Author Topic: In need of Clerks Poster  (Read 32423 times)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Re: In need of Clerks Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »
Well, Jason, it's none of your business to tell a guy that "the vast majority of these for sale are the reprints," implying that his poster is probably a reprint, although he just said it's a legit one.  The next time you make a claim like that, afterward just say "and I base that on absolutely nothing," or provide some statistical analysis that supports it.

rofl1 rofl1 rofl1 rofl1

This is the last comment that I'll make to you since you've decided to go full troll...

I don't have to justify jack shit to you. Go police someone else.  Better yet, stay out unless you have something to actually ADD to the discussion.  My comments were not to you or for you.  You are carrying serious extra baggage into this thread (as you have in several other threads that I've posted) and I'm tired of your continued trolling.

I was 'implying' the need to double check this particular poster because it goes beyond the usual 'check for reprints' discussion. The reprint is very close to the original and since it was sold in theaters a number of people that have a poster that 'came from a theater', actually have a reprint, whether they know it or not. Even Kevin Smith himself was selling the reprints from his website - usually signed.  The Stash only cared that they had something to sell. This was a poster that Dan R. checked into and Dave L. (Cinemasterpieces) bought his copies and wrote up the differences, but seems to have removed it from his website.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to keep the Clerks One Sheet regression analysis proprietary...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:57:41 PM by archie leach »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 05:44:10 PM »
It's ok guys, I'm 99% sure it's real, I haven't been doing it long but I have picked up a few "skillz" along these past couple years lol. Thanks for the concern though, if it turns out it isn't real then it's ok, it's not something I'm planning to ever sell or get rid of, love the movie and I'm looking forward to the experience of the con itself

Very glad to hear.  I love the movie also and saw it twice opening week - I had to bring a bunch of friends the second time...  The con sounds like a good time...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 06:13:01 PM »
Jason, you go into threads, and say how there are all these reprints for certain posters, and claim that the ones people have or are selling "may be reprints," yet you have done no authentications specifying the differences, and how to spot an original from the ones you claim to be reprints.  Your regular jumping in on threads and saying "there are so many reprints of this poster and this one may be one of them," without actually explaining anything, is certainly not adding anything to the discussion.  It would be a lot better if you start authentication threads, and actually provide something positive.  When you mentioned the Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction 40x60s (39x55s) that were verified by several people as commercial posters, that was good info. http://stylec.yuku.com/topic/5750/Real-Fake-or-Real-Fake-Bruce-Posteritati#.VEWDf8ntiMU
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 07:06:49 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 06:50:48 PM »
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 06:54:28 PM by NeoLoco »

Rage1073

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 04:38:50 AM »
I'm curious as to wether or not there is a website where they show the slight differences between authentic and fake movie posters. That would be something cool to have as a tool

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 05:19:05 AM »
There have been a number of attempts and a ton of discussion on all of the forums, past & present...

http://movieposterauthenticating.com/wordpress/

http://moviepostercollectors.com/Authentications.html

Dave L has some info buried on his site (cinemasterpieces.com) as well.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2014, 09:32:44 AM »
Wow I almost bid on a copy of this on the bay a few weeks ago.  My spidey sense prevented me from doing so, for the reasons outlined in this thread (unilingual french, with english printing info at the bottom)

Could have used this to stick it to the seller.  Would ebay/paypal have "protected me" if I had asked for a refund?  What if the seller sells "as is"?

http://moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_Belgian_Forbidden_Planet.html

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 09:56:53 AM »
Yeah, the moviepostercollectors website Jason mentioned is good, as it shows the subtle differences between easily recognizable reprints, such as the Inception Imax one sheet, and originals.  Some posters are much less easily recognized as being reprints or originals, and there are several examples of those also, at both websites Jason mentioned.

For this Clerks one sheet, Jason claims there are reprints that are “very close to the originals,” “the vast majority of these for sale are the reprints,” and “a number of people that have a poster that 'came from a theater', actually have a reprint.”  That is spreading FUD - fear, uncertainty, and doubt, especially since Jason has not specified any of the differences between originals and the reprints that he claims are “very close to the originals.”  That is the most blatant FUD I've seen on any poster, anywhere, and that’s including all the FUD lines from the Cinemasterpieces listings.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:01:24 AM by NeoLoco »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »
Wow I almost bid on a copy of this on the bay a few weeks ago.  My spidey sense prevented me from doing so, for the reasons outlined in this thread (unilingual french, with english printing info at the bottom)

Could have used this to stick it to the seller.  Would ebay/paypal have "protected me" if I had asked for a refund?  What if the seller sells "as is"?

http://moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_Belgian_Forbidden_Planet.html

Paypal, probably, if it was listed in the original category.  If it was listed the reproductions section you'd be screwed.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:59:00 PM by archie leach »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »
Yeah, the moviepostercollectors website Jason mentioned is good, as it shows the subtle differences between easily recognizable reprints, such as the Inception Imax one sheet, and originals.  Some posters are much less easily recognized as being reprints or originals, and there are several examples of those also, at both websites Jason mentioned.

