Author Topic: Censoring the Forum Has Been Accomplished!  (Read 50318 times)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
Re: Censoring the Forum Has Been Accomplished!
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2014, 05:30:11 PM »
I don't get doing this. I feel that this hobby is relatively small and sharing information among collectors is very beneficial.  It looks like the general discussion forums from each topic heading are gone if you are not logged in as a member.  From Common Poster Subjects, the topics like authentication and restoration are not accessible.

Regarding the authentication, I know that MPT, MPA, NSFGE and this forum, APF, have saved me money over the years. If the information on this forum, helps keep even $1 out of the hands of poster forgers, then that is a positive contribution to all collectors.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and restricting the flow of information may force people to seek it elsewhere. I like to test drive forums before I join. I bet some people that started out as guests eventually join and contribute to the forum.

This action seems excessive to mitigate the complaints of the Mid-Auction analysis forum.  If that topic is not worth the headache, then burn it down, but don't shut guests out of the wealth of knowledge and experience of all the members.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2014, 05:55:16 PM »
I don't get doing this. I feel that this hobby is relatively small and sharing information among collectors is very beneficial.  It looks like the general discussion forums from each topic heading are gone if you are not logged in as a member.  From Common Poster Subjects, the topics like authentication and restoration are not accessible.

Regarding the authentication, I know that MPT, MPA, NSFGE and this forum, APF, have saved me money over the years. If the information on this forum, helps keep even $1 out of the hands of poster forgers, then that is a positive contribution to all collectors.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and restricting the flow of information may force people to seek it elsewhere. I like to test drive forums before I join. I bet some people that started out as guests eventually join and contribute to the forum.

This action seems excessive to mitigate the complaints of the Mid-Auction analysis forum.  If that topic is not worth the headache, then burn it down, but don't shut guests out of the wealth of knowledge and experience of all the members.

so well said. I applaud this response

clap

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2014, 06:28:46 PM »

I think potokar couldn't find any more threads to "move" and he was bored so he came up with this ridiculous idea.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2014, 06:45:39 PM »
I think potokar couldn't find any more threads to "move" and he was bored so he came up with this ridiculous idea.

Or, Mr. Cinemasterapistofforums, he was looking for ways to address expressed concerns and decided to test a few things.

BTW, making people jump through hoops is one of the best ways to build actual engagement - see the irrational love of Apple products.  This is nothing new.

The only thing ridiculous is the 'chicken little' responses.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2014, 07:50:20 PM »
You are right, what was I thinking. Censorship has always worked in the past so lets continue it here. Carry on geniuses.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2014, 07:57:07 PM »
Yes, because this is totally censorship. Totally.   eyeroll

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2014, 08:09:26 PM »
yes spicoli...totally.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »
 ;D

Making a section of a forum open to members only is censorship? Im not so sure about that so I am going to have to look it up.

I may have learned a second thing. Its hard to register for this forum. I must have gotten lucky.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2014, 08:26:08 PM »
Censorship requires suppression, which is certainly not the case here.

Calling it censorship is bullshit hyperbole designed to muddy the actual discussion.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »
To even casually and carelessly throw out the word 'censorship' in this regard is downright offensive in lieu of people now and throughout history who endure or did endure legit cases of not being heard or fairly represented.

This is a privately owned forum. About posters.
Thierry and Holiday let us play in their backyard...it isn't a right we have and deserve. Get over it. 
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »
*In checking the technical side of the SMF layout here, individual threads cannot be locked unfortunately. Otherwise that would have been done. Only the larger boards can be.*

So the mid-auction debate WAS a tempest in a teapot...you couldn't lock that thread anyway...by your own admission.... regardless of the vote...so now we know ...and the "No Don't Lock it" vote has clearly won within T's and Holidays parameters...so just unlock everything...

This is speculative...but it does look like during the quest to "lock" the mid-auction thread you stumbled upon the fact that you could only "block" the larger board....so that was done...without any debate..or vote

So we can vote for locking a thread ...but the more contentious and ultimately larger debate was governed without a vote and pushed into action...without the members being "consulted" as part of the process?

(I forgot the "B")

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:04:31 PM by Filmlobbycards »
Tait

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2014, 08:52:03 PM »
So the mid-auction debate WAS a tempest in a teapot...you couldn't lock that thread anyway...by your own admission.... regardless of the vote...so now we know ...and the "No Don't Lock it" vote has clearly won within T's and Holidays parameters...so just unlock everything...

This is speculative...but it does look like during the quest to "lock" the mid-auction thread you stumbled upon the fact that you could only "lock" the larger board....so that was done...without any debate..or vote

So we can vote for locking a thread ...but the more contentious and ultimately larger debate was governed without a vote and pushed into action...without the members being "consulted" as part of the process?

