Author Topic: My Poster Collecting Blog  (Read 92975 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: My Poster Collecting Blog
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2015, 08:46:08 AM »
Yeah, lots of sellers list hand lithos as stone lithos and I suspect they either don't know, or in some cases think it will get more money,
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Duel (1971) - (Dennis Weaver) Australian Daybill
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2015, 10:44:26 PM »
The paper used for this "Duel" poster is the type of paper used for stone lithos (slick image side, rough back side) which is why I was calling it a stone litho.  However the correct term is "hand litho," which refers to the long period in the printing of daybills when the old stone litho technique was used for printing, but with rolled zinc plates instead of limestone plates.  This became necessary after the limestone required to make stone lithos became too scarce.  When the transition was made they stopped making the old "long daybills"  (about 15" x 40") and went to the much smaller size used today (about 13" x 30").  -This Duel poster was definitely not done with offset printing, although there was a later transition to offset in the production of modern daybills.  I have quite a few examples of those, but they don't use the special type of paper used for hand lithos and stone lithos.  The transition in Australia between stone lithos and hand lithos is discussed by Ed Poole on learnaboutmovieposters.com; he credits his information to John Reid, a real expert on Australian posters (moviemem.com).  How to tell the difference between a stone litho and a hand litho?  You can't judge by the type of paper, which is the same in both cases, but Poole says you can see a significant difference in quality if you compare examples of each side-by-side; in Australia the long daybills were almost all from the old stone litho days (which ended in 1941 according to John Reid). 

Very helpful info here, DarvishJo.
Thanks for posting this.
 cheers

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Silver Dragon Ninja (R1987) - (Harry Caine) Egyptian one-sheet
« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2015, 07:35:17 AM »
This is one of the posters I found in Egypt in 1999 the first time I went there looking for film posters:

http://www.mopopoc.com/2014/11/silver-dragon-ninja-r1987-harry-caine.html

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Silver Dragon Ninja (R1987) - (Harry Caine) Egyptian one-sheet
« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2015, 04:10:51 PM »
This is one of the posters I found in Egypt in 1999 the first time I went there looking for film posters:

http://www.mopopoc.com/2014/11/silver-dragon-ninja-r1987-harry-caine.html

That's one very fine looking poster there. I really like the asian theme, the color contrast and the dragon is well done!  thumbsup.gif

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 04:11:12 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2015, 03:15:42 AM »
My, my... that is pretty freakin' cool.

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Son of Samson (1960) - (Mark Forest) Argentine one-sheet
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »
Check out the sinister purple face of Chelo Alonso in the upper right:

http://www.mopopoc.com/2015/08/son-of-samson-1960-mark-forest.html

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »
man o man....Would love to see her image alone on a purple poster.

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
This is a very interesting film from 1969, featuring Mahmoud El-Meliguy as the heavy, The Son of Satan.  The art is also interesting, by Egypt's most famous poster artist Hassan Mazhar Gasour.  Gasour was the only Egyptian ever to be given Egypt's academy award equivalent for his work as a poster artist.  In addition to a fascinating story, this film also has a number of other very important Egyptian actors.  For some reason there has been an uptick in interest in this post, which I did well over a year ago.  I'm not sure the reason. 

http://www.mopopoc.com/2014/02/son-of-satan-farid-shawqi-1969.html

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2015, 09:05:25 PM »
Thanks again for once more shedding light on an area of this hobby that most of us know very little about.
 cheers

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2015, 09:39:08 PM »
Thanks again for once more shedding light on an area of this hobby that most of us know very little about.
 cheers

