Author Topic: Website navigation..  (Read 14076 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Website navigation..
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2015, 01:32:25 PM »
I'm open to views on them, all I've adjusted is the sharpness slightly, as I'm just using Auto-focus for now..

Sorry for the quality of the posters here, just trying stuff from the scrap pile. Here's new/shiny one's.

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2015, 01:34:58 PM »
If you look to the right there's a glare off one of the flashes as the poster is not completely flat on that edge...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »
Nice, Paul. For example, the A Royal Night Out quad...

If i may-- all the flesh tones/faces have a very slight bluish tone to them. (or does it look that way in person, also?)

I wouldnt think so, tho, as any portrait imagery on a piece like this would want to show the actors as pink, lively and fresh (vs a horror or dark genre film that might alter the imagery specifically, to a certain degree).

(Hope you dont mind the input, Paul).  :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 01:47:00 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2015, 01:51:20 PM »
That's why they are here Jeff, I want lots of criticism/input..    :D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2015, 01:53:47 PM »
That's why they are here Jeff, I want lots of criticism/input..    :D

Just making double sure, Paul.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »
I'm off to check that Royal night out now.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2015, 02:02:25 PM »
Great... looking again, both the Duff (again, the skin tones makes it more evident here) and Fairytale images also have that same, slight bluish cast to them (imho), too, Paul.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:04:05 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2015, 02:10:22 PM »
Just looked at all 3, the second two are quite close, but the RNO is very noticeable up close.....More twiddling needed. Well spotted Jeff.

I'm not sure weather where I have the metal board is helping as I don't have too many options in there at the moment.  It's right against two windows....I may have to black them out!!

Here's a pic.

It may well be too much direct light into the lens.....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2015, 02:13:59 PM »
Paul..that last pic tells me EXACTLY why your digital images are more bluish...natural daylight photographs blue. So with your camera pointed that way, towards the windows, it is picking up what is coming thru the windows. And Yes.. the easiest would be to black them out with a drape.

That will correct your issue and keep your camera happy and adjust for the indoor setting an give you the proper white balance, too.  :D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:54:17 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2015, 04:21:56 PM »
I'm off to check that Royal night out now.

Have fun Paul. I heard it is a good one.

And congratulations on what is looking like an excellent piece of work. I am looking forward to admiring your collection. I hope you can spare few minutes to add some narrative and write few words about your posters.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2015, 04:26:27 PM »
Hi Paul!  You are off to a great start!  A few things -- and fair warning, I'm nit-picking as you asked :)

WHITE BALANCE -- Get an 18% grey card to calibrate your shots.  Depending on what software you are using for post-production, you only need to adjust this once and then you can batch apply it to your whole session.  I leave calibration cards up on my shooting environment for the whole session (along with rulers), which makes it easy to dial this in quickly.  If you have a grey card visible in your shot, it's a one-click fix to dial in white balance in most software programs.

WHITE BALANCE -- Another white balance tip, use the same kind of light.  Meaning don't mix strobes with daylight, fluorescents, incandescents, etc...  stick to one kind of light source.  Given you have strobes, you should try to eliminate all other light sources.  That means cover those windows, and only use a few other lights in the room (placed to the sides) to work by.  If you strobes can over power them, you are good to go.  To test this, dial in your setup with the strobes, ensuring the poster is properly lit (do you have a light meter?).  Then turn them off and shoot another test shot.  If it comes out all black your dim room lights shouldn't affecting your lighting setup, but they will still give you some light to work with while shooting and changing posters.  If you are shooting in some sort of "auto" mode this test will probably not work.  Just record the settings from the auto mode (ISO, aperture, shutter speed), switch to manual (M) mode and enter those settings.  Take a test shot to ensure the lighting is still correct, then proceed with turning off the strobes and testing your room lighting/reflections. 

REFLECTIONS -- Again, cover those windows!  You don't want any stray light reaching your lens.  Anything behind the poster is a definite no-no, as are light sources behind the camera -- those will reflect off the poster (your metal board, the white wall, etc...) on to the lens as well. 

REFLECTIONS -- You can also get a cheap lens hood to kill stray light coming from the sides -- including the light coming from the strobes.  You want to poster to be lit, not the lens. 

