Author Topic: February 2015  (Read 36513 times)

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
Re: February 2015
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2015, 08:53:03 PM »
Okay one more  thumbsup.gif!!!  These are my 2 favorite characters from Sin City. Alba and Willis. I had the opportunity to buy the Murphy, but I unfortunately got beat to the purchase.

These are going to be fun to see once I get a few of them framed. Alright that's all for the night.
This Space For Rent!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »

These are going to be fun to see once I get a few of them framed. Alright that's all for the night.
with Jessica Alba sprawled on my bed i would call it a night too  ;)

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2015, 09:48:57 PM »
Very nice, Gingerman!
Collect what you like and enjoy what you collect.
Witty signature goes here.

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2015, 10:44:41 PM »
Very nice, Gingerman!
Collect what you like and enjoy what you collect.

Thank you! So far with the exception of one poster, I have only purchased stuff from my favorite movies, actors, directors, and of course artists. The one I did pick up was for my "spaceship" collection. I have a few for this already, like the crashing Starship Enterprise from Into Darkness. Or lobby card #1 from Close Encounters SE. I wouldn't mind having one of the Earth vs. The Flying Saucers, or the E.T. spaceship version.
This Space For Rent!

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2015, 01:39:07 PM »
Okay one more  thumbsup.gif!!!  These are my 2 favorite characters from Sin City. Alba and Willis. I had the opportunity to buy the Murphy, but I unfortunately got beat to the purchase.

The Alba version is the coolest one in that series. I have a couple myself. Double sided and single sided, black and white and colour. One of each.

The new Alba poster for the new film is nowhere near as good as this one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:44:50 PM by erik1925 »

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2015, 07:53:45 PM »
with Jessica Alba sprawled on my bed i would call it a night too  ;)

If Alba was in my bed I wouldn't be here talking to you guys...no offence  ;D

The Alba version is the coolest one in that series. I have a couple myself. Double sided and single sided, black and white and colour. One of each.

The new Alba poster for the new film is nowhere near as good as this one.

I could not agree more. The Alba is is the best in the set.
I like the black and white version, however I like the color version more. I haven't personally seen too many of the bus shelters, which is why I was disappointed when I missed the Murphy.
This Space For Rent!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2015, 10:37:27 PM »
We have all found common ground with Alba.  ;D

Mirosae

« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2015, 03:47:15 AM »
We have all found common ground with Alba.  ;D

I beg to differ dear Z ;)

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2015, 09:54:02 AM »

Ditto. She's no Eva Green.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2015, 11:00:55 AM »
double ditto
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2015, 11:33:27 AM »
Chris

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2015, 01:12:49 PM »
Ditto. She's no Eva Green.

I like the way you think.  thumbsup.gif

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2015, 09:23:31 PM »

;D

This is how the world goes round.

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2015, 12:26:53 PM »
Picked up a couple banners from MotionPictureArt.com!  ;D
I usually post my own pics, but I'm still working on a hosting solution so I've borrowed these from the site.

The Incredibles, 4'x6':

Finding Nemo, 10'x4' (this one is so awesome!):
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:27:54 PM by pratschm »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »
Mike, will those waves/roll marks naturally fall out and flatten once these are hung or laid out?

Not ever owning a banner, can I ask what material they are made from?

And 10x4 feet! Now that's impressive!

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2015, 01:12:02 PM »
^ Agree

I really like those banners, great fun to have, and I do actually like the waves, it adds... uhmm context!!  :D

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2015, 01:55:59 PM »
Mike, will those waves/roll marks naturally fall out and flatten once these are hung or laid out?

Not ever owning a banner, can I ask what material they are made from?

And 10x4 feet! Now that's impressive!

So I can't say 100% since I've not tried yet, but I'm sure if they hung long enough or were laid flat with some weight the waves would at least lessen. In all honesty you can't really see the waves in person, especially on the banners for The Incredibles. It's more the flash of the camera pronouncing them. The Incredibles banners came with dowel rods so that also puts a little stress on the banner to flatten out the rolls (along with its own weight) when hung. The Finding Nemo might be a little trickier since it's wide rather than tall, so not as much self-weight to pull out the waves.

