Author Topic: Pricing Trends?  (Read 42491 times)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Re: Pricing Trends?
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 04:27:48 PM »

As for that chunk of cash, it will probably go to shipping everything I own from USA to Japan! No new acquisitions until I have a house to put them in!

Moving again? Japan sounds like an excelent destination!!  thumbsup.gif
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »
Moving again? Japan sounds like an excelent destination!!  thumbsup.gif

Arigato! Yes and I'm sure there will be opportunities for poster spending too.  8)

Lost Silents

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 05:11:29 AM »
I pretty much agree with T, especially this last part

collectibles have been touted as investments - wrongly IMO

I sell enjoyment, not investment

Though it's easy to see why people hope that collectibles will produce a massive return - everyone's knows that old chestnut about original Star Wars figurines in mint packaging... Plus, what could be more fun than getting rich by buying stuff that you love?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 05:33:35 PM »
everyone's knows that old chestnut about original Star Wars figurines in mint packaging... Plus, what could be more fun than getting rich by buying stuff that you love?

right, but it was by pure luck and not guarantee

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »
The republic with that analogy is, at the time kids bought them and played with them. Like in the past movie posters were printed and cinemas used them.

Now people see old posters worth money or older toys mint in box worth money and try and replicate the "investment"

Same of course with comics or whatever,

Things that are collected from the outset will have a large quantity bought with this in kind and as such kept and looked after.

Collectables that get good returns are things that aren't or weren't collected then later are,miso it's hard to get or hard to get in desired condition.

Or think money.... Lots of nice uncirculated small denomination notes or coins, but larger ones, people couldn't afford to "collect" a brand new £20 note and keep it flat, they needed it to buy food. So they are harder to get.
Or sovereigns, that was a weeks wages,not many people could keep that aside for fun of collecting, it paid the rent.

Now we have ready made collectables, and millions who invest in them, they sit in a room, and don't even gather dust as the owners are so pedantic about them. When time comes to sell, there's only a few less than were made and only those few less as someone had an accident or something.

I had a clouple of clients in the coin shop who came each week with their baby, and spent a couple of hundred dollars on brand new coins from the mint, sold as collectors items.
One day they told me it was investing for their kids future.
I tried my darnkess to talk them out of it, to rather buy old coins or banknotes, that have a track record of good returns.
They wanted pretty boxes and shiny coins. They refused to listen and thought I didn't know what I was talking about. They thought, because there was only 500 of a particular set then it would be better than an old coin where there might be 600 known examples.

I am glad I'm out of the business cos I'd hate to see their faces when they try and cash their investment in and realise dealers have boxes in their storeroom and nobody wants last decades "collector" set.

The trick I think, hold things that are NOT collected and saved, but have strong or rather will have strong nostalgic value in the future. Something that we won't use later, but will remember fondly, that nobody thinks to keep.

In Australia we now have plain packaged ciggarettes, no branding on them, just big ugly pictures of dying people etc.
I have a box full of the last cigarette packets from Australia with the branding intact.
All the time I hear fellow smokers complain they miss the real packets. Sometimes I show people and they ask for one to put their smokes INTO it.
And this is only a year or two old, maybe three, whatever.

Regardless, I can see a time when I can sell an empty packet of winfield blue with the old logo etc. Might happen, and regardless I enjoyed the smokes. Hahaha.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »
Glitch in the matrix?  Giant FU, Putin?

Yup thats pretty it right there haha.

Mirosae

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2014, 09:59:54 AM »

The trick I think, hold things that are NOT collected and saved, but have strong or rather will have strong nostalgic value in the future. Something that we won't use later, but will remember fondly, that nobody thinks to keep.

I fully agree. But you need a crystal ball ;)

I say collect what you love and try NOT to overpay that is the trick for me. At least it will always hold its value  regardless of trends. And if you are lucky...You might also make some Money. .

