Author Topic: Poster Sizes Change  (Read 4402 times)

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
Poster Sizes Change
« on: July 24, 2014, 12:56:31 PM »
My apologies if this has been discussed already (I could not find it in my search).

I recently bought a poster in an on-line auction that was pre-1985.  Little did I know that I would not be able to trot down to Michael's or the like to get a frame because standard poster frames now (and since 1985) are 27 x 40 as opposed to 27 x 41 pre-1985.  My question is why did the industry change to add 1 inch to the dimensions?  I would imagine this was not an easy change equipment wise, etc.

Thanks,
Matthew

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Poster Sizes Change
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 01:58:46 PM »
My apologies if this has been discussed already (I could not find it in my search).

I recently bought a poster in an on-line auction that was pre-1985.  Little did I know that I would not be able to trot down to Michael's or the like to get a frame because standard poster frames now (and since 1985) are 27 x 40 as opposed to 27 x 41 pre-1985.  My question is why did the industry change to add 1 inch to the dimensions?  I would imagine this was not an easy change equipment wise, etc.

Thanks,
Matthew

I think it was to screw all us "vintage" collectors over when it came time to start framing our treasures  :P

But seriously...a lot of us know this same pain and frustration in trying to find 27x41 frames.  Usually, in the end and if you want archival framing you have to custom order.
Chris

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »

I recently bought a poster in an on-line auction that was pre-1985.  Little did I know that I would not be able to trot down to Michael's or the like to get a frame because standard poster frames now (and since 1985) are 27 x 40 as opposed to 27 x 41 pre-1985. 

Its amazing what difference an inch on either side will make...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 02:12:07 PM »
Its amazing what difference an inch on either side will make...

Yvonne says this all the time.... I wondered what she meant.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »

laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 04:03:54 PM »

laugh1
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 04:35:29 PM »
I posted this on the "other" forum but it is good to know...

OK this is not exactly a short story. Most motion pictures were coming from France in the early 1900s and Edison lead an effort to raise tariffs on and place quotas on films coming from outside the US. With this in place he created a need for more film and up rose multiple small production companies within the US. To put a stop to this, Edison (whom made most of the earliest motion picture films in the US) attempted to corner the market and began developing alliances with other motion picture companies. He tried to legally develop an Association that would grant licenses and establish rules for the industry but that failed with one hold out. After that attempt Edison formed the Motion Picture Patents Company (MPPC)... The most important member to Edison was Eastman Kodak whom produced the actual film. Edison the formed the General Film Company (GFC) to distribute the films of the MPPC this is what became known as the "Trust"...

So why is this important? Edison leading the "Trust" wanted his poster to be the best in the business and of the highest show quality. So the One Sheets from the "Trust" were sized at 41" which was 1" larger than standard printing presses and cost more to produce. To keep up with the "Trust" independent distributors matched the size which lasted until the studios retook control of poster distribution looking for ways to lower cost.

This is very important to realize where posters were printed. If a poster is not 41" and not cut - most likely it was printed at a local shop and not an official poster for a film.... and etc....

Why did they change back to 40" in the mid 80s?  It allowed for posters to be printed universally across the spectrum of available printer's.  The shop no longer was required to have a printer capable of 41" printing...  This also allowed for competition and better distribution. 

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »

lul
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Co Attican

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »
Interesting history. I thought it was an attempt to save money on the amount of paper used, it never came to mind that any printer could make them too.