Author Topic: March 2015  (Read 35379 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: March 2015
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2015, 09:20:03 PM »
I got #3 .

I got #4, but numbers don't matter to me.  The only thing that matters is that I got one.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2015, 09:53:13 PM »
A few recent arrivals:

This one for Spring Breakers from here http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Breakers-Piano-Poster-Exclusive/dp/B00JREKYNS

Thanks to Ves for this Aussie one sheet:

Rad video poster:

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2015, 10:57:08 PM »
Can someone explain to me the obsession with Spring Breakers?  Many I'm getting too old.  The movie was a flop when it came out, it has a 65% fresh tomatoes, hardly a home run, it stars a bunch of starlets no one will ever remember.  What am I missing?

No offense to your poster, Neo, but the title keeps coming back on this forum and I don't get it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2015, 11:01:48 PM »
Harmony Korine I guess. He's kind of a cult director...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2015, 11:26:14 PM »
Harmony Korine I guess. He's kind of a cult director...

Agree and Riff Raff fans like the poster too.

Hmm whats interesting is that I know one person received the Under the Skin from Akiko and its trimmed to 30x40 and signed and numbered on the art. Mine is like Dale's and Thierry's untrimmed.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:26:36 PM by jedgerley »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2015, 12:08:35 AM »
No offense taken, T.

It's a wild, fun movie, it's unique in some ways, and very well done, IMO.

I have also noticed that some folks are really into it.  A little while after the movie was released, and a few weeks after the first few Wish You Were Here one sheets had sold on eBay, a guy offered me $500 for mine.  I didn't sell it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:25:01 AM by Neo »

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2015, 01:00:38 AM »
I thought Spring Breakers was an interesting film - as most H. Korine films are.  Not that I particularly liked it or even have much of a desire to see it again, but it was definitely not your typical Hollywood crapfest.  I think the studio didn't have a clue how to promote it so ended up giving it the "Spring Break 'Wooooo'" treatment for an ad campaign that did it an enormous disservice.

I've got to give it props for having James Franco delivering the performance of a lifetime as the doucheiest of all king douchebags, so there's that.

As for the poster, one word:  bikinis.

--Peter
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 01:01:18 AM by oldposterho »
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2015, 02:37:02 AM »
Just a side note, I get a fair few requests for help to find British posters, and that is the most requested.... Don't ask me why, could be a Girls and guns thing??
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2015, 05:51:56 AM »
I thought Spring Breakers was an interesting film - as most H. Korine films are.  Not that I particularly liked it or even have much of a desire to see it again, but it was definitely not your typical Hollywood crapfest.  I think the studio didn't have a clue how to promote it so ended up giving it the "Spring Break 'Wooooo'" treatment for an ad campaign that did it an enormous disservice.

I've got to give it props for having James Franco delivering the performance of a lifetime as the doucheiest of all king douchebags, so there's that.

As for the poster, one word:  bikinis.

--Peter

I agree with you on the film - I find that when public opinion on a film is divisive, there's usual something interesting there. However I think most of the ad campaign was pretty good - vulgar and neon and exploitative (apart from the main US one sheet which was bland), although whether that was intentional or just happened to fit nicely with the themes of the film is another question I suppose.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2015, 07:17:01 AM »
...I think most of the ad campaign was pretty good - vulgar and neon and exploitative (apart from the main US one sheet which was bland), although whether that was intentional or just happened to fit nicely with the themes of the film is another question I suppose.

I confess to liking this poster campaign as well for its bizarre imagery and have a few different styles. I made the mistake of paying $80 for one of the first ones only to learn from a posting on this forum (by Mel I think) that this and other variations were available for $20 each directly from the distribution company. Coincidentally, Akiko produced some concept art for Springbreakers which was subsequently unused.

Mark

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2015, 07:24:04 AM »
Hmm whats interesting is that I know one person received the Under the Skin from Akiko and its trimmed to 30x40 and signed and numbered on the art. Mine is like Dale's and Thierry's untrimmed.

That was probably Tob's one (I'm guessing #1/10) as he was the first to discover this print and was kind enough to share it with us. My one was untrimmed as well.

Mark

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2015, 10:41:28 AM »
Thought it was just the chicks in bikinis factor
Chris

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2015, 02:41:03 AM »
I'm new here and I don't have nearly as nice of posters as you all have (I really need to branch out and get some foreign posters. The art is simply stunning on some of those I've seen in this thread alone!) ...but, here are some (I'll just post 5) of my March purchases so far:

Cheers!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2015, 04:09:48 AM »
Nothing wrong with those posters, or the ones you put in the "Greetings" thread, all Jollyfine. Do remember we all like different stuff and for different reasons, I buy some right crap and don't care what these fellows say. Buy what you like and enjoy it, that's all that matters.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2015, 04:22:47 AM »
Hey don't undersell the posters you have. Show what you have that you like and better still show your passion for them and that will give you heaps of kudos, if that is what you like. If no one comments at all then maybe no one connects with it, still doesn't matter, people have different tastes, none right or wrong. Many don't connect with my Mexican Lobby Cards (except occasionally Ari) and any ribbing is done in jest.

