Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2195626 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8750 on: June 30, 2023, 03:59:35 PM »

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #8751 on: July 01, 2023, 03:34:05 PM »
Good ol' Olen Ray!  ;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8752 on: July 06, 2023, 04:32:55 PM »
Good ol' Olen Ray!  ;D

Yeah, I don't know much about the guy or his work, but interesting filmography.  Monster a GoGo mentioned this one in one of his acquisitions threads so it must be a classic.  happy1

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.msg250158.html#msg250158

Brude also mentioned this movie, and seeing it with Tobe Hooper aka Leatherface, who starred in Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers.

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,872.msg192113.html#msg192113

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #8753 on: July 09, 2023, 05:05:44 PM »
Yeah, I don't know much about the guy or his work, but interesting filmography.  Monster a GoGo mentioned this one in one of his acquisitions threads so it must be a classic.  happy1

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.msg250158.html#msg250158

Brude also mentioned this movie, and seeing it with Tobe Hooper aka Leatherface, who starred in Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers.

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,872.msg192113.html#msg192113

His words "nude women are the best special effect" says a lot about his films,,,,  ;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8754 on: August 12, 2023, 02:26:25 PM »
The bidding battle started early for this one:

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8755 on: August 12, 2023, 03:22:07 PM »
The bidding battle started early for this one:

That can't be right. Wasn't someone here insisting that poster was only a $300-600 max piece?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #8756 on: August 12, 2023, 03:45:29 PM »
That can't be right. Wasn't someone here insisting that poster was only a $300-600 max piece?
It WAS not even two years ago. One desperate person overpays and now everyone thinks it's worth thousands, and they are selling as such. I had my eyes on the Sleepaway Camp posters for a while now. They were easy to find on eBay for well under that price for the longest time (and I only started collectingin 2019). My comments were made before this became the norm for the poster.  eyeroll

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #8757 on: August 12, 2023, 05:51:12 PM »
Sleepaway Camp has one of the most insane and unsettling final scenes of all time. Like, nightmare inducing. Pretty cool poster, too :)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8758 on: August 12, 2023, 06:11:23 PM »
Sleepaway Camp has one of the most insane and unsettling final scenes of all time. Like, nightmare inducing. Pretty cool poster, too :)

Oh zoinks.  :o  I figured the movie must have some good parts for the posters to be in such high demand.  With that description I'll have to add it to my watchlist.  cool1

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #8759 on: August 12, 2023, 07:47:01 PM »
It WAS not even two years ago. One desperate person overpays and now everyone thinks it's worth thousands, and they are selling as such. I had my eyes on the Sleepaway Camp posters for a while now. They were easy to find on eBay for well under that price for the longest time (and I only started collectingin 2019). My comments were made before this became the norm for the poster.  eyeroll

Were those ones thar were "were easy to find on eBay for well under that price for the longest time" the 2 line version or the 3 line version, and were they unfolded and in nice condition?
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #8760 on: August 12, 2023, 08:21:27 PM »
Were those ones thar were "were easy to find on eBay for well under that price for the longest time" the 2 line version or the 3 line version, and were they unfolded and in nice condition?
The one you have for auction right now is actually the first I've seen unfolded. I have seen examples of both the two line version and three line version and quality differed from good to very good. I don't doubt that current one is probably the most pristine copy out there, hence the appropriate price. I wouldn't be surprised if the final bid on it doubles or more!

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #8761 on: August 13, 2023, 07:34:18 AM »
Oh zoinks.  :o  I figured the movie must have some good parts for the posters to be in such high demand.  With that description I'll have to add it to my watchlist.  cool1

I don’t know. It’s pretty mind searing - you’ll never think of it the same way again. Shuddderrr - wish I had never watched it.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #8762 on: August 13, 2023, 11:51:56 AM »
Again with  the Sleepaway Camp. I sold mine back and am regretting it. Not because of the cost. But my main collection is horror. I get the price above because it’s rolled and as others mentioned the condition is great. But what are the chances now I find a folded one for decent price…

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8763 on: August 13, 2023, 02:43:34 PM »
Again with  the Sleepaway Camp. I sold mine back and am regretting it. Not because of the cost. But my main collection is horror. I get the price above because it’s rolled and as others mentioned the condition is great. But what are the chances now I find a folded one for decent price

With the current demand, at the well known places, very low probability.  It all goes in cycles, though.  I'm sure a lot of the older stuff, that some people think is so vastly superior to modern stuff, and has been in very high demand by a few folks with deep pockets - that stuff will see dips in the market value.  Maybe someday the modern stuff will be more in demand than Metropolis, King Kong, etc., and then it also will potentially face a decline in the market eventually.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #8764 on: August 13, 2023, 03:11:35 PM »
With the current demand, at the well known places, very low probability.  It all goes in cycles, though.  I'm sure a lot of the older stuff, that some people think is so vastly superior to modern stuff, and has been in very high demand by a few folks with deep pockets - that stuff will see dips in the market value.  Maybe someday the modern stuff will be more in demand than Metropolis, King Kong, etc., and then it also will potentially face a decline in the market eventually.

