Author Topic: Magnetacks  (Read 11003 times)

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
Magnetacks
« on: October 06, 2014, 03:21:46 PM »
Hello to everyone,

My posters are piling up and I still haven't pulled the trigger on framing them because the costs are a little scary. 

I just came across this site (i.e. magnetack) and am wondering if anyone has heard of or used this product to hang their posters.  If so, I'd love to hear about your experiences and/or opinion on it.

http://www.themagnetack.com/

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Magnetacks
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »
Looks like an excellent invention.  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 03:35:52 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline syracuselaxfan

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 03:40:11 PM »
These look very cool! They should work well with just a poster, or a poster in a Mylar sleeve. I wonder if they're strong enough to handle the weight and thickness of a poster, sleeve and backing board?
Chris S.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 04:25:04 PM »
What about poster+PET-G overlay?  Should sit a little more flush than a mylar sleeve...

Offline syracuselaxfan

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 04:38:06 PM »
Found this in their FAQ:

" How much "weight" can Magnetacks hold?

The "weight" a Magnetack can hold is highly dependent on the thickness of the item to be held.  Magnets lose their strength the further away they are from their mate.  It is hard to put numbers on this so we've broken it down into examples:

Unframed photos of various sizes.  From A10 all the way up to A0 size. 
Paper-thin items: a single Magnetack can hold up to 20 sheets of copy paper or newspaper pages, or several sheets of photo paper.
Laminated items: a single Magnetack can hold up to 10 laminated sheets of paper (depending on laminate thickness).
A standard unframed poster (24" x 36") can be supported by one Magnetack in each of the top two corners.  However, we recommend one Magnetack in all four corners to prevent the poster from swaying as people walk by or by A/C. 
For items slightly thicker (poster board) or larger size posters (72" x 48"), it may take several Magnetacks placed along the top to hang those up. 
Framed items - unfortunately Magnetacks are not strong enough to hang approximately 99.9% of all framed work.  No, we haven't actually done the math but if you were able to use Magnetacks to hang something framed, please let us know!"

A board and sleeve may work with enough magnets, but i wouldn't trust it with anything valuable?  might have to try this sometime.
Chris S.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 05:11:35 PM »
One thing I would note is to be careful with magnets as they can leave marks.  I rubberized mine as to not leave marks when I photograph them.  you can also buy them coated but usually they are a little too large and powerful when they come factory rubberized.
Its painfully obvious on a white background or border of a poster.

Great find magnetacks! love me some magnets!

Mirosae

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 06:15:34 PM »
One thing I would note is to be careful with magnets as they can leave marks.  I rubberized mine as to not leave marks when I photograph them.  you can also buy them coated but usually they are a little too large and powerful when they come factory rubberized.
Its painfully obvious on a white background or border of a poster.

Great find magnetacks! love me some magnets!

Can I ask? Do you think it could work on a larger poster. I am thinking a large poster, not LBd.   Have you tried on those?

Thanks!

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 07:19:27 PM »
Can I ask? Do you think it could work on a larger poster. I am thinking a large poster, not LBd.   Have you tried on those?

Thanks!

Oh yes you could display yourself with the power of a large size magnet. I have a vinyl billboard sized poster that I have no doubt could be hung in this manner.
Are you shopping for some?  I have been perusing here for some time and tempted by a 2inx2in cube they sell as well
take a gander here lower on the page the stronger they are. get some that arent coated too. dont buy any that are lower than n42 and treat yourself to some that aren't coated. when they touch metal on metal they are super strong especially the ones rated n52
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=164

this site sells some that have countersunk screw holes for affixing them to things.

and wouldnt ya know it they have thumbtack styles too
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=204
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:27:13 PM by jedgerley »

Mirosae

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 03:19:31 AM »
Wow..This is very helpful! Thanks a lot. Yes. I have been nagging a friend for years to put his French (enormous) poster on the wall. He doesn't want to frame it.  So wonder if this might work. It reads like a good option. I will start my new nagging (hehe)

I will try it on my Italian 2P. And thanks for the warning ( marks). I think I will use conservation tape around it...to be on the safe side.

