Author Topic: Alamo posters,whats the big deal?  (Read 11108 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Alamo posters,whats the big deal?
« on: June 24, 2010, 10:48:24 AM »
Can someone explain the fascination with Alamo posters ?, i just cant see it myself. Most of them are poorly drawn,much like third year art students would do. IMHO
 Is it just because they are limited print or is there something else ?
Thanks
Stew

Adz931

Re: Alamo posters,whats the big deal?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:04:34 AM »
In my opinion, the Alamo posters are brilliant.

They show different art and I suppose that coupled with the rarity of them make them all so popular.

Adam

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:16:37 PM »
Stew,

There are a lot of them that are poorly drawn, yet for some people that is why they enjoy them because it is true art form from the artist. For example, I think Jay Ryan's work falls into this category which I don't enjoy as much as other collectors. A Nightmare on Elm Street poster that I have may look like a chop shop to many people but to me it reminds me of a Van Gough type piece mixed with a little of the Expressionism art movement which later had an influence on Film Noir and darker stories. But I've spent a lot of time in museums so that might be one reason I like some of the posters that other collectors don't.

A Nightmare on Elm St.

Another example of a poster is the Terminator poster that has Sarah Conner's face on it with a infrared gun sight dot on her face. Not many people picked this poster up when it was released but if you actually see this poster in person it looks pretty cool. But really you have to go beyond that and feel the poster. The artist used a technique that starts out with smooth gloss paper and it goes into a raised dots off the paper, very much like something I would see in a museum. I personally really dig Tyler Stout, Todd Slater, and Martin Ansin's work. But they are different styles with different view point in order to capture what the film is to them.

Terminator

My Tyler Stout Collection

In all honesty, you truly have to see one of these posters in person to understand the print quality and the poster itself. Many of them are made with metallic inks that are soaked into a thicker paper more along the lines of card stock so they are more durable. Many times the artist takes something from the movie that is very integral to the film itself and the fans that love the film. So when you see some of the work you get it more than many others because you know the intricate details of the film itself. The said thing is that many pictures just don't capture essence of these posters. Another major draw for them by collectors is that so many reprints are being made like crazy and it is damn near impossible to fake one of these posters. It would require a lot work to do so.

A lot of these posters have a very nice look to them or some kind of extra something that's put into the artwork. For example, with my Field of Dreams poster if you stand over to the side the players in the field vanish and then as you walk more to the front they pop up and become visible. This makes a lot of sense for anyone who has seen the movie about how the players are ghosts - spirits.

Field of Dreams

The Goldfinger poster is really cool because if you are looking at that poster in low light all you can see is Sean Connery's face made up with gold bars on a black poster (which has metallic ink used on that section) If you put more light onto the poster then you can see in the black area that it is made up of film negative screen shots from the movie.

Goldfinger

Several of the posters have glow in the dark ink used on them such as the Alien posters and the Gremlins poster. The Good The Bad and The Ugly panels are truly amazing and capture the famous show down in the graveyard at the end of the movie with shots of each actors face, being Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach.

The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Gremlins

Remember The Alamo poster is a fun poster because any major fan of film who has seen a TON of films and knows pop culture will see many things in the art. You can find characters from several B movies in the artwork. I have a close up shot of a small section of this poster on my website so that you get an idea of what I'm talking about. This makes it fun for any movie enthusiast who can spend hours going through the art looking at all the movie references within the piece.

Remember The Alamo

Hopefully this helps shed some light on why several of us collect Alamo posters. I have several other silk screen prints that aren't part of the Alamo collection that have great work on them as well.

My Other Silk Screen Posters

Chad

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 12:20:46 PM »
You know, Stew, I used to be like you at first.  There were very few Alamo posters I liked, except for the ones of Tyler Stout.  That was 2-3 years ago.  Tyler had just done The Thing and Blade Runner.  Then Martin Ansin came along, and a few others, and I fell in love with some of these artists.  I agree, some are still too much hyped, but a lot of them are really cool.

