Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2195714 times)

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8775 on: October 04, 2023, 03:00:28 PM »
To be honest, I don't even know who's in charge at HA anymore.  They had a few erroneous listings at their last Sig Auction which I pointed out, they eventually (after a while) removed those listings, but no one ever got back to me, let alone said thank you.  I feel like the whole movie poster side of that auction house, which, I get it, is a drop in the bucket compared to their other auctions, is without a driver since Grey left.

This is the feeling I get when looking at their poster stuff now.
Yes, their three signature auctions do more than any other company does in a year, they still do their weeklies plus the new showcase auctions, and they advertise plus make great catalogs - BUT, somehow it still gives an overall feeling that they don't care. It's not enough money to move the needle for them, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop poster auctions entirely at some point in the near future and just include them as parts of their overall entertainment auctions.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8776 on: October 04, 2023, 03:09:54 PM »
You may be right.  First there was this AWFUL decision to change their weekly bidding model to "you must place a bid to be able to bid again later" which was, well, awful and probably turned away of a lot of bidders (they have changed it back since); and then Grey left and I don't think anyone who knows anything took over.  I mean, the amount of mistakes they make is staggering.  And then there is the zero communication.  If they stop and Bruce stops, then what?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #8777 on: October 04, 2023, 04:06:12 PM »
HA hasn’t even responded to any of my consignments.
Bruce has taken them
Propstore was interested.
HA? Don’t know. I have sent several replies for different items and no emails back.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8778 on: October 12, 2023, 01:35:38 PM »
I wonder what this one will realize.  Some folks rate it the best cover art for the series:

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #8779 on: October 12, 2023, 02:13:01 PM »
I doubt it will go as high as the other one. Condition isn't the greatest.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8780 on: October 12, 2023, 03:46:45 PM »
I doubt it will go as high as the other one. Condition isn't the greatest.

Yeah I noticed the minor condition issues also.  Also different from the recent one for part I, it's the more common artwork, although in more of the video store release style.  I think some folks may put a premium on it for that reason, though.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #8781 on: October 12, 2023, 04:48:26 PM »
Maybe so. This poster wasn’t sent out folded though, but I know some people don’t mind folds and they can add character to certain posters. I sold my copy of this some time ago and the buyer said it was a hard one to find, so maybe if it is scarce the price will reflect this.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8782 on: October 12, 2023, 08:10:48 PM »
I'd like to know what it ends up at bc the design is extremely common, so if it sells for a lot of money, it's people just loving home video posters, I guess.

Plus it's in terrible condition.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8783 on: October 13, 2023, 03:00:28 PM »
I'd like to know what it ends up at bc the design is extremely common, so if it sells for a lot of money, it's people just loving home video posters, I guess.

Plus it's in terrible condition.

T

From Poster Price Police to Poster Condition Police!  Haha.  Although it is a more modern poster, it's pretty darn rare, as SJ said.  As you know with your older stuffs featuring Ms. Bardot, etc. that you've mentioned you've only seen one or a few copies, one can't be too choosy with the condition.

On another note, being Friday the 13th today, and in the Halloween spirit and all, I think that will have an effect on the interest in it.

Currently 19 watchers with just under 2 days to go: link to auction
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 03:03:16 PM by Neo »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8784 on: October 13, 2023, 04:47:18 PM »
All I'm saying is that those 3 (UK, French, Italian) are all over the place, larger, and better looking.  The British one even comes ROLLED!!!  Not rare, I get it, but at least you can see them hahaha

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8785 on: October 13, 2023, 08:43:15 PM »
All I'm saying is that those 3 (UK, French, Italian) are all over the place, larger, and better looking.  The British one even comes ROLLED!!!  Not rare, I get it, but at least you can see them hahaha

I know what you mean about very similar artwork being available on other formats.

With this one you might be right, that there may be enthusiastic bidding from folks who really appreciate the video store style.  There could be an entire new topic on video stores.  Such a long lost era.  When Blockbuster stores and their DVD mail service ended in 2014, I started a subscription to Netflix DVDs and now they just stopped their DVD service a couple weeks ago.  :'( This one is also from the golden age of video stores, before Blockbuster started to dominate, etc. 

Now this auction is at 22 watchers.  I'd be surprised if any of the other formats for this title would have that many watchers.  Looking forward to see the results of this one.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 11:25:35 PM by Neo »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8786 on: October 13, 2023, 10:36:38 PM »
I'm one of the watchers, even though I obviously won't be bidding.

Let's see.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #8787 on: October 14, 2023, 05:37:13 AM »
I don’t think watchers mean as much as they used to. I had two auctions last week with over 25 watchers each. And only 3-4 people ended up bidding on the item. Maybe I’m wrong on this.

I also agree with T, in my eyes it’s not that rare (image wise). Maybe the poster itself yes. But like T mentioned there’s already a lot of posters with that image already. Im all for rare. I over paid for a Nightmare on Elm 2 UK video store poster because I haven’t seen that image before and would consider that one rare vs this one..