One of the amazing things about this hobby Ted is the fact that poster collecting is worldwide, practiced pretty much everywhere, but the only country where people don't know the languages or concern themselves with the film industries of places like Iran, Japan, China, India and egypt, all of which have big film industries and millions of followers, is the good old USA, the place where the world's biggest film industry is located.  In all those other places, the people who like posters have probably been taught English from an early age and can easily learn to understand what's what in the USA as well as their own home territories.  That has worked to my advantage in many cases regarding Egyptian and Iranian posters (the places where I like to concentrate), because there aren't enough buyers to jack up the prices too much on the best pieces.  Those rare, choice pieces are very hard to find, but when they do turn up there aren't very many people who can recognize them are or who can tell the difference between things like an original poster and a rerelease.  This will change in time, but right now I'm amazed about the raw state of play in these areas.  The big disadvantage is that the lack of public awareness of this heritage is causing vast amounts of it to be lost forever.  For anybody who thinks films are interesting, as I do, it is a great pleasure to look at the differences in the way these industries have developed, and it is also refreshing to step out of this free-for-all Western market now and then, where there are so many incompetents trying to make a dollar, and to get into that other much more rarified area where a far greater percentage of the other collectors is sophisticated and technically competent. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2015, 12:14:15 PM »
Once again, great info in your posts, Darvish!

Always so informative and interesting.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2015, 08:55:32 PM »
One of the amazing things about this hobby Ted is the fact that poster collecting is worldwide, practiced pretty much everywhere, but the only country where people don't know the languages or concern themselves with the film industries of places like Iran, Japan, China, India and egypt, all of which have big film industries and millions of followers, is the good old USA, the place where the world's biggest film industry is located.  In all those other places, the people who like posters have probably been taught English from an early age and can easily learn to understand what's what in the USA as well as their own home territories.  That has worked to my advantage in many cases regarding Egyptian and Iranian posters (the places where I like to concentrate), because there aren't enough buyers to jack up the prices too much on the best pieces.  Those rare, choice pieces are very hard to find, but when they do turn up there aren't very many people who can recognize them are or who can tell the difference between things like an original poster and a rerelease.  This will change in time, but right now I'm amazed about the raw state of play in these areas.  The big disadvantage is that the lack of public awareness of this heritage is causing vast amounts of it to be lost forever.  For anybody who thinks films are interesting, as I do, it is a great pleasure to look at the differences in the way these industries have developed, and it is also refreshing to step out of this free-for-all Western market now and then, where there are so many incompetents trying to make a dollar, and to get into that other much more rarified area where a far greater percentage of the other collectors is sophisticated and technically competent. 

I'm hoping that the internet will bring more of those collectors into the mainstream to share their enthusiasm and knowledge of the hobby.
Maybe we'll all get lucky if they find their way here.
Now, you've piqued my curiosity about the Iranian market.
What are your favorites from there?

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2015, 10:33:23 PM »
I'm hoping that the internet will bring more of those collectors into the mainstream to share their enthusiasm and knowledge of the hobby.
Maybe we'll all get lucky if they find their way here.
Now, you've piqued my curiosity about the Iranian market.
What are your favorites from there?