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2014, 04:14:49 AM »
I see it this way
the stuff from the 70's 80's is making good money because the people that grew up with that stuff are now earning perhaps the most they will will earn or certainly have some disposable income. Certainly in my experience the people i sold and bought from were generally between 30 and 55

Good titles from earlier will surely make good prices but the lesser stuff falls away exponentially.  The reason i think is that the generation of collectors for lets say the fifties is retiring/downsizing and other than a few titles they possibly dont have the money or inclination to continue to buy. If you dont have a great pension then a lot of posters are out of your reach. where as the guy in a good job wants to pay top dollar for jaws star wars goonies etc
give it ten years and the eighties/nineties will be soaring and some of the early seventies stuff will fall away

just my thoughts!
Paul

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 10:25:57 AM »
People over 55 do have disposable income, but generally are trying to shed possessions.
-Jay-

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
To buy more posters...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 07:51:01 AM »
People over 55 do have disposable income, but generally are trying to shed possessions.
I dont disagree with that at all. my dad collects more things now than we he did before he retired!

Offline Sunsanvil

• Beginner
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 03:09:48 PM »
Has anyone ever noted a better or worse time of year to sell or buy?

Mirosae

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »
Selling must be in January... everyone- or most of us are watching our wallets...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 03:50:31 PM »
Has anyone ever noted a better or worse time of year to sell or buy?

summertime, before kids go back to school, before christmas, January

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 04:02:09 PM »
I see it this way
the stuff from the 70's 80's is making good money because the people that grew up with that stuff are now earning perhaps the most they will will earn or certainly have some disposable income. Certainly in my experience the people i sold and bought from were generally between 30 and 55

Good titles from earlier will surely make good prices but the lesser stuff falls away exponentially.  The reason i think is that the generation of collectors for lets say the fifties is retiring/downsizing and other than a few titles they possibly dont have the money or inclination to continue to buy. If you dont have a great pension then a lot of posters are out of your reach. where as the guy in a good job wants to pay top dollar for jaws star wars goonies etc
give it ten years and the eighties/nineties will be soaring and some of the early seventies stuff will fall away

just my thoughts!
Paul

This is right on the money.

sm1
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Sunsanvil

• Beginner
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2014, 06:40:52 PM »
summertime, before kids go back to school, before christmas, January

Are those times of high or low pricing?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 03:15:30 AM »
 coffee

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2014, 03:46:01 PM »
Thanks for all of the replys.  And they have made me somewhat wary.  One of my alltime favorite films is Back to the Future.  This poster makes a regular appearance on the auction sites, and habitually goes for around $150 (excluding one that was autographed by the Director and went for only $88 and that still puzzles me).  I am not looking at this poster for an investment, but I don't want to buy a poster for $150 and have that value drop to around $40 after the 80's craze is over.  So, I will keep watching and maybe snag one when the price begins to drop.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2014, 04:54:38 PM »
Are those times of high or low pricing?

that's when people are watching their money

before thanksgiving & xmas/Hanukkah people watch their wallets as they know they are going to be spending gift money.
before school starts in August, parents watch the $ because they're buying clothes and books
in January they're broke from December

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2014, 05:26:02 PM »
Thanks for all of the replys.  And they have made me somewhat wary.  One of my alltime favorite films is Back to the Future.  This poster makes a regular appearance on the auction sites, and habitually goes for around $150 (excluding one that was autographed by the Director and went for only $88 and that still puzzles me).  I am not looking at this poster for an investment, but I don't want to buy a poster for $150 and have that value drop to around $40 after the 80's craze is over.  So, I will keep watching and maybe snag one when the price begins to drop.

the day any of us can properly judge when an item is going to increase or decrease in value, will be the day I hit the Pick-6 and win $187million dollars
to go further, the investment value of a collectible is not in his sale value - if there is one - it's in the enjoyment you get from owning & appreciating the material

case in point
in 2001 I bought my Murder My Sweet 1sh for $3000. I've had the poster for 13 1/2 years or 4925 days. so for 60 cents a day for the past 13 years I have been able to enjoy this poster on my wall, which makes me smile everytime I look at it. As time passes, my cost goes down. if I'm alive in 2031, I will have paid $100 a year to own the item.
whether it has value at the end of that time is in actuality completely meaningless, because it was never my intention to sell the poster. So if it's worth $1 when I die, I don't care. In the investment was the spiritual investment, not the money.

going further
if a 1931 Dracula poster can sell for $310,000 on day and $160,000 next time - no Rosa, it is not holding it's value and by itself is an indication of the vagaries and travails of the business.

