Author Topic: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions  (Read 69229 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2014, 01:24:28 PM »
Annoying and costly...

I Totally disagree with Mark, and a few others here, outing an auction is not sharing "knowledgable" information. It's not telling me anything informative about the poster(age, release, type of paper, Print quality, etc) it's simply telling me where something is for sale.

The more people that Know, the more it will cost. Why spoil someones chances of a good deal for the "glory" of letting people know what you have found. Do you outers just want the pat on the head, well done son, your fantastic at sniffing out the bargains..  And if as some have said, all the serious collectors will know about them anyway, why bother telling us on here!!  as we will know.

This whole outing subject is about money, full-stop.   Why should we take the chance of paying more, just because these gob-shites want to feel they have achieved something.

Well how about we all post every poster we are going to buy before we buy it.. I wonder how many will post, as I may run you up just for sport.

Couldn't say it better.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2014, 02:53:47 PM »
Personally, I don't think that there are many cases where outing accomplished any change in bidding.  The serious folks already know, and the casual folks simply don't mount a serious threat.

I've seen far too much evidence to the contrary.  Good deals do happen and they do happen on eBay, but had they been posted on here likely would not have been much of a deal at all.  I am reminded of a James Bond door panel for Thunderball that was picked up for peanuts by a forum (MPT) newbie who had a choice to out it or not and to great financial benefit correctly choose not to share it until bidding was closed.

No one disputes Mel contributions (some more helpful than others) to the forum, but there is a certain level of unseemly self-aggrandizement that comes with these types of post at the expense of others.

I, normally a big fan of democracy, do not think that this is one of those times where majority rule should be the measure of determining policy.  The fact that this practice offends a good portion of the community should be enough...

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2014, 02:54:22 PM »
My vote is to have the thread members only.
Very nice compromise. But whatever happens doesnt matter to me.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
I, normally a big fan of democracy, do not think that this is one of those times where majority rule should be the measure of determining policy.  The fact that this practice offends a good portion of the community should be enough...

I agree, but I also hope that exposing the issue in such grand fashion will refrain the perpetrators from constantly outing what they don't want, should the thread be kept open.  They now know that it infuriates a lot of forum members and respect and decency will hopefully prevail.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2014, 03:16:09 PM »
OK, can't change my vote, but I guess if it annoys folks it is probably better to kill it.

But, the site is filled with folks who want to promote their own auctions, so lots of stuff is going to get outed by the sellers anyway.  Where do you draw the line?  Can the seller out his own auctions?  Can I out an auction where the seller is a friend?  How about that one a year ago which was pretty much a pointer toward an obscure live auction that contained a single poster?  How about that To Catch a Thief insert that was being sold for charity?  Should charity auctions be kept secret thus depriving the charity of much needed funds?

Where do we draw that line in the quicksand?
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2014, 03:24:14 PM »

either you believe in democracy or you don't. There isn't a middle ground.

T stated at the start this would be a democratic solution and I would hope he keeps to that concept.

also, who is offended is not always the democratic issue. Everyone on Earth is offended by something other people do and it is not and should not be the arbiter of what is right or wrong.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2014, 03:25:12 PM »
Sorry, stuff just keeps appearing in my brain.

Probably not possible to out Emovie, MPB, Heritage or any of the popular poster specific sites.  Anybody not noticing stuff there simply isn't paying attention and bidders must asssume a free for all.

Still, what about the case where someone questions the validity of a poster and it turns out to be legit, but just underpriced?

Is it ethical or unethical for a member here to tell an ebay seller that he has way undervalued and miscatagorized his poster and that the member doesn't want to cheat him?

All of my hypotheticals have shown up on this forum at some time, and could be considered outing.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2014, 03:30:49 PM »
I think it's quite okay for a forum member to advertize his or her gear.  I have no problem with that.  My problem is when it's gratuitous and arbitrary, just because someone feels like it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2014, 05:18:02 PM »
I've seen far too much evidence to the contrary.  Good deals do happen and they do happen on eBay, but had they been posted on here likely would not have been much of a deal at all.  I am reminded of a James Bond door panel for Thunderball that was picked up for peanuts by a forum (MPT) newbie who had a choice to out it or not and to great financial benefit correctly choose not to share it until bidding was closed.