REFLECTIONS -- Reverse roll your posters for a few days before shooting.  This will help eliminate those pesky curls that cast shadows and add reflections.  Basically, you only want to be shooting pre-flatted posters.  I try to group posters by size -- meaning I will shoot a session of only B2s.  Then another session I'll only do 1-sheets.  That makes your setup and post production more straight-forward, but it also allows me to establish a kind of queue.  I always prep for the next session by pre-flattening.

DISTORTION -- I could be seeing things, but it looks like you might have a bit of barrel distortion.  What focal length are you using?  It looks like you might be using a wider lens, which can lead to slight distortion in the image.  The farther back you can get the camera the less distortion you'll see and, as a bonus, the more it will help with combating stray light and reflections.  If you are using an camera with an APS-C sized sensor (I think you are) I would use something at least 35mm (50mm equiv. to full-frame), or if possible 60mm (90mm equivalent). 

SHARPNESS -- Entry level lenses are usually not known for the optical precision.  Better/costlier lenses should be sharp all the way into the extreme corners.  You can help your sharpness by using a higher F-stop -- for APS-C I would recommend F8.  If you are still getting blurry corners, you can just move your camera back a bit more and then crop out the extra space.  For the web, your photos will likely only be 2-3000 pixels on the long side.  If you choose 3000x2250 that works out to about a 7mp image.  If you are shooting with a 12-16mp camera that means you can setup your shooting environment with the expectation of cropping down to 7mp -- and also cropping out those soft corners from entry-level lenses. 

That's probably enough for now... I'll try to contribute more tips as I think of them.  Great work!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:31:46 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2015, 07:49:42 PM »
Very much appreciated Matt, I'll be giving some of your advice a go. And no I don't have a light meter...Do you recommend one?  I was visiting a Camera shop today, but the closest was 50 miles away.... Seems like I'll need another trip up, Grey scale too..

I'm just using the standard Lens at the moment, but can back up a fair bit so will try that also. I have Yvonne primed to make some black out curtains. I did have the lights on in there, but realised they were causing problems so the last few shots were with them out. I was puzzled about the slight distortion, so will hopefully remedy that now. More soon. 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2015, 10:01:36 PM »
If you are using your Canon kit lens, it's probably something like this 18-55 lens.  I actually found this review of what is likely your exact lens.  It shows considerable distortion at 18mm (where you are quite close to the poster), but it is almost completely gone as you zoom out to 55mm (this will back you up a bit if you have the room).  

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/404-canon_1855_3556is_50d?start=1

When shooting at 55mm f8 vignetting is also almost gone.  And while the peak center sharpness seems to be at 18mm f5.6, you are actually looking for the most consistent sharpness across the frame.  Who cares if your center is really sharp if you edges aren't?  In that case I'd say, again, 55mm f8 is probably where you want to be shooting at for best all-around performance.  F11 looks like it may even be slightly more consistent across the frame, but at that small of an aperture something called diffraction starts to kick in -- which results in lower sharpness.

Hope this helps!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2015, 05:07:50 AM »
Helps immensely Matt, many Thanks.

I am only about 2m away from the screen, and can go back another 4-5m.....when I get some of the stuff removed from the garage..
Your quite right, I'm just using the standard 18-55 lens. More to come soon.

Just need to find storage for this lot....  Anyone want a Chappie Standee???

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 07:46:47 AM by paul waines »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2015, 10:54:51 AM »
0.K.  Due to a foot injury I've a bit of time to have another go at this..

Changed lens, partial block out of light, moved the camera back to about 6m, one of these is using a Gray scale card...

« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:55:49 AM by paul waines »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2015, 12:02:56 PM »
Nice, Paul.

The bottom shot captured the warmer color of the overall quad as well as the critters in the boat. And the small text above the title reads much better and is shown with better clarity and contrast, too.  clap

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2015, 08:44:11 PM »
Wow this is a huge task.  I've taken 2000 photos of my collection and I'm officially sick of doing it.  My last several batches were sloppy on the lighting but at this point I have let it slide a bit.  But I have learned a couple things as others have already stated:

Blackened out room.

FLAT FIELD LENS - the most important part of the whole process.  Mine is a Nikon 60mm.  After taking a boatload of pictures on all of the f-stops, I found f10 to be the sharpest and I now stick with that.  My camera setting is on aperture mode, so camera adjusts for shutter speed.  I set the iso to 100 or 200.  A sturdy tripod is a must, even the smallest movement will affect sharpness.

