Author Topic: Long time collector...  (Read 6328 times)

Mrea2

Long time collector...
« on: December 02, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »
When I was a young teenager, I'm talking 13, a comic book store opened where I live and when it did my friend and I decided to just go in and check it out. Neither of us were into comics at all. The first thing I noticed is that he had a bunch of movie posters TACKED up on the wall. Real ones. First time I had ever seen that in my life. So for the hell of it I asked if he had what was my favorite movie of the time, The Kids Are Allright, the doc on The Who. Became a dedicated Who after that and the movie was in the theaters at the time. He fumbled through things behind his desk and actually pulled that one out! And I still have it to this day.
Anyway, I asked how much, he said $5. I gave it to him on the spot. Probably all the money I had at the time too! Took it home and tacked up onto my wall. I get a laugh at how much I see it for now.
Days went by and I realized how cool it is to have a movie poster so I went back and asked for my second favorite movie at the time, The Warriors. He didn't have it and told me if I want it he will order it. I said sure. Went back in a week, told who I was, and he fumbled through his stuff, started pulling out this huge poster, whoa! "How much" I asked. $10 he said. I bought it on the spot. Turns out that was the subway advance. Huge. Took it home, tacked it heavily up on my wall. Unfortunately, that one I didn't take care of very well and I have no idea where it is today!
I went back and just started rattling off favorite movies. I did get a couple of Holy Grails from him over the years. I didn't realize it at the time, but he did get me a first printing, international one sheet for the first Star Wars. And I really believe it was a tri-fold. I no longer have that which I really regret now mainly because I just didn't realize what I had. I didn't collect posters for the rarity, just the artwork or mainly if I liked the movie. He did get me, and I still have it a genuine rolled Revenge Of The Jedi. I need to get it re-framed. The first Stars Wars one sheet I had though, I do recall folding it like a trip-fold, but when I was younger I folded it over one more time to take it with me when I was moving. Sorry guys!
I've never folded the Revenge poster.
I had all of the Star Wars posters at one time. I sent them all, except for the Revenge one to Heritage for an auction, including the first movie so I could get funds up because I was buying a house at the time. This was about six years ago. They sold for a ridiculous low amount knowing what I now know. At the time, I don't think they were really into selling movie posters at that time. I don't know if emovieposters was around then, but I didn't know about them.
Today I just like focusing on advance/teaser recent one sheets. Not really into vintage posters, but if one hits me in the right spot I'll go for it. I also still have a well used teaser for the first Star Wars also.
I tried posting pics of the Revenge poster but it's not under 100 meg.
I would like to get a nice Thierry hates "French Grande" poster though.
So thats my story.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Long time collector...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 08:53:59 AM »
Great story... and welcome! 

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 09:03:03 AM »
The Quads not bad either....here's mine.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 09:38:20 AM »
So thats my story.

Welcome to APF!!  To upload Pictures you need to use Photobucket, Flickr or Dropbox and paste a link to the picture file.  If you need further help with that let us know.  I or someone will help out.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:58:34 AM »
Welcome!
Chris

Mrea2

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 11:52:53 AM »
Just re-read what I wrote and I have no idea where that Thiery hates comment comes from! What the!
Thats a nice quad. And I'll look into flickr thsts the one I know best.

Mrea2

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 11:53:49 AM »
Also, the post on sellers to avoid has been a tremendous help.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
Just re-read what I wrote and I have no idea where that Thiery hates comment comes from! What the!
Thats a nice quad. And I'll look into flickr thsts the one I know best.

A little APF quirk ;)
Chris

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »
Stumbled into that quirk quick!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 12:52:36 PM »
 welcome1 to APF...

And what a great story, too!

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 05:29:50 PM »
 hola.gif  great story!

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 08:30:47 PM »
Welcome!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 05:30:27 AM »
Aloha. Good introduction. Have fun
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 12:35:10 PM »
Zowie! Your story sounds remarkably like mine---going to a comic book store (I never read them either) and discovering MOVIE POSTERS for sale.

Welcome to the boards. I'm new too...  and feeling a bit green about joining the other boards, so I've decided to go meet my fellow newbies and say hello. I'm glad I'm NOT the only new guy around. But it looks like you've expanded your horizons and explored a bit more than me. Ha! 

Anyway, I'm glad you're here as well.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!