Author Topic: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions  (Read 69093 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Your thoughts on OUTING Ebay auctions
« Reply #275 on: November 19, 2014, 07:13:13 PM »
.................. so as you drill down through the information, it means you're all hoping to find a Star Wars Birthday poster listed in the wrong ebay category, incorrectly titled in such a way that because you're looking through Beanie Babies and some dummy forgot to change his template from Beanie Baby to Entertainment Memorabilia. Not that it doesn't happen, but again, it's such a rare situation as to be mostly non-existent.

Precisely. 

And, I reckon this might be the only reason someone may get upset.  That rare one-off occurance that may set one apart.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #276 on: November 19, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »
It was only after I hung around a while and realized that it had the potential to hurt my fellow collectors as much it might help them, that I instead switched to PMs and emails.  We all go through our own personal learning curves here...

Right.

And in terms of what is realistically workable, poor old Eric might have his hands so full in directing all the newbies down the path of moral righteousness, that this may inadvertantly scare away any new newbie, newly introduced to this or any other such forum.

It ain't workable.  And so, to my mind, it should just be celebrated as to how the internet works.

(Apologies about all the separated responses.  Wasn't intended to be so intensive.)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #277 on: November 19, 2014, 07:53:35 PM »
Right.

And in terms of what is realistically workable, poor old Eric might have his hands so full in directing all the newbies down the path of moral righteousness, that this may inadvertantly scare away any new newbie, newly introduced to this or any other such forum.

It ain't workable.  And so, to my mind, it should just be celebrated as to how the internet works.

(Apologies about all the separated responses.  Wasn't intended to be so intensive.)

that's right..
+1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #278 on: November 19, 2014, 10:03:05 PM »

Sending a PM/email instead of dumping a link for all to see isn't workable?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #279 on: November 19, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »
they're bloody posters for fucks sake.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #280 on: November 19, 2014, 10:39:13 PM »

notworthy.gif

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #281 on: November 19, 2014, 11:21:05 PM »

aahhh.. yep!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #282 on: November 20, 2014, 01:33:53 AM »

And that's where you lose sight of the problem.....   Talk about can't see the wood for the trees.

The problem is Money. 

If you have the chance to pick up a poster cheaper than the average price, what is wrong with that?  The more people who know about it, chances are the price will rise, costing more. 

It's that simple, why make someone pay more unless your a dealer, or have a plentiful supply of money and don't care what you pay... 
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #283 on: November 20, 2014, 02:46:49 AM »
Except that every single person who collects posters has more money than they need. Each poster is a luxury. Nothing wrong with getting a bargain, but it's only a bargain for someone who can afford to waste money on luxuries. Tell the bloke down the road sleeping in a cardboard box about the bargain Star Wars quad you got for only a third of its " real value" and if he agrees with you I'll rethink.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #284 on: November 20, 2014, 03:23:05 AM »
Except that every single person who collects posters has more money than they need. Each poster is a luxury. Nothing wrong with getting a bargain, but it's only a bargain for someone who can afford to waste money on luxuries. Tell the bloke down the road sleeping in a cardboard box about the bargain Star Wars quad you got for only a third of its " real value" and if he agrees with you I'll rethink.

sm1

-------

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #285 on: November 20, 2014, 11:58:40 AM »

This makes no sense at all with regards to outing auctions. The guy up the road from me who has a house worth over a Million, and makes 350k a year thinks I'm daft for buying bits of paper, so what does that prove.....nothing...   We're all different, and have different levels of income, and how we choose to spend that is entirely our own choosing, but chiefly, It's Because It's not the point that is being discussed here.

Talk about shooting off at tangents.... eyeroll

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2015, 05:40:04 PM »
Um...I'm dumb,er...NEW.(Same thing I guess.) What exactly is "OUTING" auctions. I thought at first it was blowing the whistle on sellers selling fakes as originals...but it seems to be more like drawing attention to auctions you are watching? Is that it? Where is the link to reputable sellers? Ha! I need to go exploring more....