For this Clerks one sheet, Jason claims there are reprints that are “very close to the originals,” “the vast majority of these for sale are the reprints,” and “a number of people that have a poster that 'came from a theater', actually have a reprint.”  That is spreading FUD - fear, uncertainty, and doubt, especially since Jason has not specified any of the differences between originals and the reprints that he claims are “very close to the originals.”  That is the most blatant FUD I've seen on any poster, anywhere, and that’s including all the FUD lines from the Cinemasterpieces listings.

I only post this as an example since he had a write up on the differences on his website.  If you have questions about them then go ask him yourself you lazy douchebag troll...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:08:23 PM by archie leach »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 02:03:46 PM »
I'm curious as to wether or not there is a website where they show the slight differences between authentic and fake movie posters. That would be something cool to have as a tool

I should mention that part of the problem with having these sites, is that the bootleggers/reprinters were using them to make better fakes - it was part of the reason that Dan R. shut down his site, which was the grandfather of the current authentication sites.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 02:22:12 PM »
Paypal, probably, if it was listed in the original category.  If it was listed the reproductions section you'd be screwed.

Despite the endless trolling of a blathering idiot,

Jason, the claims you made that I quoted above, as well as your personal attacks on me, are the biggest troll comments one could make on a poster forum.  

Why would you say all that about the Clerks poster here, and not do any authentications, to make a positive contribution?  It's clear why Cinemasterpieces says things like "there are known reprints...," and various other FUD statements in their listings.  

Why you would make all those claims here, and in such a way, is unclear, unless those are your one sheets on consignment at Cinemasterpieces, or you are unwilling to do the write up yourself.

Are you saying that because "bootleggers/reprinters" can make better fakes if one were to specifically detail how to spot an original from a reprint, that's why you're not sharing that info.?  If that's the case, why are you posting links to authentication sites?  

Would you tell people through private messages how to spot a reprint or original Clerks one sheet, or any other that you allegedly know about?  Cinemasterpieces actually has a big section about how they don't authenticate posters for people by phone or email, and the only time they authenticate posters is when people are sending them in to sell or put on consignment.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:27:27 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 02:37:04 PM »
Jason, the claims you made that I quoted above, as well as your personal attacks on me, are the biggest troll comments one could make on a poster forum.  

Why would you say all that about the Clerks poster here, and not do any authentications, to make a positive contribution?  It's clear why Cinemasterpieces says things like "there are known reprints...," and various other FUD statements in their listings.  

Why you would make all those claims here, and in such a way, is unclear, unless those are your one sheets on consignment at Cinemasterpieces, or you are unwilling to do the write up yourself.

Are you saying that because "bootleggers/reprinters" can make better fakes if one were to specifically detail how to spot an original from a reprint, that's why you're not sharing that info.?  If that's the case, why are you posting links to authentication sites?  

Would you tell people through private messages how to spot a reprint or original Clerks one sheet, or any other that you allegedly know about?  Cinemasterpieces actually has a big section about how they don't authenticate posters for people.

Because I do not own both an original and a reprint of Clerks.  You know, the two things necessary to make such a comparison.  I never needed to because both Dan and Dave did go through the process (these discussions are now lost with the disappearance of the Movie Poster Talk forum history).  If I knew, offhand, the specific differences then I would have mentioned them at the beginning. Sorry, if I forgot to memorize every little thing they ever did, you pedantic ass.

I'm sure if you or some other newbie sent Dave a PM that he'd be able to help you out.  He may have some questionable sales tactics, but he's not a dick.

I am conveying the general history of this poster that has been discussed on these forums, in detail, since their inception.  It is up the INDIVIDUAL to do THEIR own work or make THEIR own choice as to how beneficial this history is and decide how THEY want to proceed.

Who the fuck are YOU to decide what is and what is and what isn't a positive contribution to this forum?...  

BTW, anyone who continually uses the personal name of someone on these boards who doesn't publicly go by that name is passive-aggressively broaching standard netiquette and, as such, constitues a personal attack and is acting in a douchebag fashion.  But you know this, which is why you are doing it on purpose. So go fuck yourself...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:58:06 PM by archie leach »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 02:45:02 PM »
Like I said, you're just spreading FUD, and launching personal attacks.  The biggest troll things one can do.  Great contribution!  thumbsup.gif

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
Like I thought, you have nothing...  What a sad joke...

Seriously, who the fuck are YOU to decide what is and what is and what isn't a positive contribution to this forum?...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:54:06 PM by archie leach »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 03:02:24 PM »

BTW, anyone who continually uses the personal name of someone on these boards who doesn't publicly go by that name is passive-aggressively broaching standard netiquette and, as such, is acting in a douchebag fashion.  But you know this, which is why you are doing it on purpose. So go fuck yourself...