No one disputes Mel contributions (some more helpful than others) to the forum, but there is a certain level of unseemly self-aggrandizement that comes with these types of post at the expense of others.

Well put. A perfect summation of my thoughts, too.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »
also, who is offended is not always the democratic issue. Everyone on Earth is offended by something other people do and it is not and should not be the arbiter of what is right or wrong.

Case in point: most are offended by your input here, but we all seem to deal with it.

Oh yeah-->  :)
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2014, 05:20:12 PM »
I think it's quite okay for a forum member to advertize his or her gear.  I have no problem with that.  My problem is when it's gratuitous and arbitrary, just because someone feels like it.

T

clap  Yes so right.
It's more than a Hobby...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2014, 06:31:22 PM »
Case in point: most are offended by your input here, but we all seem to deal with it.

Oh yeah-->  :)

awwww.. does Little Benny have a hurty boo-boo...

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2014, 10:06:12 PM »
Why spoil someones chances of a good deal for the "glory" of letting people know what you have found. Do you outers just want the pat on the head, well done son, your fantastic at sniffing out the bargains..  And if as some have said, all the serious collectors will know about them anyway, why bother telling us on here!!  as we will know.

Bingo!

I have learned zero about posters from these outings.

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2014, 10:10:14 PM »
Bingo!

I have learned zero about posters from these outings.

I have learned that they can really really piss people off! :)
Witty signature goes here.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2014, 10:11:06 PM »
I have learned that they can really really piss people off! :)

happy1

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2014, 11:27:31 PM »
The vote as it stands to me is a head scratcher to be quite honest.

The folks that vote keep it open, think about this... for 1 week post everything you are watching or plan to bid on, that simple. One week! every item in the watch list..

• Post-aholic
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2014, 11:56:14 PM »
The vote as it stands to me is a head scratcher to be quite honest.

The folks that vote keep it open, think about this... for 1 week post everything you are watching or plan to bid on, that simple. One week! every item in the watch list..

anything in my watchlist that you guys might be interested in (like Endless Summer) I probably won't win anyway, so who cares??
have at it Ladies & the rest of you too

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2014, 12:13:16 AM »
Do you outers just want the pat on the head, well done son, your fantastic at sniffing out the bargains..  And if as some have said, all the serious collectors will know about them anyway, why bother telling us on here!!  as we will know.

This whole outing subject is about money, full-stop.   Why should we take the chance of paying more, just because these gob-shites want to feel they have achieved something.

Well how about we all post every poster we are going to buy before we buy it.. I wonder how many will post, as I may run you up just for sport.

And these, again, are the main issues - particularly the last point.  But we have belaboured this in the past and those on the other side of the fence just do not "get" the argument.  It's been 5 years of arguments on this subject already...
Chris

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2014, 12:22:51 AM »
anything in my watchlist that you guys might be interested in (like Endless Summer) I probably won't win anyway, so who cares??
have at it Ladies & the rest of you too

That endless summer looks tempting...

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2014, 12:26:14 AM »
And these, again, are the main issues - particularly the last point.  But we have belaboured this in the past and those on the other side of the fence just do not "get" the argument.  It's been 5 years of arguments on this subject already...

5 years of this saga.  Absolutely ridiculous.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2014, 12:28:38 AM »
Yup.. just like political issues... those on either side will never see eye to eye (or choose to).

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2014, 12:43:07 AM »
Yup.. just like political issues... those on either side will never see eye to eye (or choose to).

politics
religion
guns
guns & religion
steak vs seafood
Coke and Pepsi
more flavor, less filling

the list is endliess

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2014, 12:57:17 AM »
 cool1

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2014, 02:36:11 AM »
politics
religion
guns
guns & religion
steak vs seafood
Coke and Pepsi
more flavor, less filling

the list is endliess

Only thing we all agree on is global warming, oh wait...
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2014, 09:56:50 AM »
Rich can you post those as links so it easier to just click to bid on them  ;D