Author Topic: Introducing Poster Nirvana  (Read 7184 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Introducing Poster Nirvana
« on: July 06, 2010, 07:28:19 PM »
If you've got the time, please check out the "first draft" of my new website - Poster Nirvana - and give me feedback.  (I particularly need Internet Explorer users to review it- the galleries may not be working properly in IE.)

I've created 50+ galleries of my own 800+ posters sorted by genre, decade, country, sub-genres (e.g. artistic posters, international one sheets, commercial posters), etc. and several galleries of posters I don't own, plus a small authentication section.  I created it in Apple's iWeb, so it has great visual appeal, although I still prefer Dreamweaver.  

So whatcha think?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Introducing Poster Nirvana
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:48:05 PM »
Mel, I just browsed through it quickly on I.E. 7 and I did not encounter any problems.

Wanted to say I like the layout (it's easy on the eyes).

I am particularly looking forward to the "Beyond My Collection" section...
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 11:05:28 PM »

I am particularly looking forward to the "Beyond My Collection" section...

Glad you picked up on that. I'll be putting together lots of fun collections - surfing posters, 3-d posters, "unicorns," "tricked-out" posters, recalled posters, etc.   Happy to take suggestions as well....

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 12:06:13 AM »
Good job Mel. The layout looks nice.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 03:00:28 AM »
Excellent site, Mel no problems on IE 8 either,one thing i spotted is you need to correct this header

THE VERY US BEST MODERN POSTERS (1960-PRESENT)

Stew (the pedantic Scot)  ;)

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 05:20:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure you must win the award for fastest accumulation of a poster collection! 1 year and 3 months to get to 900 posters.

The site looks excellent :)
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 09:36:29 AM »
Really, really nice!

Just please leave room for LOTS more pages and posters. You have the mark of a "lifer" about you (and I have seen LOTS of collectors come and go, so I think I am an authority on this subject!).

Bruce

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »
I'm pretty sure you must win the award for fastest accumulation of a poster collection! 1 year and 3 months to get to 900 posters.

The site looks excellent :)

The site does look great.

900 posters already?...Not to mention all those frames. You sure you arent one of those trust fund babies that you mention  ;)?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 01:33:38 PM »
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, guys.  Hopefully, this site will inspire y'all to build some websites to display your collections - and many of you have better collections than mine.  It's ridiculously easy to build with iWeb - no HTML training required - and the galleries are automatically created.  The hard work is downloading, titling and keywording the pictures in iPhoto or equivalent (Adobe Bridge).

As far as the future, I'd love to get 900 more posters but I've already spent $26,000 in 15 months (including $6,000 in frames) and I don't have the space or financial deep pockets to frame, display, and store many more posters. I wish I could go back in time and concentrate on higher quality posters, especially vintage and international posters, rather than accumulating a high quantity, broad-based "hyper-modern" US collection but what's done is done.  Of course, I'll still buy some more posters for certain collections, particularly Japan B1s and B2s and Alamo, but my goal is to have a moderate monthly poster budget, enjoy what I already have, and tinker with my lil' website.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:58:41 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 02:24:11 PM »
Mel, why don't you try and sell off some of what you don't want any more?

This will probably take a while (unless you consign them all) but it would clear out some space.

Those monetary figures you posted is very candid - I am sure there are many who have and do spend more but even your figures are far behind my modest abilities!

But your basic point is certainly well founded - quality over quantity.
Chris

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 03:17:14 PM »
I wish I could go back in time and concentrate on higher quality posters, especially vintage and international posters, rather than accumulating a high quantity, broad-based "hyper-modern" US collection but what's done is done.

I have felt the same way, but then I realized that if I hadn't taken the progression that I had in collecting, I might not still be in the game. Plus I've enjoyed my journey as much as my prized pieces.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 05:52:05 PM »
Quote from: Dread_Pirate_Mel on Today at 12:33:38 PM
I wish I could go back in time and concentrate on higher quality posters, especially vintage and international posters, rather than accumulating a high quantity, broad-based "hyper-modern" US collection but what's done is done.

