Author Topic: Question regarding a Restoration Studio  (Read 11649 times)

Offline Movie Poster Exchange

• Hobbyist
Question regarding a Restoration Studio
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:11:40 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of or used a studio called Fourth Cone? I received an email from them and checked out their site. Curious to know if anyone is familiar. Their FAQ states two troubling things: they dont assume responsibility/loss for your material while in their possession and they expect full payment before releasing the material.

Bruce

Re: Question regarding a Restoration Studio
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 02:06:39 PM »
Given those two troubling things, why go further?

It sounds like the old joke: “Two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:48:55 PM »
they dont assume responsibility/loss for your material while in their possession

looked at their site.. cross them off the list

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:09:27 PM »
From doing a little cross research on the owners, I'm pretty sure that all 3 are former employees of Poster Mountain.

here's the website addy: http://www.fourthconerestoration.com/

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:15:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:43:15 PM »
They dont have a lot of examples in their before and after portfolio, but here is one for The Seven Samurai. Looking at other examples online, I think this is a B2 for the 1975RR but they have it listed as an original '54 release on their site.:

I found a rolled copy on ebay, also listed as the '75RR:

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 03:49:44 PM »
Well their prices seem very reasonable and I'm tired of paying $200 (including all mailing back and forth) for easy linen-backing, so I'll give them a chance on my next project.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 04:22:26 PM »
All three are the girls that were at poster mountain:

http://www.postermountain.blogspot.com/2011/09/welcome-to-poster-mountain.html

Somebody needs to put together a family tree...  Wasn't Poster Mountain a break away from another fella as well as a couple of other restorers...

I am sure pre-made wallpaper paste and acrylic pencils will follow them over to the new place too.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:25:51 PM by Charlie »

Mirosae

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
^Yes. I too read it is run by women.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 04:34:18 PM »
Their website makes that clear.  ;D

-Jeff

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 04:36:02 PM »
Their website makes that clear.  ;D

Fourth cone clear...  ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »
Putting together so-called "family trees" for ALL the companies (not just poster restoration co's) that have started this way might take a while.

And I wonder what brand of pre-made wallpaper paste PM uses? Home Depot?   eyeroll2
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:09:21 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »
And in California "covenants not to compete" are unenforceable so it's impossible to stop your employees from setting up competing businesses.  In other states employers can make employees agree not to set up competing businesses in certain fields and/or geographic areas.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:33:33 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 10:41:12 PM »
From doing a little cross research on the owners, I'm pretty sure that all 3 are former employees of Poster Mountain.

here's the website addy: http://www.fourthconerestoration.com/

yes, so that means they should be doing good work.. but that insurance thingy is pretty objectionable and I would recommend they fix that.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 10:45:29 PM »
Agree... that they take no responsibility for one's posters, while in their care, isn't a good thing.

-Jeff

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »
And I wonder what brand of pre-made wallpaper paste PM uses? Home Depot?   eyeroll2

I don't see any other reason there would be 10 5-gallon buckets of the stuff in this picture.  But I am sure that they must be either doing wall paper on the side or getting buckets (for what reason) from a wallpaper crew after they are done.

One could also assume they use spackle for paperfills...

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6736.msg126863.html#msg126863

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »
I emailed and asked John about this. He wrote me back & said they do prepare their own wheat paste and also do use this product. He said it is acid-free, and is made with an added carboxy-methyl cellulose (which paper conservators use, when mending paper). He also said it is also very easily reversible.

I can't imagine that the product was chosen randomly "off the shelf." I'm sure there were research-type discussions or emails between PM and the manufacturer's (Gardner-Gibson) chemist about its use with old and vintage (poster) paper, prior to them choosing to use it.

And on any poster, newer or older, let alone very rare or expensive pieces.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
He also said it is also very easily reversible.

reversible ????? NO

removable, yes.. but only for remounting again as any other purpose would be 1000% self defeating

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 05:09:19 PM »
reversible ????? NO

removable, yes.. but only for remounting again as any other purpose would be 1000% self defeating

Yes,... oops...  ;)

water soluble and easily removable... if something would need to be re-backed down the road.

-Jeff

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 05:49:59 PM »
I emailed and asked John about this. He wrote me back & said they do prepare their own wheat paste and also do use this product. He said it is acid-free, and is made with an added carboxy-methyl cellulose (which paper conservators use, when mending paper). He also said it is also very easily reversible.

I can't imagine that the product was chosen randomly "off the shelf." I'm sure there were research-type discussions or emails between PM and the manufacturer's (Gardner-Gibson) chemist about its use with old and vintage (poster) paper, prior to them choosing to use it.

And on any poster, newer or older, let alone very rare or expensive pieces.

Research, research, research... If I were to send something I would make sure and ask for the wheat paste.  There is a lot of stuff in that mix that may not hold up.  Who knows when it might break down, maybe not.  It is also acid neutral-ish pH 6-7.  Acid free is used so loosely these days.  However wheat paste before being buffered is 5 - 6.5... I would have to check the pH after buffering it and after cooking it.  Another experiment to add to the list.

http://www.gardner-gibson.com/files/uploads/7785_DY_TDS.pdf

Here is one that I think those who do use wheat paste, use:

http://talasonline.com/photos/instructions/aytex-P_info.pdf

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 02:05:56 PM »
Hey all, I wanted to give the ladies at Fourth Cone a shout out for the quality of work that was done on 3 pieces I gave them recently.  They were professional, very reasonably priced, and the results speak for themselves.  All in all, a great experience, highly recommended, and I would use them again in a heart beat :)

Here is the before and after of Postman and Purple Noon, basically just linen-backed.  They were pretty mint so not much restoration was needed:

The most work went into the Pressbook cover for I live my life.  I was really wowed when I saw it.  The fold line is almost non-existent, and they only had to do minimal touch-up to the yellow back ground to fix some foxing and water stains.  Amazing :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 02:12:21 PM »
All 3 look really great, Brian.

Congrats!

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 03:53:58 PM »
Brian, thanks so much for sharing! Quick question, what kind of linen is it ? Hard -thick or medium -thick linen linen?

And is it different a LB for your pressbook cover?

have to say. They are just 3 stunning posters.

hate you blowingkiss.gif

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 04:14:33 PM »
All three look great
Chris

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 04:21:59 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Yeah, today was a good day :)

Rosa, the posters are on the thicker linen, not the linen I have seen in most European posters that is thinner and causes the poster to crinkle some.

The Pressbook cover was gel-backed, which means there is no visible backing, just a few thin strips of paper to reinforce certain parts.