Author Topic: how should I store a rolled Linenbacked poster?  (Read 6847 times)

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
how should I store a rolled Linenbacked poster?
« on: September 30, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »
Should I just keep it rolled until its ready to frame? Or lay it out flat?

Also is a linenbacked poster framed any differently then a regular poster? Should I question the framer about it before I take it in, so I know there not using duct tape or something haha.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: how should I store a rolled Linenbacked poster?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 09:42:58 PM »
Aj- If your framer even mentions using duct tape during the conversation.. roll up your poster and get outta there as fast as you can...  sad.gif

And I have several linen backed posters, including a French 1P, that I have rolled.. and they all seem just fine.  :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:46:05 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 09:59:31 PM »
Aj- If your framer even mentions using duct tape during the conversation.. roll up your poster and get outta there as fast as you can...  sad.gif

And I have several linen backed posters, including a French 1P, that I have rolled.. and they all seem just fine.  :D

Haha im sure they wouldnt use duct tape, but I always grill my local framers about how they frame posters and matte them...etc. but I never had a linenbacked poster framed, and Im curious if there is any difference.

As for storage: Cool, Ill keep it rolled then.  I still need to get some pics posted for everyone to see.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:02:50 PM »
I have them rolled and flat
flat is better if you have the right storage, but obviously larger posters this poses a challenge

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »
Most of my pieces on linen is the bigger stuff, so in the tubes they sit.

You should be ok rolled, I would always error on the side of rolling as big as you can, in the widest tube you can find...let it breathe a bit.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 11:22:20 PM »
I have them rolled and flat
flat is better if you have the right storage, but obviously larger posters this poses a challenge

So if space wasn't an issue, should I just put it in a mylar sleeve and or between paper and just leave it?

Most of my pieces on linen is the bigger stuff, so in the tubes they sit.

You should be ok rolled, I would always error on the side of rolling as big as you can, in the widest tube you can find...let it breathe a bit.

Got it. Thanks.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 01:24:56 AM »
So if space wasn't an issue, should I just put it in a mylar sleeve and or between paper and just leave it?

I do it different ways and never had any issues

1) just lay each one flat on top of the other. just don't slide the top one against the one below as the linen is an abrasive
2) use some type of paper between each. this can be kraft paper or any other type, depending on how much time it will be stored. the longer the storage specification, the more you you move towards deacidified stock
3) I most often use a one sheet plastic bag as a separator. Note that I do not ever under circumstance store flat posters inside a bag unless it also has a board. without a board, every time you handle the poster you will leave some measure of handling defect behind, no matter how careful you are

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 01:44:43 AM »
Flat is aways best. looking at the basics, it's two things suck together. If you roll them they will naturally want to slide to a different position as the diameters change. As they are glued, it could cause wrinkling, or separation in small areas. So the smart thing would be to leave it flat. Especially if you have the choice/space they are made to be flat, so leave them that way.

I store all my backed stuff flat......Just in case.. :) 
It's more than a Hobby...

guest4251

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 01:57:16 AM »
If you can store them flat, great! Keep in mind that Linen have a bit of Tooth. So a bit of acid free paper in between is recommended.
If you are going to store them rolled, as loosely as possible.
Cool, dry and low humidity.

Best,
dario.

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 12:03:35 AM »
Awesome, thanks for all the info everyone. I really appreciate it.