Author Topic: posters you own, that you have only seen for sale once.  (Read 38672 times)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Re: posters you own, that you have only seen for sale once.
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2017, 06:52:10 PM »
Whoa, this thread is quickly becoming a favorite. Great stuff Schan!
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2017, 01:03:24 AM »
Ah right Jeff, it was me that got them mixed up...  I do find it odd as there is not a shortage of these over here.

Paul,

sherlockholmes.gif and perused a few UK poster selling sites and the Fade To Black quad, either rolled or folded, was not in their inventories.

So if not sold here, (aside from the one copy that Heritage auctioned 11 years ago and the one I found in 2017), and with none listed with the few UK poster dealers' sites I tripped upon, I'm curious where or when have you seen these available for sale?

Tho maybe some have floated by on ebay UK?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:10:56 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2017, 01:49:14 AM »
Romanian

This one caught my eye.  Great poster (and movie)!

I like the kind of "soft", dreamlike quality of the art.  The artwork style is more like what you would expect from a children's storybook than a movie poster (I mean this in a good way).

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2017, 11:26:35 AM »
Paul,

sherlockholmes.gif and perused a few UK poster selling sites and the Fade To Black quad, either rolled or folded, was not in their inventories.

So if not sold here, (aside from the one copy that Heritage auctioned 11 years ago and the one I found in 2017), and with none listed with the few UK poster dealers' sites I tripped upon, I'm curious where or when have you seen these available for sale?

Tho maybe some have floated by on ebay UK?

They have been regular on the Bay, I don't tend to look through dealer sites due to the prices, but know of one who sold it last year..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »
And as It's the Lonsters Birthday, here's one I've only seen the once, and I bought it..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2017, 12:48:05 PM »
Happy Bday, Lon Jr, and awesome looking poster, Paul.  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2017, 12:49:59 PM »
Absolutely beautiful way to commemorate Lon's birthday, 111 years ago today.
 clap clap clap clap

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »
Thanks fellas, and Matt, I see what you mean  ;)

So, I shall replace it with this Ohrai B1:

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2017, 01:13:37 AM »
Going though my posters the last month found a few I forgot I had.

Came across this in my to do pile, can say I've seen one since...

We've all seen this "kitten poster" many times, Paul. It's quite common here in the US, abroad and on APF, so it's not nearly as rare as you think.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:25:36 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2017, 01:27:32 AM »
 laugh1

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2017, 04:52:47 PM »
And as It's the Lonsters Birthday, here's one I've only seen the once, and I bought it..

This caught my eye and not just for the great artwork. The details in the bottom left corner ties up with all the old film stills I have which I spoke about in the Frankie stills thread.

Most of the UK stills have the GFD logo on and that address corresponds where the Gentleman worked.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2017, 03:35:55 PM »
Largest format, Swiss poster, measuring 35.5 x 50 inches:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:34:32 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2017, 03:57:46 PM »
Good one Jeff, like that a lot.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2017, 06:06:44 PM »
Thanks, Tob.

cheers

-Jeff

Offline YugoMoviePoster

• Beginner
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2017, 01:28:43 AM »
Thanks for all of the information, Matt.

This sounds like a common theme in cold-war era communist countries. I picked up some Yugoslavian, Psycho lobby cards a while ago that had 'Vezna Films' logo on it. I looked into it a bit, and Vezna, headquartered in Slovenia, was one of four or five regional Yugoslavian distribution hubs run by the State. Their logo is also on a Slavic, Psycho poster I have.

I love reading into the history of particular posters, finding more about their backstory and the cultures that they fostered from.

Well, as a matter of fact - in former Yugoslavia, it was not really like that.
Only the one distribution company who buy the rights, has distribute the movie and advertising material in whole country.
So, there was no serious design variations by region. Only sometimes title and credits are changed because of different language .

So in this example there is title in Slovenian (Jedijeva vrnitev) and Serbo-Croatian (Povratak Dzedaja):

Vesna Film (Ljubljana, Slovenija) buy rights for The Psycho re-release. So, LC`s you have picked up are from the same time and release as this poster:

Both, the LC`s and the posters looked the same for the complete country. There was no any variations.

As a matter of fact - those are only Yugoslavian LC`s for The Psycho.

First release of the movie in Yugoslavia was back in 1963, and distribution company was Zeta Film (Montenegero).
This is the poster from the first release:

However, at the time movie stills were used as Lobby Cards.
Yugoslavian distribution companies start to print Lobby Cards as advertising material, somewhere in Mid- 1960s.
So there were no LCs from First Release of Psycho in Yugoslavia, only movie stills.

