Author Topic: Hard lessons learned on Ebay  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Hard lessons learned on Ebay
« on: June 18, 2010, 12:23:26 PM »
I suggest this be a sticky topic.

I've been an Ebay member for almost 10 years. I've learned quite a few things over the years "the hard way" as I'm sure many of you have. I want to start a list of Ebay advice for newbies and veterans alike. I'll start with these:

1) Never, under ANY circumstance, agree to an "off Ebay" transaction for an item that was listed on Ebay. In one auction alone, I lost $100 into thin air because I agreed to an off Ebay transaction. I must note the seller at tons of 100% positive feedback to boot. There is zero protection when going this route. At least by going through Ebay you have a slight chance of getting your money back should something go wrong.

2) Beware of expensive items that don't have a return policy. Now, expensive is subjective, but it my opinion it would be anything over $20, but your level of risk tolerance may be higher.

3) Completely forget about buyers or sellers leaving you feedback. The whole system is broken so don't try to fix it. What I usually do is when I'm buying something, leave positive feedback only when the item is received and in the same condition as described. If the seller doesn't return the positive feedback then move on. If I'm selling, I'll wait until the buyer leaves positive feedback before I do. This way the buyer has an incentive to leave you feedback.

4) Keep all communication with other members professional and to a minimum. Never, under ANY circumstances, send another Ebay member any sort of derogatory message. If something goes wrong, and the situation can't be resolved in a professional manner, proceed directly to the Ebay claims process if you are the buyer.

5) Never expect that another member will be just and professional. The odds are that they won't be, but you still have to be.

6) Never assume that your package will arrive safely. If you truly want it to arrive safely demand insurance. I usually send polite packing instructions as well.

7) Don't assume you will "remember" to bid on an auction. The only certain way is to bid in advance. Lately, if I see a good deal, I'll enter a low bid to cover the risk of forgetting about the auction and, if I remember, later come back and enter my snipe bid.

8) If you are selling, and you are shipping with a method that allows for delivery confirmation, always get it. It's well worth the extra few cents for piece of mind.

9) If you are shipping anything over $50, always get insurance regardless if the buyer requested it or not, again, for piece of mind.

10) Always pack items as if you were the ones receiving them.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Hard lessons learned on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 09:37:38 PM »
Words to live by.  Not a bad list really...
Chris

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Re: Hard lessons learned on Ebay
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
11) If you are the buyer filing a claim, after you open the case online, call Customer Service to tell them what happened. Your odds of winning increase if you speak to a live person about your problem.