Author Topic: FRAMING EMERGENCY -- opinions needed!!!!!  (Read 8575 times)

Taskenlander

FRAMING EMERGENCY -- opinions needed!!!!!
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:03:51 PM »
A tad dramatic, I apologize, but I just dropped off the LAST TWO posters for my mancave to be framed this afternoon and now I'm OCD-ing on the frame colors I went with (both flat black basic 'strips'). I went with black to play it 'safe' but now I am second guessing myself and just wanted to get a few other poster lover/collector's opinions as I'm contemplating calling the shop back Tuesday morning and changing my original metal strip color choices.

Here's the two posters in question, along w/ the two strip color choices I'm now battling between:

Flat Black or Frosted Gold?

The SPR poster is going to be displayed alongside a full battle geared SPR mannequin (dressed mostly OD green and khaki in color).

Flat Black or Silver?

Aliens poster will be displayed with this above it:

Neither poster would have a matt. My walls are like an off, mother of pearl, white. I have so many black framed posters in my room already, just wondered if the gold and silver would better make these prints POP. I felt rushed in the frame shop..

So having said all that -- Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Mike  :)

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:06:16 PM by Taskenlander »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: FRAMING EMERGENCY -- opinions needed!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:22:17 PM »
My preference is always wood(my tastes are for older style, don't much like modern anything) , but failing that I would go black- let the poster be the focus. I wouldn't go for gold or silver myself. But its all very personal.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 10:36:26 PM »
I wouldnt change a thing...go with it! Sounds great!

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 11:07:44 PM »
While other colors and frame styles can definitely look good with the right piece, I don't think you can ever go wrong with a plain black frame.

A simple black frame will not end up looking dated in ten years, and it will look good on any wall color, with any decor, etc.

So if it were me I would feel good about black.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 11:17:09 PM »
Mike,

For those 2 posters and what they will be "going with" and your wall color... black is the way to go...

Silver or gold would look too over the top for these 2 posters and their themes, imo.

thumbsup.gif to black!

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 12:13:48 AM »
I too am a fan of the basic black frame.  Looks good (and neutral) in either metal or wood.  Cannot go wrong with standard black in my opinion...
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 12:26:58 AM »
In reality the frame should be unobtrusive as they weren't really made to be framed as such. I like frames though so don't mind a bit of fancy ness.  But usually I wouldn't go for colour. Except wood colour.
Saying that a house devoted to science fiction would be good with silver metal frames. But is do everything in stainless steel as a whole theme. Ya know ? I have a friend in Sydney whose house is like a 60s SF movie set and it all goes together great. I prefer dust and cobwebs and Wood for me though.
An Error Has Occurred!

Taskenlander

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 12:56:02 AM »
Wow. I am truly surprised by the overall preference of just solid black. Thanks for the comments thus far. Am beginning to think i did the right thing w/ just the solid black. Though, sometimes colored frames work just as good IMO. Just a delicate balance of aesthetics and 'tackiness' I suppose.

Thanks again, and for those who haven't chimed in on the matter yet -- please feel free to. Always interested in hearing what other collectors have to say as in the way of framing. :)

Mike

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 12:58:10 AM »
That 60s sci-fi theme sounds cool, Ari.  Complete with fembots?  8)

I think some paintings, photos, etc. are more impressive in a natural wood or stylish frame with nice matting.  However, I think a lot of posters are cooler when they're in a more basic setup, as they have a little more of a gritty, walking past the theater, street art kinda vibe, instead of a refined art gallery or museum vibe.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:59:06 AM by NeoLoco »

Mirosae

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 04:45:01 AM »
Different viewpoint.

Saving private ryan: frosted gold. It is military themed  so  metal and a bit rough will look best and it suits the colours of the poster.

aliens: Black. And wooden. And for that one i might consider a black matt to enhance the art work and visual of being out there lost in space. Definitely black.

I tend to go for black...but some posters i think look better with a slightly different frame.

I'm sure whatever you pick it will look fantastic!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 05:38:57 AM »
The posters on my walls all date from the 1940's - 1950's and I have used simple contemporary magnolia-coloured frames for all of them - the same colour as the walls. This makes the poster the dominant object, not the frame. As Ari said, posters were not meant to be framed.

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 08:14:35 AM »
Not quite sure I'd agree with that statement Mark. Posters were "framed" in box's outside and in at Cinemas. We may not call them frames, display cases usually, but they do the same job. Display.

Like any piece of art/print/photo to go on walls around the home, frame choice has to be right for the individual living with it, so it is a very personal choice.

Personally I like wood, the ones in my poster room are matt black due to the other colours in there, but around the house we have a lot of mahogany, and walnut wood, so I go for mahogany frames with a gold inlay on the inside of frame. I hate large frames, so a subtle 1"-1 1/4" frame is all.  I also hate to see a Matte, or surround inside inside the frame, there's no need...

I'd, like to see some pics of yours Mark if possible, you have me curious now...

The Saving Private Ryan would look best with a Matt Black frame as it would extend the black from the bottom to around the poster, so I'm sure you made the right choice. It will look quite the ticket.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 03:15:37 PM »
Satin black wood.

Taskenlander

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 03:24:02 AM »
Thank you again to everyone for the feedback. I agree that Aliens should certainly be framed in matt black, but am still on the fence of SPR...  :-\

My brain says black, but I still think flat gold *could* make it a little more visually interesting and it IS my favorite film, so that, the gold, might add emphasis to that and make it stand out from the myriad of other posters I have in my room. Hmmm...

MUST. MAKE. DECISION...  :(

Mirosae

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 04:13:37 AM »
Just a thought...you could visualise it by using an online framer to help you choose the frame. Just add the pic of the poster and the frame you think you like. At least it will give you an idea. You can do it on your mobile if you have one app for photos. It really helps to see it with different frames.  Chances are, whichever you pick, i'm sure it'll look great.

Taskenlander

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 10:05:24 AM »
Haha. I did that just last night! :p

Mirosae

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 10:16:06 AM »
Yes. Perfect! You've got my vote there thumbsup.gif

standing alone....but it is a yes from me!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »
A bit befuddled here, so I haven't answered.  Mostly because there is more to it than the poster being framed.  I look at the other posters in the group, the surrounding wall and furniture and the intended use of the room.

I would not choose a chrome frame in my theater.  I would not a black frame in a child's bedroom.  And so on.  I think those choices are more important than matching the frame to the poster.
-Jay-

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »
Haha. I did that just last night! :p

Now post one with a Black Frame...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »
There was a new member who posted a few months ago. He had some connection with a framing shop and he posted examples of different frames he had selected for his posters. I was impressed with his choices and I think I made a positive comment to that effect. I can't seem to find it now.

Mark

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »
I think you might have been remembering this chap, Mark?

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,7449.0.html

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff for trying to locate it - there are some great frame choices in the linked thread - but I was actually thinking of another thread where the member did comment on his connection to a framing company.

Mark

Taskenlander

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 11:34:10 PM »
The Gold and Black frames side by side:

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 12:15:17 AM »
VOTE ONE BLACK.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 12:38:05 AM »
Black...Like Ari said, all the focus should be on what's in it.
Ves