Author Topic: April 2015  (Read 44178 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: April 2015
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2015, 03:06:55 PM »
Very interesting, Matt.  Really shows that there is a lot of history behind some pieces.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2015, 03:18:06 PM »
I'm pretty stoked about this one that just arrived.  Video poster for Motorama (1991).

It's a fairly obscure movie, but it's a trip. wynk  I agree with the first paragraph of this review:

Motorama is one of those movies that got lost amidst the tides of time. Many films pass unnoticed upon first release and remain so for many years, but they’re eventually rediscovered, at least to some extent. Others, however, seem like they’re destined to oblivion like Motorama. It’s like a curse or something. You know this is particularly true when its Wikipedia article is a stub. Very few people know about it, yet those who did watch the movie will be hardly able to erase it from their memories and still discuss it to this day. I saw it as a youngster myself and it has stuck with me ever since.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:19:59 PM by Neo »

Mirosae

« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2015, 03:23:17 PM »
Thats some poster with attitude  :) Congrats Brandon thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:24:01 PM by Mirosae »

Mirosae

« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2015, 03:29:48 PM »
Here is the (heartbreaking) Polish poster and the blurb I wrote up for my Eastern European exhibit a while back....

Do you own this poster? It is really quite something. Thanks for sharing this info. We went to the premier with  Q&A at the BFI in London of the restored 1945 documentary  German Concentration Camps Factual Survey -That was hard to watch and I am still recovering from it. I cannot imagine- I do not want to imagine- what these people went through. Will check that film..though I need to recover first..

I really think that poster is very moving, thanks again for sharing :)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »
Do you own this poster? It is really quite something. Thanks for sharing this info. We went to the premier with  Q&A at the BFI in London of the restored 1945 documentary  German Concentration Camps Factual Survey -That was hard to watch and I am still recovering from it. I cannot imagine- I do not want to imagine- what these people went through. Will check that film..though I need to recover first..

I really think that poster is very moving, thanks again for sharing :)

Yes, that is my R58 copy I got from eMovie a few years back. 

Here is a link to the film if you happen to speak Polish :) 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/C73iyAUEFyU

I have an old VHS and there is a DVD w/English subs available out of Poland as well. 

Mirosae

« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2015, 04:59:42 PM »
Thanks Matt. Very helpful  :)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2015, 09:36:45 PM »
Have not been posting much of my recent buys but wanted to share this one as it is the end of a journey in a way, a unicorn found.

I started collecting posters around 25 years ago with one of my favorite films, Star Wars getting my first one as part of a comic book collection I bought. One of the earlier buys after that and the one that made me fall in love with big paper of all sizes was the Star Wars three sheet. I was so impressed with it that I decided that I wanted to have a set of all three back then to one day display side by side. A short time later I heard that they never made a Jedi three sheet and my hopes died there. A few years later I found out while researching Star Wars posters that there actually was one made but they were one of the rarest of all the Star Wars posters for any size. This turned out to be true as I only know of a handful, in single digits, of copies that survive and even less that the owners have parted with. I searched and searched and could not find one for sale. When they did come up for sale I was always the brides maid and never the bride almost always being the under bidder to someone with deeper pockets, a day too late to hear about it or as in the case of the one and only time Ha sold one, it went for peanuts for some reason, it was one of the only HA auctions that I missed in years.

Well the hunt is over as of today a copy has arrived and is the completion a search that has spanned decades, countries and continents. Finally I now I have a reason to frame them up. Since this search is over, guess I will go back to the hunt for a set of 24 sheets.  ;D

Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2015, 09:43:33 PM »
Congrats, Mike. This is what collecting, searching a researching is all about.   clap clap clap

Good things come to those who wait, and have the patience to follow it thru. It looks to be in fantastic shape, too, and all the better.

With the set complete, I think the 24sh hunt is a great next goal! (lol)

Well done, Mike, well done!!

:D

Question: why would this particular style, have been printed in so fewer numbers? It certainly is as eye catching as the other 2- so why not have it available to theaters (if wanted) in the same kinds of numbers printed as the others?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:46:51 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2015, 09:46:22 PM »
Nice.  And all folded!!!  No linenbacking shit.   clap 

I'm jealous.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2015, 10:01:40 PM »
Very cool, Mike.  Congratulations.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2015, 10:05:28 PM »
Thats some poster with attitude  :) Congrats Brandon thumbsup.gif

Thanks.  Yeah, Gus is a gnarly dude.  8)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:06:27 PM by Neo »

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2015, 10:30:51 PM »
Congrats, Mike. This is what collecting, searching a researching is all about.   clap clap clap

Good things come to those who wait, and have the patience to follow it thru. It looks to be in fantastic shape, too, and all the better.

With the set complete, I think the 24sh hunt is a great next goal! (lol)

Well done, Mike, well done!!

:D

Question: why would this particular style, have been printed in so fewer numbers? It certainly is as eye catching as the other 2- so why not have it available to theaters (if wanted) in the same kinds of numbers printed as the others?