Check this batch...  Tell me which ones you think are poorly drawn....

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 12:30:33 PM »
Its probably because ive never seen one in real life that im baffled by them, however the Field of dreams and The Good The Bad The Ugly examples are fantastic.
Alot of the posters do seem to portray the essence of the film instantly,maybe i`ll get it eventually.

Ta Guys
Stew

Adz931

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »
I still envy your collection, Chad.
Very nice indeed.

Adam

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 02:14:58 PM »
Stew, I also have never been a big fan of the Alamo posters.  I have seen the Gremlins and Aliens II posters in person and was very unimpressed (although the glow in the dark concept was very cool). 

However, I do like the Ansin posters (Phanton, Metropolis) but I have not seen them in person.  I'm hoping the Star Trek will be first-rate. 

But you have to give Alamo credit for breathing new life into the collecting field.  I do wish somebody would make full-size 27x40 mylar posters like Kilian did in the late 80s/early 90s.

Have you collected any of the British Film Institute re-release quads?  That's next on my collecting list.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »
Ive been looking for a nice Salo, Mel.
Maybe i will track one down one of these days,but putting it up on the wall may be a different story  :)

Stew

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »
Yeah, this is another field I wouldn't recommend either.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 03:21:56 PM »

The BFI quads?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 03:33:59 PM »

Mondo stuff

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »
You know, Stew, I used to be like you at first.  There were very few Alamo posters I liked, except for the ones of Tyler Stout.  That was 2-3 years ago.  Tyler had just done The Thing and Blade Runner.  Then Martin Ansin came along, and a few others, and I fell in love with some of these artists.  I agree, some are still too much hyped, but a lot of them are really cool.

Check this batch...  Tell me which ones you think are poorly drawn....

I think that Doyle is amateurish at best. 

The overly cartoon style of Millward has yet to even mildily impress (out cartooning Burton is not agood idea).

Ansin's Phantom is a clear high-water mark, way above the rest of his work.

Stout's work is overly repetitve.  Stout's work is overly repetitve.  It's also rather gutless - throwing the kitchen sink at a poster guarantees that most everyone gets their favorite moment or image, while having to distill the essence of a picture into a single image is a much more risky proposition.  One that I like to reward when it's successful.  This doesn't mean that I don't like his work (I have three of his prints, probably his three best - Thing regular, Blade Runner variant and Inglourious Bastards regular), but I do think that he get far more credit than what he's due and it would be a near miracle if I ever purchased another...

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 11:36:01 PM »
I still envy your collection, Chad.
Very nice indeed.

Adam

Thanks bud, I really enjoy a lot these posters.

Chad

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 01:47:43 AM »
what do people who like/love alamo posters think of the signed and numbered posters, does the NUMBER make a difference to value/desirability?

I have to admit I am not what you would call a fan, I have 3, I had a few more but they are sold. I like the king kong for its artwork.

but i was looking today, and the eraserhead I have is number 1 of 30.

ugly poster for a great film, but even me as a non fan, i kinda liked it being #1.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 03:08:10 AM »
Chad,
That's the best way!  :)

Ari,
From a printers point of view, not mine, it actually doesn't matter what number the print is.
The reason is because the print that is signed #1 could be the 50th print pulled from the press, or vice-versa.
I know this from the lithographs I have.

However, lower or special numbers tend to command higher prices in some cases when put up for sale, such as when there are large print runs, the print numbered '7' for James Bond, and of course print #1 like what you have!

Nevertheless, personally I think having print #1 is always cool! And it will always sell at a premium!
I bet the Goldfinger Alamo poster would sell for stupid money if #7 ever came up for sale!
Best wishes,
Adam

Meansheets

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 11:58:13 AM »
Personally, I only collect pre-80's original posters -- but I came across these cool Alamo-esque "reworked" posters on Etsy from UK artist, Claudia Varosio, at $19 a pop!

http://meansheets.com/2010/12/15/etsy-meets-alamo-drafhouse/