I can wait. I’m in no rush, I guess I just have to keep an eye out. But it’s like Jaws and back to the Future. I still don’t have copies of them because the prices now always seem high for them. Like does everyone and their grandma keep bidding on them or are dealers just scooping them up..

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #8765 on: August 13, 2023, 03:20:43 PM »
I really do look forward to the day that the 4 German Metropolis posters, ZERO Metropolis US One sheets, 4-5 King Kong US 3-sheets (So like less than 20 pieces of paper) are less in demand than the 7 billion Star Wars, Jaws, and Back to the Future posters. Will make my life much more interesting  ;D

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8766 on: August 13, 2023, 04:51:06 PM »
I can wait. I’m in no rush, I guess I just have to keep an eye out. But it’s like Jaws and back to the Future. I still don’t have copies of them because the prices now always seem high for them. Like does everyone and their grandma keep bidding on them or are dealers just scooping them up..

Yeah there are a lot of folks looking to score those, so the demand is still very high, despite the large supply.  As you said, patience is key for a good deal.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8767 on: August 13, 2023, 04:56:52 PM »
I really do look forward to the day that the 4 German Metropolis posters, ZERO Metropolis US One sheets, 4-5 King Kong US 3-sheets (So like less than 20 pieces of paper) are less in demand than the 7 billion Star Wars, Jaws, and Back to the Future posters. Will make my life much more interesting  ;D

The 4, 0, 4-5, etc. *known to exist.  ;).  There could be a warehouse or attic, who knows, with several more.  By the time those who have the few known to exist decide to sell them, it'll depend on how deep the pockets are of the folks who want to win them. 

Some artists who were famous in their time are almost unheard of now whereas others' works like those of Vermeer, etc. who were almost unheard of back in the day are the most treasured.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8768 on: September 26, 2023, 01:58:38 PM »

That's not what I was saying.  The outliers for titles, for example the very few known to exist copies for these older popular films, cannot be compared to the regularly seen versions of newer popular films.  Scarcity is of course a big determining factor in separating the common sales prices for versions that are regularly seen compared to the less common versions - ex. Jaws 6, 7 sheet, etc. vs one sheet, etc.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8769 on: September 26, 2023, 02:05:29 PM »
I really like the colors and style of this UK video poster for Friday the 13th.  The bids have been going up rapidly and still almost 5 days left in the auction.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/256231223290

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8770 on: September 26, 2023, 06:57:39 PM »
Nice!  Waaaaay above my pay grade, unfortunately.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8771 on: October 03, 2023, 10:54:33 PM »
Maybe my eyes aren't what they used to be when I was helping the FBI detect Universal horror fakes, but isn't this a hairy belt poster?

https://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=6621624
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 10:59:00 PM by crowzilla »
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8772 on: October 04, 2023, 10:56:16 AM »
Just want to say that Bruce handled that as quickly and well as I thought he would, and the auction looks really good so far.
It's great to add so many items to my watch list that are "completely unrestored", while also feeling any restored pieces have been properly explained and identified.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8773 on: October 04, 2023, 12:05:04 PM »
That's essential to me.  Should I ever sell any of my gear, I would go to the person I know, and although I have never met him in person, Bruce has always been there to answer my questions and doubts.  His team is very knowledgeable and passionate, and very good at handling issues (case in point, that Star Wars poster) and he himself replies promptly. 

To be honest, I don't even know who's in charge at HA anymore.  They had a few erroneous listings at their last Sig Auction which I pointed out, they eventually (after a while) removed those listings, but no one ever got back to me, let alone said thank you.  I feel like the whole movie poster side of that auction house, which, I get it, is a drop in the bucket compared to their other auctions, is without a driver since Grey left.

T
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 12:06:47 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #8774 on: October 04, 2023, 02:58:48 PM »
To be honest, I don't even know who's in charge at HA anymore.  They had a few erroneous listings at their last Sig Auction which I pointed out, they eventually (after a while) removed those listings, but no one ever got back to me, let alone said thank you.  I feel like the whole movie poster side of that auction house, which, I get it, is a drop in the bucket compared to their other auctions, is without a driver since Grey left.

T

I had the exact same experience: I pointed out several errors in their last couple of Signature auctions (including a French 1951 re-release poster for La Belle et la Bete that had been mistakenly identified as from the 1946 first release) and never heard back from anyone (although they did amend their listings, so I guess there's that).  Heritage does feel a bit rudderless in their movie department these days...