Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2166516 times)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8725 on: February 14, 2022, 11:16:01 AM »
The photos of the Dracula insert in the upcoming signature auction make the restoration look a little poor. I feel like Fine/Very Fine is a stretch based on the condition issues noted.

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/horror/dracula-universal-1931-fine-very-fine-on-linen-insert-14-x-36-/p/7272-51005.s?ic=Home-FeaturedItems-071515

The major problem with that Dracula insert seems to be fading IMHO (what looks orange should look red, right?)
In the other hand, those with pockets deep enough to bid on it probably don't want to wait until another example appears...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 11:31:20 AM by 110x75 »
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8726 on: February 14, 2022, 12:01:50 PM »
The major problem with that Dracula insert seems to be fading IMHO (what looks orange should look red, right?)
In the other hand, those with pockets deep enough to bid on it probably don't want to wait until another example appears...

The only two I've seen in person looked just like this copy,
Will you post yours so we can see the red you are talking about?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #8727 on: February 14, 2022, 12:29:13 PM »
The only two I've seen in person looked just like this copy,
Will you post yours so we can see the red you are talking about?

Easy, cowboy!  :)
I used "seems to be" and "IMHO" just because I am not 100% certain. Having doubts is still acceptable around here or did I miss something?
I'm not lucky enough to have seen one of these in person, so I have nothing to compare against. I did see some posters wich suffered discoloration for being exposed to light, and in those posters the red areas turned into an orange -ish color.
The reds in the styles A and F one sheets for Dracula, certainly look "really red", so if the colors of the insert were always meant to be those that can be appreciated in the Heritage example, its surely an odd choice from the poster makers.
Matias

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8728 on: February 15, 2022, 05:57:09 AM »
Easy, cowboy!  :)
I used "seems to be" and "IMHO" just because I am not 100% certain. Having doubts is still acceptable around here or did I miss something?
I'm not lucky enough to have seen one of these in person, so I have nothing to compare against. I did see some posters wich suffered discoloration for being exposed to light, and in those posters the red areas turned into an orange -ish color.
The reds in the styles A and F one sheets for Dracula, certainly look "really red", so if the colors of the insert were always meant to be those that can be appreciated in the Heritage example, its surely an odd choice from the poster makers.

No worries, you just got me all excited - I thought maybe you had another copy to compare it to.
As I said, the other two I've seen have colors pretty much like this (as does one style of half sheet).
The colors definitely give it a creepy and atmospheric look, they may have been all found together, I'm not sure about their origin; other than they came from the West Coast.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #8729 on: February 15, 2022, 09:35:05 AM »
I thought maybe you had another copy to compare it to.

I wish!

If all known copies look like this, there's a chance they were printed like that, yep. We won't know for sure unless another copy in different condition appears.
I just find odd that if all the other pieces from the promotional campaign use such bold coloring, the insert looks so "washed" (for lack of a better term).
Maybe it has to do with the printing process, as stone lithography was used for one sheets (wich keep their bold colors) but the insert and lobby cards were offset-printed, and maybe those inks aged differently?
The dust-jacket of the photoplay book is a good example of what I mean. This 2 copies were auctioned by Heritage, and as can be seen, light has affected one more than the other

Matias

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8730 on: February 15, 2022, 03:40:17 PM »
I agree those are very different.
Red definitely fade first, but one thing I have noticed with fading is that the lighter colors will also usually wash out completely.
In the book example you posted, the tag line block ("was he beast...man...") is consistently light orange on both of those, showing no signs of fading.
I wonder if there were two print runs on those covers?

This one is interesting:
The colors remain consistent after the fold line goes under the cover, where you think it would be far less likely to be faded.

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8731 on: February 23, 2022, 05:32:14 PM »
any bids on the jimmy bond  :D

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8732 on: April 22, 2022, 08:02:44 PM »
Just checked HA upcoming auction.  Well, tomorrow ;)  Lots of good stuff.  I see a dozen posters with my name on it but it's going to be hard.  I have kids' soccer, tennis, football and soccer games tomorrow.  Busy Saturday!!!  And I'm coaching one soccer game.  Shit!!! 

Good luck to all bidding.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8733 on: April 30, 2022, 04:05:07 PM »

Heritage flogging the film festival poster as a R49 this time
They don't listen. carry on nothing to see here. more donations to trump no doubt

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8734 on: June 09, 2022, 10:36:24 PM »
Sorry, I dont know which thread to stick this....