I collect for the art as well and the posters are luckily of a good price/value because the movies usually suck.

Some here collect really bad stuff like Justin Bieber posters, so nothing you likely have could be that bad.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 04:24:24 AM by 50s »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2015, 01:05:13 PM »
Hey don't undersell the posters you have. Show what you have that you like and better still show your passion for them and that will give you heaps of kudos, if that is what you like. If no one comments at all then maybe no one connects with it, still doesn't matter, people have different tastes, none right or wrong. Many don't connect with my Mexican Lobby Cards (except occasionally Ari) and any ribbing is done in jest.

I collect for the art as well and the posters are luckily of a good price/value because the movies usually suck.

Some here collect really bad stuff like Justin Bieber posters, so nothing you likely have could be that bad.

Right on, Steve.

And, to add.. dont ever think that what you have bought and added to your collection isnt worthy or is "less than." There is no such thing as either. Different posters, different likes, genres, styles, countries.... all have their place.

There was a time when certain (ex) members made people feel just the way you are expressing.. calling the material others got "inferior," "not the best style" etc. Fortunately, those people are 'out the house.' NO member should ever feel like they cant post anything, image-wise, for fear or criticism or being put down.

(Off me soapbox now.. LOL)  ;D

Good stuff there, Monster. Looking good!

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2015, 01:11:30 PM »
Yep. this will cheer you up, I just paid good money for this....

Just shows what great posters you posted... ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2015, 03:53:38 PM »
"It's not his nose that grows"!

Think of the children!

Chris

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2015, 06:23:51 PM »
"It's not his nose that grows"!

Think of the children!

They are just a bunch of little snots.
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »

I couldn't agree more. While I am way behind on acquisitions, I found there are many different collectors here. Some do not have the same tastes as I do, but they still welcome the stuff I share! Collect what you like.

Side note, while I personally would not collect Mexican Lobby Cards, they do have some cool imagery.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:26:26 PM by Gingerman »
This Space For Rent!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2015, 09:59:46 PM »
I buy some right crap and don't care what these fellows say. Buy what you like and enjoy it, that's all that matters.

That to me is so crucial.  Collect what you like, show it to us, don't show it to us, it's entirely up to you, but do not let anyone influence your tastes.  If you like it, you can't go wrong, even if someone tells you you're wrong.  I could even be that someone ;). But you know what, you don't know me and what I think is irrelevant.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2015, 12:53:47 AM »
Paul---Thank you for your words of encouragement. It's just a little intimidating coming on here as a newbie and seeing some of the amazing pieces others have... I'm actually just glad there are other poster freaks...er, enthusiasts out there!

Steve---I promise not to make fun of your Justin Bieber collection or your Mexican lobby cards (or you could combine the hobby and collect pictures from South of Bieber's border--oh my!) (Forgive my lame attempt at humor. I'm just home from a 12-hour shift, having a glass of wine and a melatonin so I can hopefully conk out quickly and do it all again starting tomorrow morning at 5 a.m. Joy...)

Jeff,people can be kicked outta here? Golly, I had no idea. Not that I'm ever the type to cause a fuss.

Chris:  "It's not his nose that grows"! Think of the children!  Hopefully they were using condoms and there were no children. If you haven't seen it, it's really a BORING flick.  ZZZzzz...

Lynaman---Clever! But snots? Nah. Remember it's NOT his nose that grows...

Gingerman---Thanks for the note. You're the King Kong guy, right? Ooooo... The 50s re-release is on my bucket list (since I'll never be able to get a 1933 original). I do have a 60s international release and one for all of the sequels and remakes since "King Kong Vs Godzilla" (alas, no "Son of Kong" at all...). I am all over the board when it comes to tastes in posters...but Kong is right up there.

T-- What you think may be irrelevant, but I am utterly enchanted by your avatar. So much so that I am humbled by whatever it is you have to say.

Anyway--thank you all for making me feel better about posting my crap...er, the stuff that I dig!

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2015, 02:36:50 AM »

T-- What you think may be irrelevant, but I am utterly enchanted by your avatar. So much so that I am humbled by whatever it is you have to say.

What, you actually know what my avatar is?  That would be a first.  I've had it since Holiday and I created this joint.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2015, 03:55:00 AM »
Steve---I promise not to make fun of your Justin Bieber collection

Now you've let the cat out of the bag!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2015, 08:28:37 AM »
What, you actually know what my avatar is?  That would be a first.  I've had it since Holiday and I created this joint.

T

A Google image search says...

I'm a big Coppola fan but I've never seen this movie.  Is it worth checking out?