Thanks, pardon my blundering about and CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2015, 06:01:45 PM »
Not dumb at all and welcome aboard! Love your avatar.   welcome1

Outing an auction is taking say an auction listed on e-bay and posting it for all to see. Some times these auctions may not have gained the notice of some of our members and sold cheaply because they all did not know about it for whatever reason. Now that everyone knows about it there may be more bidders raising the price since it is now out in the open, outed, for all to see.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:02:22 PM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2015, 06:26:42 PM »
Also, people outing auctions never do so on items they intend to bid on and for obvious reasons.  They selfishly out what they're passing on.  One of the people who was fervently outing auctions was doing so because they were too expensive for him.  But too expensive for someone doesn't mean too expensive for everyone.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2015, 06:36:25 PM »
Well,thank you eatbrie and Undead!  No,I quite understand about sharing an auction you've got your eye on---for fear of being outbid (which is my life's story on all of the good things I have truly wanted it seems. I have a ton of junk, but... usually always end up in 2nd place or further down the line for the really nice items I want. Waaaagh!). I appreciate the education.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #290 on: January 29, 2015, 06:02:45 PM »
The reality is that Outing an auction on this forum has little or no negative effect (Read: Higher sale price) on the outcome as the very nature of this forum, and its contributors, means that everyone have their eyes peeled on all the known auction sites around the world.

And if someone knows I am a Bond fan, then someone may helpfully bring my attention to an item.  And if the Wanted Forum has a list of my Wants, then the damning information really is all to the fore.

There are so many contradictions, within even this site, as to what Outing means, never mind the ethos of the internet which I believe to be one of 'sharing information freely.'

It's an interesting conundrum.  But my feeling is that if we Truly believe in the good of the internet and all that it offers, then we have to celebrate that, even when it 'could' directly not serve us on a personal level.

I would prefer to learn from all that goes on here on this forum, than to save £30 on a poster, once, maybe. 

The greater good.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #291 on: January 29, 2015, 06:23:02 PM »
The reality is that Outing an auction on this forum has little or no negative effect (Read: Higher sale price) on the outcome as the very nature of this forum, and its contributors, means that everyone have their eyes peeled on all the known auction sites around the world.

sm1

It's an interesting conundrum.  But my feeling is that if we Truly believe in the good of the internet and all that it offers, then we have to celebrate that, even when it 'could' directly not serve us on a personal level.

ahhh.. yep!

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2015, 07:48:58 PM »

And if someone knows I am a Bond fan, then someone may helpfully bring my attention to an item.  And if the Wanted Forum has a list of my Wants, then the damning information really is all to the fore.

There are so many contradictions, within even this site, as to what Outing means, never mind the ethos of the internet which I believe to be one of 'sharing information freely.'

I would prefer to learn from all that goes on here on this forum, than to save £30 on a poster, once, maybe. 

The greater good.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2015, 08:24:26 PM »
Also, people outing auctions never do so on items they intend to bid on and for obvious reasons. 

Case closed.

The rest is all philosophy.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2015, 10:50:24 PM »
Case closed.

Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #295 on: January 29, 2015, 11:53:57 PM »
Case closed.

clap clap clap clap clap clap

I would love all these people who think it's alright to out auctions to give me a precise list of what they intend to bid on next.
Please, humor me.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #296 on: January 29, 2015, 11:57:01 PM »

False.  I can tell you from experience that I have had to pay more money on some items because they were outed by some members of this forum.  I have even lost some.

T
My Personal Collection

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #297 on: January 30, 2015, 01:47:28 AM »
I'm 110% behind T on this as you all know.

There are three kinds of people who WANT outing, and they are

1, Dealers
2, People with too much money, and don't care what they pay
3, The ignorant

The rest of us have far too much common sense.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #298 on: January 30, 2015, 02:09:32 AM »
4, The asshole

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #299 on: January 30, 2015, 02:51:58 AM »
Case closed.

actually, it's all philosophy on both sides of the argument

I would love all these people who think it's alright to out auctions to give me a precise list of what they intend to bid on next.
Please, humor me.

Raymond Chandler posters. whichever ones I still need.
or gambling.. I like gambling posters also....

-------