This looks like a very big poster banner thingy (Vinyl)
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/928011064582417/

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 11:22:23 PM by 50s »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8735 on: June 09, 2022, 11:55:53 PM »
Haha love it!!!  Was it taken from a helicopter?  I’m sure someone will buy it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8736 on: June 10, 2022, 04:36:21 AM »
 ; That is an excellent photo! I thought it was tricky trying to photograph bus shelter posters, but this is on another level. 

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8737 on: June 28, 2022, 07:55:28 AM »
https://www.ketv.com/article/omaha-auction-memorabilia-westwood-cinema-movie-theater/40351200

Somewhere in middle America -
Anyone planning to attend (and taking orders)?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8738 on: June 28, 2022, 11:57:31 PM »
I was there a couple days ago.  Not that it matters much anyway, I would never attend something like this.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8739 on: November 18, 2022, 09:27:43 PM »
Just checked HA Sig auction for tmr.  Right on time!!!!  Some good stuff there.  A few I might try to win.  Prob won't.  Cracking my knuckles.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #8740 on: November 18, 2022, 10:18:34 PM »
Just checked HA Sig auction for tmr.  Right on time!!!!  Some good stuff there.  A few I might try to win.  Prob won't.  Cracking my knuckles.

T

Just don’t bid on what I want and we will be good!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8741 on: November 18, 2022, 11:31:33 PM »

T

You must be looking at a different section than I am.
I see lots of faded and restored pieces and am just shaking my head.

Why did Hall buy a CGC graded 9.2  title card for The Golem and not only crack it out (which is fine of course), but then put tape on the back??  moron1
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8742 on: November 19, 2022, 02:47:50 PM »
Re: HA Auction

Let this be a lesson for the kiddies today: 
Don't spend a fortune amassing an incredible lobby card collection and then display them all in direct sunlight so they get faded and the value destroyed.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8743 on: November 19, 2022, 03:03:23 PM »
Luckily for me, I don't buy single lobby cards, so I totally skipped the morning auction.

But I see a lot of fading even with posters.  Case in point:

HA vs MINE

There are plenty more like this.  I really hope it's a bad picture, but then again, why would you advertise something at your Signature auction with a bad picture?

T
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 03:09:59 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8744 on: November 19, 2022, 03:28:19 PM »
Luckily for me, I don't buy single lobby cards, so I totally skipped the morning auction.

It's nice when what you collect can be found that way.
Would never have gotten my Metropolis card if I had waited for a set instead of jumping on a single card. Probably couldn't have afforded a set anyways, and not everyone wants a Metropolis lobby either, so it all works out pretty good.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8745 on: November 19, 2022, 03:31:43 PM »
Trust me, there are a lot of lobbies that I would like to own and never will because I can't find it as a set or if I do it is too expensive.  I'm fine with that.  I am just not interested in single lobby cards.  Never have.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #8746 on: November 19, 2022, 07:05:46 PM »
I'm also quite shocked at the amount of fading in all the Uni Horror cards that are offered in this Signature Sale.  I think that explains why most are underperforming because in terms of rarity and desirability, they're as high as it gets for lobby cards in the hobby.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #8747 on: November 24, 2022, 11:36:27 PM »
That was an amazing collection.  Bang on the best available cards for every film, pity about the fading but at least he got to enjoy them.  Presumably.

Re: HA Auction

Let this be a lesson for the kiddies today: 
Don't spend a fortune amassing an incredible lobby card collection and then display them all in direct sunlight so they get faded and the value destroyed.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8748 on: February 20, 2023, 01:12:31 PM »
Getting this thread up where we can find, as there is some interesting duplication coming up between Emovie's "major" auction and Heritage's Signature auction. Not just the usual Star Wars items, but actual hard to find things.
And both are closing on the same day in April.
Good luck to all consignors.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8749 on: April 28, 2023, 05:08:00 PM »
I just checked HA's upcoming signature auction, and, wow, it is a first for me, there is nothing of interest.  Yeah, my wallet!  Everything that I could be interested in is unfortunately linenbacked, so it's a hard pass, but to have nothing is a first for me in the 20 years I have been following the sale. 

My kids will be happy.  No phone during their soccer/baseball games.

I also already own 72 items, so it will be fun to see if my stuff is worth anything.

T
My Personal Collection