They are made of vinyl and quite sturdy, though they can scuff easily if you're not careful.

Both the size and artwork of the Finding Nemo sold me. I love that the whale was chosen for a 10ft horizontal format and takes up practically the entire banner, and then you've got little Marlin and Dory about the size of its eye. As soon as I saw it I knew I'd have to get it.

I really like those banners, great fun to have, and I do actually like the waves, it adds... uhmm context!!  :D

I see what you did there.  ;D thumbup

Thanks for the comments!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:56:34 PM by pratschm »

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »
So I can't say 100% since I've not tried yet, but I'm sure if they hung long enough or were laid flat with some weight the waves would at least lessen. In all honesty you can't really see the waves in person, especially on the banners for The Incredibles. It's more the flash of the camera pronouncing them. The Incredibles banners came with dowel rods so that also puts a little stress on the banner to flatten out the rolls (along with its own weight) when hung. The Finding Nemo might be a little trickier since it's wide rather than tall, so not as much self-weight to pull out the waves.

They are made of vinyl and quite sturdy, though they can scuff easily if you're not careful.

Both the size and artwork of the Finding Nemo sold me. I love that the whale was chosen for a 10ft horizontal format and takes up practically the entire banner, and then you've got little Marlin and Dory about the size of its eye. As soon as I saw it I knew I'd have to get it.

I see what you did there.  ;D thumbup

Thanks for the comments!

Nice Mike  I just got 4 Character Incredibles Bus Shelters.

So for The Incredibles Banners what I have done is to use a Large Diameter Bus Shelter and rolled them around that as tight as possible and it took care of waves on vinyl. easier than hanging them up too and faster results

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2015, 02:35:42 PM »

So for The Incredibles Banners what I have done is to use a Large Diameter Bus Shelter and rolled them around that as tight as possible and it took care of waves on vinyl. easier than hanging them up too and faster results

That's an interesting technique. I was told that it's impossible to get those waves out of banners. Good to know it isn't!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2015, 03:28:13 PM »
I own a few banners but I don't collect them anymore because they're too hard to store and take way too much room.  The marks on the banners can be somewhat softened but they can never totally disappear due to the thickness of the vinyl material.  They're still pretty cool, though.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2015, 03:53:13 PM »
Nice banners Mike..

If you want the ripples out of banners, I've hung them with some extra weight on the bottom, and turned the space heater on them for a while, not too close mind just close enough to warm them. After 20/30 mins turn it off, but leave the weights on for another 30mins+ until it cools, and they are gone.  I've never unrolled them months after to see if they are still gone, but I would assume so....if I get any others like that, I'll take some pics.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2015, 03:59:29 PM »

I always knew you had fine taste.  thumbsup.gif
Thanks for the tip about the shelter tube. Got plenty of those lying around and have used that trick before for tightly rolled one sheets.

I own a few banners but I don't collect them anymore because they're too hard to store and take way too much room.  The marks on the banners can be somewhat softened but they can never totally disappear due to the thickness of the vinyl material.  They're still pretty cool, though.

T

Definitely take up a bit of space. I keep them rolled either in a tube or box, but for some that are really big with the half-inch tubes on the ends (eg, my Edge of Tomorrow Emily Blunt) you just have to do the best you can keeping them out of the way. Either way, they are cool to have. thumbup

Nice banners Mike..

If you want the ripples out of banners, I've hung them with some extra weight on the bottom, and turned the space heater on them for a while, not too close mind just close enough to warm them. After 20/30 mins turn it off, but leave the weights on for another 30mins+ until it cools, and they are gone.  I've never unrolled them months after to see if they are still gone, but I would assume so....if I get any others like that, I'll take some pics.

Thanks!
Good advice, I didn't think of that. I could see how a little extra warmth would make them slightly more pliable and then the weight just stretches out the wrinkles. I'll give that a try in the future. Thanks!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2015, 06:57:30 PM »
Finding Nemo, 10'x4' (this one is so awesome!):

Impressive!
 cheers

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2015, 08:13:36 PM »
Nice banners Mike..

Masterful approach!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2015, 09:22:05 PM »
That Waines dude is a genius. thumbup