Author Topic: Insert restoration advice needed for newbie please :)  (Read 7952 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Insert restoration advice needed for newbie please :)
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »
If archival and acid free hinges are used to attach the poster to the acid free backing board with an archival adhesive, (like those used on expensive etchings, for example, when framed), these should pose no problem or cause damage or staining to any kind of poster.

But like anything, it all depends on making sure that the proper materials are used by a framer. And if one thinks that they may swap out posters in that frame, then this may not be the best method.

But if in a permanent frame, i would think it would be fine.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 04:41:24 PM »
Let's say you would like to remove that poster on your own (perhaps to frame something else) at some point.

I'd agree if were anything but a Star Wars Insert.  I'm probably the only person in the world that regularly rotates one of those back into storage :)

BTW, also surprised that the term 'minty white' hasn't come up yet concerning these inserts.
-Jay-

darthbooth1978

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 05:21:51 PM »
I'd agree if were anything but a Star Wars Insert.  I'm probably the only person in the world that regularly rotates one of those back into storage :)

BTW, also surprised that the term 'minty white' hasn't come up yet concerning these inserts.
Ha that is the stuff of my nightmares. It took a lot of getting burnt with some of these inserts to finally get the real deal. Think I could write a book on these bloody inserts now  :D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 10:31:25 PM »

Didn't want to open that particular:

Chris

guest4531

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 01:52:26 AM »
If archival and acid free hinges are used to attach the poster to the acid free backing board with an archival adhesive, (like those used on expensive etchings, for example, when framed), these should pose no problem or cause damage or staining to any kind of poster.

But like anything, it all depends on making sure that the proper materials are used by a framer. And if one thinks that they may swap out posters in that frame, then this may not be the best method.

But if in a permanent frame, i would think it would be fine.

Yep, indeed, not all adhesive are bad !!

These seems to be the ones you must use for "giclee" paper type - http://www.dickblick.com/products/lineco-abaca-self-adhesive-hinging-tape/ - as you don't need to humidify it.  This said, few tiny hinges is enough, no need to go full length :p

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 10:35:09 AM »
Erik,

Just curious, what was the Haggard scandal? If you don't mind providing a little cinema poster collecting history.

Thanks, ???
Rudy

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 11:07:40 AM »
Erik,

Just curious, what was the Haggard scandal? If you don't mind providing a little cinema poster collecting history.

Thanks, ???
Kerry Haggard was a member of our community who worked at the higher levels.  He was convicted of counterfeiting expensive universal horror lobby cards through a complicated scheme that involved removing images from less valuable cards of the same period and printing new images on them of valuable cards.  Here are a couple of threads from the time which have some detailed links.

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,706.0.html
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,4081.0.html
-Jay-

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »
Erik,

Thanks, ???
I remember back in the day,all this talk of minty whites and the like,it takes a lot of research to find out about this sort of stuff.