Author Topic: Danish Top Hat.  (Read 3599 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Danish Top Hat.
« on: September 25, 2014, 10:18:44 AM »
I posted something over in the "what don't you collect" thread on this danish To Hat poster

Jeff posted back:
ay..a little off track of the thread.. so this will be the last thing about your Top Hat poster.

A couple things that caught my eye and a couple things uncovered that may suggest that this is a later RR poster:

1. The poster is lacking any production credits, director's name or other actors. If one looks on any first release poster, this info is usually present. This poster has just the title, the 2 lead actor's names only, and the titles of what had become popular Berlin songs from the film.

2. The tag line in Danish, in the upper right, translates to "The all time funniest dance film."  New film posters will often make claims like this.. and here, too, it could have been a pure marketing hook to lure in audiences. Or was it added there in the 1950s, after the film had been out for almost 20 years and established itself as a well loved, comedic dance movie?

3. But the wording in the lower right corner, in capital letters. NY COPI seems a more solid clue. Those words translates to "New Copy." In the 1950's, Top Hat was re-edited before its re-release in the US. Could "new copy" also mean this was a re-edited version used in Denmark?  (or would that wording have been printed on a first release Danish poster from Feb, 1936?)

I'm just throwing these ideas and finds out there.  Wink

And that's what makes this hobby so fascinating. Looking, digging and examining the small details that might help to shed some light.

Rather than continue to drag the thread off topic, I started this one.

I did a bit more research
Denmark released Top Hat in late February 1936, a full 6 months after the US release.  That could explain that the songs had become popular in Europe before the film's release.
They also re-released it in 1951, which explains the censor stamp.  The poster is theater used with pinholes, and those most certainly came from that time (or at least some of them)

The US re-release of the edited version did not occur until 1953.  I am skeptical that RKO would have done a foreign edited release 2 full years ahead of the larger US market.

As you say, it is all possible, but since no earlier Danish Top Hat has surfaced, Bruce's story is also credible.

So, bottom line, I don't know.  I also don't really care.  It looks great on my wall and I have no desire to sell it.  It would be nice to solve the mystery, but not sure how to go further.
-Jay-

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Danish Top Hat.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 10:31:43 AM »
I went back into Bruce's archives and looked for other Danish posters released around the same time.  They seem to be similar and only list the top stars without the additional credits.  For example, this Swing Time, also released in 1936: http://www.emovieposter.com/gallery/inc/archive_image.php?id=12961085

On thing that points me toward the re-used 1936 poster is that the style seems similar to other Danish posters from that period.  Danish Posters released in the 1950s seem to have a different style.  More colors and a more phot-like representation.

Of course that doesn't explain the "NY KOPI"
-Jay-

Mirosae

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »
Great post Jaynj. As you say you've got there a nice poster. You might have to wait a while till another one pops up.  Or you could ask European dealers like Wolfgang in case he knows a bit more. They do see these posters more often ( she says...assuming he does!) Either way...lovely poster.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 07:55:14 PM »

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 02:45:52 AM »
I recently posted a couple Danish Hitchcock posters I own in the "What's on your wall?" thread.

I noticed the printer name on your "Top Hat" poster is in the same position and same typeface as on my poster for "The Lady Vanishes", which I believe to be from 1951 or 1952:
"DYVA & JEPPESENS BOGTRYKKERI AKTIESELSKAB - KØBENHAVN"

Make of that what you will, as of course it's possible that this printing house was also in business in the 1930's.

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:49:30 AM »
Oh, and I forgot to say it's a sweet poster!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:19:21 AM »
Love that Lady Vanishes as well.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 02:20:09 PM »
Doing some quick research, it seems the publisher/printer, Dyva & Jeppesen, was producing printed materials from at least the mid-1920's. The font type, size and location of each on both Top Hat and the 1950's RR posters that Deke posted are identical. So this could be a possible, further clue in helping to positively date the Top Hat poster.   :)

Here's their mark, from a Danish 1945RR poster for The Petrified Forest:

And one more, from the Danish OS for Battle Circus (1953):

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »
Hey jayn_j

Look what is being auctioned by Bonhams this November... and check out their estimate!   ;D

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22196/lot/99/

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 05:30:43 PM »
Bonhams has one like this Danish poster, maybe they know more about it

Mirosae

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »
Hey jayn_j

Look what is being auctioned by Bonhams this November... and check out their estimate!   ;D

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22196/lot/99/

mecaguoento...You just copied my post....   >:D

;D

(oh... dammit)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 08:54:47 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
-Jay-