Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2197351 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7850 on: June 07, 2017, 06:39:51 PM »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7851 on: June 07, 2017, 10:59:21 PM »
Who is the 70mm guy?  I mean, does he just like spending money for spending money?  Is he a dealer? Anyone knows?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7852 on: June 07, 2017, 11:27:50 PM »
Who is the 70mm guy?

Hope this doesn't refer to his manhood

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7853 on: June 08, 2017, 01:02:11 AM »
I doubt he/she is a dealer as some of the prices he pays are far beyond what a dealer could expect to receive from a fully priced retail sale. Just a guy with deep pockets who want's an instant collection. Great for the hobby, unless you are bidding against him of course.

I have seen him bit against Galaxy a few times and they were pushing prices to crazy levels - $400 for a lost in translation quad.
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7854 on: June 08, 2017, 01:34:37 AM »
And whoever 70MM is, he/she has been around and bidding on emp quite a while, too, taking no prisoners in the bidding battles.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:04:05 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Chris9000

• Collector
« Reply #7856 on: June 12, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »
And whoever 70MM is, he/she has been around and bidding on emp quite a while, too, taking no prisoners in the bidding battles.

He/She is all over Bruce's "Major" OS linen auction with some high bids as well... be curious to watch how high they go on some of these.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7857 on: June 12, 2017, 03:23:26 PM »
He/She is all over Bruce's "Major" OS linen auction with some high bids as well... be curious to watch how high they go on some of these.

When I see 70mm step in, I expect to be outbid these days.  My current nemesis is onesheet.  Unfortunately, (s)he doesn't stick with one sheets.  I win some and lose some there.  One particular lobby in Bruce's major has had the gauntlet thrown down, but I fully intend to stand firm.
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7858 on: June 12, 2017, 03:44:55 PM »
you should be happy that there are still people willing to pay good prices for posters. Most of the hobby is made of buyers and bidders looking for the cheapest price possible and it's difficult to make a profitable business selling $10 posters or especially $1 posters for 99.9999% of people.

don't forget that someday you may all want to sell your collections also, and as Mel pointed out, he was in for $137k and when he got out, he got back $95k and when you consider his collection was not largely inexpensive posters, that is by itself, a message to what you can expect when you sell out.

Sean and I have had this discussion many times and with the exceptions of material we bought many many moons ago, neither of us expects to break even on our own collections. So when there is a buyer or two or three willing to pay good prices, it isn't just better for the seller of that item - it's good for the entirety of the hobby

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7859 on: June 12, 2017, 04:32:03 PM »
Sean and I have had this discussion many times and with the exceptions of material we bought many many moons ago, neither of us expects to break even on our own collections. So when there is a buyer or two or three willing to pay good prices, it isn't just better for the seller of that item - it's good for the entirety of the hobby

And the long time collectors need to look at the overall collection.  Yeah, I have a Star Wars 1 sheet I bought for $20, but I probably have 10 '70s comedies that are now worth nothing.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7860 on: June 12, 2017, 04:35:36 PM »

For sure.

And see what kind of "poster battles" might erupt in the process.

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #7861 on: June 12, 2017, 04:42:46 PM »
and as Mel pointed out, he was in for $137k and when he got out, he got back $95k and when you consider his collection was not largely inexpensive posters, that is by itself, a message to what you can expect when you sell out.

Yeah I lost 50K over 5.5 years in Round 1 - inc. 8K on abandoned frames & misc. - but it is certain I would have otherwise blown that money on a depreciating asset like a fancy car, expensive vacations, etc. If I had lived in "normal" America I might have bought a house, but the cost was $650K in DC - $1,000,000+ in the best areas - way beyond my income level/savings. (Everybody I knew who bought were married couples with two six-figure salaries and/or family help.)

