Author Topic: Star Wars Style C Chantrell Pre Oscar Quad For Trade  (Read 6905 times)

scartacus

Star Wars Style C Chantrell Pre Oscar Quad For Trade
« on: June 19, 2010, 05:22:35 AM »
For Trade: Style C Star Wars quad. The post awards quad is quite common but availability on the first release original quad is getting rarer by the day. Art by Chantrell.

The paper is a very good conditon: one tiny cross fold separation. It does have three areas with tape on the front of the poster. I'm guessing that another piece of paper was attached to the front of the poster, because the poster doesn't have any tears in the place where the tape is -- but I would have thought that the tape could be got off by a professional restorer. There are a few mms of paper missing in the bottom right corner, and a tear in the bottom left hand corner, though the scuffed paper is still attached so could be put back in place if the poster was linen backed.

Despite these issues, the poster displays very nicely and the Chantrell Style C iconic art is a real knockout.

regarding a trade: I'm interested in all sorts, particularly older quads and one sheets: war movies, epics, Hitchcock, vintage disney, noir and I've got a real weakness for David Lean movies. I also collect 70s and earlier Chantrell-designed posters. I would consider a really nice large French one panel. Or a top vintage Aus daybill as I have a spare frame just waiting to be filled. I would also look at a trade for a group of lesser value quads if they were in my collecting ballpark.

scartacus

Re: Star Wars Style C Chantrell Pre Oscar Quad For Trade
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 05:23:46 AM »
more pics

scartacus

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 05:24:47 AM »
More pics

scartacus

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 05:30:17 AM »
PS Still looking for a linen backed 70s or pre 70s three sheet poster

guest8

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 07:09:16 AM »
What is one of these worth if someone were to just outright buy it? (you can PM me if youd prefer)

scartacus

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 08:57:10 AM »
I'd say a excellent pre-oscars quad would go privately for £400 (£800 at a dealer)Due to the tape issues I'd value this at £250-300

guest8

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 11:58:45 AM »
Thanks for posting the info ... this just goes to remind me why i have so few SW quads ... i think most of the intl art is better and format on these seems to fit the artwork better imo and the quads are generally harder to come by .. alas with us closing on a house this month i guess ill just have to leave these on my want list ...:(

scartacus

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 01:41:27 PM »
I agree on the quad format being a better fit for the style c artwork. Chantrell plied his trade designing quads, and that landscape ratio makes the most of those blasters and light sabers.

scartacus

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 03:39:59 PM »
AN UPDATE ON THIS POSTER: I've sent it to Dario Casadei to get the tape off.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 05:48:19 PM »
With or without having it backed?  I'm still interested to find out what level of restoration is possible without having a poster backed. 

I remember a while back Bruce sold a Lawrence of Arabia pre-awards 'A' that was damn near mint.  Apparently the seller even had the folds professionally pressed somehow without having it backed!?!  Just check out the image below and tell me if you see evidence of folds... by the way, it sold for $11k!

How much does that cost and do they use heat to do it?  Maybe Dario can press yours as well to minimize the extra fold?

scartacus

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »
We're going to see what we can do without backing -- the main issue is the tape, the rest of the poster is in pretty good condition.

Thanks for the tip on flattening the folds -- I'll ask Dario and pass on any nuggets.

Oh and Harry -- are you trying to upset me by showing me that Lazza one sheet? If only...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 06:33:34 PM »
I thought you only wanted the quad  ;)

scartacus

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »
Now you've really got me going...