The Iranians are master filmmakers, and so are the Egyptians, but in completely different ways.  One of the things that become clear if you spend a lot of time going back and forth between Iranian and Egyptian cinema is that one big difference is the Iranians don't do many remakes of foreign films, while the Egyptians do a lot of them.  For the Egyptians, filmmaking is an international craft, while for the Iranians film seems to be almost exclusively a matter for indigenous political and cultural expression.  My first favorite Iranian movies were the posters for films that were released with subtitles in the USA, which were often thought to be made in opposition to shah of Iran, but if not that then at least coded commentaries on Iranian society.  An excellent example of that is Gholamhossein Saeedi's 1969 film The Cow, which is a strange story about a villager who goes insane when he learns his cow has died, and begins to act as if he is a cow himself.  Wikipedia has an article about that film which shows a poster for that film's English release, but the Iranian one is much more interesting.  I have not yet been able to obtain an original Iranian poster for it in Persian, but I am confident I will sooner or later.  This film was the start of what they call the Iranian "New Wave," where Iranian filmmakers began to move away from comedy, romantic melodrama and heroic tales about revered historic figures, and to go more into social and philosophical commentary.   Later I developed a taste for films made based on classics of Iranian Iranian literature.  The most famous of these is the 1971 Masoud Kimiai film Dash Akol, starring Behruz Vossougi (who still lives in Iran and is on Facebook) based on a story by a great Iranian writer named Sadeq Hedayat, best known in the West for his surrealistic novel The Blind Owl, which has been published in many languages.  I don't have a poster for Dash Akol either.  It is not that Gav and Dash Akol are particularly rare, it is just that Iranian posters, unlike Egyptian posters, are not made in huge numbers (because egypt is the movie capital of the Arab world, its films and posters are shipped to every Arabic speaking country as well as a few others, while Iranian posters are made only for use in Iran), and the few Iranian film posters that exist are quickly hoarded by Iran's fiercely dedicated movie fans, who are very proud of their national heritage.   I do believe I will eventually obtain copies of both of them.  I have a lot of Iranian posters, especially for films made since the Iranian revolution.  For some reason these seem to be easier to get.  The best contemporary Iranian filmmaker is Asghar Farhadi, who is best known for A Separation, which was released in the USA under that title but was originally known in Persian as Jodai Nader az Simin [Nader's Separation from Simin]; it is a story about an Iranian couple who decide to separate for the sake of their daughter so she can go abroad to study.  This is one of two films by Farhadi that won the academy award for best foreign language film.  Another great contemporary Iranian director is Abbas Kiarostami, who has made several important films that have gotten international recognition.  One of these, which has gotten a US release, is A Taste of Cherry, a film about a man who is planning to commit suicide and is looking for somebody who will agree to bury him after he does it.  Another less famous one by Kiarostami but my personal favorite is called Closeup [nama-ye nazdik], a true story about a poor man who pretends to be the famous Iranian filmmaker Mohsen Makhmalbaf and gets caught and put in jail for it.  Two interesting things about this film are that the man's actual trial was in the film and that Mohsen Makhmalbaf himself makes an appearance in the film when he greets his impersonator after his release from prison.  This film has the best film interpretation I have seen of the expression "kicking the can down the road," but you have to see it.  All these films I have mentioned are available with English subtitles.  There are many, many other great ones.  I have blog entries about a lot of them, which you can find by searching "iranian movie" on the blog.  One of my favorites among these not-so-famous ones is a 1974 film called Still Life [Tabi'at-e Bijan], whose poster is pictured on my blog here:
http://www.mopopoc.com/2013/10/still-life-1974.html
I used to have its video with subtitles embedded in the blog, but the video has been blocked on copyright grounds and is no longer available.  It is a story about an elderly railroad switchman who is forced to retire, and doesn't understand the significance of it when he gets the news.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2015, 12:41:44 AM »
Thanks for the detailed response, John.
I've been searching your blog and have bookmarked Saint Mary to watch this weekend.
Looks quite interesting.
http://www.mopopoc.com/2014/07/saint-mary-shabnam-golikhani-2000.html
 cheers

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Sea of Monsters (1975) - (Fei Ming)
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2015, 07:05:51 AM »
This is a post about a poster for an obscure Chinese film I would like to know more about:

http://www.mopopoc.com/2013/05/sea-of-monsters-1975.html

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Devil Fighter (1969) - (dir: Lei Pang)
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2015, 07:11:10 AM »
A post about some memorabilia that turned up in Egypt for a Chinese film that seems to have completely disappeared: 

http://www.mopopoc.com/2015/02/devil-fighter-zhuo-yao-zhan-mo-1969-dir.html

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2015, 07:35:49 PM »
Haha!
I've seen that Red Riding Hood film!

That's a sharp-looking poster.
It looks like it belongs in Monster-A-Go-Go's wheelhouse.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic

-Jeff

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
The Getaway
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2015, 10:36:07 PM »
Elzbieta Procka misspelled Ali MacGraw!  For some reason nobody ever seems to notice it :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: The Getaway
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2015, 10:38:28 PM »
Elzbieta Procka misspelled Ali MacGraw!  For some reason nobody ever seems to notice it :)

Ali MacGrove -- that has a nice ring to it.   girly2.gif

-Jeff

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Blow-up (R1987) - (David Hemmings) Polish Poster Waldemar Swierzy art
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2015, 09:31:32 AM »