Author Topic: Frankie 3 sheet-- The Description from HA!  (Read 17926 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Frankie 3 sheet-- The Description from HA!
« on: February 24, 2015, 05:27:39 PM »
Described as found in its pre-restore condition:

Offered in this lot is the only known copy of either of the two style three sheets created for the debut of the film. This is the Style C and is arguably the best graphic of the two styles. The poster was found in the early 1970s in a long closed and boarded over projection booth in a remodeled theater. It had apparently been used as a display for a number of reissues of the film with its counterpart Dracula, as was so often the case throughout the 1930s and 1940s. It had been trimmed of its borders and there was paper trimmed around the monster's head, on the right side of the poster above his shoulder and upper portion of the small space to the left side of the monster's head. There were quarter size holes taken from the monster's eyes as well as a chip from his upper forehead on the left of image and one next to his left eye, poster right just before his left ear. There was approximately six inches of paper trimmed from the bottom of the image which extended into the woman's hand and a spot extended up to just into her hair and into the far left side of her face. There was approximately ¾ to 2 inches trimmed from the left side of the image and approximately 1 inch to the right. There was some paper chipping in the upper folds of the poster as well as some chips from the monster's chin and just to the right of his mouth. There was a much larger piece missing in the image area just above the woman's body and into the credits above. There was a chip in the last "N" of "Frankenstein" and a smaller chip in the "F."

The title and credits have been airbrushed. There were other minor spots of paper loss within the image that have been touched up. Professional restoration has addressed all of these condition issue and the poster now displays beautifully. Fair/Good on Linen.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:28:12 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Starling

• Collector
Re: Frankie 3 sheet-- The Description from HA!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 09:00:35 PM »
It's up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 09:17:50 PM »
 bed1 bed1 bed1 bed1 bed1 bed1

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:42:11 PM »
OK I just finished printing.  who wants a copy! :)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »
OK I just finished printing.  who wants a copy! :)

Haggard for his prison cell wall?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 10:23:23 PM »
Amazing that any of it survived given that back story and multiple uses. Too bad about the eyes being missing as arguably those ARE the main feature of the monster.

I wonder what else was in the projection room?
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 01:02:11 AM »
what a great poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 04:09:49 AM »
In 2004 Heritage sold a Frankenstein 1-sheet for $189K.
In 2015 Heritage sold a Frankenstein 3-sheet for $?K.. I am ready to  faint2.gif

What she says hehe

Mirosae

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 04:32:52 AM »
Too much restoration for me. I won't be Bidding.  I'm serious. Why selling these posters restored...rather were left alone

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 09:22:33 AM »
I'm serious. Why selling these posters restored...rather were left alone

I understand that it may not be to your taste.  However, from the auctioneers perspective, it would probably amount to dereliction of duty to sell this Franky 3-sheet unrestored and in that tattered condition.  I'm not sure what the restoration cost -- maybe $1000?  I bet the ROI on that $1000 will be 50-100x!  Now, something like the LAM 1-sheet or the Maltese 6-banger, those were left unrestored as they will arguably get an equal or possibly even higher result given their good condition.  It all comes down to money I'm sure...

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 10:39:52 AM »
For 100K + I would think that "pre-restoration" pictures should be available on demand, for serious registered bidders.  But then again, as Matt says, its all about the benjamins..

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 12:15:32 PM »
Restoration or not, I WANT!!! That is one cool looking image. Can;t wait for the ebay reprints. Should be up any minute now.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Mirosae

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 02:03:34 PM »
I understand that it may not be to your taste.  However, from the auctioneers perspective, it would probably amount to dereliction of duty to sell this Franky 3-sheet unrestored and in that tattered condition.  I'm not sure what the restoration cost -- maybe $1000?  I bet the ROI on that $1000 will be 50-100x!  Now, something like the LAM 1-sheet or the Maltese 6-banger, those were left unrestored as they will arguably get an equal or possibly even higher result given their good condition.  It all comes down to money I'm sure...

I never thought it was a matter of taste, but choice. It is not all about the money I'm sure. :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 02:09:38 PM »
Restoration or not, I WANT!!! That is one cool looking image. Can;t wait for the ebay reprints. Should be up any minute now.

It is a beauty... not even a question. And the restoration looks to be top notch.

But step right up and take a number.

re: the ebay prints.... lol

waiting1
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:10:46 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 03:38:10 PM »
Matt.. I do not believe the LAM 3 sheet would get the same price if it was unrestored

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 03:40:10 PM »
Matt.. I do not believe the LAM 3 sheet would get the same price if it was unrestored

Matt mentioned the 1 sheet which was left unbacked/restored
Chris

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 01:32:51 AM »
I just love where the hobby is at right now...we are witnessing an unprecedented bombardment of epicness the last few years...it's hard to put it into perspective...but there have been so many massively important vintage movie poster moments the past few years....let's break it down

The Berwicks....the Frankie insert....The series of Robert Edward auctions with the 3 stooges collection....the silent film estate cache....the LAM record breaking one sheet....THE Morrie Everett collection....the Frankie and LAM 3 sheets...

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch...but this is an incredible run!!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:37:47 AM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 03:16:40 AM »
New Zealand collection
the Pennsylvania collection that was in the safe deposit box with the Unihorror posters

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 11:41:22 AM »
It's great but it is also sad in a way that so much that was previously unknown (or little known) is coming to market as it means many long time collectors are passing on (both their collections and their lives)...
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 12:28:35 PM »
I just love where the hobby is at right now...we are witnessing an unprecedented bombardment of epicness the last few years...it's hard to put it into perspective...but there have been so many massively important vintage movie poster moments the past few years....let's break it down

The Berwicks....the Frankie insert....The series of Robert Edward auctions with the 3 stooges collection....the silent film estate cache....the LAM record breaking one sheet....THE Morrie Everett collection....the Frankie and LAM 3 sheets...

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch...but this is an incredible run!!

I agree with this. I will add to your list the Casablanca 6 sheet, and its piano! It is really quite extraordinary to see these pieces emerging from the dark, and quite unique to see them going for such an incredible price tag.

I just loved when one of the  LAM's bidder shouted "100,000$!" (jumping the bid from 65,000$ to 100,000$). Well, that's what I call deep pockets..

:)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 12:41:27 PM »
I agree with this. I will add to your list the Casablanca 6 sheet, and its piano! It is really quite extraordinary to see these pieces emerging from the dark, and quite unique to see them going for such an incredible price tag.

I just loved when one of the  LAM's bidder shouted "100,000$!" (jumping the bid from 65,000$ to 100,000$). Well, that's what I call deep pockets..

:)

And still $300,000 short!  :)
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 01:23:23 PM »
And still $300,000 short!  :)

Yes...but he got a 3 sheet long in the end! !

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 04:27:49 PM »
It is really quite extraordinary to see these pieces emerging from the dark

People die and the people who inherit this stuff sell. Pretty normal. And tons more stuff out there no one knows someone has.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 01:37:58 PM »
Frankie's opening bid is $50K, with the wider estimate of $100-200K.

Methinks it will go well beyond the $200!

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 01:38:44 PM »
WoW well spotted!