Thanks a lot!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:34:53 AM by Mirosae »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 08:20:14 AM »
I've been meaning to frame up a whole line of eastern european posters along my stairwell and I'll admit these had me intrigued.  But then I remembered why I was wary of magnets in the past....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/21/toy-magnets-safety_n_4138482.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/17/business/for-buckyballs-toys-child-safety-is-a-growing-issue.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/girl-14-part-intestines-removed-swallowing-magnets-article-1.1538636
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/cripe/2014/908730/

There are tons of stories about kids swallowing these things.  Then two of them attract while in different parts of your digestive track -- game over.  Surgery is the only option.  Scary stuff especially considering I have a one year old and a three year old.  The bottom pair of magnets would be accessible to my eldest now and it won't be long before the other one could reach them too.

Sadly, I would avoid these things if you have kids. 

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 09:09:26 AM »
One thing I would note is to be careful with magnets as they can leave marks.  I rubberized mine as to not leave marks when I photograph them. 

I guess you could always put a piece of electrical tape over them to avoid the staining?  what did you use?

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 09:14:24 AM »
Dear God!  Thanks for the head's up...did not know swallowing magnets was so serious.  Definitely a perimeter check when i get home tonight...daughter is all over the place  :-\

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 09:47:02 AM »
I guess you could always put a piece of electrical tape over them to avoid the staining?  what did you use?

I used spraycan of rubber coating schtufff my neighbor had. many options at your local bigbox hardware stores. theres also dip-able products.

Sadly, I would avoid these things if you have kids.  
So very true to point out...

Wow..This is very helpful! Thanks a lot. Yes. I have been nagging a friend for years to put his French (enormous) poster on the wall. He doesn't want to frame it.  So wonder if this might work. It reads like a good option. I will start my new nagging (hehe)

I will try it on my Italian 2P. And thanks for the warning ( marks). I think I will use conservation tape around it...to be on the safe side.

Thanks a lot!!!!!

Are you ordering some? Cool just cover the the one side that touches the paper....makes it a cleaner job.
I have also just used scotch tape on the north or south pole that will touch the paper.  

And when and if I get this property (in the works for 2 years) to restore and habitate :) I definitely plan on using this on many many walls and to have some built in light boxes for the lenticulars to go in.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:48:37 AM by jedgerley »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »
Dear God!  Thanks for the head's up...did not know swallowing magnets was so serious.  Definitely a perimeter check when i get home tonight...daughter is all over the place  :-\

Old school magnets were never much of a problem -- the issue is the new high-power rare earth magnets. 

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 11:15:15 AM »
I used spraycan of rubber coating schtufff my neighbor had. many options at your local bigbox hardware stores. theres also dip-able products.
So very true to point out...

Are you ordering some? Cool just cover the the one side that touches the paper....makes it a cleaner job.
I have also just used scotch tape on the north or south pole that will touch the paper.  

And when and if I get this property (in the works for 2 years) to restore and habitate :) I definitely plan on using this on many many walls and to have some built in light boxes for the lenticulars to go in.

Doesn't work...  After two thick layers the rare earth magnets still slid right off.  I am thinking you would have to do at least 5 layers but at $30/layer/4'x8' area I would just buy a piece of thin sheet metal.

Mirosae

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 11:22:31 AM »
Thanks Jedgerly! Very helpful!!

Charlie. Point taken :-\

I might give them a go..no cats or children at home ...yet...so it should be fine to try them ....Uhm. .. girly2.gif

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 11:24:04 AM »
Doesn't work...  After two thick layers the rare earth magnets still slid right off.  I am thinking you would have to do at least 5 layers but at $30/layer/4'x8' area I would just buy a piece of thin sheet metal.
Ah thanks Charlie that saved me quite a bit of work in the future.  I will now probably scuff up some sheet metal in various zones and then skim coat the areas when the drywall goes up.
thanks again, saved me time and money too!

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 12:21:57 PM »
Ah thanks Charlie that saved me quite a bit of work in the future.  I will now probably scuff up some sheet metal in various zones and then skim coat the areas when the drywall goes up.
thanks again, saved me time and money too!

I should clarify that it was sketchy but effective for small paper.  But when you put up a OS, it just slid down.  Forget anything cardstock.