I have felt the same way, but then I realized that if I hadn't taken the progression that I had in collecting, I might not still be in the game. Plus I've enjoyed my journey as much as my prized pieces.

Yes, because it's all about the art, right?

It's funny how often 'buy what you like' becomes 'buy what everyone else likes'...

As for the site, I think that it's a bit disingenuous to have an authentication section for a poster that you don't even own (have never seen in person?).  Also, if you are going to mix real posters with commercial posters of different varieties, then I'd highly recommend that you clearly denote the difference for any noobs who pass by.  Not doing so is irresponsible.

Layout looks good, but, for as big a Lebowski fan as you seem to be, I am surprised that you cut the Dude in half on your logo.  He would not abide.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »

Same here. I have enjoyed the journey. I have maybe 30- 40 posters many would use to light their bbqs with...but hey I like em and you gotta start some where. I started just trying to put something up on some bare walls and now here I am blowing money every week on this stuff. Cant go back.

Cant go back. Can only go forward.

your basic point is certainly well founded - quality over quantity.

Im trying really hard to do just that. Just buy the better stuff. Stay away from "crap" but I keep slipping and buying stuff in bunches just cause I like it.

Mel the site is VERY COOL!

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 11:57:25 PM »
Really, really nice!

Just please leave room for LOTS more pages and posters. You have the mark of a "lifer" about you (and I have seen LOTS of collectors come and go, so I think I am an authority on this subject!).

Bruce

He does, doesn't he?  I said nearly the same thing earlier today. I wish I had the same focus that Mel has so early on in the collecting career.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 08:56:50 PM »
Excellent work, Mel.  Your dedication is admirable, and you will surely be a household name and a legend.  I have a feeling that someday your zany home framed collection will look something like this  :D.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 09:54:32 PM »
Excellent work, Mel.  Your dedication is admirable, and you will surely be a household name and a legend.  I have a feeling that someday your zany home framed collection will look something like this  :D.

Wow! Where's that from?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 10:04:23 PM »
Wow! Where's that from?

ebaumsworld.com  They have some awesome WTF pics on M.M.R - Monday Morning Randomness, F.A.P. - Farout Asian Pictorial, F.U.C.K. - Friday Unearthly Cleavage Knockout, and Caturday.   :D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 10:25:26 PM »
ebaumsworld.com - wow!  now there's a site I have not seen referenced in years...

Used to enjoy their GI JOE PSA videos quite a bit in the days before youtube.
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 10:42:13 AM »
Excellent work, Mel.  Your dedication is admirable, and you will surely be a household name and a legend.  I have a feeling that someday your zany home framed collection will look something like this  :D.

Like kudzu, it all started out with rational and moderate intentions.  Then it got out of all out-of-control and wacky. But the ceilings, floors, furniture, and doors are off limits.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 11:10:36 AM »
As for the site, I think that it's a bit disingenuous to have an authentication section for a poster that you don't even own (have never seen in person?).

Fair point, although not very tactful, as usual, Archie.  Unfortunately, Movieposterauthenticating hasn't been updated in two years - where are you Jeannie? - and authentications are scattered all over the Internet.  My goal is to do a few of my own authentications (E.T., Saving Private Ryan, Grindhouse, etc). and summarize/highlight other authentications within the bounds of fair use and without copying or plagiarizing them or using their images.  Of course, I'll link and give full credit to any authentications I use as a source.  The goal is to disseminate this knowledge and has nothing to do with ego.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 12:07:35 PM »
Mel your authentication posts have all been greatly appreciated in the past and will be in the future. At least by one guy I know  :)

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 01:11:30 PM »
Fair point, although not very tactful, as usual, Archie.  Unfortunately, Movieposterauthenticating hasn't been updated in two years - where are you Jeannie?

Jeannie is in the process of moving for her new job.  She's been without internet access and will continue to be for about another week or so.  On top of that, she's still without a working computer.  Once she gets settled into her new digs, I'm sure things will eventually get back to normal