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #8788 on: October 14, 2023, 08:56:37 AM »
This one doesn't pop up that often. I don't think it will do anywhere near as well as the part 1 poster though (but would be very happy if it did) and personally I would take an Elm Street 2 over this.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 08:59:13 AM by skyjackers »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8789 on: October 16, 2023, 02:18:35 PM »
I don’t think watchers mean as much as they used to. I had two auctions last week with over 25 watchers each. And only 3-4 people ended up bidding on the item. Maybe I’m wrong on this.

I also agree with T, in my eyes it’s not that rare (image wise). Maybe the poster itself yes. But like T mentioned there’s already a lot of posters with that image already. Im all for rare. I over paid for a Nightmare on Elm 2 UK video store poster because I haven’t seen that image before and would consider that one rare vs this one..

Impressive number of watchers.  Sometimes with high Buy it Now prices, I think a lot of folks watch but only small percentage of them would purchase at the current price.  You never know with sellers; they might have 50% off sales or change the listing to no reserve auctions, etc.  With no reserve auctions, it seems like the greater the number of watchers, the more will potentially bid, and who knows how high.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8790 on: October 16, 2023, 02:32:55 PM »
I'm one of the watchers, even though I obviously won't be bidding.

Let's see.

T

The ending sale at about $65 seems like a reasonable number, all things considered.

How about this Friday the 13th 3 UK video poster that ends in just under 2 days?  I think the 3D effect artwork is cool.  Apparently a lot of folks who are really into the series rate it at the lower end of the series' artworks.  How long will this Friday the 13th video poster mid-auction analysis continue in chronological order?

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8791 on: October 16, 2023, 05:36:58 PM »
*almost chronological order. I had a forgetful moment; of course, the "final chapter" one mentioned previously is part 4 in the series.  Doh.gif

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #8792 on: October 16, 2023, 06:02:46 PM »
Impressive number of watchers.  Sometimes with high Buy it Now prices, I think a lot of folks watch but only small percentage of them would purchase at the current price.  You never know with sellers; they might have 50% off sales or change the listing to no reserve auctions, etc.  With no reserve auctions, it seems like the greater the number of watchers, the more will potentially bid, and who knows how high.

That’s what I had. No reserve 100 comic lot. 20-30 watchers. Not even a last minute bid. It was bid on the second last day and that was it. Sold then.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8793 on: October 16, 2023, 07:17:47 PM »
Oh darn.  Yeah that's rough, all the watchers and hardly any bidding, with the no reserve listing ($0.99 starting price I assume).  Of course it's possible that someone interested could be sneaky and have multiple accounts to watch the item, luring the seller to believe there's a lot of interest and then it sells at much less than the seller was hoping for.  I think it's unlikely that many buyers would do that, but it's possible.

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #8794 on: October 19, 2023, 05:37:05 AM »
They watch to follow prices; they are presumably people in similar business and having the exact same posters.   
And yes, never thought of that, they may use pseudo so that you can't do link between the pseudo and their professional account.
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8795 on: October 19, 2023, 10:05:33 AM »
They watch to follow prices; they are presumably people in similar business and having the exact same posters.   
And yes, never thought of that, they may use pseudo so that you can't do link between the pseudo and their professional account.

Yeah some watchers are potentially sellers with the same or similar stuff.  It's clear that sellers for specific styles have similar trending prices.  With less common stuff, I think that sellers more often do what they want and aren't as concerned with other sales, as there's not nearly as much of a trend in those cases.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8796 on: November 26, 2023, 03:12:48 PM »
The title art artwork on this one looked really zany, and I was surprised to see the price jump so quickly to over $300 in the first day of a 10 day auction:

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #8797 on: November 26, 2023, 07:16:20 PM »
@Neo That poster is insanely rare. I wasn't even sure one actually existed until now. It's one I've kept an eye out for since I first started collecting. It's not the most popular film but it's still a cult film, slasher, and 80s. That combo makes it very desirable at the moment. I was going to consider bidding but may not do so anymore because my money has gone elsewhere.  faint2.gif
I might have been willing to bid that high if I hadn't spent money elsewhere.  Doh.gif
Love the artwork and the film itself was decent. Maybe another day.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8798 on: November 26, 2023, 07:59:44 PM »
@Neo That poster is insanely rare. I wasn't even sure one actually existed until now. It's one I've kept an eye out for since I first started collecting. It's not the most popular film but it's still a cult film, slasher, and 80s. That combo makes it very desirable at the moment. I was going to consider bidding but may not do so anymore because my money has gone elsewhere.  faint2.gif
I might have been willing to bid that high if I hadn't spent money elsewhere.  Doh.gif
Love the artwork and the film itself was decent. Maybe another day.

Sounds like you know your stuff with this genre.  It's cool to see pieces that are so rare to the point of not knowing whether they even exist to appear for sale.  Looks like this one is in excellent condition also.  It'll be interesting to see how the auction goes.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8799 on: December 04, 2023, 04:07:31 PM »
Just checked the first page of Bruce’s upcoming auction.  Man, I’ve been after that Star Wars 7 sheet forever, but I won’t touch it libenbacked.  Why do people have to linen everything?

T
My Personal Collection