What on Earth are you going on about?  You are confusing 'locking' a thread (making so that one can no longer add posts) with 'blocking' a thread from non-member viewing.  Two different things.

BTW, there was no clear 'winner' in a vote such as this, which from T's 'own parameters' was to gain a general temperature of the room and engage in discussion.  In many ways, we are all losers for having to have the discussion in the first place.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2014, 08:54:22 PM »
To even casually and carelessly throw out the word 'censorship' in this regard is downright offensive in lieu of people now and throughout history who endure or did endure legit cases of not being heard or fairly represented.

laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2014, 09:01:07 PM »
It is a form of censorship........but the definition of censorship is not the issue. You can call it whatever you want......censorship/blocking/information restriction/whatever...it is still wrong, it is not a positive thing, and the majority of people so far who have chimed in think it is a bad idea.

So lets have another vote shall we?

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2014, 09:06:19 PM »
So the longer I collect posters the less mature I will act?  Is this how it all works? I think I see the light! save me Jebus!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2014, 09:08:37 PM »
It is a form of censorship........but the definition of censorship is not the issue. You can call it whatever you want......censorship/blocking/information restriction/whatever...it is still wrong, it is not a positive thing, and the majority of people so far who have chimed in think it is a bad idea.

So lets have another vote shall we?

who needs another vote David. It will wind up the same way:

-------

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2014, 10:05:47 PM »
In many ways, we are all losers for having to have the discussion in the first place.

The first time I've agreed with you....I would extend that and include all the "losers" as being the unfortunate people who will check out this forum as non-members and not even be able to see the best and most active threads...why sign up for something you didn't even know existed?
Tait

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2014, 10:13:20 PM »
I would probably not be participating in them today, and all of you would have lost a lot of awesomeness

One of the few things I can 100% agree with in this thread.  

Cant the mid auction thread be moved into its own members only section?  
If 99.9% would to be open to "guests" except the mid auction thread, whats the big deal?

I know one other forum that has NO mid auction thread and allows NO outing and its growing. Their "censorship" is crushing.  :P

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »
So the longer I collect posters the less mature I will act?  Is this how it all works? I think I see the light! save me Jebus!

Technically those two clowns are dealers but I see your point.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2014, 10:28:21 PM »
The first time I've agreed with you....I would extend that and include all the "losers" as being the unfortunate people who will check out this forum as non-members and not even be able to see the best and most active threads...why sign up for something you didn't even know existed?

They are only losers if they choose to be.  Anyone freaked out by having to register, when you have to register to do just about ANYTHING on the internet now-a-days, may very well deserve the label.  It's simply a fact of operating on the net.

A good example is the Expresso Beans folks.  You can read stuff and get general auction results, but to get any specific data or interaction, then you have to register.  It certainly hasn't seemed to hurt their rolls. It's OK for membership to have occasional privileges.

And those are hardly the 'best' threads on here.  Many would consider the mid-auction thread one of the worst.

So the longer I collect posters the less mature I will act?  Is this how it all works? I think I see the light! save me Jebus!

There is a very specific reason why you will never see me acknowledge, let alone engage in any kind of discussion with Rich.  His last couple of 'mockeries' are a prime example of why, but nothing compared to his past performance.

Cant the mid auction thread be moved into its own members only section?  
If 99.9% would to be open to "guests" except the mid auction thread, whats the big deal?

I know one other forum that has NO mid auction thread and allows NO outing and its growing. Their "censorship" is crushing.  :P

This is the likely outcome, with the mid and post-auction categories being moved their own section called something like - 'Auction Discussion - Register to join the party'...

No big deal at all...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:29:25 PM by archie leach »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2014, 10:40:18 PM »
here's what I think.. Ya wanna make something members only..

how about we drill it down even further - you have to contribute valuable information in order to read other articles.

some of the whiney crybabies who want to shut down parts of the forum have never contributed anything of any substance, yet they are some of the most vocal and also some of the most moronic.

I can't think of any real information some of these members have ever posted. By that measure, the clown from Chicago would only be able to have read one and a half paragraphs....

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2014, 10:47:29 PM »
This discussion should not involve dealers.

Especially the clown prince of bullshit.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2014, 11:31:17 PM »
yes, all dealers should be censored.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2014, 11:32:17 PM »
LIE berman time!

happy1

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2014, 12:28:34 AM »
I had a very special request for how to use this post, and while certainly tempting and appropriate, I feel it would be better served with the following reminder:

Always remember just how

collecting pieces of printed paper really is!

;D ;D ;D
Chris