Movie posters is a hobby and unlike other hobbies, has been resistant to those things that make any market investible - there is no price guide. there is no central authority which would require people to adhere to a grading table that everyone agrees with. There isn't an easily accessible wholesale market (if there is one at all anymore). In other words, there is no central core, just many individuals doing their own thing.

This is unlike other hobbies like comic books, coins, stamps, baseball cards etc However those businesses are guided by a central core and all dealers adhere to certain standards in order for it to function in a cohesive fashion. At the same time, those hobbies are completely manipulated. Golden age Captain America comics have sold for double guide for years, why doesn't the guide reflect that? Simply said, the dealers won't allow it. When they submit their pricing each year for the guide, their conflict of interest is too much for most of them to suppress and their feeling is that if they honestly report those prices, it reduces their ability to buy from less knowledgeable people and make the profits.

CGC wasn't created by people just wanting to create a recognized grade scale - it was created due to a need to make grading even across the hobby so that wealthy buyers who were coming into the hobby were not getting shafted by overgraded comics, by comics that had unmentioned restoration etc and wind up leaving the hobby - taking their money with them. But what has happened is that comic books are now treated the same as stocks that you buy on Wall Street. It has been distilled down to it's basic monetary value and once it's slabbed, it's literary value is gone as you can't read the book anymore. It is just a representation of money

and then there is the aspect that - if you are looking for investments - that collectibles are not "liquid"
If I need money today and my ATT stock is at $35.47, I can get on my trading account, put in a sell order at $35.47 (full value) and I now have cash, instantly.
No so with collectibles.

You have a BTTF poster that is worth $150 and you need money today. Not tomorrow. Today.
where is the investment value at that moment? You can sell it and have the money in a few days, but if you need fast money, you have to take what-you-can-get and that's NOT going to be $150

so to boil it down.
if you buy posters, make sure you're buying because you enjoy them, not because you plan on making money because in all likelihood, you won't!
If you want investments.. ATT stock.. It pays a dividend

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:26:32 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »

going further
if a 1931 Dracula poster can sell for $310,000 on day and $160,000 next time - no Rosa it is not holding it's value and by itself is an indication of the vagaries and travails of the business.

Movie posters is a hobby and unlike other hobbies, has been resistant to those things that make any market investible - there is no price guide.

Thanks Rich. Most interesting.  Not sure I asked that question  but appreciate you taking the time to share this.

I think I speak for most when I say that it is not about the money, but it is nevertheless nice to dream that my Twilight poster will be one day sold for $230,000. Hehe

well if an awful film like Casablanca could get that price....suuuurely Twilight can!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »
I say collect what you love and try NOT to overpay that is the trick for me. At least it will always hold its value  regardless of trends.

just that one Rosa..

sadly, your Twilight poster is a very poor investment if current prices & interest are any indicator.
not only that, it's likely to lose value in real dollars as it's only a $3 poster now and 20 years from now will still be just $3 when a simple bank account getting 3% interest would become $10 or so.

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »
Thanks Rich. Oh...of course...I wrote that.
 hitself

To be honest I don't want to think about how much money I will make if any at all...just how much I have spent..and how much I can keep spending on posters without going insane. Luckily I have got 3 more posters to go and I am done...but can't bloody find them girly2.gif

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2014, 06:24:30 PM »
how much I can keep spending on posters without going insane.

we may be too late already  wynk

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2014, 06:32:33 PM »
I love you too Rich :-*

Hehe