Thanks guys, really happy with it although I feel a little like Inigo Montoya, what to do now.

By '83 the three sheet was very rarely used to advertise movies in comparison to earlier years and and had been in steady decline since the late 60's or so. In the case of the Jedi poster it was designed in conjunction with all of the other size posters with scale proofs, etc. for NSS printing but it and the six sheet like other odd ball sizes seven sheets for example were not produced by them and instead were printed by a secondary source and distributed from there. Since there was little market for it and the fact that it could not be ordered in the normal fashion it was not ordered as much. There are a number of poster from the mid 70's on that are incredibly rare or mere rumors because they were printed this way and in such small quantities like the fabled US Jaws three sheet. Thought I found one of those last year but it was not to be.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2015, 10:35:01 PM »
Thanks, Mike!

Great info.

cheers

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2015, 04:36:01 AM »
Congrats, Mike. This is what collecting, searching a researching is all about...
Good things come to those who wait, and have the patience to follow it thru...

Agreed, well done Mike. I know how you must have felt when you learnt about that Heritage sale. I hope you've got a wall in your home large enough to display your trilogy.

Mark

Mirosae

« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2015, 05:32:50 AM »
Mike!!!! Great news. Very happy for you. Those posters could not have gone to a better home.  Now on to the next..you could follow Iñigo  Montoya  steps and start selling some. He was mighty persuasive !  ;)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »
That is great news Mike, love it when it all comes together for a collector.

Neo, liking that new one, it looks like it could have been taken where I work...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2015, 07:08:38 PM »
Have not been posting much of my recent buys but wanted to share this one as it is the end of a journey in a way, a unicorn found.

I started collecting posters around 25 years ago with one of my favorite films, Star Wars getting my first one as part of a comic book collection I bought. One of the earlier buys after that and the one that made me fall in love with big paper of all sizes was the Star Wars three sheet. I was so impressed with it that I decided that I wanted to have a set of all three back then to one day display side by side. A short time later I heard that they never made a Jedi three sheet and my hopes died there. A few years later I found out while researching Star Wars posters that there actually was one made but they were one of the rarest of all the Star Wars posters for any size. This turned out to be true as I only know of a handful, in single digits, of copies that survive and even less that the owners have parted with. I searched and searched and could not find one for sale. When they did come up for sale I was always the brides maid and never the bride almost always being the under bidder to someone with deeper pockets, a day too late to hear about it or as in the case of the one and only time Ha sold one, it went for peanuts for some reason, it was one of the only HA auctions that I missed in years.

Well the hunt is over as of today a copy has arrived and is the completion a search that has spanned decades, countries and continents. Finally I now I have a reason to frame them up. Since this search is over, guess I will go back to the hunt for a set of 24 sheets.  ;D

I have been collecting for around 6 months now, but I already understand how happy you must be to complete your Star Wars 3s collection. One of the King Kong posters I fell in Love with sold on emovie about 2 weeks before I joined the site. Now I search for it regularly, patiently waiting for it to reemerge! I wonder where the hobby will be 25 years from now. I just hope it doesn't all turn digital, for this would be a tragedy IMHO. Congratulations on your set, now hurry go frame it so we can be jealous!!!!!!
This Space For Rent!

Mirosae

« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2015, 09:55:39 PM »
Now I search for it regularly, patiently waiting for it to reemerge!

I know the feeling. :)

Mirosae

« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2015, 10:02:37 PM »
I am so happy. I cannot believe these are mine. I cried. I laughed. I was so surprised that thought I had been outbid. But nope. It is officially over and mine!!!! girly.gif

AND thank you Brian for the heads up on one of these cards!!! :-*

And

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:12:22 PM by Mirosae »

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2015, 10:23:00 PM »
BIG BIG Congrats Rosa!!!!  bed1

Gingerman which Kong were you looking for?
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2015, 10:24:04 PM »
Congrats Rosa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2015, 10:26:48 PM »
BIG BIG Congrats Rosa!!!!  bed1

Gingerman which Kong were you looking for?

What he said and what he asked.  8)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2015, 11:22:18 PM »
I have been collecting for around 6 months now, but I already understand how happy you must be to complete your Star Wars 3s collection. One of the King Kong posters I fell in Love with sold on emovie about 2 weeks before I joined the site. Now I search for it regularly, patiently waiting for it to reemerge! I wonder where the hobby will be 25 years from now. I just hope it doesn't all turn digital, for this would be a tragedy IMHO. Congratulations on your set, now hurry go frame it so we can be jealous!!!!!!

Im sure it will come floating your way again, too, Gingerman.

And even tho the one slipped by on HA a while ago.. it's the hunt for another that keeps this hobby so exciting!   :D

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2015, 12:50:05 AM »
Congrats Michael and Rosa...

...and Matt thanks for the learnings ;)
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2015, 01:19:41 AM »
Very nice Rosa, I can see why your so happy..
It's more than a Hobby...