Author Topic: Share Your Top 10 Movie Posters From The Year 2000 & Up In Your Collection!  (Read 6341 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
O.K. some I like...

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
I only have three!

Offline Charlie

• Collector

Happy Go Lucky (not my image either)

I've got this one! It's a little beat up but I always thought it hard to find.

I loved this movie.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Happy-Go-Lucky is a great film! I love that line that Sally Hawkins treads of being infuriating and irritating, but still so likeable (to me, anyway). Eddie Marsan is brilliant too.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
Found this one in my collection last night.

One Sheet

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
you're such a big softy Charlie!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
err....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Charlie

• Collector

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
This is tough...top 10 posters (that we own) since 2000.

I gave this a lot of thought because there are sooo many to choose from, but here goes:
(sorry for the stock Photobucket photos, but I'm...uhhh... challenged, y'know...)

I like the American OS (Spartans tossin' Persians off the cliff) and the Queen Gorgo wilding, but this DVD poster for 300 is my favorite paper on the film. It sums up King Leonidas' ferocity quite nicely.

The Olivia De Berardinis art for Bettie Page Reveals All documentary presses all of my buttons, from subject matter to typography and back again.

I consider this American OS for Pan's Labyrinth to be one of the most striking images of modern-day movie poster advertising, period. It is crafted to a 'T' with rich detail and moody color, the horror and the innocence. Still one of the most powerful films in my recent memory.

Watchmen is one of my favorite films ever, and while I love the Japanese poster (Rorschach in front of TV screens) which I don't own, this intl OS features the entire team and fills the bill for me.

This one was tough.  While I'd die a happy man with my cave wallpapered with nothing but Kate as Selene, this intl OS for Underworld 2 might just be my favorite from the series.

Same with Batman. Tossed and turned with which was my favorite from this excellent series. Has to be the first quad.

Being a comic book fan, Marvel needs representation, too. There are an awful lot of cool posters for the Marvel franchise, but this one is simple and powerful. I love it.

Now, where would my top 10 be without Jacko's Kong?  I think the series of posters for this film is one of the best ad campaigns of modern-day cinema and it is so difficult for me to pick my fave.  So, I'm going with the final US OS, which showcases the stars of the show just right.

Here's a real guilty pleasure. I liked this film and as a student of mythology, I had to have this stunning portrait of Perseus astride Pegasus, sword drawn for battle.

This is a toss-up.  I really like Iron Man. I think Downey's interpretation of Tony Stark is absolutely perfect (so did others, as Downey earned more money last year than any other actor or actress).  I don't really appreciate modern-day clusterf*uck montage posters, so like my Batman Begins quad and the Cap teaser, the simplicity of form and dazzling color on both the bus shelter and subway poster puts these right in my Top 10(11).

I might have to do my top10 Honorable Mentions a little later, that is if anyone is interested in my simple tastes.
Dr. Quimbucket says I should consider it as its 'good therapy.'
 cheers
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:09:20 PM by brude »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
KONG and Clash are really good, Ted!!

clap clap

-Jeff

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
 thumbsup.gif Love it...thanks for posting Ted, I really like your taste in posters. Post the 10 nearly rans too please!

I've never seen that Iron Man subway before, it's very cool. I like the subway poster format, it's like a giant quad!

I like the Pan's Lab poster too...I was looking at my quad the other day which is a similar design. It has a couple of little details hidden away that I hadn't noticed before, like the tiny Faun hiding out in the trees in the background

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Never noticed that on the quad, Tob. How cool is that?
Here's an original Spanish one-sheet for the film that I was lucky to snag before they disappeared.
Check out all the characters worked into the underbrush.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
Your US one sheet for Pan's Labyrinth was my favourite Ted - until I saw your Spanish version! Even more evocative of this great film.

Mark

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Thanks, Mark.
This was another title I had a hard time choosing a favorite because they are all so good.
From what I've heard, Del Toro is very involved with with the marketing of his movies, right down to poster design.
The other that I was going to post was this Aussie OS that Ves tracked down for me.

I have to drop that lady a line.  She is one of the nicest and most helpful people I have met in this hobby.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Ves is still a diamond, Ted. She recently helped me out with a tube of Australian goodness and went out of her way to get a poster from another dealer for me to include in the tube. She's a gem!

I'm jealous of those two! I have the Aus one sheet, but it's folded and I have been chasing the Spanish for a while with no joy (the closest I have got is a reprint that was mis-listed). Very nice indeed.

At the risk of turning this into a Pan's Labyrinth thread, I love the Japanese and German posters for the film. The Japanese poster's tone is very different to all the other posters, but I like that it shows the happier side of Ofelia's imagination/fantasies. I like the German as I'm a big fan of Mike Mignola's style. Lots of good posters for the film...a cool campaign for a great film IMO.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Those 2 PANS are both fantastic, Tob!   clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
They sure are beautiful, Tob.
I'm curious about your top 10.
You putting a post together?

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Those 2 PANS are both fantastic, Tob!   clap clap clap

Thanks Jeff!! :)

Ok Ted, here are mine. They'd probably change if I tried to do this again tomorrow, but I do really like these 10:

Amelie (2001), Japanese B1. I've always thought this captures the whimsical nature of the film perfectly.

Requiem for a Dream (2000), UK Quad

The Prestige (2006), International One Sheet

Mulholland Dr (2001), Japanese B1

Moon (2009), this one is a bit of a cheat as it's a repro litho that's 27 x 39" and was signed by Duncan Jones (numbered out of 100)...but I'm including it as I can't find a one sheet and I prefer the one sheet design to the quad (I actually like the Mondo poster the best though). The paper stock is thick and the print quality is fantastic.

Lost in Translation (2003), US One Sheet

In the Mood for Love (2000), Japanese B1. This version has no eirin mark in the bottom right corner, but I recently tracked down the version with the eirin mark (after many years of hunting). I haven't had a chance to take a photo yet, so this version will do.

The Dark Knight (2008), German A1

Under the Skin (2013), UK Quad. Or the one sheet...love them both. And Akiko Stehrenberger's beautiful design, but thought I'd stick to theatrical posters

Kill Bill Vol 2 (2004), Japanese B1

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 06:36:28 PM by Tob »

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
These are all fantastic! The Amelie B1 has been on my acquisition list for the longest time. Can't seem to find one decent copy and with the repros floating around it's hard not to be wary.

I see the consistency in your favouritism of posters of concentric circles  :P (Requiem not so much as circles but to that effect)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:02:12 PM by jtoh014 »
J

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
awesome Tob....I have to revamp my weak selection after seeing yours. clap         nixing that limitation in my original post ----> "I went with all US one sheets and nothing too terribly rare"

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
I knew your 10 would be killer, Tob.
Well done, sir.
 cheers

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Thanks chaps!  :)

Jason - yeah, do a top 10 of non-US posters!

I see the consistency in your favouritism of posters of concentric circles  :P (Requiem not so much as circles but to that effect)

Ha ha, good spot! I am partial to geometric patterns