And I had a lot of fun in Round 1:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7862 on: June 12, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »
And I had a lot of fun in Round 1:

And that, folks, is what it's all about.  Not money.  Money should be irrelevant as long as you enjoy yourself.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7863 on: June 12, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »
And the long time collectors need to look at the overall collection.  Yeah, I have a Star Wars 1 sheet I bought for $20, but I probably have 10 '70s comedies that are now worth nothing.

totally

Yeah I lost 50K over 5.5 years in Round 1 - inc. 8K on abandoned frames & misc. - but it is certain I would have otherwise blown that money on a depreciating asset like a fancy car, expensive vacations, etc. If I had lived in "normal" America I might have bought a house, but the cost was $650K in DC - $1,000,000+ in the best areas - way beyond my income level/savings. (Everybody I knew who bought were married couples with two six-figure salaries and/or family help.)

And I had a lot of fun in Round 1

exactly. you had fun. that other buyer with lots of money is also having fun.

And that, folks, is what it's all about.  Not money.  Money should be irrelevant as long as you enjoy yourself.

T

correct. I enjoy my collection and every piece I add to it. Although, 'irrelevant' is more how we snobs look at cash. Again, for those lower on the scale, money has a far different meaning. Most people you meet during the day need that $100 for living more than we do for a Star Wars poster.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7864 on: June 15, 2017, 03:21:49 AM »
It's the 70mmWIDESCREEN show in Bruce's major auction, interesting to see how many "wins" he/she ends up with.
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7865 on: June 15, 2017, 04:56:17 AM »
With that many interests, ie ongoing bids, I wonder how s/he manages to monitor the last five minutes worth of activity for extended bidding etc.

(Unless of course, max bids are placed on all and just left to providence...)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7866 on: June 15, 2017, 07:47:52 AM »
With that many interests, ie ongoing bids, I wonder how s/he manages to monitor the last five minutes worth of activity for extended bidding etc.

Get a feeling that price is not an issue with him.  Places nuclear bids and sits back.  I notice that he only bid on the items closing today.  You will probably see his bids for Sunday items Sat night.

I also look at his choices and see he is only bidding on status items.  He has been around a few years, and he must have some of these items.  Dealer?  Speculator?
-Jay-

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #7867 on: June 15, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »

This has to be a dealer, keep bidding on same titles over and over ala JAWS1975 or whatever that ID was. Probably same person.  Bet they get a kick out of the speculation who they are.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7868 on: June 15, 2017, 05:12:18 PM »
When I see 70mm step in, I expect to be outbid these days.  My current nemesis is onesheet.  Unfortunately, (s)he doesn't stick with one sheets.  I win some and lose some there.  One particular lobby in Bruce's major has had the gauntlet thrown down, but I fully intend to stand firm.

Isn't this chap WaltfilmUSA (or something like that) on Ebay? Reason I think it's him is he outbid me on a Laura 1sheet at Emovie a while back and a month later he added a Laura 1sheet. I's possible it's pure coincidence.

Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7869 on: June 15, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »
I really liked that Rocky one sheet a lot better last Thursday prior to any bids.  Holy cow.
-Brian

Offline Devon70

• Beginner
« Reply #7870 on: June 15, 2017, 07:48:22 PM »
I used to collect coins until the investors came in and ran/priced out the middle class people like me. There was a big fall in the market a couple of years ago because when prices started dropping, the middle people aren't there to provide a floor and buy. Of course if you're wealthy it doesn't matter but price does matter for the vast majority of collectors. Just my experience from being in another hobby.

guest4955

« Reply #7871 on: June 15, 2017, 09:06:11 PM »
I really liked that Rocky one sheet a lot better last Thursday prior to any bids.  Holy cow.

An ugly B&W photo poster for sure only a mother could love.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7872 on: June 16, 2017, 02:25:53 AM »
Rocky is truly an iconic work, and it's cool to see such a rare 1S.

This image really captures the tenacity of Rocky, goes with the similar black and white theme of the regular 1S, etc.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7873 on: June 16, 2017, 03:53:52 AM »
Isn't this chap WaltfilmUSA (or something like that) on Ebay? Reason I think it's him is he outbid me on a Laura 1sheet at Emovie a while back and a month later he added a Laura 1sheet. I's possible it's pure coincidence.

Marc

unlikely. Walter isn't buying multiple copies of anything

-------

guest4955

« Reply #7874 on: June 18, 2017, 01:23:17 PM »
Very curious what this breathtaking Scarlet Empress will bring once the bidding brawl ends:

My bet? 16.5K.....