Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2200195 times)

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7725 on: January 23, 2017, 01:53:11 AM »
Jeff i like how you said "long with 23.00 for shipping! Ouch." Every poster i buy i have to pay that to get them here in Australia hence why i buy a large number of posters off one person - very rare i buy only one and it has to be a great deal. I do always factor in the shipping cost with every purchase. You guys over in the states are very lucky with your postage cost. 
The poster is very rare a couple of guys i get posters off from cinemas here didn't have one to give me (i must admit i would have sold it straight away anyway, i split the proceeds with the guys). The ones i got for the movie are the lump post one which was just the US style (no writing).
I am yet to see that version the seller is selling anywhere here but they are around i am sure but compared with the sheer numbers of the US lamp post posters i can sort of understand why someone would pay that price if the US style is selling for $150 - $200. I would be surprised if there was more than 100 of them made.

If there are any other aussies on here id like to know if they have seen one

Cheers
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7726 on: January 23, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »
Every poster i buy i have to pay that to get them here in Australia hence why i buy a large number of posters off one person - very rare i buy only one and it has to be a great deal. I do always factor in the shipping cost with every purchase. You guys over in the states are very lucky with your postage cost. 

you may feel that way, but really, postage costs come out of the seller. Factually, for every dollar shipping goes up is a dollar less that people bid

then, with our newly Republican majority in all three house, they will be doing their best to privatize the post office & costs will skyrocket to match UPS & Fed-x rates

it's not going to be fun.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7727 on: January 23, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »
Hey Damo, if the poster is more rare and was produced in smaller quantities, then I can see it going for a bit more, but it has to do with this movie also being on the 'hot list' and poster collectors feeling the need to have a copy. So, like any auctin, those that want it the most will drive that price up.

In looking at the imagery, it is nice looking but it's basically a posed, photographic shot, with added, digital retouching to make it look even nicer and "sparkle & shine" along with added tweaking to the background elements, etc.

I havent looked this morning to see if it has gone any higher.. and kudos to whoever the winning bidder is.  :)

Re shipping.. i know shipping from AU has always looked to be much more expensive than some surrounding countries. For example, Ive had a couple of rolled Japanese B1s come from Japan to me in southern CA and the cost was about $10.00 USD and they arrived in about a week. So I know shipping can vary quite a bit depending on where a parcel is coming from.

-Jeff

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7728 on: January 23, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »
Thanks Jeff , even though i have only been collecting for a short while i have learnt to stay away from the hot new release posters for a while  - i agree though the prices people are paying for all the La la land posters are insane. Its up to $692 US dollars at current so i think the seller will be throwing a party this weekend.   faint2.gif

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7729 on: January 23, 2017, 03:11:20 PM »
Holy mackerel. Up to $692.00!!! That deserves a a few more  faint2.gif faint2.gif faint2.gif     ;D

-Jeff

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7730 on: January 23, 2017, 03:20:07 PM »
haha agree - it deserves a whole page of  faint2.gif - that was the winning bid - now the seller will be praying the winner pays and that the package doesn't get "lost" in transit.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7731 on: January 23, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »
What's interesting, too, is that the winner bidder has feedback of only 21 and he/she was bidding against an opponent with 15,874 feedback. That one on one battle drove up the price and the "younger" player won.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=262806645916&showauto=true

-Jeff

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7732 on: January 23, 2017, 07:04:16 PM »
$692!!!!!  :D I like the movie and the poster and thought it would close for around $125.  Shows what little I know.
Gratz to the seller and the winner.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7733 on: January 23, 2017, 09:46:34 PM »
$692!!!!!  :D I like the movie and the poster and thought it would close for around $125.  Shows what little I know.
Gratz to the seller and the winner.

if this poster actually sold, I'll eat my dirty socks. You have 3 bidders, with the 21 feedback bidder driving it up all the way

undoubtedly, the seller has a roll of them and is faking a price so he can maybe sell some for a real value..

what a crock.

incredibly, the seller probably had some real bidders up to $145 and thought he could scab the bidders for more.. hilarious
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:47:49 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7734 on: January 24, 2017, 03:07:22 AM »
Ill keep an eye on the seller and see if they re -list the poster and if the buyer leaves feedback  - interesting to see if you are right Rich, it was an insane price

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #7735 on: January 24, 2017, 04:45:43 AM »
It's a high price, but not that unbelievable, is it? 

I've seen lots of people asking for the US one sheets in print groups...folk that do not collect original posters. I think when a film really connects with people, you get that cross over where non-collectors start buying them. This specific design is also English language, double sided, a different (and nice) image and scarcer than the US designs. Perhaps the buyer won't pay, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7736 on: January 24, 2017, 08:02:29 AM »
Yellow & blue in posters... blah... except for my avatar!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:04:46 AM by 50s »

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7737 on: January 24, 2017, 08:06:03 AM »
A different seller jumping into the game with a high opening bid. Can you blame them? Maybe they are a member here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/La-La-Land-Original-Australian-Double-Sided-One-Sheet-movie-poster-/162369437777?

