to this one, THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT. All starred Doug McClure. PEOPLE didn't do so well, so there were no more made (leaving the TIME trilogy incomplete without OUT OF TIME'S ABYSS unfilmed). Oh well. The JURASSIC PARK series is way better anyway.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN:

Roger Moore's second outing as 007 was serviceable, if not small scale (for a Bond film, especially for what they have become). Herve Villachaize and Christopher "Dracula" Lee are also on hand. Maude Adams shows up and gets killed off...but would be back as OCTOPUSSY a few years later. This was the first James Bond I saw KNOWING I was watching a James Bond flick. Previously I had seen GOLDFINGER at a drive in with my parents, but I had been so young I didn't really know what was going on (I thought they were stealing the gold from the White House...who knew what Fort Knox was?)

PANORAMA BLUE:

No, I've never seen this adult flick. The attraction was, of course, the gimmick. Clearly a take off of CINERAMA---this was "Filmed in 70 MM Super Widescreen Panoramascope with 4 track stereo sound" Zowie!

ROLLERCOASTER (Sensurround style):

Yes, SENSURROUND was the attraction to this poster. I DID see this flick in SENSURROUND (with MIDWAY, also in SENSURROUND). ROLLERCOASTER is actually a nifty little thriller. It's kind of funny to see Magic Mountain in 1976 with the opening of the newest, most amazing coaster in the world that actually makes an upside down loop, The Revolution---which has since been dwarfed and minimalized by other coasters in the same park. The destruction of the coaster at the old Ocean View Park at the beginning is a shocker.

GOLDFINGER (80's re-release):

This is the very first James Bond movie I ever saw...in fact, I believe this is the first movie I ever saw period. I was a toddler when I saw this with my parents at the Winchester Drive In in San Jose, California. Even though I didn't know what was going on and didn't even know it was a James Bond film at that age---and it took me YEARS to figure out what movie this had been--I have clearly been a Bond fan for life.

THE ADVENTURES OF BULLWHIP GRIFFIN:

Two careers ago, before I was a nurse or wrote for the newspaper, I was a teacher. I mostly taught fourth grade--which was a GREAT grade. In social studies, we did California history including the Gold Rush. During the the gold rush lessons, we would read a book called "By The Great Horn Spoon" or something like that. The kids liked the book a lot. I eventually became aware that Disney had made a movie version of the book, and this, THE ADVENTURES OF BULLWHIP GRIFFIN, was it. While it follows the basic storyline of the book, the movie strays far and wide from the source material. I got the poster to hang in the classroom the next time I taught the gold rush lesson---but never taught 4th grade again.

Zowie! And that's another batch o' posters. Okay. Thanks for visiting. I hope to see you again soon.

CHEERS!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder

Greetings, and welcome to another Classic Collection posting of posters I had BEFORE I started posting online. Today we have the last (??) of my framed posters and several loose posters that have had their frames swapped out recently for something else to be on my walls.

Okay--enough dilly-dallying. Let's take a look:

LOGAN'S RUN:

This is the poster that started it off for me. (Well, NOT this particular copy...but you know what I mean). It's been a favorite ever since. I had it hanging on my walls (or ceiling) all through high school and after. It was up in my hallway when I started hanging posters on the walls as an adult. Today---uh, I don't have it up, opting to go with vintage horror all over instead. But it hangs in my heart. (Ahhh...)

VALLEY OF THE DOLLS/BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (combo re-release):

Wow---what a cool combo...but also what an odd combo. I love both of these cult films for different reasons. Pairing them together may seem like a natural because of their titles, but the films are polar opposites content-wise. The audience for BEYOND would be bored to tears by VALLEY and the audience for VALLEY would be shocked by BEYOND. Ha! Oh well. I dig 'em both and am thrilled to have this poster-a-go-go!

