Author Topic: Pricing Trends?  (Read 42561 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Pricing Trends?
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2014, 06:36:42 PM »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2014, 07:40:34 PM »
All true about not thinking of the investment.  It seems like every auction has a BTTF poster in fine condition.  Every time I talk myself out of it for the aforementioned reasons.  But I just know that one night I will be overtaken, and press that Bid button.  And probably thrilled when it arrives in the mail.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2014, 07:48:23 PM »
All true about not thinking of the investment.  It seems like every auction has a BTTF poster in fine condition.  Every time I talk myself out of it for the aforementioned reasons.  But I just know that one night I will be overtaken, and press that Bid button.  And probably thrilled when it arrives in the mail.

And that's what it's all about, Matt.. The thrill of the hunt and opening that parcel, when it arrives at your front door!  cool1

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2014, 08:15:05 PM »
we may be too late already  wynk

Someone is looking mighty fine, after a long, hard, crazy day of researching, bidding and buying posters..... hola.gif

Now its time to hit the town and have a cocktail!

I love the outlined vintage red..  ;D

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2014, 04:35:59 AM »
Blimey. ..she just needs to have unibrows to be my spitting image :P

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2014, 06:00:44 AM »
Blimey. ..she just needs to have unibrows to be my spitting image :P

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Rich's insights make me ask a different question.

When is the ideal time to purchase a poster that is going to appreciate in value.

1. Most will say forget value and buy new posters where the film speaks to you.  Unfortunately, that often leads to one saying "What was I thinking?" five years down the road.  The Titanic/Avatar syndrome.  You end up buying 20 turkeys for every gem.

2.  Wait until everyone else is in a buying frenzy and pay market.  This is not the time to buy BTTF, John Hughes or other 80's classics.  But it may never be the time again in your lifetime.  These posters are hot because people who now have money remember the film fondly and want a poster.  Prices are likely to stay stable until these people die off.  Then the prices drop because nobody who remembers the film is still able to remember much of anything.  The remaining strategy here is to spend endless hours searching out a few gems where somebody doesn't know the worth of the poster, and then cheating them.  Not for me.

3. My preferred strategy.  Wait 5-10 years.  If the movie still speaks to you, go ahead and buy it.  The price will still generally be affordable, and may even be depressed due to people who followed #1.  As Rich said, buy for your own pleasure and you won't go wrong.  I won't get rich from this strategy, but I end up with things I like without breaking the bank, and limit the amount of 'back of closet' junk.
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2014, 09:52:33 AM »

When is the ideal time to purchase a poster that is going to appreciate in value.

1. Most will say forget value and buy new posters where the film speaks to you.  Unfortunately, that often leads to one saying "What was I thinking?" five years down the road.  The Titanic/Avatar syndrome.  You end up buying 20 turkeys for every gem.

2.  Wait until everyone else is in a buying frenzy and pay market.  This is not the time to buy BTTF, John Hughes or other 80's classics.  But it may never be the time again in your lifetime.  These posters are hot because people who now have money remember the film fondly and want a poster.  Prices are likely to stay stable until these people die off.  Then the prices drop because nobody who remembers the film is still able to remember much of anything.  The remaining strategy here is to spend endless hours searching out a few gems where somebody doesn't know the worth of the poster, and then cheating them.  Not for me.

3. My preferred strategy.  Wait 5-10 years.  If the movie still speaks to you, go ahead and buy it.  The price will still generally be affordable, and may even be depressed due to people who followed #1.  As Rich said, buy for your own pleasure and you won't go wrong.  I won't get rich from this strategy, but I end up with things I like without breaking the bank, and limit the amount of 'back of closet' junk.

What about posters that are already 50+ years old?
Chris

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2014, 10:48:41 AM »
What about posters that are already 50+ years old?

My belief is that all but the most iconic of these are depreciating in value for reasons I stated above.

Look at values of old westerns, classic musicals, screwball comedies and much noir.

Yes, the very best like Wizard of Oz, Singin in the Rain, Stagecoach and Casablanca will hold value and continue to climb, but much of the second tier stuff is becoming very affordable. 

As I have previously mentioned, my kids have no interest in black and white movies.  They think plots of the 50s are boring when compared to action flix popular today.  The people who love these movies are now dying off and with them, so goes tha value of the poster.
-Jay-

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »
Thanks Rich. Oh...of course...I wrote that.
 hitself

To be honest I don't want to think about how much money I will make if any at all...just how much I have spent..and how much I can keep spending on posters without going insane. Luckily I have got 3 more posters to go and I am done...but can't bloody find them girly2.gif

I love this statement...3 more posters and I am done!  Lucky girl, I wish I had that much restraint/end game.   :)

Mirosae

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »
I love this statement...3 more posters and I am done!  Lucky girl, I wish I had that much restraint/end game.   :)

Only 3 left because YOU HAVE ALL my goodies.. Golden Arrow, It happened One Night and Desire and... :P

Hands off MY Bogie >:D

:D

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2014, 12:13:33 AM »

While you can probably find a Back to the Future 1-sheet for sale every week for the next 10 years, that is just not always the case with what the heart wants (right Rosa and her 3 posters?).
So if it finally shows up for sale and you can purchase it without breaking the bank, do it and enjoy it now.
I want a Jungle Woman insert, the last time I saw one for sale it sold for about $25 more than I was willing to pay. That was 10 years ago.
I may very well find it for less money whenever it turns up, but not only have I wasted a few minutes each week searching for it, I have missed out on 10 years of enjoying that poster. I was a blockhead to let it get away when I could have easily afforded it.