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7738 on: January 24, 2017, 08:08:02 AM »
That's T :-P

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #7739 on: January 24, 2017, 02:52:17 PM »
if this poster actually sold, I'll eat my dirty socks. You have 3 bidders, with the 21 feedback bidder driving it up all the way

undoubtedly, the seller has a roll of them and is faking a price so he can maybe sell some for a real value..

what a crock.

incredibly, the seller probably had some real bidders up to $145 and thought he could scab the bidders for more.. hilarious

Yeah, that would be a no.
I know that seller and he is a very straight up person.  No way he would be doing that.  Nor is there a roll of them waiting to be relisted.  One or two, maybe...
Two people just really wanted one I guess!  Interesting, I am guessing the 15,000+ bidder set their high bid early assuming no one would pay that much, only to have someone with too much money and not enough cents (;) ) outbid them.

It's all about timing.
There were quite a few of these available on ebay late last year, but were all snapped up quickly at much much much much less than this sale price.
It's all about patience.  The number of times people have asked for something, which initially couldn't be gotten, only to have them turn up in droves a few months later...
Ves

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7740 on: January 24, 2017, 04:37:17 PM »
A different seller jumping into the game with a high opening bid. Can you blame them? Maybe they are a member here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/La-La-Land-Original-Australian-Double-Sided-One-Sheet-movie-poster-/162369437777?

Will be interesting to see if anyone bites at this one, with the BIN set at that number.

And how many copies start coming out of the woodwork and being listed for sale.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:39:33 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7741 on: January 24, 2017, 09:34:42 PM »
Yeah, that would be a no.
I know that seller and he is a very straight up person.  No way he would be doing that.  Nor is there a roll of them waiting to be relisted.  One or two, maybe...
Two people just really wanted one I guess!  Interesting, I am guessing the 15,000+ bidder set their high bid early assuming no one would pay that much, only to have someone with too much money and not enough cents (;) ) outbid them.

It's all about timing.
There were quite a few of these available on ebay late last year, but were all snapped up quickly at much much much much less than this sale price.
It's all about patience.  The number of times people have asked for something, which initially couldn't be gotten, only to have them turn up in droves a few months later...

A similar thing has happened to me several times, in my very limited experience with auction sales.  A couple times, the low bidder never paid, and did not respond to emails, and I wondered if people thought there may have been shilling.  The worst part about that scenario is when there are several bidders in the first auction, then when the item is relisted, neither the bidders in the first auction nor any new bidders place bids as high in the relisted auction.  Ultimately the final sale price is much less than it would have been in the first auction.

Anyway, It's good to know that the seller has someone such as yourself to vouch for him, Ves.

What do you think about this Australian poster, in terms of how many were printed and/or will potentially be for sale?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:51:38 PM by Neo »

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #7742 on: January 25, 2017, 12:18:14 AM »
All things being equal there is no question that the aussie posters are rarer than their US counterparts.  And sometimes, like in this instance they are different to the US counterpart...not always.
Would it sell so high again?  I doubt it, but you never know.
Will be interesting to see how long the second listing sits.

As to numbers, it's hit or miss.  I've had titles where months later, as said previously, they turn up in droves.  Other titles, I still can't find a single poster!
My guess is they will surface, just not right now.  The movie is still just showing here...wait it out.  For the bigger release titles, generally speaking they surface eventually...but there is no guarantee.

And Rich, what wine will yer be having with those socks ;)
Ves

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7743 on: January 25, 2017, 12:37:48 AM »
And Rich, what wine will yer be having with those socks ;)

I want a picture of that.  C'mon Rich, shove them all in there.  It's big enough.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7744 on: January 25, 2017, 01:23:44 AM »
A similar thing has happened to me several times, in my very limited experience with auction sales.  A couple times, the low bidder never paid, and did not respond to emails, and I wondered if people thought there may have been shilling.  The worst part about that scenario is when there are several bidders in the first auction, then when the item is relisted, neither the bidders in the first auction nor any new bidders place bids as high in the relisted auction.  Ultimately the final sale price is much less than it would have been in the first auction.

Anyway, It's good to know that the seller has someone such as yourself to vouch for him, Ves.

What do you think about this Australian poster, in terms of how many were printed and/or will potentially be for sale?

Great points and queries, there, Mr B.

I still cant figure why this poster, with a digital image, likely produced and created in the US, would garner such numbers. But a high five to those that feel they want to pay it. It's what keeps the hobby healthy and hopping.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7745 on: January 25, 2017, 03:38:34 AM »
i would love to know what this poster would end up selling for if it wasn't missing the top one third

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4518937

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7746 on: January 28, 2017, 01:32:28 AM »
i would love to know what this poster would end up selling for if it wasn't missing the top one third

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4518937

Well, the last one on EMP sold for a cool $5K, back in 2006.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/14617477.html

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7747 on: January 28, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
I had been thinking about the possibilities with this pair

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4519067
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4519066

Problem is that when you combine the two and add color to the upper half, you still have a sub $100 poster.  It simply isn't worth the effort.  I suppose a possibility would be to buy both for under $10/ea and simply display the bottom of the original with the top of the re-release.
-Jay-

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7748 on: January 28, 2017, 02:23:51 PM »
How many times has this forum dedicated itself to saying, Just enjoy it?  Forget the inherent value.

Might be a way through and to having it on your wall while we are all still alive and kicking...  Maybe.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7749 on: January 28, 2017, 02:44:27 PM »
How many times has this forum dedicated itself to saying, Just enjoy it?  Forget the inherent value.

Might be a way through and to having it on your wall while we are all still alive and kicking...  Maybe.

More along the lines of whether I need another 3 sheet, and if so, probably better to wait for the right one to come along.  I gave it some thought, but in the end it didn't seem right.
-Jay-