Isn't Jason your name in real life?  If it really bothers you that much that I call you that, why didn't you say something?

Thanks for the lesson on "netiquette." I appreciate the advice from someone who is so polite and friendly online.  thumbup
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:20:19 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 03:05:28 PM »
 eyeroll

Rage1073

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 03:35:17 PM »
Woah! Don't worry guys it's all good. I appreciate the effort of both of you guys. We should be calm though and discuss this like the gentlemanly poster collectors we are. I may not have that many posters but I feel welcome in this forum and hopefully we can keep it classy. I was just curious about the info on the poster because I wanted to show you guys a picture of what I got and see what you guys think.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »
I hear ya, Rage, and you're welcome. 

Did you meet a lot of the guys from the movie at the signing?

Rage1073

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
Not yet, it's this Saturday and hopefully I can get at least Kevin Smiths autograph on it.

Here's what it looks like

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 06:00:32 PM »
Woah! Don't worry guys it's all good. I appreciate the effort of both of you guys. We should be calm though and discuss this like the gentlemanly poster collectors we are. I may not have that many posters but I feel welcome in this forum and hopefully we can keep it classy. I was just curious about the info on the poster because I wanted to show you guys a picture of what I got and see what you guys think.

This is a continuation from other threads and just happens to have blossomed here and is not really related to you or your poster. Although, I don't see what 'efforts' Neo has contributed other than his persistent and continued trolling, disingenuousness, and insistence that the APF conform to his myopic world view.  He has no information about this poster whatsoever...

As for your poster, I believe that the size of the poster is the touch point, with originals just a smidge bigger.  What those measurement actually are I don't recall. Maybe, if I'd known that there would be a test...  eyeroll

Since you're getting it signed anyway, I would try to get them to place their autographs in spots that don't take way from the image... Also, I would PM Dave (he's listed on here) if you want to be sure.  Best of luck and enjoy the show...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 06:24:48 PM »

He has no information about this poster whatsoever...

The information you have is:
1. "there are VERY GOOD reproductions/reprints" of it.  thumbsup.gif
2. "if you want to know how to spot one, ask Dave at Cinemasterpieces," although his website specifically says he doesn't authenticate posters for people unless people are selling them or consigning them there.  thumbsup.gif
3. A statistic - "the vast majority of these for sale are the reprints," which is most likely based on absolutely nothing.  thumbsup.gif

Dave's stock in his Clerks one sheets probably just skyrocketed thanks to the FUD you've spread here.  Good work!  thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:45:13 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 06:37:35 PM »
Regarding your one sheet, Rage.

Although I don't know the specifics of the alleged "very good" repros of this one, with most repros, the few things you want to look for are:
1. The size - if it's off by more than about 1/16" or so, that may raise a red flag.
2. The sharpness of the images and especially the text - if they're extremely fuzzy, like the Inception IMAX one sheet on MPC, that may raise a red flag.  It looks like you even have a magnifying glass to check that, so that's cool.
3. The double-sided posters are generally easier to spot whether they're repros or not, for reasons mentioned on MPC and elsewhere, but this one was only made single-sided, so that doesn't apply to this one, of course.
4. The cropping, which on this one would be very difficult to tell since the white extends far in from the borders.
5. The colors - which can be very difficult to distinguish an original from a repro, unless they're side by side.
6. The paper - if it feels and smells right for the age of it - something you just know after seeing a lot of originals.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it.  If most of the above look pretty good, then there's likely a high probability that it's an original.

Have fun at the party.  cool1
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:03:56 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 08:45:32 PM »
Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it.  If most of the above look pretty good, then there's likely a high probability that it's an original.

This is a horrible conclusion for this poster.  In general, those are the things to look, but this is not a normal case. 

These were commercial reprints sold at the time of the original release and were even available for purchase in some theaters (kind of like the 50th Anniversary Casablanca, except in that case the commercial posters had a different image than the theatrical one sheet - so there is no confusion).

The reprint for this flooded the market to fill the gap left because, at the time, Miramax was still printing very tight runs (compared with the much larger studio runs).  This changed with Pulp Fiction and the Disney takeover...

Dave, when asked on these forums, usually steps up and helps out. Heck try and find Dan R. he might still have his notes on it.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 02:13:31 PM »
I see what you mean, and despite all the stuff you've said about the alleged "very good" repros, I still think that a commercial reprint would be distinguishable from an original, by many people who have knowledge with this stuff.  It might not be the most easily spotted, but we have to look at potential repros for all posters, and differentiate between them based on facts and/or certain methods.

The scientific part of me looks at some of these statements in this thread, and I weigh them based on their validity.  I have reviewed and done several studies, and each one has some level of reliability, validity, etc.  With that said, I appreciate the history of this stuff, and in this case, you sharing some of the history here.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 04:08:47 PM by NeoLoco »