I would even apply this to Back to the Future. Let's say that for some reason in 10 years no one wants that title (doubtful, but let's say...) and you can buy it for $50 instead of $150.  Is it really worth $100 to delay enjoyment for 10 years?
You wouldn't get $10 a year worth of enjoyment from owning that poster?
If not, this probably isn't the hobby for you.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2014, 01:24:42 AM »
While you can probably find a Back to the Future 1-sheet for sale every week for the next 10 years, that is just not always the case with what the heart wants (right Rosa and her 3 posters?).
So if it finally shows up for sale and you can purchase it without breaking the bank, do it and enjoy it now.
I want a Jungle Woman insert, the last time I saw one for sale it sold for about $25 more than I was willing to pay. That was 10 years ago.
I may very well find it for less money whenever it turns up, but not only have I wasted a few minutes each week searching for it, I have missed out on 10 years of enjoying that poster. I was a blockhead to let it get away when I could have easily afforded it.

I would even apply this to Back to the Future. Let's say that for some reason in 10 years no one wants that title (doubtful, but let's say...) and you can buy it for $50 instead of $150.  Is it really worth $100 to delay enjoyment for 10 years?

so well said buddy

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »

But that wasn't the point I was trying to make.  I paid $100 for my BTTF because I didn't buy it until 2 years ago.  But I also have a fair amount of 80s fare that was bought cheap in the 90s.  Breakfast Club, Nightmare on Elm St, Animal House, etc.

The point I was trying to make was that I personally do not have a good handle on what will still appeal to me in 5 years when it is first released, and if you wait 20 years, you are mostly relying on others' opinions of what is classic.  At 5-10 years, posters seem to be at their low value point, and you have had a chance to determine what still speaks to you.

I ended up with several tubes of junk learning that lesson about buying new release stuff.

But if there is a 20-30 year old poster you like and it is higher priced, you should go ahead and get it.  It probably won't get cheaper for another 20 years (subject to week to week variances already discussed) and you get to enjoy it.
-Jay-

Mirosae

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2014, 10:17:39 AM »
That's a good point Jayn J. There are posters that it might be worth just to set aside and wait till the right one pops (price or condition or both).

I think most of us know,  like Sean and Jayn J said we know that with some posters you just have to buy them as in "it is now or never" as  that might be the only one shot to get it. And that if you are lucky enough to find them. And yes lucky enough to have some spare cash.

Pricing trends to me are purely emotional (thats what i meant earlier Rich about holding their value). I paid a price but they really make me happy, and I suspect will continue to do so. Hence they are priceless (whoever said that money doesn't buy you happiness doesn't know where to shop ...posters..!!).

Can't care less if the Searchers will go for peanuts in 5 -10 years time. I paid not peanuts for my pocket but got it when  it was right for me so to me it feels like "peanut butter". Pure Joy and Happiness minus the calories :) sorry bad joke I know. . :P

And I need just 3 more*......and I will live happily ever after  girly.gif

*terms and conditions apply.
*** I reserve my right to change my mind

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:21:29 AM by Mirosae »

Mirosae

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2015, 04:56:21 AM »

3. My preferred strategy.  Wait 5-10 years.  If the movie still speaks to you, go ahead and buy it. 

This is a great post.  And wise. 20 turkeys... ;D

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2015, 10:51:44 AM »
Wait, poster dealers advising to buy NOW NOW NOW...? Crazy!

(I actually agree tho...)
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Mirosae

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2015, 11:20:26 AM »
Wait, poster dealers advising to buy NOW NOW NOW...? Crazy!

(I actually agree tho...)

You talking about Jayn_j? Didnt realise he was a dealer. Not that matters tho

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2015, 11:26:45 AM »

I've never sold a poster.  Given a few away.
-Jay-

Mirosae

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2015, 11:57:45 AM »
I've never sold a poster.  Given a few away.

I am waiting for mine!!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2015, 12:31:21 PM »

Referring to Schan and Rich's comments about not holding out...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2015, 02:41:15 PM »

I am waiting for mine!!

Need your address, then Ishtar is on its way.  >:D
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2015, 02:46:31 PM »
Careful Jay..

Remember it is the poster matriarch that has made this request.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:47:25 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »
Referring to Schan and Rich's comments about not holding out...

Sean said it best when he asked if it's worth $100 to wait 10 years for gratification
I've never held out if a piece of art or a poster was available and I really wanted to add it to my collection, but I've gotten very lucky on material I may have missed out on and later gotten same for much less.

Heritage has a poster this month that I have lost out on twice at over $2000 in the past, but now I may be able to get a copy for half that. Do I care that the item may be headed in the wrong direction.. maybe some.. but I need the poster..... I  N-E-E-D the poster

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2015, 05:14:33 PM »
.. but I need the poster..... I  N-E-E-D the poster

Hope you get it Rich.

And yes. I think the idea is to wait if it is a relatively common poster and if you don't mind it that much.  But with some other posters i will just grab them when you can...If you can. ..