LEATHERFACE: THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE III:

Not the best sequel---and severely edited upon release, so I read---but what you gonna do? It's still a TCM movie. I got this signed (hard to see---and I should have gotten a close-up of the signature to add to this) right above the word "Leatherface" by Leatherface himself (at least for this flick), R.A. Mihailoff. One Halloween season, he and George Wilbur (Michael Myers from HALLOWEEN 4 & 6) were appearing at these Halloween stores. I had them both sign posters. Mihailoff's signature I liked on the poster. Wilbur's on a "Halloween 4" one sheet, I did NOT like. I thought it ruined the poster---so I sold it off and got another, unsigned copy. This film also stars unsung horror star William Butler. Butler has come up against Leatherface, Jason ("Friday the 13th Part 6"), zombies ("The Night of the Living Dead" remake from 1990), Freddy Krueger (on the "Freddy's Nightmares" TV series). He just needs an encounter with Michael Myers to round out his resume. On the B-movie scale, he was in "Ghoulies 2" and wrote "Return of the Living Dead 4 & 5 and the "Gingerdead Man" series.

THE EXORCIST:

This poster needs no introduction...  I will say that, with the exception of  seeing parts of this out of the back window of our blue Ford Pinto at a drive in, I did not see THE EXORCIST until I was about 15 or so at a double feature with THE SHINING. Classic horror--Deserving of its reputation. As an aside, in regards to the novel's cover photo (see below), for years and years  and YEARS I could not make out what it was. In my eyes, all I could make out was some sort of demonic figure--like a little  warped Kewpie doll, with arms and a torso. It was not until 10 or 15 years ago, after reading an interview with William Peter Blatty who stated that they used a photo of his daughter that somehow did not come out right for the cover was I  able to actually (finally) see the face/girl in the picture. Now it is almost impossible for me to see the eerie figure I once saw.

ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES:

For years, I hated this movie. While BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES is complete crap, this one bothered me endlessly. The idea of the Apes being in early 70s Los Angeles seemed asinine to me---not I've grown to appreciate it and how the baby brings the story full circle. The ending, though, was sad. The films tramped on for two more flicks. CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES was okay---but really restrained feeling and "small". I wish there had been more story about what happened between CONQUEST and BATTLE. Oh well.

CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES:

This was one of my earliest poster and the very first poster of the PLANET OF THE APES series I ever had---not because it was my favorite (it wasn't), but because it was the one I came across first.

GO APE! ("Planet of the Apes" series marathon):

This is surprisingly hard to get---at least it was for me. The similar poster promoting the TV series was everywhere. I wish I had gotten it---because now it is hard to get. UGH!  Cool and clever poster. I remember when this happened. I wanted to go so badly....but didn't get to. I never saw any of the original APES films in the theaters. Oh well.

BARRACUDA:

Another forgettable JAWS knockoff. I did see this in the theaters---and scrambled to buy it on DVD when it came out (if anything, time had NOT been kind). Love my JAWS knockoffs. Ha! The star Wayne Crawford is probably best remembered for JAKE SPEED (anyone?), which was fairly forgettable in its own way. Crawford co-directed this with Harry Kerwin, whose brother, William Kerwin plays the sheriff. William Kerwin was the star of many of HG Lewis' horror flicks, like BLOOD FEAST and 2000 MANIACS. He was even married to BLOOD FEAST's leading lady CONNIE MASON ("You've read about her in Playboy") until his death. Blah blah blah...I've found the trailer link. It is . You can see it is a mess of a movie.

HERCULES / HERCULES UNCHAINED (combo re-release):

This was my first HERCULES / peplum/sword and sandal poster---and what a great poster---a double feature for HERCULES and HERCULES UNCHAINED starring STEVE REEVES ---the films that started the whole toga party in the first place.

WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY:

I'm sorry, but the original; WILLY WONKA is way better than the Tim Burton remake thang. I am super glad to have this poster (I believe I have another as well). This film, for its time, was brilliant. I can not believe it was shunned by author Roald Dahl and that it wasn't a bigger hit. I saw it in its original release and caught it a couple of times at matinees before it went to TV. It's a great movie. It's scrumdidilyumptious!

And that is all for now. Thank you for visiting. Please feel free to come back and visit any time.

CHEERS!