Movie was later re-released by Vesna Film, and Filmoteka 16. But, only Vesna Film printed LCs for thr movie.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2017, 03:42:35 PM »
Fabulous information Yugo
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2017, 10:55:20 PM »
I never understood why some countries change the name of actors/directors.  A title can be translated in a different language, but how can a last name be translated.  Hitchcock's last name is Hitchcock, not Hickok.  Why is that?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2017, 11:22:01 PM »
I never understood why some countries change the name of actors/directors.  A title can be translated in a different language, but how can a last name be translated.  Hitchcock's last name is Hitchcock, not Hickok.  Why is that?

T

It's not a complete answer to you question, but notice the accent mark above the C.

I think this gives it the "tch" sound when Slavic languages are written in the Latin alphabet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Č
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_(Cyrillic)

Offline YugoMoviePoster

• Beginner
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2017, 02:40:43 AM »

T

Good question. A very interesting subject.

Russians do it all the time. But their posters are in Cyrillic so lot of people out of Russia can not recognize it.

"Write as you speak and read as it is written." - The essence of modern Serbian spelling.

So, it is not really about translation. It is about pronunciation. When Serbs (or Croats...) read Hičkok, it is pronounced and sound almost same, as when you pronounce Hitchcock in English.
It is done basically because of this practical reason : At the time, there were not much people here who could understand foreign languages. And they could not pronounce strange foreign words to sound right. But that rule make it simple for them.

However, in ex-Yugoslavia there was highly divided opinions to use that rule on a personal names.

In some ex-yu republics (Slovenia, Croatia) there were always wrote personal names as in a original. So when when on the poster you see Croatia Film or Vesna film logo, you can be sure that actors/directors names are as in original.

In other ex-yu republics (Serbia - Morava Film, Bosnia - Kinema, Sarajevo) personal names are written as in a original - in most of the cases. There are some exceptions, but not too much.

But Makedonija Film (Macedonia) and Zeta Film (Budva, Montenegro), always wrote personal names as they are pronounced, and not as they written in original.

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2017, 02:52:02 AM »
I acquired these a while back and posted them on my thread then...but I have never seen these posters for sale before or since I got them. (I only now discovered this thread...)

The TENTACLES is okay, but I really like the BEYOND THE DOOR poster. I was actually just going to frame it tonight, but it turned out to be a good 5 or 6 inches shorter than i thought it would be ---too short for the 27x41 frame i was going to put it in, anyway. Guess i should have measured it first.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2017, 03:12:58 AM »
I always thought that version of Beyond the Door was so cool. Really great art. After you posted it initially, I started looking and found it on ebay a couple times and EMP has sold it twice:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/BEYOND%2520THE%2520DOOR/style/Export%253AEnglish/archive.html

Shawn, is your copy shorter than 39" on the length?  EMP describes this poster as measuring 27.5x39 inches

Looks like EMP has sold copies of Tentacles, too. Been just a few years ago, tho. ;)

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/TENTACLES/tag/nation%253AItaly/type/Italian%25201sh/archive.html

Both posters are described as Italian but produced for English speaking markets.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:09:50 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2017, 10:19:11 AM »

Awesome information, Yugo! Thank you for correcting me. As you can imagine, information on Yugoslavian movie poster history isn't very abundant :)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2017, 01:04:53 AM »
I always thought that version of Beyond the Door was so cool. Really great art. After you posted it initially, I started looking and found it on ebay a couple times and EMP has sold it twice:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/BEYOND%2520THE%2520DOOR/style/Export%253AEnglish/archive.html

Shawn, is your copy shorter than 39" on the length?  EMP describes this poster as measuring 27.5x39 inches

Looks like EMP has sold copies of Tentacles, too. Been just a few years ago, tho. ;)

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/TENTACLES/tag/nation%253AItaly/type/Italian%25201sh/archive.html

Both posters are described as Italian but produced for English speaking markets.

Aha!  Sherlock Jeff strikes again. I should have looked on eMovie. Duh. It may be 39 inches...I didn't measure--just realized it was too short for the 41 frame. the 27.5 width makes sense though. It was fitting---but awkwardly, like it was bigger than 27. That extra half inch accounts for it. I'll get it framed eventually. I really like it (BEYOND THE DOOR). Thanks for the info.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!