The second most import part is lighting and this is where I could have done much better.  I posted before what i use and it's almost embarrassing but that's what I had budget wise when I started.  I'm still really happy with how my photos come out.

I use a vacuum table I created myself.

Good luck with this, I really wish you the best with it.  It's a lot of work but in the end it's well worth it.  The photos come out great, and there are times I find myself staring at all the JPEGS for hours upon end.

Oh yes, that reminds me always shoot in RAW format of your camera, but have it create a JPEG at the same time.  It saves a lot of time.

Here's a final trick you will not regret...make sure the posters are stacked in the order you take the photos of them.  When you put them in the sleeves i hope you will be using, write the number of the picture on the sleeve in chronological order.  You can do this with your photos by using a re-naming software like Automator for Mac.  I also start my numbering process with letters that tell me what it is.  MLC0156 is my Mexican lobby card #156.  TMP0078 is my Thai movie poster #78.  I give a different bunch of letters for each country.  JLC = Japanese lobby card.  IMP = Italian movie poster and so on.  So when I see a photo I can locate the poster quickly.  Thank god I don't keep them at home, it's too much.

Sorry if I've repeated information.  I appreciate that you are doing this.  With the quality of the photos you can eventually put together a nice printed book of your collection.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:52:19 PM by mwright »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2015, 09:12:20 PM »
And i would add that the color and/or contrast levels of an image shouldn't be overly "pushed." Light it well and evenly and allow the poster, as it truly looks, to shine thru.   thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
And i would add that the color and/or contrast levels of an image shouldn't be overly "pushed." Light it well and evenly and allow the poster, as it truly looks, to shine thru.   thumbsup.gif

I agree, an image should be captured in a "low contrast" flat mode.  This makes it much easier to digitally adjust later, especially with the RAW format.  Great point. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2015, 09:19:47 PM »
Yes, Mike...and I was also meaning that even after a poster is photographed, the digital image file should not then be "enhanced" to make the color or contrast be "more" than it truly is.   :D

-Jeff

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2015, 09:24:34 PM »
sm1

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2015, 10:37:28 PM »
Wow this is a huge task.  I've taken 2000 photos of my collection and I'm officially sick of doing it.  My last several batches were sloppy on the lighting but at this point I have let it slide a bit.  But I have learned a couple things as others have already stated:

Blackened out room.

FLAT FIELD LENS - the most important part of the whole process.  Mine is a Nikon 60mm.  After taking a boatload of pictures on all of the f-stops, I found f10 to be the sharpest and I now stick with that.  My camera setting is on aperture mode, so camera adjusts for shutter speed.  I set the iso to 100 or 200.  A sturdy tripod is a must, even the smallest movement will affect sharpness.

The second most import part is lighting and this is where I could have done much better.  I posted before what i use and it's almost embarrassing but that's what I had budget wise when I started.  I'm still really happy with how my photos come out.

I use a vacuum table I created myself.

Good luck with this, I really wish you the best with it.  It's a lot of work but in the end it's well worth it.  The photos come out great, and there are times I find myself staring at all the JPEGS for hours upon end.

Oh yes, that reminds me always shoot in RAW format of your camera, but have it create a JPEG at the same time.  It saves a lot of time.

Here's a final trick you will not regret...make sure the posters are stacked in the order you take the photos of them.  When you put them in the sleeves i hope you will be using, write the number of the picture on the sleeve in chronological order.  You can do this with your photos by using a re-naming software like Automator for Mac.  I also start my numbering process with letters that tell me what it is.  MLC0156 is my Mexican lobby card #156.  TMP0078 is my Thai movie poster #78.  I give a different bunch of letters for each country.  JLC = Japanese lobby card.  IMP = Italian movie poster and so on.  So when I see a photo I can locate the poster quickly.  Thank god I don't keep them at home, it's too much.

Sorry if I've repeated information.  I appreciate that you are doing this.  With the quality of the photos you can eventually put together a nice printed book of your collection.
Super helpful dude. I suck arse and some of these tidbits I will follow to a t.  by the by where DO you keep your stuff (if not at home)?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:37:50 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2015, 11:02:39 PM »
Super helpful dude. I suck arse and some of these tidbits I will follow to a t.  by the by where DO you keep your stuff (if not at home)?

A climate controlled storage facility.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2015, 11:31:15 PM »
Sounds expensive.